PDA

View Full Version : PBL getting ready to go live ...

The Magician
04-16-2007, 03:02 PM
Premier Basketball League To Announce Inaugural Teams
04/16/07 - Premier Basketball League (PBL)
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3454370

(Chicago, IL)...The Premier Basketball League, a professional minor league that will begin play in the winter of 2007-2008, will begin announcing the circuit's inaugural franchises this week. The PBL is comprised of well-funded partners and teams from proven top-caliber franchises and will feature teams in North American markets. The league projects growth in North America and overseas for the 2008-2009 season and beyond with innovative initiatives to bring both the PBL teams to overseas markets, as well as European and Asian teams to America to participate in PBL inter-league play.

"This week begins the start of the Premier Basketball League with many exciting announcements," said PBL co-founder Dr. Severko Hrywnak "We are currently interviewing prospective team owners and speaking with key individuals for league office positions"

The PBL will host a series of national tryout camps around the country throughout the summer and fall months for professional players and college graduates. Locations and dates will be announced shortly.

The Premier Basketball League is an international professional basketball league that will begin play in the winter of 2007-2008. PBL league information can be found on the internet at www.pblpro.com.

Minor League Man
04-16-2007, 03:06 PM
COOL!

Rochester we all know will join.

Also likely are Maryland, Quebec, Jacksonville, and the Chicago Rockstars.

Other than that...STAY TUNED!

tbayz1
04-16-2007, 03:07 PM
Cant wait!!

Minor League Man
04-16-2007, 03:11 PM
Cant wait!!
Here's hoping your Silverbacks will see the light.

I mean, I love a Buffalo-Rochester rivalry!

a1sports
04-16-2007, 03:12 PM
The teams that are in are Rochester and Maryland.

The applications are from:

Hartford
Omaha
Oklahoma City
Denver
Memphis
Dallas-Ft. Worth
Las vegas
Arkansas

Thats all I could find as of today. I know there are a bunch more but I havent got the info yet.

Minor League Man
04-16-2007, 03:42 PM

Hartford
Omaha
Oklahoma City
Denver
Memphis
Dallas-Ft. Worth
Las vegas
Arkansas

Thats all I could find as of today. I know there are a bunch more but I havent got the info yet.

Do these people know the meaning of "Regional league?"

Hartford
Could work out (They could even play at the Hartford Civic Center)

Omaha
Eh...Would be a better fit for D-League.

Oklahoma City
I'm sorry, but I just don't see this working out. For OKC fans, it's NBA or nothing (They'll probably get the NBA by 2010)

Denver
I don't see this working either. Hopefully the Denver Coliseum would let a team in, but I just don't see the fans going there.

Memphis
I suggest either Southhaven or the Pyramid...Then you could get some interest.

Dallas-Fort Worth
Are the Texas Tycoons joining the PBL? If so, may I suggest Reunion Arena?

Las Vegas
Is it the Lights? If so, may I suggest Orleans Arena?

Arkansas
So the Arkansas Aeros are still alive? ALLRIGHT!

Anyway, I think the PBL should try to stay regional for now, and expand outside for 2007-08.

tbayz1
04-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Here's hoping your Silverbacks will see the light.

I mean, I love a Buffalo-Rochester rivalry!

Oo I know, i loved those games, 2yrs of great games id like it to be 3, i havent had the chance to really talk with my connections for about a week and its not like theyre gona tell me everything there is to know, i mean i got a phone call from one connection and jokingly asked what league were gona be in, and honestly he wasnt totally sure, but then again hes not the owner, but still is up there in the organization its the owner Todd Wier's call on this one and i think with our owner being invloved with stocks and investing, the PBL and what it has to offer, i dont see how someone like him can refuse lol, but as long as they play im happy, they might be in the PBL or might be in the ABA, i really dont know, but maybe if they dont jump this year, maybe next year, who knows, i guess we'll have to just wait and see....

But what from a1 said, the league doesnt sound too regional here on the east coast, and Buffalo isnt the richest team and travel would really get em in the butt, but if a few more teams in the east joined like Quebec or a team in the Ohio or Mich or Penn. and put Roch and MD on top of that, it would be a pretty regional on the east coast

SignGuyDino
04-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Hell, maybe one of the owners hit Powerball or something?

I'm still wondering what the "new rules" are going to be?

4 on 4 fullcourt (like Rob Ryder's idea for his 4Ball League)? Ladies playing shirts and skins? What are they?

rams80
04-16-2007, 11:30 PM

Hartford

travel would work here

Omaha
Dana Altman's Creighton program is gonna kill this team

Oklahoma City
The NBA will be here sooner rather than later.

Denver
Anybody got airfare?

Memphis
This better be a euphamism for "Southaven, MS"

Dallas-Ft. Worth
Texas Tycoons?

Las vegas
Anybody got airfare?

Arkansas
Hope the hotel survives.

Judging from the target markets, we seem to be opting for a AAA-level minor league that will be going head to head with the D-League. This could be interesting.

SignGuyDino
04-17-2007, 01:44 AM
This has "World Hockey Association" written all over it.

I'm sorry but that's how I see it. A created AAA level league that's international, with teams way too spread out.

Don't get me wrong, I'm for any legitimate minor sports league to be successful. I just don't see this taking off without a TON of upfront capital and frankly a cable TV deal to get publicity.

I'm wondering what the "rules changes" and "game we've never seen before" could mean. It IS conceivable that IF this league worked, they could have a summer regional league to get players in game shape for the PBL. (The WBA basically does this for players trying to get to D-league and NBA summer camps.)

It's just a thought. I guess we have to wait and see and speculate some more.

tbayz1
04-17-2007, 04:12 PM
well we have 2 for sure, Roch and MD pretty obvious

and a1 gave us 8 potential teams and correct me if im wrong but the PBL plans to have 16, so that would leave 6 more openings for teams

so a1, hear anything on potential teams, or teams that applied for the PBL in your findings?

The one thing that is shocking to me is that these teams listed arent too regional, especially since they are expanison teams that know one prolly knows about yet and im also surprised theres not more on the east coast too, but other than that looks like the PBL has a good plan and is doing things right!

logoguru
04-18-2007, 01:50 PM
....Sweet!!! Someone may have seen the light! WE NEEED pro sports downtown. There are new owners for the Civic Center...MSG out and AEG is in. Oddly enough AEG mentioned a D-league team as a possibility - even though they didnt want the HCC to be affiliated with NYC teams...kind of odd. The Wolf Pack seem out asap, even though theyre going to win a championship this season. Minor league basketball at HCC hasn't faired well, the Pride and the Hellcats, which folded midseason, are two recent examples. We had some moderate success in the CBA in the 70s.

With all this said: It will be hard to attract fans downtown. May I suggest the University of Hartford w/ student discounts, etc to start? Its kind of out of the way, but could attract more families than downtown and its a smaller venue...you can always upgrade later. Maybe the new convention center...its in a more accessible part of downtown and would be a smaller venue.

May I suggest my company at seanvonfelden.com/design for all your sports logos needs!!!
________
Class Action Lawsuit (http://classactionsettlements.org/)

Chuck the Writer
04-19-2007, 08:01 PM
We've been down this road before, methinks. After the collapse of the original ABA, several organizations put together a new eight-team league, the All-American Basketball Alliance.

The teams in that league -

Rochester
Kentucky
New York
Indiana
Carolina
Georgia
Richmond
West Virginia

You know what happened? The league folded in the middle of its maiden season.

A side note - the Rochester franchise moved intact to the CBA in 1978, and won two championships in five years as the Rochester Zeniths.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose.

SignGuyDino
04-19-2007, 09:50 PM
No hablo francés.

Minor League Man
04-19-2007, 10:25 PM
No hablo francés.
"The more things change, the more they stay the same"

SignGuyDino
04-19-2007, 10:31 PM
Да, я собрал то.

Minor League Man
04-19-2007, 10:34 PM
Да, я собрал то.
Yes, I have collected that.

SignGuyDino
04-20-2007, 03:22 PM
The Premier Basketball League, a professional minor league that will begin play in the winter of 2007-2008, will begin announcing the circuit's inaugural franchises this week.

The "big announcement coming soon" syndrome strikes again....

rider
04-20-2007, 04:10 PM
To my great disappointment the PBL failed to keep their word this week not announcing the new teams or at least one. I was looking forward to a league that would stick to their word and do what they say. they announced they would announce teams this week and didn't, at least if you can't for what ever reason you have to let the world know other wise your credibility is gone. The media and fans will blow you a way. To bad was looking so forward to some fresh air.

Minor League Man
04-20-2007, 05:19 PM
To my great disappointment the PBL failed to keep their word this week not announcing the new teams or at least one. I was looking forward to a league that would stick to their word and do what they say. they announced they would announce teams this week and didn't, at least if you can't for what ever reason you have to let the world know other wise your credibility is gone. The media and fans will blow you a way. To bad was looking so forward to some fresh air.
30 minutes...Wait and see...

QC_Hawks_fan
04-20-2007, 05:22 PM
Premier Basketball League Announces Teams
04/20/07 - Premier Basketball League (PBL)

(Chicago, IL)...The Premier Basketball League announced today the first four markets that will be charter members of the new professional basketball minor league. The Maryland Nighthawks and the Rochester RazorSharks will be the inaugural franchises in the PBL, with market commitments in Connecticut and Texas having been secured. The PBL will begin play in the winter of 2007-2008 and will be comprised of well-funded partners and teams from proven top-caliber franchises featuring teams in North American markets.

The Nighthawks, a standard bearer both on and off the court during their three years in professional basketball, will join a league prepared to take the combination of fast-paced basketball and family entertainment to a new level. The PBL will not only offer fans affordable sports entertainment, but will also re-establish the fan-player bond that was once the foundation of professional athletics.

Maryland received world-wide attention in 2007 when the organization signed 7'9" Sun Ming Ming from China. The team was featured on every major television network and newspaper both nationally and internationally. The excitement was heightened by the appearance on NBC's Today Show by Maryland Nighthawks Co-Owner, Tom Doyle and Sun Ming Ming

The Nighthawks ownership group of Tom Doyle, Jeanette McCool and Ferhan Doyle stated, "we are very excited to begin play in the PBL and look forward to working with the league and the other fine organizations that will join us in this new venture."

The Rochester RazorSharks are owned by the Hrywnak brothers - Dr. Severko Hrywnak, Orest Hrywnak and Roman Hrywnak - and won the ABA championship in 2006 with a 30-4 record. The RazorSharks led all of minor league basketball in attendance the past two seasons, averaging over 4,000 fans per game at The Blue Cross Arena. Rochester has a 54-10 overall record in their two seasons of play as a professional franchise.

The RazorSharks were named the ABA's Organization of the Year in 2006 and Owner/General Manager Orest Hrywnak was named the league's Executive of the Year. Rochester Head Coach Rod Baker was named the league's Coach of the Year after leading the team to the league playoff championship in March of 2006. According to PBL Co-Founder Dr. Hrywnak, "having two tremendous organization like the Nighthawks and RazorSharks as cornerstones of the league will get minor league basketball fans excited about the plans for the new league as well as for the future of minor league basketball. Basketball fans should be anxiously awaiting announcements from additional top organizations in the coming weeks."

The PBL will host a series of national tryout camps around the country throughout the summer and fall months for professional players and college graduates. Locations and dates will be announced shortly.

SignGuyDino
04-20-2007, 07:11 PM
30 minutes...Wait and see...

Good work, MLM. Nice to see I was wrong.

rams80
04-20-2007, 07:22 PM
So much for a regional footprint.

SignGuyDino
04-21-2007, 12:01 AM
It is a regional footprint. Terran Region.

If I gripe about the website enough, will they update it? Maybe switch back to that orange and white logo that looked better.

Minor League Man
04-21-2007, 12:11 AM
It is a regional footprint. Terran Region.

If I gripe about the website enough, will they update it? Maybe switch back to that orange and white logo that looked better.
I think Rochester, Maryland, and Hartford are pretty close together, don't you?

Texas BETTER play at Reunion Arena (Only available venue in the Dallas-Fort Worth metroplex).

I think they MIGHT take a Midwestern footing? (Chicago Rockstars, Minnesota Ripknees, etc.)

SignGuyDino
04-21-2007, 12:24 AM
Yeah, but Texas is nowhere close to the others. Of course, they want to make this a "global" league. They better show some serious coin.

By the way, it's still more probable than THIS league taking off: www.n-xbl.com

Shootmaster_44
04-21-2007, 01:05 AM
Yeah, but Texas is nowhere close to the others. Of course, they want to make this a "global" league. They better show some serious coin.

By the way, it's still more probable than THIS league taking off: www.n-xbl.com

That is one weird league. Be kinda interesting to see a game in person and see how many players get hit with balls from their own team.

AConcernedCitizen
04-21-2007, 06:06 AM
PBL wants international teams? Hope they mean Hamilton Ontario...

This already doesn't seem too sound...:confused:

bomp
04-21-2007, 09:49 AM
Maybe they will have a trade deal with a discount airline? Who knows?

bdaly
04-21-2007, 09:58 AM
I think Rochester, Maryland, and Hartford are pretty close together, don't you?

Exactly. They obviously aren't done announcing teams. If they create two regional divisions, it can work. Now, if the rest of the teams are in the NE and Texas is left hanging out there, it obviously won't work. I'm sure we'll get a better feeling for their direction when they announce another group of teams.

tbayz1
04-23-2007, 07:47 PM
anyone hear anything about some teams we might see that are next to join?

a1 hear anything, u seem to know a lot bout the PBL potential teams

huh maybe Kissimee will be the next franchise annouced ;) Good Luck Zeke!!!

zeke41
04-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Thanks, Tbayz1. Kissimmee won't be the next team announced (unless some crazy miracle happens). I'm slowing things down a bit. Although several people expressed interest, it's still not enough to provide a solid foundation that is necessary. I've got some work to do, but I think that 2008-2009 is more feasible. I'm not counting 2007-2008 completely out yet, but I am a realist.

I have a lot of sticks in the fire right now, though, so I'll have to see what happens over the next couple of months. I've seen God do some miraculous things, but I also don't have the same feeling about this venture as I have about other things where God made something wonderful come to pass despite the human odds.

Looks like the talk is that Buffalo is staying in the ABA? Also looks like some people are quick to jump off the PBL bandwagon. It should be interesting to see what happens. In my personal opinion, if Joe can fudge the ABA together and run it so horribly, I'm sure that the PBL leadership can put together a sound league, especially considering the success that Maryland and Rochester have had over the past 2-3years. Some long distance travel and international talk, though. We'll have to see what happens!

tbayz1
04-24-2007, 05:18 AM
oo well taking your time is better than rushing, hope ya get in next year, so you have this year to build up and get ready!!

and buffalo.....idk lol

i guess we will all have to wait and see whos next to join, maybe a1 will chime in and give us a lil info though

rider
04-25-2007, 08:54 AM
The PBL appears to be stalled with their big announcement of annoucing teams two weeks ago. The announcement of the obvious being Rochester and Maryland plus two undisclosed franchises seems fairly weak.They really didn't annouce anything.The announcement of Connecticut and Texas with no details suggests real problems and no vision.They need to disclose some solid information very soon on franchises ,ownership groups , leases or their in trouble. I don't think that Rochester or Maryland ownership groups have that national profile or contacts outside of the ABA to draw strong ownership groups to the table.When your reference point is the ABA your in trouble in terms of trying to put a league together with fiancial standards sigificantly higher than your reference groups are capable of.. Its obvious to me they are weak in the area of executive staff with national knowledge of indiviuals with the fiancial ability to make this happen. Rossi is a solid operations guy but they need a firm or individual that has the contacts with sports money people and Arena management.
They really have only one reference point in a credible arena being at the Blue Cross Arena , Maryland doesn't play in a bonefide arena.

Let's go PBL! Get qualified people or firms in the franchise business in quickly to move this great opportunity to move forward!

Give the world a "bone" before you lose the juice!

bectond
04-25-2007, 11:42 AM
The PBL appears to be stalled with their big announcement of annoucing teams two weeks ago. The announcement of the obvious being Rochester and Maryland plus two undisclosed franchises seems fairly weak.They really didn't annouce anything.The announcement of Connecticut and Texas with no details suggests real problems and no vision.They need to disclose some solid information very soon on franchises ,ownership groups , leases or their in trouble. I don't think that Rochester or Maryland ownership groups have that national profile or contacts outside of the ABA to draw strong ownership groups to the table.When your reference point is the ABA your in trouble in terms of trying to put a league together with fiancial standards sigificantly higher than your reference groups are capable of.. Its obvious to me they are weak in the area of executive staff with national knowledge of indiviuals with the fiancial ability to make this happen. Rossi is a solid operations guy but they need a firm or individual that has the contacts with sports money people and Arena management.
They really have only one reference point in a credible arena being at the Blue Cross Arena , Maryland doesn't play in a bonefide arena.

Let's go PBL! Get qualified people or firms in the franchise business in quickly to move this great opportunity to move forward!

Give the world a "bone" before you lose the juice!

Great Response!!!!!!

This new age basketball leagues remind me of game theory.

In Prisoners dilemma, players are rewarded for defecting against their opponent, even though everyone would be better off if they all could cooperate.

psbf
04-25-2007, 01:45 PM
the PBL, but I have to agree with Rider.
As far as the two other teams(Ct. and Tex), I keep wondering if the Texas team mentioned is the Tycoons.

rider
04-25-2007, 07:47 PM
Please understand I clearly support the efforts of the PBL! I applaud their stand against the ABA.Both Rochester and Maryland ran good operations but running a local franchise and having knowlegde to put together the bigger vision is not easy. Go PBL

logoguru
04-25-2007, 10:19 PM
If a team were to come to Hartford Id be hard pressed not to check it out. I would NEVER go to an ABA game....I wouldnt know if they would cancel, etc. Im glad this league IS taking its time. Joe pays his rent with expansion fees so it benifits him personally to accept as many expansion teams as possible and to have a high turnover of suckers.
________
HERBAL VAPORIZERS (http://johan-luis.tumblr.com/)

rider
04-27-2007, 01:51 PM
Unfortunately another week has pased by on the PBL! Standards Standards! They have in my opinion (which means nothing) 30 days to make this happen!If they haven't got things settled by June 1, it shouldn't happen and won't happen this year! June 1 would mean they have only five months to prepare properly which is barely enough!

Each of the next 30 days with out a announcement means it won't happen.Only 20 business days!