PDA

View Full Version : PBL teams?

Minor League Man
03-22-2007, 10:35 AM
Besides Rochester, who else do you think is joining?

I'd put a Vegas bet that Maryland would be a part of that league too.

Other possibilities:

Quebec
Montreal
Halifax
Buffalo (after they finish the playoffs)
Vermont (again, after they finish)
Wilmington (again, after they finish)
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Palm Beach
Kissimmee

We'll find out more this afternoon...

Minor League Man
03-22-2007, 11:13 AM
You know, for some reason, I thought this would pique more discussion.

Guess I was wrong...

mikeyratt
03-22-2007, 11:17 AM
uhhh What's the PBL ? hows that for discussion :)

Minor League Man
03-22-2007, 11:23 AM
The PBL is the Premiere Basketball League, that which the Rochester Razorsharks have left the ABA to join.

I was just wondering which other ABA teams would join this league.

tbayz1
03-22-2007, 01:51 PM
Besides Rochester, who else do you think is joining?

I'd put a Vegas bet that Maryland would be a part of that league too.

Other possibilities:

Quebec
Montreal
Halifax
Buffalo (after they finish the playoffs)
Vermont (again, after they finish)
Wilmington (again, after they finish)
Atlanta
Jacksonville
Orlando
Palm Beach
Kissimmee

We'll find out more this afternoon...

id add possibly

Detroit
Cape Cod
**And this league, i think could be similar to the idea i had and 2 others on the ABA forum about the "ecba", an anti-ABA league mainly on the east coast full of the strong teams

Strong Island would be nice but im prty sure their owner is a fan of Joe

zeke41
03-22-2007, 02:16 PM
What about Jacksonville and West Palm Beach? I'm pretty sure Orlando will stay in the ABA. The Florida teams seem to be n their own world away from all the other divisions!

LASportsFan
03-22-2007, 02:25 PM
This will obviously be a regional league to keep costs down. It sounds like most of you think there will be teams in it throughout the eastern seaboard. I suggest the play 2/3 of their games against their local division rivals, and then travel to the other more distant members for the other 1/3 of their games. If you "regionalize" your play completely like the ABA does and then only play the other members in the playoffs, it makes for a lame fan experience. I understand wanting to keep costs down, but no one wants to see your team play the same 3 or 4 other teams over a 32 game season.

tbayz1
03-22-2007, 04:44 PM
hmm in a press release from Rochester regarding this whole situation, they started talking a lil bit about the new league in the fall, and they included that the league will be in Canada too

so this means Montreal? Quebec? Halifax?

and also in the release they chose not to say which other teams will be in it yet, theyre gona wait til the ABA season is over etc...

so look out cos it wont be to long before more teams are annouced that will be playing in the "New League" the PBL!!

heavesrock
03-22-2007, 06:35 PM
I hope it's similar to what Burmeister just posted, or the ECBA idea. The only drawback that could come to from this league is if no one jumps beside Rochester, and the league turns out with the final standings something like this.

Rochester 30-0
Team 2 18-12

Don't think thats gonna happen though.

tbayz1
03-22-2007, 06:40 PM
I hope it's similar to what Burmeister just posted, or the ECBA idea. The only drawback that could come to from this league is if no one jumps beside Rochester, and the league turns out with the final standings something like this.

Rochester 30-0
Team 2 18-12

Don't think thats gonna happen though.

me neither, i really think its gona be very similar to out "ecba" idea

cant wait to find out more teams joinin the Sharks

Minor League Man
03-22-2007, 07:57 PM
They say that league will be in Canada...
So this means Quebec will likely join.
And if Quebec joins, so will Montreal (they're owned by the same guy)

I'd say Maryland is almost assuredly going to join, though

skippy
03-22-2007, 10:49 PM
My guesses: {just guesses}

Rochester
Buffalo
Quebec
Montreal
Albany
Cape Cod
Vermont
Maryland {possible other teams south}

Minor League Man
03-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Well, on a recent R-News cable report, there will be at least 16 teams in the league.

That leaves the possibilities O-P-E-N!

bdaly
03-23-2007, 08:05 AM
Well, on a recent R-News cable report, there will be at least 16 teams in the league.

That leaves the possibilities O-P-E-N!
I think it's fairly safe to say a lot of the more solid owners saw eye-to-eye with Doyle. So, I bet it could be a pretty large group of ABA owners that have banded together. It seems like most of the solid owners are in the northeast, although there's a core down south. You could always have two divisions, and then have occasional games in the other division.

It's sad, if there were any amount of standards, the ABA could have worked. There's a decent core of 25 or so teams. But it's the bottom half that killed the league and dragged everyone down with them. If they could have just screened those teams out, it would have been okay. But, it should make the task pretty clear for Doyle and company. And, assuming the group is who I think it is, I think they're up to the challenge.

zeke41
03-23-2007, 08:23 AM
I'm going to work on putting a team in Kissimmee! Hopefully I can get that done! I think it should happen.

Minor League Man
03-23-2007, 10:44 AM
Make sure it's PBL though! (I saw on a myspace that there could be one in the ABA)

utahstarsticketholder
03-23-2007, 05:18 PM
What aboout The Utah Dream?.....I have tickets...er I am awaiting the delivery of my season tickets anyday now! So what about each team traveling to Utah to play the Dream! 36 home games! ...................just kidding.
The thought of a responsible league, board members, business plan, owners and fans that care about minor league basketball would be very refreshing indeed.
If only some kind of National Plan came into being that would allow for say a CBA , IBL, NBDL, and the PBL in the east with each champion meeting to determine a champion of all North American Minor League Basketball leagues. That could be sold to a network and the benifactors would be the players who might obtain the dream of a NBA contract.
That is if those leagues are legitimate, adopt and preform to ethical standards. JM2C, jack.

"Joe, Joe who?"

Minor League Man
03-23-2007, 05:23 PM
What aboout The Utah Dream?.....I have tickets...er I am awaiting the delivery of my season tickets anyday now! So what about each team traveling to Utah to play the Dream! 36 home games! ...................just kidding.
The thought of a responsible league, board members, business plan, owners and fans that care about minor league basketball would be very refreshing indeed.
If only some kind of National Plan came into being that would allow for say a CBA , IBL, NBDL, and the PBL in the east with each champion meeting to determine a champion of all North American Minor League Basketball leagues. That could be sold to a network and the benifactors would be the players who might obtain the dream of a NBA contract.
That is if those leagues are legitimate, adopt and preform to ethical standards. JM2C, jack.

"Joe, Joe who?"
I suppose it wouldn't help if I told you for the fiftieth time:

THE UTAH DREAM IS DEAD IN THE WATER!

But I do like your idea for a North American Minor League Basketball championship.

utahstarsticketholder
03-23-2007, 05:37 PM
Yes , sorry I am an idiot for thinking Ole Joe was trustworthy. Someday who knows if minor league basketball gets it's act togeather a minor league team might relocate here in Utah. I have my doubts about the viablity of the nbdl team in provo/orem. The Jazz are kings and the leftovers are shared by U of U and BYU college D-1 teams. This would be a very hard market to crack.
I am hopeful that the PBL become what the ABA should have been, a real league with responsible ownership.
jack

Minor League Man
03-23-2007, 10:50 PM
I heard from twa23 that the Silverbacks were joining the PBL...

Can anybody confirm this?

tbayz1
03-23-2007, 11:05 PM
I heard from twa23 that the Silverbacks were joining the PBL...

Can anybody confirm this?

Havent heard anything yet from my connections with the 'Backs but that wouldnt be a big surprise, our owner is also fed up with the ABA and is prob on Rochester/Maryland's side

Minor League Man
03-24-2007, 01:13 PM
This reminds me of a rumor I heard back in January that Buffalo, Jacksonville, Maryland, Quebec, Rochester, and Strong Island would form a new league next year.

I think, since Rochester already has, and Stong Island probably won't, that the other four could join too?

STAY TUNED...

tbayz1
03-24-2007, 01:37 PM
yeah i remember that rumor too, hmm

well i can see everyone,joining the PBL w/o hesitation, cept for maybe SI, i think theyre owner is a Newman Co. fan

YES STAY TUNED........

OR ELSE!

Minor League Man
03-24-2007, 03:47 PM
Remember that if Quebec goes, so does Montreal (The same guy owns both teams).

tbayz1
03-24-2007, 04:25 PM
according to this article from Friday from Rochester

the new teams in the PBL will have to post a $500,000 bond to prove they have money for players,venue,marketing etc...

here is the article:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070323/SPORTS/703230347/-1/archive1

mammal
03-27-2007, 03:15 PM
If the PBL follows the IBL's lead and uses the cluster scheduling I think the league will be ok. Travel costs is what kills minor leagues. How much longer until the NBA has a minor league system similar to Major League Baseball?

tbayz1
03-27-2007, 03:54 PM
If the PBL follows the IBL's lead and uses the cluster scheduling I think the league will be ok. Travel costs is what kills minor leagues. How much longer until the NBA has a minor league system similar to Major League Baseball?

well they have the D-League, but the system itself cannot be compared to say the AAA, but baseball and basketball are 2 wayyy different sports, remember Basketball doesnt play 150+ games and only has a 12 man roster with only bout 8 guys that see playing time

SignGuyDino
03-28-2007, 01:04 AM
The D-League will eventually get a team for each NBA team. It will probably take a few short years but some owners and executives are griping about sharing D-League teams with other NBA teams. That's a sure bet we'll see 30 D-League teams before too long, hopefully owned by the NBA teams themselves.

There was two main problems with the NBDL: 1. It was a AAA level league playing in A level cities. 2. They play in venues that their attendance does not justify.

They got one of them right, moving teams out of Asheville, Greenville, etc. (and their league office is leaving Greenville and going back to Yankeeland later this year), and going to AAA level cities.

They still haven't figured out that it would make more sense to play in smaller venues in those larger cities until the attendance justifies going to larger barns. I'm sorry, 1,000 in a large high school or small college gym would have a greater impact on atmosphere than having ZZZZZZZZZZ games in a 12,000 seat arena that could never be filled no matter how many freebies they offer.

Frankly, only the CBA has the right to call promote itself as a "top flight" league besides the D-League. No other league does nor should pretend to without proving themselves first.

AConcernedCitizen
03-28-2007, 07:24 AM
:cool:
It's entirely possible that the PBL is simply a bluff by the smart owners to force Joe out. If every decent team leaves it will drive his share price down further and totally complicate his standings as the head of a publicly listed company.

But if it is real, posting a $500,000 is not going to happen. None of these owners, except maybe Rochester themselves either have this kind of money or would want to tie up this kind of money when they will need money to operate their teams.

The D-League franchise fee is only $400,000 so if I was going to park $500k or had that kind of money to park, I'm not sure I would post it with the PBL.

Sure, you get it back...but then again...

bdaly
03-28-2007, 08:30 AM
The bluff idea is interesting, but wouldn't it really just be easier to start fresh anyways? The ABA name has been tarnished, and then you'd have to kick out numerous weak franchises. I think it would be easier to start fresh with a new brand, pull the strong ABA teams over that share your philosophy, and take it from there. I think they're seeing that it's simply not worth the fight.

jamesaba
03-28-2007, 05:38 PM
:cool:
It's entirely possible that the PBL is simply a bluff by the smart owners to force Joe out. If every decent team leaves it will drive his share price down further and totally complicate his standings as the head of a publicly listed company.

But if it is real, posting a $500,000 is not going to happen. None of these owners, except maybe Rochester themselves either have this kind of money or would want to tie up this kind of money when they will need money to operate their teams.

The D-League franchise fee is only $400,000 so if I was going to park $500k or had that kind of money to park, I'm not sure I would post it with the PBL.

Sure, you get it back...but then again...

Correct me if I'm wrong but a 500,000 bond is basically an insurance policy with a max payout of 500k. Its not 500,000 of the owner's money put up.

My guess is that it cost 2-3% of the bond (10 to 15k) per year.

Someone fill me in if I'm off cause I'm not an expert.

jwalters
03-28-2007, 09:06 PM
At my school, Kentucky Wesleyan College, our athletic department held a contest this past basketball season for $14,000 or one years tuition. Only students could compete and you had to make a half court shot to win. To get the money though our athletic director got a bank to issue a bond for the amount. Well during the one game I missed a guy made it. There went the 14k and our halftime entertainment. We can't do the contest until another bank agrees to put up another bond. Thus far no one is willing to cover it. Point is I think the money is a sort of insurence instead of actual money in the owner's hand. I honestly don't know how you get one though. Hope this helps.

skippy
03-28-2007, 10:03 PM
I think what will end up happening is an irrevocable letter of credit that the league will hold, insuring each teamwill finish the season, travel, pay it's players, etc. If a team decides to get sloppy with it's operations, the league swoops in and utitlizes that letter to complete the season.

That's what the CHL did when it merged with the WPHL.

tbayz1
04-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Buffalo Silverbacks & the "PBL"

from my sources within the organization, theyre not like "yeah PBL here we come!!!" theyre a lil skeptical about the league and are unsure at this point, ill have some more time to sit and discus more offseason news with my sources soon, so dont count Buffalo in yet

panchess
04-03-2007, 08:38 AM
..requirement against operations. While Utah did fold this season, one result is that teams do not fold left and right during the season, as the letter of credit can be used for operations. The CBA struggled at times during the past season, but the dire predictions that it would fold or end up with four teams didn't happen.

A letter of credit is a bank commitment for a certain amount of funding. I wouldn't think it would be an insurance policy, like you would buy for event coverage like hitting a half-court shot.

My understanding is that Apex used the posted letter of credit to run the Utah Eagles (which they inherited from another owner a week before the season started) as long as they did, and that the letter of credit was used to keep the Michigan Mayhem in business through their last season.

The letter of credit is different than a franchise fee, which is the cost of joining the league. The franchise fee either supports the league (which I believe is the case in the D-League) or is paid to the current owners in the league (which I believe is the CBA practice), not the business operations of the individual franchises.

I agree with the sentiment that the proposed PBL is a bluff (or a goal unlikely to be realized), and the end result will be Rochester, Maryland and one or two other teams joining the D-League or CBA for next season. The CBA clearly needs Eastern teams, and those teams need a place to play. It makes sense to merge efforts.

TheHulk
04-03-2007, 09:39 PM
That would be great. I would love to the see the CBA come back to Pensacola. The Tornados were really fun to watch at the Civic Center when they were around. Besides, I think it's cool that you earn points for winning quarters and halves. Makes for some interesting basketball.

psbf
04-16-2007, 07:44 PM
was what color ball would the PBL use, with all the leagues in competition. But if the PBL is a bluff, I guess the question is void.

preeths
04-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Really going way out of their way for a simple bluff. Looks like much more to me.

psbf
04-16-2007, 10:40 PM
how many teams are collected in the PBL and who they are, even though my main focus will still be with the Xplosion and the CBA.
I think another question would be how fans of the teams joining the PBL will react.

LandRoverUT60
04-20-2007, 12:57 AM
...is St. George. It's far enough away from SLC that people would go to watch the local team than go 300 miles to watch the Jazz on a regular basis, and I'm confident that St. George would rally around their own team if it's in a decent league (unlike the Pioneerzz baseball team).

logoguru
04-20-2007, 09:23 AM
I would have liked to have seen all of these potential teams to join the CBA. Maybe theres still time? The league said this week the teams would be announced. Is that 5 business days or a weekweek?
________
CountlessCum (http://www.girlcamfriend.com/cam/CountlessCum/)