PDA

View Full Version : What you want?

jwalters
04-09-2007, 05:37 PM
This is the thread where we will be able to provide some specifics on what we want from the league. Hopefully, the PBL hierarchy will read this and take them to heart which is what happened in the CIFL. Okay this sounds crazy but why not play co-ed. To make things even you could play 4 on 4. You would also have to regulate how teams could play defense. Most likely man on man defense would be required with no one being allowed to guard someone from another gender. I'd also kind of like to see power plays.
One other thing about this thread, I would like to limit the number of team suggestions down to one per person. I hope we get a team in Owensboro, KY.
We are a town of roughly 56,000 in a county of 93,000. This area has a population slightly greater than that of Bismarck, ND and I think you'll agree that they have done alright. The team would play in the Owensboro Sportscenter which seats 5,000 for basketball. With all fees included it only cost about $1,100 per game to rent.

LASportsFan
04-09-2007, 05:44 PM
I'd like to see more 2-on-2 streetball. Look at the success of the And-1 tapes. Have teams play in Watts and Ruckers Park. Develop additional hotbeds around the country. Costs can be kept low because you would only have a team of perhaps 4 guys. Because the venues could remain very small and authentic, create a pay-per-view network.

SignGuyDino
04-10-2007, 04:24 AM
Sorry if I sound like an ignorant jackass, but will this suggestion thread matter? I mean, the AAFL had a thread on their site and a lot of us warned them not to try that asinine rule about how only college graduates should play in their league.

But IF anyone from the PBL has a suggestion box, let me stuff it with my ideas.

I am planning the 4 Man Basketball Association, I'm working on a deal to play either this summer or fall in Asheville, North Carolina. I deliberately run it as a recreational league to test it out. I may or may not get the venue I want due to logistic issues. I already made a committment to Baden Sports to use their game basketballs (the same balls used by Bobby Knight and Pat Summit for Texas Tech and Tennessee) if my league takes off. I'd strongly suggest contacting them.

Anyway, jwalters mentioned co-ed, but I would not make it co-ed. I would however suggest 4 on 4. Rob Ryder tried a concept for a national 4 on 4 basketball league, his problem was despite claiming to start grassroots he tried to go national and couldn't get the T.V. deal he wanted at the time.

http://www.teamarete.com/4balls.html

The game itself was from his own account very good. 4 on 4 opens up play, bringing back fast break basketball, higher scores, basically "showtime" basketball. He had a trial league in Pauley Pavilion with scores in the 120s and higher. It also frankly makes it less expensive to play.

The real decision is whether this proposed league will claim to be "just one step from the NBA" (sorry, the D-League and the CBA are the only leagues that can make that claim credibly), or an "entertainment league." The WBA says they are "the next best thing to the NBA." Truth is they are better described as a good prep summer league to get players ready for the NBA summer camps and the D-League. And there's nothing wrong with that at ALL. Just another basketball league with the mentality "we're better because we aren't some other league," or "more of the same, only better," isn't going to cut it in my opinion.

The IBL can't claim to be a top tier league and doesn't claim to, to their credit. One rule change you should consider is their "immediate inbounds" rule which greatly speeds up the game. (I'm considering this rule for the 4MBA if it happens this year, and I'm giving them credit for it upfront.)

I'd also suggest making doggone sure to do your research and make sure your Commissioner has absolute power to weed out certain "undesirables" in minor league sports before they can do damage to your teams and league. (You can always ask some of us who they are.) :)

The IBL also has a one time-out per quarter rule, use it or lose it. It improves game flow and speeds things up. I'd probably have 3 one-minute timeouts in the 4th.

I would keep teams in one region with 8 solid teams, solid meaning the rent is paid upfront, with lines of credit to make sure he can make it through a season. Get as much video of game highlights as you can to whet the appetites of potential expansion owners and fans.

I'd also not have that many games starting out. The primary objective should be starting and finishing the season without many problems. If a team or two fails after that, fine, but that will show credibility more than anything.

I'd also very strongly suggest running games in large high school or small college gyms. It's very tempting to get large arenas but anyone who watches the D-League or the WNBA on TV can't tell me that the crowd is often enthusiastic. I seen this happen in Asheville where I and maybe 3 other people would ever get out of their seats to cheer. It's psychology. Put the same number of people in a smaller venue and the attitude and atmosphere would be entirely different. Only when a franchise proves it can draw crowds a bigger venue should it seek one.

Run a "sub-league" for EACH city and make it a requirement for the franchise to have the rights to run it in the same venue. A smaller league of 6-8 teams per franchise will be where your replacement players will come from, generate extra income from admissions and concessions, give FREE PUBLICITY AND PRESS, and establish community pride. Under NO circumstances allow teams to have the same names as NBA teams. And for the "sub-league" make sure each team represents a community, to establish community pride. In Chicago, you're either with the Cubs or White Sox, but everyone in town is a Bears fan. That kind of thing. Calling a team "Chico's Bail Bonds" like intramural ball ain't cuttin' it.

Don't offer public shares of a team to the local community until after one season, to show you're credible. And surely to God don't suggest it to save a team in the middle of it's first season.

Set a final, drop-dead date for getting venues approved. If you can't do it, you can't do it, wait a year. Don't make last second deals that will not help your team or league. How many times do desperate sports owners do that around here anyway?

Set a "Pay to play, pay more to win" team bonus like the XFL. Just because Vince McMahon did other stupid things with the XFL doesn't mean all the ideas were bad.

IF it was a summer league and you did something like the ideas above, and it were successful, who knows? Maybe NBATV will do a TV deal with you for the summer down the road, when there is zero programming outside of an occassional WNBA game and Rucker Park highlights.

My website is www.4mba.net

My contact information is there.

I hope your league turns out to be credible because God knows we could use some in minor league basketball.

Dennis Justice
4MBA.net

SignGuyDino
04-14-2007, 02:07 PM
So I guess there's nothing to update newswise except for the website?

OneBetter
04-16-2007, 01:08 AM
So I guess there's nothing to update newswise except for the website?

Apparently Zeke thinks he's going to start a Kissimmee-based PBL team with online donations that so far total approximately only $5,000 to $7,000, not to mention that any donations would be illegal under pretexting laws.

Other than that, I guess there isn't anything to report.

The Magician
04-16-2007, 02:00 AM
Apparently Zeke thinks he's going to start a Kissimmee-based PBL team with online donations that so far total approximately only $5,000 to $7,000, not to mention that any donations would be illegal under pretexting laws.

any online donations ... and no pretexting will take place.

Facts for Consumers
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/credit/pretext.shtm

SignGuyDino
04-16-2007, 03:39 AM
I'll take a wild guess and say that was a joke. It's hard to tell sometimes, though.

utahstarsticketholder
04-17-2007, 09:49 PM
Zeke did not make any plea for money. I made the comment that I would like to send him a $100.00 towards his dream. There was no forced sale pitch no promises just graditude for our shared concern. My wife and I simply feel that it is worth the investment because we do not expect any return. It was an expression of compassion for a man who has a dream and is willing to work for it. There is nothing sinister about any of this and I am free to donate to whomever. Whatever laws come into play will be settled by Zeke. He has said as much. The idea of sports fans supporting a dream is admirable, the mechanism to make it happen is for someone else to reveal.
To be clear, Zeke has never ask for anything but advice from members on this forum. JM2C, jack and cheryl.
BTW He sent me a PM asking for us to hold for a moment until the legality of this idea is understood. jh