PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Aztec article (SDSU's campus newspaper)

DawgsBooster2
04-11-2007, 02:29 PM
Here is a snippet from a recent article titled: Aztec Shops recoups losses
Revenue is down compared to last year's numbers

"...The state-mandated minimum wage increase, the ban on alcohol sales at on-campus college athletic events and the loss of the minor league baseball team, the Surf Dawgs, which would normally play at Tony Gwynn Stadium, are all factors that, Barber said, have caused Aztec Shops to seek other alternatives of revenue such as price increases on dozens of food products."

So, apparently, SDSU is feeling the 'pain' of the Dawgs being gone.

An electronic verision of the entire article can be found here: http://media.www.thedailyaztec.com/media/storage/paper741/news/2007/04/05/City/Aztec.Shops.Recoups.Losses-2824659.shtml

SDawgs
04-12-2007, 01:11 AM
It's funny because everyone knew that the losing the Surf Dawgs would cost the Aztecs some money (except maybe the Aztecs Bureaucracy). Who is leading this ship? :confused: Please report to Webers collection agency. Blah.

ca
04-15-2007, 09:44 PM
at a college park just dont work now does it ?

Pietsch Fan
04-16-2007, 10:01 AM
at a college park just dont work now does it ?

Um, no, it works fine at Chico, Fullerton, Long Beach and Reno. SDSU is a unique probelm unto itself. The fact that the Dawgs aren't back there have nothing to do with it being a college park. In fact, it's one of the nicest college parks around, all thing considered.

Mary

GBLCommish
04-16-2007, 10:03 PM
Pietschfan is correct, some of the best independent league teams partner with colleges for mutual benefits (Lincoln SaltDogs, Fargo-Morehead RedHawks, Worcester Tornadoes, are just a few that come to mind in other indy leagues). SDSU has a fine stadium both for players and fans but very disappointing business and relationship skills from our experience.

Kevin

RW22
04-17-2007, 12:43 AM
The article is flawed, at best. They claim losses due to the alcohol sales, the surf Dawgs and other factors...HMMMM---well, I am not sure where the Dawgs fit in to that. The losses from them would be from June 2 and beyond. So, any losses by SDSU would be directly from poor management, and loss of sales from product on site. This, however, does not absolve the GBL from making and breaking a pool deal with SDSU. To sit here now and gloat on an article printed by a student newspaper is beyond a joke.
Why did the league not answear questions fromits own season ticket holders about the vialility of the team? Why was the front office shut down, with no one to return calls? Why were deposits taken, knowing full well that you had no real intention of returning to SDSU--only because they wanted you, the GBL, to honour your lease agreements? All questions that were ignored due to "legal" issues, and that you were looking into your position with the school.
The GBL signed a deal, went to regenotiate the deal and felt "slighted" because the university would not talk about issues, including leases and food services. You made a bad deal, and although the student service section WILL lose money this summer--the current debt is NOT caused by the GBL or Surf Dawgs...its long term effect, however, is partically caused by bad deals mad, and committments not kept by the GBL. To blame anyone else is irresponsible, and that is something that the GBL is well known for---if you have any questions about the validity of that...please run a TRW on a few of their teams....way to play the name game commish...its what your league does best!! Admit that you made some bad deals and move on...dont pile on an article that "might" garner a few local fans favour!

DawgsBooster2
04-17-2007, 08:57 AM
I have now typed up and deleted no less than 9 really mean and snarky remarks to your post RW22, but I'm going to go the more civil route. :)

I'll only point out that the Commish didn't post the article, I did. Now, if you'd like to verbally spar with me, I'm all for it. Indeed, I’d love it. It would give me a small respite from my normal work tasks during the day.

Though if you opt to continue on, I’d ask that you use some form, any form, of spell checker so that your points can be understood fully and to limit any misunderstandings.