PDA

View Full Version : Single elimination for the Playoffs really sucks

sky1
04-14-2007, 11:36 PM
I don't know what everybody else thinks but this single elimination for the playoffs really sucks. The only playoff game I will see in Sioux Falls will be this Tuesday. Sioux Falls fans are definitely not used to seeing this structure for the playoffs. If the dleague wants to get better attendance then they better start with having best 3 of 5 for the playoffs and best 4 of 7 for the championship series. It makes sense for the teams in the league because they would make more money and the fans would get to see more games.

USBasket_EricE
04-14-2007, 11:45 PM
LOL. You've said the exact same thing in like three different threads! I do agree with you in some ways, but it's a money saver for me this year. I know a lot of people do not agree with me on this one, but in a way I like it. If a team plays a bad game and loses, tough. That team worked hard all season and they know what they are faced with. If they really want to win the game, they'll do it. If not, then maybe they aren't the best team. Plus, the team that earned the best record will for sure get to hold a championship game, whether it's a division championship game or the league championship game. I always thought that teams in the CBA got ripped off if they were the number one team and wound up winning the championship away from their fans during a best-of-5 series or best-of-3 series, whichever. You can all have your own opinions while I have mine.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 05:11 PM
I like the format for the reason Eric said (championship game at home), but other than that, I HATE it. The Wizards (or maybe the Stampede) are the hottest team in the league right now. They'd probably get by every team except for Idaho (and maybe them too; they'd just be a big challenge), but in this format, the 3-seeds could easily end up playing in the championship. As a Wizards fan, it's horrible, but as a T-Birds fan or some other team with not as good of a record, it's probably good.

The way the Wizards have been blowing everyone out as of late (except Sioux Falls, which we should have won), I'd say they'd win the championship, but now, I'm actually expecting them to lose in the Eastern Division championship. I'm not trying to be pessimistic, but that could happen very easily.

It reminds me of the CBA's winner-take-all championships. Those were so exciting, but I couldn't stand them.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 06:52 PM
One game is definitley more exciting but for the higher seeds it sucks. As a 3 seed I am lovin it. :) It's easier to travel to the games if you are away when you dont have to stay for a week to see a series though

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 07:40 PM
From the Bismarck Tribune:
Joerger has said repeatedly the regular-season title was most important because of the D-League's single-elimination playoff format.

"This is the biggest deal - we feel like we're the champs right now, and Idaho should feel the same way,"Joerger said. "Now we'll see what happens, but this is something nobody can take away."

Joerger is completely right. As a Wizards fan, I should feel that we are the champions no matter what happens this Saturday and the next game if there is one. Idaho fans should feel the same. No disrespect to the Skyforce, Flyers, 14ers, or T-Birds fans, but that's the way I feel.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 08:03 PM
Well are record is mis-leading. I believe we do have a better squad then Colorado and maybe a Randy Livingston-ess Stampede in the West...

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 08:14 PM
And yet again, I agree. I've agreed with too much today.

Well, the Wizards are the best team for the entire season, but the T-Birds could easily become the best team now. So there's actually, in a way, two champions this year (or three, if you include Idaho).

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 08:35 PM
I'll see you in Dakota....

Hopefully...

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 08:38 PM
I'll see you in Dakota....

Hopefully...

Yeah, hopefully.

Go Wizards and T-Birds (for 2 games)!

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 08:42 PM
Amen to that

mzracing76
04-18-2007, 02:48 AM
exactly, single elimination sucks. this is the Pros, not College. I liked the old format that the CBA used from 1991-1999.

First Round.........Divisional Round.......Best of Five
Second Round.....Conference Finals.....Best of Five
Third Round........League Finals..........Best of Seven

in order to win the League Championship, you had to win 10 games. Thats the way the playoffs should work at this level. Sioux Falls earned that title in 1996. we played a very good Oklahoma City Cavalry in the first round and beat them in 4 games, then went on to beat the Florida Beachdogs (Rapid City Thrillers) in the Conference Finals in a very emotional 5 game series where we beat them in game 5. that was one series i will cherish forever. We beat perhaps the best coach in the league at that time (Eric Musselman), and on his own turf. Three (3) of those games were 1 point games. and that was our #1 rival at the time going back to the RC Days.

Playoff Series creates rivalries.

Eric? when you and your coach says you are the champs by just winning the Division, i dont agree with that. that is only a Division Title. and next year when we have 16 teams, we will have 4 divisions of 4 teams. to me, division titles are nice, but they are not a League Championship. So i dont agree with Coach Jeoger on that. Yes it was nice to win the division this year cause it gave you home court for all three games, but it was just a division title. nothing special. I dont put that as a League Champion in no way shape or form. and i dont understand why you said that a playoff series screwed the CBA teams that had the better records in the past. atleast in a Playoff Series, you may be the best team, but have a bad game in game one, but you have 3 other chances to win the series. all a single game elimination type of format does is help the Hotter team win, and that team could be a team with a losing record, but is playing well at the time. Single Elination sucks, trust me. I have been to alot of Post Season games over the last 10-15 years.

Mo McHone and the Sioux Falls Skyforce are concentrated on the Big Picture, and that is the 2007-NBDL Championship.

these last two years that we made the playoffs, these have not been "TRUE" playoffs, they are a joke, but we must play the game the way the league sets them up, and we knew the rules a head of time. so we take what we get.

Hopefully next year, we get what we ask for and get Three Rounds of Playoff Series like the old days. and by what i hear, 1/2 the owners would rather want a Playoff Series. I know our players do.

MZ

jjbballfan
04-18-2007, 04:46 PM
3 rounds of 3 would be good if you go any bigger the NBA is going to complain if you cut down on the season fans are going to complain. for now a best of 3 would be good... mz what was the deal in Sioux Falls, they had one of there lowest attendences for there playoff game???

USBasket_EricE
04-18-2007, 05:52 PM
Eric? when you and your coach says you are the champs by just winning the Division, i dont agree with that. that is only a Division Title. and next year when we have 16 teams, we will have 4 divisions of 4 teams. to me, division titles are nice, but they are not a League Championship. So i dont agree with Coach Jeoger on that. Yes it was nice to win the division this year cause it gave you home court for all three games, but it was just a division title. nothing special. I dont put that as a League Champion in no way shape or form. and i dont understand why you said that a playoff series screwed the CBA teams that had the better records in the past. atleast in a Playoff Series, you may be the best team, but have a bad game in game one, but you have 3 other chances to win the series. all a single game elimination type of format does is help the Hotter team win, and that team could be a team with a losing record, but is playing well at the time. Single Elination sucks, trust me. I have been to alot of Post Season games over the last 10-15 years.

First off, I didn't say anything about the Wizards being champions just because they won the division. Of course there needs to be play-offs. I'm saying that since D-League teams are faced with single game eliminations, they have their work cut out for them. They know that they need to focus on winning that one game and move on. In the end, whoever wants it the most will obviously win it.

I'm not saying that play-off series are bad either. I would just prefer that they be played in a way so that the higher seed will for sure get to host the game when the trophy is hoisted. If the D-League had play-off series, I'd want them to be in a 1-2 or 2-3 format (the higher seed getting the last games), depending on how many games are played. That's what I meant by CBA teams (and NBA teams) getting ripped off - the possiblity of not hosting the potential championship game when they've earned the better record.

This year, I've got personal reasons for liking the way it is right now. I have a lot going on this month and likely wouldn't have had the money for 4-6 more games. I really don't care how they do it next year because I'm done after this season. Not forever, but no more season tickets and the only games I'll for sure attend next year will be the season opener, the New Year's Eve game, and, if they make it that far, the championship game(s). That is unless something miraculous happens like me winning the lottery, giving me the ability to skip college, retire young, and attend all the Wizards home and road games, getting from city to city with my new private jet. Now that would be nice.

This year, it is what it is. I can like something since there's no changing it, can't I?

DakotaWizardsFan
04-18-2007, 06:36 PM
First off, I didn't say anything about the Wizards being champions just because they won the division. Of course there needs to be play-offs. I'm saying that since D-League teams are faced with single game eliminations, they have their work cut out for them. They know that they need to focus on winning that one game and move on. In the end, whoever wants it the most will obviously win it.

I'm not saying that play-off series are bad either. I would just prefer that they be played in a way so that the higher seed will for sure get to host the game when the trophy is hoisted. If the D-League had play-off series, I'd want them to be in a 1-2 or 2-3 format (the higher seed getting the last games), depending on how many games are played. That's what I meant by CBA teams (and NBA teams) getting ripped off - the possiblity of not hosting the potential championship game when they've earned the better record.

This year, I've got personal reasons for liking the way it is right now. I have a lot going on this month and likely wouldn't have had the money for 4-6 more games. I really don't care how they do it next year because I'm done after this season. Not forever, but no more season tickets and the only games I'll for sure attend next year will be the season opener, the New Year's Eve game, and, if they make it that far, the championship game(s). That is unless something miraculous happens like me winning the lottery, giving me the ability to skip college, retire young, and attend all the Wizards home and road games, getting from city to city with my new private jet. Now that would be nice.

This year, it is what it is. I can like something since there's no changing it, can't I?

I think I was the one who said that Joerger said that and that I agreed, not Eric.

The Wizards were the best team in the league, not just division winners. That shows who was able to maintain the best team throughout the season. Single-elimination playoffs (more like tournament) really screw teams like the Wizards and the Stampede, who have the best records, but could get knocked out by let's say, 24-26 Albuquerque. And I know they are underrated, but still, they're an under-.500 team. So maybe the hottest team now could be Sioux Falls (whether it is or not). They would win the championship, but did they have the best record for the whole span of the season? No, the Wizards and the Stampede did. But, one mistake and they're out and looking toward next year, hoping for a better format. This system is too unpredictable. With series (even a best-of-three), you can make a better guess at who wins and the higher seeds have a better shot. The only advantage the Wizards have is home-court advantage, which don't get me wrong, it's a good advantage, but it's not enough to make this fair.

EDIT: Then I hope you win the lottery. As for me, I hopefully still have 3 more years of Wizards basketball.

And did my post make sense? It seemed like it continued on and on without a great point.

sky1
04-18-2007, 10:00 PM
I think Siouxfalls Skyforce attendance wasnt bad for a Tuesday since they started selling tickets on Monday that was only one day of sales. They would have had a much larger attendance if they had more days to sell tickets and had the game say on Friday or Saturday.

USBasket_EricE
04-18-2007, 11:31 PM
Ha! $100,000,000 sounds good to me. I could by the team then. How did I get started on the lottery again!

Your post made sense. I wind up going on and on about things too, but oh well. The play-offs are what they are so I guess we have to deal with it. That's all the more I'm going to post on this topic... I think.

SignGuyDino
04-18-2007, 11:54 PM
The Asheville Altitude got a trophy and a banner for the regular season and the postseason title. Although the postseason title is the "official" title, if I was a player, I'd put "NBDL regular season champion" on my resume if it was true.

At this time of year, with competition in the arena (scheduling against more lucrative events), the D-League simply is not going to be able to reserve possible dates for each venue for potential 3 or 5 game series. It just ain't flying when the arena can schedule far more lucrative concerts or trade shows.

Until the D-League can pack the house, IF that could ever happen, they have no leverage. I personally like the "one-and-done" format because it tells fans if they want to root for their team they better show up for the game and not just say "well, I can go to game 2" and no-show. The main thing they need to do is make sure any playoff game is on a Friday or Saturday night.

Part of the reason I think the D-League should play smaller venues, like large high schools, or small college gyms, until their attendance justifies a larger barn. It's not like they'd lose more money, and the atmosphere would be far better than watching 1,500 people on TV spread out in a 10,000 seat venue.

mzracing76
04-19-2007, 02:28 AM
monday-tuesday-wednesday's have always been our low average attendance in the teams history for years. even when we were averaging 5000 fans, our attendance would fall 500-1000 fans a game on those days. for some reason, our fans just dont show up in big numbers during the early week night games. it averages out though.

the skyforce were only expecting around 3000 or so that game anyways.

SIGNPRO GUY? your an idiot, no Professional team like Sioux Falls and Dakota are going to play in a Highschool Gym..we get the people to fill our arena. and most these teams have a lease with the City to play in the Arena's or Civic Center's.

these are not HIghschool teams.

SignGuyDino
04-19-2007, 03:05 AM
SIGNPRO GUY? your an idiot

Uhhhhhh....nah, too easy...a cardboard cookie will be given to the first one who can deflate the argument by the genius above....

Pounder
04-19-2007, 12:34 PM
It is too easy. It deflates itself. You'll have to give mz the cookie. I prefer grilled salmon.

Actually, I think there's something to be said for someone NEEDING to learn to make it work in bigger buildings. Besides, no beer, no league IMO.

It's even possible that, after copious amounts of hallucinogens and other questionable substances, you could argue that Joe Newman provides a laboratory to provide that opportunity to find out what works... obviously with a cost. It seems to make some wicked sort of sense that someone would be trying to make money off an experiment instead of spending copious amounts to find out what doesn't work.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-19-2007, 05:50 PM
At this time of year, with competition in the arena (scheduling against more lucrative events), the D-League simply is not going to be able to reserve possible dates for each venue for potential 3 or 5 game series. It just ain't flying when the arena can schedule far more lucrative concerts or trade shows.

Until the D-League can pack the house, IF that could ever happen, they have no leverage. I personally like the "one-and-done" format because it tells fans if they want to root for their team they better show up for the game and not just say "well, I can go to game 2" and no-show. The main thing they need to do is make sure any playoff game is on a Friday or Saturday night.

Unlike most teams, the Wiz and Force actually draw fans. And we don't get that many concerts here so it isn't a huge problem. Wizards basketball is the biggest thing at this time of the year.

Pounder
04-19-2007, 06:47 PM
Unlike most teams, the Wiz and Force actually draw fans.

Dang braggarts! ;)

That's just the thing. What can the leagues learn from Sioux Falls and Dakota? Is it just ownership, location, and relative lack of competition?

sky1
04-19-2007, 10:47 PM
I think rivalries play an important part it looks like Sioux Falls and Dakota are starting to get one going. Only two more days cant wait.

abie10
04-20-2007, 01:24 AM
1 game eliminations for the playoffs do suck.

albuquerque was 5-1 during the season against colorado. they lose one and they are out...

SignGuyDino
04-20-2007, 02:33 PM
It is too easy. It deflates itself. You'll have to give mz the cookie. I prefer grilled salmon.

Actually, I think there's something to be said for someone NEEDING to learn to make it work in bigger buildings. Besides, no beer, no league IMO.

It's even possible that, after copious amounts of hallucinogens and other questionable substances, you could argue that Joe Newman provides a laboratory to provide that opportunity to find out what works... obviously with a cost. It seems to make some wicked sort of sense that someone would be trying to make money off an experiment instead of spending copious amounts to find out what doesn't work.

I'm taking a wild guess that Pounder knows the answer, so given no other responses, forget the cookie, here's the salmon:

http://www.manxkippers.com/images/products/oak-smoked-salmon-big.jpg

And in case anyone didn't figure it out: The "genius" who said about me "YOUR an idiot" apparently thinks the CBA, ABA, USBL, IBL, and WBA can't be called "professional" because EACH league has at least one team that plays in a high school gym. Even the CBA's Indiana team. Now, the ABA not being called "professional" for other reasons? That's a whole other topic.

Folks like Dr. Buss can put his D-League team in Staples Center if he likes, he already paid the rent, and players probably would want to play there even if it's 98.5% empty. The D-League has been trying to "make it work" for 5 years now, and all the freebies in the world can't hide that some of these teams should be in a smaller venue until the attendance boosts up. They aren't going to lose more money (perhaps these local owners can actually break even, they don't pay the players, the NBA does), and I've been in many Altitude games where I and maybe 2 other people were cheering the whole game. A mostly empty venue kills atmosphere. High school games filled with the same people would have better atmosphere guaranteed.

My .02...

bectond
04-20-2007, 05:11 PM
The "genius" who said about me "YOUR an idiot" apparently thinks the CBA, ABA, USBL, IBL, and WBA can't be called "professional" because EACH league has at least one team that plays in a high school gym. Even the CBA's Indiana team.

Just because teams play in High school gyms does not validate your argument that the practice is the preferred way of doing business. Ask yourself this- How many minor league baseball or hockey teams play in high school venues? Playing in a high school greatly reduces the amount of revenue a team earn. One basic rule of business is the greater the risk the greater the reward.
Sure it is safe to play in an inexpensive venue but you are over looking how successful minor league team owners are able to turn a profit. Concessions and Sponsors play a larger role in profitability than you think.

Basketball teams generally are not operated by the sharpest knives in the draw. That is why so many of the leagues are unstable. Baseball minor league franchise owners are light years ahead of their basketball counterparts. They understand that sports is entertainment and normally field teams that play in venues that are conducive to filling a family activity void by providing a suitable alternative to what is available in their area. Their venues normally have plenty of activities that the whole family can enjoy. Minor league Basketball leaders generally lack vision, therefore the leagues have a hard time identifying the right kind of investor/operators that can take their leagues to the next level. Most of the people they bring in enjoy basketball but they really donít do a good job of researching why paying customers attend games. It seems as if being backwards is the rule rather than the exception in minor league hoops. Your view that (high school gyms as minor league sports venues will stabilize minor league hoops) is an extremely flawed hypothesis that quite honestly is simply baseless.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-20-2007, 06:25 PM
1 game eliminations for the playoffs do suck.

albuquerque was 5-1 during the season against colorado. they lose one and they are out...

I feel your pain....very much so

DakotaWizardsFan
04-20-2007, 07:50 PM
I feel your pain....very much so

I feel for both of you. The T-Birds probably would've won a series. The key word is probably, but I think it could have happened. The only reason I doubt is that the T-Birds lost by so much last game.

At least with the Wizards vs. Skyforce, the season series was 3-3 so it's anyone's game. Okay, so maybe to me that's bad.

Who should I go for tonight? Colorado or Idaho? Unlike Coach Joerger, I'd like to play the easier team.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-20-2007, 11:38 PM
Bye-bye Idaho.

sky1
04-20-2007, 11:50 PM
Once we beat the Dakota Wizzards Saturday night its going to be nice to play the championship game in Sioux Falls tonights game was very good. MZ the game is going to be aired on KSFY tommorow night in case you dont make it to Bismark.

USBasket_EricE
04-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Once we beat the Dakota Wizzards Saturday night its going to be nice to play the championship game in Sioux Falls

http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/d/9/3d9c3d8ea01ee46f1be60dffd9fbfa55.jpg

SignGuyDino
04-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Just because teams play in High school gyms does not validate your argument that the practice is the preferred way of doing business. Ask yourself this- How many minor league baseball or hockey teams play in high school venues? Playing in a high school greatly reduces the amount of revenue a team earn. One basic rule of business is the greater the risk the greater the reward.
Sure it is safe to play in an inexpensive venue but you are over looking how successful minor league team owners are able to turn a profit. Concessions and Sponsors play a larger role in profitability than you think.

Basketball teams generally are not operated by the sharpest knives in the draw. That is why so many of the leagues are unstable. Baseball minor league franchise owners are light years ahead of their basketball counterparts. They understand that sports is entertainment and normally field teams that play in venues that are conducive to filling a family activity void by providing a suitable alternative to what is available in their area. Their venues normally have plenty of activities that the whole family can enjoy. Minor league Basketball leaders generally lack vision, therefore the leagues have a hard time identifying the right kind of investor/operators that can take their leagues to the next level. Most of the people they bring in enjoy basketball but they really donít do a good job of researching why paying customers attend games. It seems as if being backwards is the rule rather than the exception in minor league hoops. Your view that (high school gyms as minor league sports venues will stabilize minor league hoops) is an extremely flawed hypothesis that quite honestly is simply baseless.

It is compeltely based, it's business. Let's look at Meat Loaf. He had a huge rise, a huge crash, and had to play smaller clubs with dozens in attendance and work his way up to larger venues, finally back to huge arenas.

The D-League started as a AAA level league playing in A level markets (Asheville, Roanoke, Fayetteville, etc.). Their very first game in Greenville, televised on espn, shows a ton of empty seats. The fans were quiet and we mocked this league for years.

You said it. "PAYING customers." The D-League gives out so many freebies it's absurd. They give out freebies because people would not pay to see minor league basketball in otherwise empty arenas. In many cases, they wouldn't go even if they got free tickets.

This league would not have made it 5 MONTHS without the NBA. They would have lasted about as long as the Global Basketball League, or the proposed World Hockey Association 2. This business model hasn't worked unless you call losing many millions to force a minor league that still can't draw flies "working."

(I'll never forget that arrogant Lavine guy going to our City Council and promising over 5,000 a game in Asheville. What a joke.)

While the D-League is finally figuring out that they should play in AAA level cities, they still play in venues with no hope of filling them. Even tonight's PLAYOFF game was barely half full. And I'd bet dollars to donuts there were freebies to be had. Just like in Asheville two years ago.

The most successful thing they did was getting CBA teams (teams that actually COULD draw fans, why not study them?). They didn't do it on their own.

What's more exciting to watch, a crowd watching the Rucker Park games, or a WNBA game in the large Staples Center? It's no contest. Even the crowds for Streetball were far more active in the large high schools than the arenas. At least they could justify the growth. The D-League has not proven after five years they could SELL (not fill with freebies but SELL) out every game in a high school.

Learn to walk before you can run. If they want to overpay to play in large arenas for ego, don't complain about the lack of atmosphere.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-21-2007, 01:10 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/d/9/3d9c3d8ea01ee46f1be60dffd9fbfa55.jpg

I second that.

mzracing76
04-21-2007, 01:21 PM
Rule of thumb:
1) Concessions/Souveniors = profit
2) Ticket Sales = pays the Players
3) Advertising/Sponsors=pay the bills

if you look at it like this, you can finally see where and how a professional team makes their money. I know the NBA pays the Players in the NBDL, so Ticket Sales would be a mute point in this league, so a good Minor League Basketball team would generate more income in this league. especially for Travel expenses.

Sioux Falls needs about 3000-3500 fans a game to turn a profit, and thats about what we average (3900 per game).

I do agree, the NBDL and CBA need to pick and choose their markets alot better. I dont agree with the NBDL going to LA or New York, but hey, as long as the NBA team owns them and they play in the Staples Center or Garden, they dont have any bills to pay, cause they are paid already. well, rent expense anyways.

I would rather see the CBA and NBDL go to cities with a populations of 75,000 to 200,000 or so. any bigger than that is not a good market for minor league basketball. The CBA is trying to do this, but now they are in competition with the NBDL. Places I would recommened based on prior experience are: Rapid City-SD, Lacross-WISC, Fargo-Moorhead-ND, Omaha-NEB, Oklahoma City, Wichita Falls-TX, Tri City-WASH, and Fort Wayne-IND, and Grand Rapids-MICH.

those were cities that averaged pretty decent attendance, that for some reason the owners were dumb and didnt realize this, or they just spent their money foolishly.

And, you want Arena's that sit between 3500-6500 fans. Any stadium bigger than that is pointless. cause you wont sell that place out. Sioux Falls averages 3900 fans a game, that is 60% Full. and our weekend games generate a average attendance of around 4500-5000 (75% Full). and that looks better to the players, and they play harder.

High School gyms dont generate any revenue. you lose the concession sales the most.

The Sioux Falls Ownership Group doesnt sell the Basketball part of it when they sell tickets. they sell "ENTERTAINMENT" to the fans. they bring the best halftime shows around. the best of the best were the Bud Light Dare Devils. they were fun. that and they bring in NBA Mascots 4-5 times a year. Especially the Utah Bear (whome use to be the Skyforce mascot),and Crunch from the Wolves. top two fan favorites.

thats how you sell tickets to minor league games. You sell Entertainment, not the basketball game itself. that will take care of itsself, if the team is any good.

Pounder
04-23-2007, 02:29 PM
thats how you sell tickets to minor league games. You sell Entertainment, not the basketball game itself. that will take care of itsself, if the team is any good.

I'm not sure that's working anymore...

...in the meantime, I'm listening to Colin Cowherd this morning on my way in. He takes to lamenting that the NBA has gone to 7-game series in the first round, especially after Golden State beat Dallas last night. The point: wouldn't you watch Game 2 if it actually meant something in, say, a best-of-3?

Single-game playoffs should increase the drama. Besides, if it takes until game 5 of a minor league series to come close to filling a building, are the owners really making money off of those series?

Mind you, I'm only 80% convinced of this argument. One bad shooting night kills a season? Eh?

However, sell the drama. The single game should certainly sport that. For that matter, my gut says that this is the future. Furthermore, upstairs, the NBA might someday find out they aren't making as much money with playoff gates as they could with televised intensity if they shortened things up a bit.

bectond
04-23-2007, 03:50 PM
It is compeltely based, it's business. Let's look at Meat Loaf. He had a huge rise, a huge crash, and had to play smaller clubs with dozens in attendance and work his way up to larger venues, finally back to huge arenas.

Learn to walk before you can run. If they want to overpay to play in large arenas for ego, don't complain about the lack of atmosphere.

Meatloaf? You may not understand how teams make profits. Your basing your argument on atmophere am i'm talking about profits as they relate to atmospere. I have never come across any research that supports your theory- That playing in High school gyms increases a teams odds at having increased longevity. In fact research suggest the opposite. Anchorage had a CBA team that consistently sold out the high school gym they played in, do you know how many years that team lasted? What your suggesting has been tried before and failed on numerous occasions in the past at the minor league level. Today, fans are more sophisticated than in the past. The average person that can afford season tickets will not be attracted to watching a game while seating on some wooden bleachers. These fans have higher expectations the what fans of the past had. They are accustom to four star amenities and a wooden bleacher just won't do. I don't believe the average team executive is looking to attract fans that would accept a sub-standard facility.

And1 only plays one game in a town each year. A sports franchise has to get fans to come back numberous times during the course of the year to make a profit. The same guy that may attend one AND1 game will not fork over 300 bucks to attend 20 games at that same high school, there simply are not enough things going on there to keep his attention. Plus, Beer is a extremely huge profitibility factor that is eliminated when teams play in H.S. gyms