PDA

View Full Version : ABA Equivalent?

Shootmaster_44
04-03-2007, 04:43 AM
Just looking through the boards and it seems each sport section has one league that is riddled with problems. Basketball has the ABA, football has the NIFL and hockey has the WHA, what is minor league baseball's equivalent of these? On the other hand is minor league baseball head and shoulders above the others where there is no leagues that are mired in problems? Just curious if there's some circus in baseball I should at least keep an eye on.

jwalters
04-03-2007, 03:02 PM
That is a really interesting question. Basically baseball sells itself pretty well so most teams do okay with ticket sales and sponsorships. In the early days of the indy-leagues teams had very hard times making it because folks didn't know what was going on. I believe Saskatoon and Regina suffered from this lack of understanding in the Prairie League. The only baseball entity that keeps failing and just wont go away is Bob Lipp. He was a founder and executive with the Arizona-Mexico League. The league tanked but Lipp just kept on ticking. He currently runs the Border League or Border Series whichever he chooses to call it now. These are both semi-pro leagues but they are very suspect even for that level. As far as pro leagues I would watch out for the Continental Pro League. This league plays in the southern mid-west and southwest. There is a low entry fee and budgets and salaries are kind of suspect. Plus the league has teams in some suspect markets. Here is the site www.cblproball.com

spider
04-10-2007, 06:47 PM
Why do you call the CBL suspect? I don't understand. I've been to the website and it looks pretty good to me.

indyproball
04-10-2007, 11:37 PM
For 2007, four teams have come together to form the Centennial Baseball League. The league name was voted for by the teams.

Organized baseball returned to Bisbee, Arizona last year and the team playing a variety of teams in the Texas-Arizona area. 2 players signed pro from Bisbee going to the ULB and AA.

For 2007, the CBL has Bisbee, Tucson, San Luis and the AZ Diamondjaxx from Phoenix.

Last years Diamondjaxx had 6 or so former professional players.

The league is in the building process and has a 5 year plan to be at its best player level.

http://centennial-league.com