PDA

View Full Version : Why did the Samurai bears fold?

Silver Sox Fan
04-05-2007, 09:58 PM
I know this has probably been asked before but I am new to the league. I never got to see them play because the closest they got was Chico and from Reno, that is pretty much an overnight trip. I went once for Rickey but I digress...

Anyway, the concept seemed unique, the fanfare was great, it brought in some Japanese talent who played a different style of ball, and definitely created a following among many of the Japanese and those of Japanese descent.

So why did they fold? Was it because the players didn't want to be on the road all year? Was it financial? Was it because the Japanese game lacks power hitters?

Just curious as interviews from before last season made it sound like the intention was for league ownership to bring them back and put them at a "home" stadium.

Now with the "Season of the Samurai" and of course Matsuzaka, Igawa, and Iwamura now joining Ichiro and Matsui (along with a few others that impressed last year like Saito on the Dodgers) I wish I would have seen them while they were here. Having seen a Giants game it Tokyo, Japanese baseball is a unique experience and their players are realy good.

So if someone could help fill me in as the new guy, I would really appreciate it.

Keith

DawgsBooster2
04-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Having a 100% traveling team was expensive, hard on the players, hard on the staff and hard to find solid fans for.

The biggest down side for me would have been that they never got last ups. Yah, I know that seems like not that big of a deal, but when you never get that one-last-chance to come from behind... makes it hard in the end.

When they would come to San Diego the local Japanese community would come out in droves. I loved it. They would share their baseball customs and music and games. It was cool beans.

But again, you could see the guys just tired as anything, playing in 1/2 dry uniforms, and all that goes with traveling all. the. time.

I like the idea of an all (fill in the blank) team, but only if they can have a full time home.

Hey Commish, this thread brought an idea to me. I know there was a movie about an all Irish team ... they did the whole traveling too. And trying to find fields to play on (or do a quick build to have somewhere to play). I've not seen it yet, but I've heard it's quite good. (more info here: http://www.baseballireland.com/history.htm)

Maybe the GBL can work something out with them as a draw. They are looking to expand baseball in Ireland and the GBL is always looking for a new hook.

The Gaelic community would come out for sure. Beer, sports, bagpipes. What more in life does one need, eh? And this kind of hook would bring in those circus and carnival goes you guys are looking to bag.

I know I'd go.

Heck, everyone knows that everyone is at least 1/365th Irish anyway, right? LOL

Anyway, just an idea.

SDawgs
04-06-2007, 02:39 PM
THrow in some Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys and i would go.

DawgsBooster2
04-06-2007, 11:50 PM
THrow in some Flogging Molly or Dropkick Murphys and i would go.

Or Great Big Sea, Carbon Leaf, Young Dubliners.... OH! The Wicked Tinkers! I know of and enjoy Flogging Molly, but Iíll have got check out Dropkick Murphys. :)

Yah, I think that it would be fabulous fun for the fans and advantageous (on MANY levels) for both the GBL and the IBSF.

As a total side note: My son's travel ball team, The Chula Vista Green Sox (www.cvgreensox.com) has a pie in the sky dream of finding the funds to take two teams over to Ireland to help spread the good news that is baseball. We'd set up host families or stay in hostels while playing local teams, but when a local team is not available we'd play exhibition games (hence two teams going).

The idea of green beer, boiled potatoes and corned beef, bag pipes, dancing, heck there would be SO MANY ways to make it a fun home stand.

But again, they'd need a permanent home field to make the baseball side of it more doable.

Man, this idea probably will never come to fruition, but I'm so hot on the idea right now. :D