PDA

View Full Version : Great Lakes League

magi1
04-24-2004, 12:54 PM
:?: An article in the Hannibal MO paper recently mentioned the startup of the independent Great Lakes League in four Midwest communities: Hannibal, Farmington and Sikeston MO and Fulton KY. Only 36 games would be played beginning in mid-June and concluding in mid-August of this year. Is this legit/realistic given the demise of the SEL and the pushback of the SWL? Sikeston and Fulton were both slated as Kitty League teams. Is this league absorbing the only viable cities from that attempted startup?

Trying to figure if I need to plan a trip to Eastern MO!

Ken, Steelheads fan
04-24-2004, 08:36 PM
I remember almost four years ago that Joliet and Gary (currently of the Northern League) were originally supposed to be part of a four team independent league called the Great Lakes league. One of the league founders was the owner of the Lansing Lugnuts, but the deal fell through because he could not own an affiliated club and run an independent league at the same time.

I believe he sold the rights to the Great Lakes league to another gentleman. I wonder if this is the same guy. If it is, I wonder why it is still called the Great Lakes league. Missouri does not border any of the Great Lakes.

patmc16
05-03-2004, 09:01 PM
Ken stole my thunder at the end there. Why would a league entirely based in KY & MO be the Great Lakes League? MI, OH, IN, IL, WI....sure, but KY & MO? Doesn't make any sense, which makes me question it right from the get go. Even if there was to be another indy league coming up, a start-up in 6 weeks could not be logistically possible.

Even if the Lugnuts owners could be involved, it would be a lot on their plate. Dickson & Myers are also the owners of the Charleston (WV) AlleyCats and are in the middle of building a new stadium there. I've been to both Olds Park in Lansing and Powell Park in Charleston... I can understand why they directed their efforts toward the new stadium (but that's another story). If they were able to get involved with anything indy, it would make more sense to get involved with one of the Northern League teams rumoured to be in SE Michigan in 2005.