PDA

View Full Version : Sioux Falls Skyforce

mzracing76
04-01-2007, 10:51 PM
The Sioux Falls Skyforce set a NBDL Record on Saturday Night. We Scored a League High 145 points on the best Offensive Team in the league. All this after the 14ers actually held a 26-9 advantage 8 minutes into the first quarter.

The Skyforce Team Record is 158 pts for a single game set back in 1994-95 when our coach was the Great FLIP SAUNDERS. that night, we beat the Omaha Racers 158-88, which was and still is the CBA's Biggest Margin of victory in history, 70 pts. That Omaha Racers team included Tim Legler, who at the time was a Skyforce nemisis. Legler has a career scoring average of 26.8 ppg against the Skyforce.

jjbballfan
04-01-2007, 11:08 PM
not to mention another well attended game of 4771.. puting them just shy of 3,900 per game which is right around 1,000 more then 2nd... I believe that Sioux Falls and the D-league have bennefited greatly from the move.

USBasket_EricE
04-02-2007, 08:40 PM
They also clinched a play-off berth, which was no surprise. If I'm right, we are still awaiting Fort Worth to officially secure one. Should be an exciting post-season. Three CBA teams (4 if you count the 14ers) are in the mix. I hope they all make it to the second round and then, well, it's obvious who I'll be going for.

158-88? Wow. That was a lopsided game. The largest margin I can think of that the Wizards won by was 46 points, back in 2002-2003 when the Skyforce were in town. 142-96 was the final (Shawn Daniels career high 30 points), but I believe that was when the Force had Stacey King as their coach. Sometimes it's the coach that makes all the difference, whether a team plays well or doesn't. I'm a true believer in that after last season with Dave Bliss.

146 was the Wizards highest scoring game, back in 2004-2005 when Bobby Lazor scored 33 points in his debut, a 146-139 OT victory at Idaho. But kudos to the Skyforce for setting the D-League record. It's amazing, after 5 or 6 seasons and 145 was the highest any team ever got to? The CBA always has multiple games during the season with at least that much!

mzracing76
04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
yea, 158-88. that was vs the Omaha Racers, who the previous night had beaten us 122-121 on a last second basket, after the Skyforce had lead by 19 pts at one point. yea, we folded during that game, but Omaha, then coached by Mike Thibault, and they had Tim Legler on the roster (averaging 25.9ppg) rubbed it in our faces after the game, which made our guys mad. Flip Saunders did a great job getting the players emotionally physched up for that game, as all 10 players had 10 pts or more.

Players that were on that Skyforce game were: Henry James, Darrick Martin, Cedric Hunter, Carlton McKinney, Brian Howard, Adrian Caldwell.

that was Flip Saunders first and only season in SIoux Falls, as he was Hired by the Timberwolves after the season to become their General Manager, and the rest is history.

Our Next Coach: Mo McHone (1995-1999, 2006-present) led Sioux Falls to our first Title in 1996, using 5 players from the Flip Saunders regime.

MZ

mzracing76
04-07-2007, 10:26 PM
Skyforce Head Coach List:

1989-90..........Ron Ekker, 20-36
1990-93...........Kevin McKenna, 76-92
1993-94...........Roger Lyons, 24-32
1994-95...........Flip Saunders, 34-22 (2-3 in post season)
1995-99...........Mo McHone, 142-82 (28-20 in post season)
1999-00..........Jim Brovelli, 30-26
2000-01..........Jim Sleeper, 7-13 (shortened Season)
2001-02..........Paul Woolpert, 33-23
2002-03..........Stacey King
2003-04..........??
2004-06..........Dave Jeoger, 61-35
2006-present...Mo McHone, 28-18

USBasket_EricE
04-07-2007, 11:49 PM
Trevor Gleeson was their coach in 2003-2004 I believe. I think he took Stacey King's place at midseason or something like that.

mzracing76
04-08-2007, 08:51 PM
yeap, you are right, he is the one I always forget about, thanks for the help.

sky1
04-09-2007, 10:55 PM
It is cool to watch some of the NBA players play live, the Detroit Pistons have been very good about supplying players to the Sioux Falls Skyforce, the Minnesota Timberwolves on the other hand was horrible this year they never sent one player. If the Minnesota Timberwolves and the Detroit Pistons play I am rooting for the Pistons.

mzracing76
04-10-2007, 01:17 AM
believe it or not, the Main Reason we have a great relationship with the Pistons is our connection with the team. Flip Saunders coached the Skyforce, and knows the organization well, and Mo McHone spent time as an Assistant Coach for the Pistons from 1999-01. and McHone and Flip stay in constant contact on Player Personel.

That is basically how we became a Pistons Farm Club Pretty Much because of our Coach and Flip Saunders.

maybe one day The NBA will use the Affliation System alot more. I always wanted to see the NBA teams send "US" players fresh off the Injury Reserve List for atleast 1-2, maybe 3 games to get their game back. just like baseball. But I dont know that will happen cause of the Current CBA (Collective Bargaining Agreement).

DakotaWizardsFan
04-10-2007, 10:07 PM
At least the Force have gotten players. The Wizards only got Martynas Andruiskevicius from the Bulls and he got recalled not long after he came because of the incident with Awvee Storey.

sky1
04-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Thats to bad if we didn't have Detroit we would have got 0 players I hope the NBA continues to push the teams to send players to all cities in the Developmental League. It makes the games exciting with all the slam dunks I watched Amir Johnson the other night slam the ball one handed from about the free throw line on a fast break. I know he will be playing a lot in the NBA next year he is really good. The same goes to Jared Reiner he was fun watching he now plays for the Milwaukee Bucks.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-11-2007, 04:16 PM
Amir Johnson is confusing me. So he's the so-called best player in the D-League, but when the Force played the Wizards last Saturday, Amir did not impress me one bit. Normally, what is Amir's game like?

sky1
04-11-2007, 07:32 PM
Usually he does very good has lots of blocks, rebounds, and slam dunks he must of had an off night, I heard Detroit asked if he wanted to come back where he would have played minimal time for the Pistons or stay in Sioux Falls he said he would rather finish of the season with the Skyforce. Thats pretty cool. I heard the game was pretty good how was attendance?

DakotaWizardsFan
04-11-2007, 09:13 PM
Well, Amir had a couple of good stats like 8 boards and 3 blocks, but the only time I really noticed him was when he got fouls since he got 6 of them.

As a Wizards fan, I was hoping the Pistons would recall him, but yeah, that is pretty cool. At least with the Force, he gets playing time, unlike with the Pistons.

The attendance was a little over 3,000 people.

sky1
04-12-2007, 12:47 PM
It looks like Amir Johnson is going back to Detroit, it seems the coach really wanted him back to see him play. I am not sure if he is going to play for the Skyforce this weekend but he said he will probably play the playoff games if it works out scheduling wise.

mzracing76
04-14-2007, 12:38 PM
Looks Like the Playoff Lineup is set.
1-Dakota
2-Sioux Falls
3-Fort Worth

who is the hottest team of that group? and will a day off help Dakota? or will they get complacent? I dont like this format, i would rather have a Best of Five Series in the first round, and Second Round, and have a Best of Seven for the Finals. this one game playoff sucks. it dont creat rivalries.

REMEMBER: Classic Rivalries

1995-96: Sioux Falls Skyforce vs Florida Beachdogs (Rapid City Thrillers) - This Series was the CBA's Conference Finals, and this Best of Five Series went the max amount of games. Each Team splitting the first two games. There was 3 games decided by 1 point. at the time, Eric Musselman was still the Beachdogs-Thrillers Head Coach, while Mo McHone was the Sioux Falls Coach.

1997-98: Sioux Falls Skyforce vs Quad City Thunder - This was the CBA's Finals between the best teams in the league. The 38-18 Thunder won the first two games in Moline, while Sioux Falls won 2 of 3 in Sioux Falls. Sioux Falls won Game Six in Moline, and we had a 2 point loss to Quad City in game Seven. This was a very good series between Mo Mchones Skyforce and Dan Pannaggio's Thunder. Classic 7 game series.

1989-90 & 1991-92: Each of these two CBA Finals were pivoted by the Lacrosse Catbirds (Flip Saunders) vs Rapid City Thrillers (Eric Mussleman). At the time, Flip Saunders was in his first season as the Catbirds Head Coach. A year after he was coach in Rapid City (1988-89) working under none other Mussleman. the first series (1990) went 7 games, and the second series went 5 games. None to say, these were the two hottest coaches from 1989-1995 before Saunders left for the NBA's Wolves. ***NOTES: also, these teams were always in the top five in average attendance in the neighborhood of 4000-5000.

1994-95: Sioux Falls' first trip to the playoffs (not including the Bismark Series the year before) was vs the Omaha Racers. Flip Saunders in his first and only season in Sioux Falls vs Mike Thibault (former Bulls Scout) for Omaha. Omaha won this series in 5 games (Best of five). Omaha and Siox Falls were always a great rivalry on the I-29 interstate, but this only turned it up a ton.

1996-97: Sioux Falls vs Omaha, Part Two - Sioux Falls supporting the CBA's 3rd best record ever (47-9) fell to the Omaha Racers (22-34) in Five games. Sioux Falls was up 2-1 in the series when a fight between Tony Harris (Sioux Falls) and Quin Harwood (Omaha) came about in Game 4 in which Omaha won. The CBA alledged that Harris thru a punch at Harwood, but he didnt. it was more of a push. But whatever, Thibault complained and got his way leading to Harris (29.3 ppg) being Suspended for one game. Leaving Sioux Falls with only one guard having lost Stevin Smith to the NBA, and Corey Beck to the DL. Our lone Guard was Kenny Harris who only played in 4 games since replacing Smith. Well, you all can see the handwriting on the all here. Omaha in Five. this sparked the heated rivalry between SIoux Falls Fans vs Mike Thibault, with Tim Legler a bonus for his now famous quote "Sioux Falls Fans take this Minor League Basketball too Serious"

Other Great Rivalries:

1991-1995: Yakima Sunkings vs Tri City Chinook - Both Teams drew well for fans, and Tri City had a good team lead by coach Calvin Duncan. Yakima wasnt a good team till Mo McHone turned them around in 1994-95.

1991-1993: Tulsa Fast Breakers/Zone vs Oklahoma City Cavalry - The Cavalry averaged 4500 fans per game since its inception (1990) and Tulsa then coached by Henry Bibby won the CBA Title in 1989. The Cavalry didnt start winning until Russ Bergman came around in 1994. But the fans supported this series. Oklahoma City won their lone title in 1996-97 against Eric Musselmans Beachdogs in 6 games. Leaving Mussleman with 0/3 in his trips to the CBA Finals, while his dad (Bill Musselman) was 4-0 in his four trips with the Tampa Bay/Rapid City Thrillers.

1989-2005: Sioux Falls Skyforce vs Topeka Sizzlers/Yakima Sunkings - These two teams has always had a unique relationship in the league. From 1989-1994, they were always bad teams. Sioux Falls at one time won 11 games in a row vs this franchise (1990-92). The Rivalry reached its peak in 1994-95 when Both teams battled for the Midwest Division. Sunkings coached by McHone, and Sioux Falls coached by Flip Saunders. Sioux Falls got off to a 22-9 start, while Yakima had the better finish. But also, we lost our point guard (Darrick Martin) which lead to alot of our troubles.

#1 Rivalry in Minor League History??

Rapid City Thrillers vs Sioux Falls Skyforce - Each game no matter where they played were to packed houses. Rapid would have 7500 fans, and Sioux Falls would have 6400 fans. it helped that Rapid had a guy named Eric Musselman, and he was huge for the Sioux Falls fans, especially behind the bench. I remember one game in SF, that Eric Mussleman got into it with the fans that he threw water onto the fans. The Rivalry heated up with the addition of Flip Saunders in Sioux Falls in 1994-95 which ironcally was Rapid's last season with the franchise, as the Thrillers moved to West Palm Beach, Florida to become the Florida Beachdogs. During the 1995-96 season, Eric Mussleman brought in a big man named Manute Bol, and Sioux Falls had Darryl Dawkins. which was big for the league. ESPN covered all their games between each other. I only wish this was still the Rapid City Thrillers. it would have been bigger. but all said and done, this rivalry reached its peak in the Conference (noted above) of this season. Best of Alltime.

CBA's TOP THREE RECORDS:
Albany Patroons (1990-91), coached by George Karl went 50-6

Albany Patroons (1987-88), coached by Bill Mussleman went 48-6

Sioux Falls Skyforce (1996-97), coached by Mo McHone went 47-9

Rockford Lightning (1992-93) coached by Mauro Pannaggio went 44-12
Rapid City Thrillers (1992-93) coached by Eric Musslman went 44-12

mzracing76
04-14-2007, 12:48 PM
sky1,

I would have to bet, that having clinched a playoff spot, Flip Saunders wants to rest his veterans these final 5 games. He is probally thinking of using his young players such as Amir Johnson to see what he has for next season. I hope this is not the case, but this is probally what Flip is thinking. hopefully Amir and McHone change his mind.

and the fact that Amir is a Free Agent after the season, Detroit wil have to either resign him or lose him to Free Agency. So in order to find out if he fits into their future plans, they will play him now in mop up duty and save the vet's.

sky1
04-14-2007, 10:03 PM
I agree this 1 game elimination for the playoffs really sucks, thanks for posting those stats it brings back memories. I hope the dleague will change the playoffs to best of five or I think they could loose teams, especially the CBA teams that just joined that are used to the series as well as the fans. I cant see how fans can get into the playoffs with just single elimination it doesn't make any sense. If the dleague wants there attendance to grow they better change the playoff structure because it sucks.

sky1
04-17-2007, 09:43 PM
The Sioux Falls Sky Force is on their way to a championship next on the list Dakota Wizards. Lookout North Dakota I think I will have to make the game. Is the game in Bismarck?

USBasket_EricE
04-17-2007, 09:48 PM
OF course it's in Bismarck, the Bismarck Civic Center to be exact. I heard the Skyforce were planning a bus trip. Hope to see you all there!

Joerger got his wish. He was hoping the Skyforce would advance so the Wizards can play their toughest competition. I've got mixed feeling about it, but it ought to be one hell of a game. I've got my tickets; I wouldn't miss it for anything!

DakotaWizardsFan
04-17-2007, 09:56 PM
When I heard Joerger say that, I officially decided that he's crazy.

I don't have tickets yet. My parents were going to buy the seats I've had recently, but they are going to be general admission now, meaning I'll have to come super early to the game, maybe like 5:20 even. Ouch.

Congrats Skyforce! (Even though I would have preferred playing the Flyers.)

sky1
04-17-2007, 10:49 PM
It should be a great game the tv crew was here tonight looks like all the playoff games will be aired on NBA tv.

mzracing76
04-18-2007, 01:27 AM
sky1? do you have NBA TV? what channels are they, and how much does it cost to purchase tthem channels? i may just purchase it

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-18-2007, 05:19 PM
This sucks....they air the FTW/SFS game but not the tbirds one?? Thats bs

DakotaWizardsFan
04-18-2007, 05:42 PM
Every game is going to be on NBA TV.

And they're airing our game on a local channel. I forgot which. I'm going to be at the game so I don't really need to know, but I'd like to tape it. If we lose, I'll probably be so angry that I'll throw the tape away.

I really feel like it's the Wizards year, but it's going to be hard to pass the Force.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Theryy are airing the game tomarrow but i want it live! Anyways, the game last night...that was a sick pass by Blalock

DakotaWizardsFan
04-18-2007, 06:46 PM
Theryy are airing the game tomarrow but i want it live! Anyways, the game last night...that was a sick pass by Blalock

I thought the D-League site said that all games would be aired live.

Too bad that I don't have NBA TV. I wouldn't really care about the NBA stuff; I'd just watch it for the D-League.

Don't find out what happened tonight and then watch it tomorrow. Okay, if you're as good of a fan as you say you are, then that would drive you absolutely insane.

sky1
04-18-2007, 08:49 PM
I am not sure how much NBA tv is but I could get it on the dish the only problem is they show all the NBA games too and I dont really care to watch those. It would be nice if you could just purchase the dleague games. I heard Amir Johnson wants to play the rest of the playoff games and it sounds like Detroit would send him but the dleague office is having some sort of problem with that. I dont get it I think that is bs. Blalock can still play but Johnson cant why? why? why?

DakotaWizardsFan
04-18-2007, 09:09 PM
So he's not coming back? Unless the D-League office solves the problem..

Good news for me, but that must suck being a Force fan.

Well, Blalock can just hit another game-winner versus us. The Force didn't need Amir last game vs. the Wiz. We completely shut him down.

sky1
04-18-2007, 09:32 PM
Yea I dont get it from what I heard Amir wants to play the Pistons will send him back but for some reason the dleague office is having some sort of issue. Does not make sense. MZ you can see the highlights of the game from Tuesday night on the internet go to the dleague site then click on nbatv. Go about half way down the page and click watch now and then on that page you can select highlights of the Siouxfalls Skyforce game.

mzracing76
04-19-2007, 01:24 AM
ok, thanks

Sky1, i think i owe you a pop, how did you know we would give up exactly 105 pts?

Bri? you said the wizards should have won the game in Bismark. LOL, we are even, cause we should have won the game in SF the game before, this is turning into quite a rivalry.

keep up the good work.

USBasket_EricE
04-19-2007, 04:33 PM
It's ironic that the Wizards beat the Skyforce twice and lost once in the Sioux Falls Arena and that the Skyforce beat the Wizards twice and lost once in the Civic Center. Maybe both teams enjoy winning in front of the opponent's fans. Since a bus trip is planned, it might even itself up (not entirely) with fans of both teams and the game might go into 4OT! Highly doubtful since it's never happened before. I'm not going to declare one team the winner over the other yet because that's usually bad luck, but you all know who I'm hoping for!

The winners over the Wizards in the Civic Center this season:
Los Angeles D-Fenders
Sioux Falls Skyforce (twice)
Fort Worth Flyers
Tulsa 66ers
Idaho Stampede

It worries me a little, but I won't dwell on the past.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-19-2007, 04:44 PM
Well, only two of those teams are potential opponents. But no matter what happens in the West tomorrow, the Wizards would still need to take care of business.

Bring it on Skyforce! We're gonna get you back for 2 years ago and for our last game against you! We will rock you!

DakotaWizardsFan
04-19-2007, 04:46 PM
Bri? you said the wizards should have won the game in Bismark. LOL, we are even, cause we should have won the game in SF the game before, this is turning into quite a rivalry.

You are so right. Renaldo won it for us at your place and Will won it for you at our place. Who gets to hit the game-winner this time?

sky1
04-19-2007, 09:28 PM
I think there should be an internal investigation at the dleague office, as far as the coaches and some dleague officers thought Amir Johnson would be playing Saturday night and the rest of the playoffs. I think the dleague is way out of bounds on this one. It seems a little strange that all of a suden Amir can't play. Whats going on here?

USBasket_EricE
04-19-2007, 09:36 PM
Who's this Robert Hite? He hasn't been with the Skyforce for very long as I recall, but I just read somewhere that he might be the one to watch on Saturday. Amir Johnson just had a 20 point, 12 rebound game with the Pistons so I'm still hoping the Pistons decide to keep him. I think what happened at the last game (against Sioux Falls) is that the Wizards spent too much time watching Johnson and forgot about Hite and Will Blalock. If Johnson is out of the picture, they can focus more on these other guys.

Oh yeah, I forgot about Stephan Graham....this game is going to be a challenge! Just curious, which players from the Wizards do the Skyforce fans fear the most? I want to know!

DakotaWizardsFan
04-19-2007, 10:15 PM
Just curious, which players from the Wizards do the Skyforce fans fear the most? I want to know!

Probably the former Skyforce:
Renaldo Major
Corey Williams
Jerome Beasley (who has yet to impress me since he returned)
And am I missing any? We had Alfred Neale earlier this year, but I'm not sure if there's anymore.

We just love stealing your players I guess.

mzracing76
04-20-2007, 09:03 AM
its funny, that a couple of league sources told both the Pistons and Skyforce that Amir Johnson could come back for the playoffs, then later "found" a so called rule in the Rulebook saying he is not eligible. If the teams (Skyforce and Pistons) knew this ahead of time, Amir probally would not have called him up, the Pistons wanted to see how well he played in a pressure game. sound kind of suspicious that they are covering something up as if Coach Jeorger complained. but i dont care.

Sioux Falls is the one team that can beat the Wizards in this league. Skyforce have the most talent between the two teams right now. The only thing that kept the Skyforce from winning the division was consistant roster changes thru out the year compared to the Wizards who I felt had a more stable roster with very few Call Ups, Players leaving, etc. Sioux Falls lost 2-3 players to over seas, and 3-4 callups.

Over the years, i have studied the Minor League basketball (especialy the CBA) that the teams that have had the most players to have played in atleast 70% of their games (40/56, or 35/50) are the best teams in the league, and the most consistant. The season that Sioux Falls won the CBA title (1996) for example, we had 7 players that were on our roster for atleast 40 games of a 56 game schedule. And, during the 90s, 7 of the 10 league champs had that same formula to success.

MZ

USBasket_EricE
04-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Joerger actually wanted Amir to be back in the line-up. He said that he and his players were up for the challenge to try and prove that they can win when Amir is part of the Skyforce roster.

Pounder
04-20-2007, 11:50 AM
Either the same thing happened to Randy Livingston...

...or it's part of the hype to sell tickets for Friday's game here.

Over the weekend, the media discussed the probability that Livingston could come back... only to find out that the contract with the Sonics runs through July 1. Did the same thing happen to Amir?

bectond
04-20-2007, 12:42 PM
Either the same thing happened to Randy Livingston...

...or it's part of the hype to sell tickets for Friday's game here.

Over the weekend, the media discussed the probability that Livingston could come back... only to find out that the contract with the Sonics runs through July 1. Did the same thing happen to Amir?

Not really, Johnson like Wafer are in their first two years they can be send down three times per year, Livingston can't be send back down he is a vet. Those guys can't play because they were not on the playoff roster as of last Sunday, which was the deadline to submit the final D-League playoff rosters.

DakotaWizardsFan
04-20-2007, 04:30 PM
More on what bectond said:

Skyforce standout won't play against Wizards

By LOU BABIARZ
Tribune Sports Editor
The Sioux Falls Skyforce will present the Dakota Wizards with plenty of challenges in Saturday's D-League semifinal game, but how to stop Amir Johnson won't be one of them.

Johnson, whom Wizards coach Dave Joerger has called the best player in the D-League this season, will not be eligible for the postseason - which came as a surprise to the Skyforce.

Johnson had been called up by the Detroit Pistons last week, but Sioux Falls had been planning on using him in Saturday's game. Instead, the league ruled that only players who were on a D-League roster as of 2 p.m. on April 15 were eligible for the postseason.

Last season, players were reassigned to D-League clubs for the playoffs, and Sioux Falls coach Mo McHone said several teams assumed the same would be allowed this year and were unaware of the deadline.

"We're very disappointed Amir is not going to play, and the main reason we're disappointed is that the kid really wanted to play so bad," McHone said. "He was looking forward to the competition and getting to play in a high-level playoff atmosphere. ... I know the Pistons were disappointed too."

Other high-profile players - including Colorado's Von Wafer and Idaho's Randy Livingston - will be affected by the same rule. Wafer, who was expecting to do be playing for the Denver Nuggets and the 14ers, reportedly didn't get the word that he was ineligible for the D-League playoffs until shortly before game time Wednesday night.

Despite several teams obviously being unclear on the rules, the D-League downplayed the issue.

"No confusion on the league's part," D-League vice president of communications Kent Patridge said in one of a series of e-mails Wednesday night. "Can't be a dispute if it's in the operations manual. Everybody has the same rules."

The 19-year-old Johnson, a 6-9 forward, has been a huge impact player for the Skyforce. He averaged 18.9 points, 9.6 rebounds and 3.1 blocks in 22 games with Sioux Falls. More important, with Johnson in the lineup, Sioux Falls went 17-5. Without him, the Skyforce was 13-15.

But Joerger believes the Skyforce, who split six games with the Wizards this year, will have no problem picking up the pieces in Johnson's absence.

"Every player thinks he should be playing more. Everybody thinks they should be getting more recognition. When Von Wafer doesn't come back, and all of a sudden every guy picks it up and (Colorado) blows (Albuquerque) away," Joerger said. "Sioux Falls will play great on Saturday. They will get performances from the other guys and they will play great."