PDA

View Full Version : Fullerton Flyers Sold to Orange County Group

GBLCommish
03-19-2007, 09:00 PM
Hi Folks,

Just wanted to let everyone know that we have concluded a deal with an Orange County Group to purchase the Fullerton Flyers. We are impressed with this group and are excited to have moved into a new phase of the GBL's business development. Details will be in many publications tomorrow, but the text of the press release. As always, I'll be glad to answer any questions regarding this development or the GBL in general.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Golden Baseball League Sells Fullerton Flyers to Orange County Group
New Owners Include Actor James Denton of Desperate Housewives

(Pleasanton, CA. March 19, 2007) The Golden Baseball League, a professional independent minor league, is pleased to announce that the Fullerton Flyers Professional Baseball Club has been sold to an Orange County, CA. based investment group organized as the Fullerton Flyers LLC for a seven-figure purchase price. The new ownership group is headed by President Alan Mintz, longtime Orange County resident and an experienced owner of minor league sports franchises, and fellow managing partners Harris Tulchin and Bob Young, both prominent entertainment attorneys. Also, included in the ownership group is actor James Denton, who stars as Mike the Plumber on the hit television show Desperate Housewives.

“This sale marks a milestone for the Golden Baseball League as our first team to be acquired,” said GBL CEO David Kaval. “We launched this league three years ago under a single-entity ownership model to provide the early incubation and stability that had been lacking in many failed leagues over the years. Now that the structure for success is in place with facility leases, fan bases, business sponsors, and media awareness in our markets it makes sense to bring a strong local ownership group into the equation to take the team to the next level of business performance by tying it even stronger to the local community. Going forward, team sales or local ownership based expansion franchises will now be a part of our business model.”

“As a former owner of minor league teams, I’ve been looking for an opportunity that met my requirements of being in an excellent market and having a solid business foundation,” said Mintz. “I’m thrilled to have found that with the Fullerton Flyers and the Golden Baseball League and look forward to bringing first class family entertainment to fans from all over Orange County.”

“We are fortunate to now have such a strong local ownership group as part of the GBL,” concluded Kaval. “Their experience in minor league baseball coupled with their experience and connections in the entertainment industry and Orange County will be great for the league and will certainly give Flyer fans a superb night of family fun at Goodwin Field.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

DCNationals
03-19-2007, 09:37 PM
Good job. Hopefully that will be he first of many such sales. Will the new owner vote to get rid of the DH??? (lol)

Pietsch Fan
03-19-2007, 10:06 PM
Hopefully this ownership was better vetted than the one who "bought" the Surf Dawgs last year. :) I hope they keep Ed around. He promised to give us the VIP treatment and we're planning on going to some Fullerton games.

Mary

GBLCommish
03-19-2007, 11:06 PM
Hi Mary,

It's a great ownership group including a Prez who has owned and operated affiliated minor league teams in the past and a number of very well connected Orange County and entertainment industry business folks. We definitely learned a lesson from the San Diego situation last summer.....

Ed is very much in their plans and I believe that they consider him a key asset.

Best Regards,
Kevin

TheStandard
03-19-2007, 11:23 PM
That is great to hear. I'm new to Orange County(Huntington Beach) and will love going to see the Armada and The Flyers. Actually More Armada games since its 15 minutes away while Fullerton is 30. I wish there would be a team in Irvine. I've followed the league since its inception and have seen it grow. It's bad that San Diego won't be around but hey maybe put the team somewhere else next year.hint hint. Irvine lol. Or Maybe put the team in LA perhaps USC or UCLA. Besides that. I feel that the league is great. The teams are great. Room for improvement yes. I think more marketing needs to be done and its getting on a van going to the nearby towns and to the actually town where the team plays in and give out t shirts. calendars. baseballs. caps. and say hey. one adult ticket and the kid pays 1 dollar. or mom and son yes i said mom and son. the son goes in for free. more ideas to get people in the park and also it helps the team and the players that come from many different places for a share of a dream to be a pro player.

Now if the GBL would love to sponsor my amateur weekend baseball team. that would be nice :)

flyersgm
03-20-2007, 12:38 AM
I like the way you think, "The Standard". Those are actually some fun ideas, and I am sure you will see a lot of that with the Flyers this season, and beyond.

Also, if you are interested in earning some money for your weekend team, give me a call and we can do a ticket sales fundraiser with you. You guys sell Flyers tickets, and we will give you half the money. The more you sell, the more you make! Sell 1,000 tickets for games throughout the season, at $9 each, and that is $9k. You keep $4,500.

Anyone else want in on this, and let's talk! We want to sell 3,000 tickets to all 38 home games, so we are offering this deal to any group that wants to earn money for their league, team, organization, etc. The only catch is that you must be a non-profit...We already have about 12 Little Leagues doing this, as well...

Thanks!

Ed Hart
General Manager
Fullerton Flyers of Orange County :-)
714-526-8326 x 207

TheStandard
03-20-2007, 07:59 AM
Ed,

Thanks. Well I am right now working in the process of creating my group into a nonprofit group so I will truly take up your offer when that is done.

I mentioned the Mom and Son nights but also have a Dad and son nights. Sell a ticket package that will include food and drinks (Look at the Staten Island Yankees Marketing Plan)a Fullerton Titans appreciation night. Yes give total appreiciation to Those Players from the Cal State Fullerton program and the other athletes from the other sports. offer discounts to fullerton students. Have a day game for camps. I will always stress this. Clinics, Clinics, Clinics. All over the County. Make a trip to the Huntington Beach Pier and promote the team. Give them a real reason to go to Fullerton. Yes Orange County has the Angels, but we can all Make the Flyers Orange County's family team. The Peoples team. Low prices, great fun and see young men reach for their dream. This also goes for all GBL teams. They all have to reach out extensively so the people can support you. The Players give to you by playing their hearts out. So lets get the fans in the park so they can give their hearts for at least three hours of the day for their team.

RW22
03-20-2007, 11:19 PM
What is VIP treatment at a GBL game. I know the league has done some major damage control for San Diego fans (and well deserved); but is flyersgm offering more perks than the league already has? Season ticket holders throughout the league deserve the same treatment. Do the season ticket holders of Mesa or Suprise have any benefits left? Maybe the league should look at an all-stadium pass to include their season tickets for GA admission at any other venue...I mean, if a particular team is offering extra benefits, maybe I should go see them instead....thoughts??

TheStandard
03-20-2007, 11:25 PM
Well in the case of fullerton. they have new owners. they are no longer league owned. So in that case the owners can do what they want. Now when you have a group of teams that you solely own its hard to do different things because you are providing everything for a vast group of teams.

flyersgm
03-20-2007, 11:41 PM
You are correct in that all fans should get the VIP treatment, and in our park, we strive to do that every night. We know we fall short sometimes, but we also excel in a lot of ways. I hope you will come out to some games this summer and then report back to me whether or not you feel like you were given great treatment!

Even better, do it without our knowing...it is easy to pamper someone when you know they are there, but the real test this summer will be if EVERY fan feels special...that is my personal goal...

Thanks!

Go Flyers! Orange County's team!!! :-)

RW22
03-21-2007, 12:05 AM
Sorry flyersgm, but you did not answear the question I had. What VIP treatment are you offering San Diego fans that no other GBL season ticket holder have? Why are we excluded from the "benefits"? I would assume that your ballpark would allow "ANY" fan a nice night of fun and entertainment. However, from what I am reading in this string is: you have opened up "extra" benefits for another club (San Diego). Again, does that offer include clubs that have been previously been retracted from the league? If not, why? If so, how does anyone contact you regarding the issue? I mean, we had a whole ton of Japanese people attend "road" games for an entire year....
I now you are not "league" owned now, and congrats on that--but does that make you one to make offers the other teams cannot??

flyersgm
03-21-2007, 09:35 AM
First of all, no I cannot make offers for any other team in the GBL, but I am pretty sure that they would make the same offer to all fans in markets that have lost their GBL team.

I am officially extending the offer to ANY former GBL season ticket holder in markets that are now dark (SD, Mesa, and Surprise). If any of you come to the ticket booth in Fullerton, your name will be on a list, and you will receive a free Club Level seat for the game. No limit on the number of games you attend...Just show your ID from the area affected...

Obviously, if you were a Mesa season seat holder (for example) and now live in Fullerton, we cannot honor the offer all season long, but if you make the trip, or are in town visiting, come on out!

We are always happy to have baseball fans, and we believe that we have an amazing product! Who of you out there would not LOVE to do what we do for a living! We are living the dream, and VERY blessed to be able to do this.

Thanks! Sorry if there was confusion or a feeling of being excluded. That was never the intention...

Even if you were not a season ticket holder in those markets, if you want to come visit Fullerton for a couple of games, call me and we will have you as our guests.

Thanks!

Ed

Pietsch Fan
03-21-2007, 10:31 AM
Sorry, I didn't mean to cause such a fuss. I should have been clearer that I was looking forward to attending a Fullerton Flyers game and seeing Ed and all his facility had to offer. I didn't get a chance to attend a game in Fullerton last year and since we don't have a team any more we're excited to travel north to see some GBL. I'm sure Fullerton, Ed and their new ownership are going to make everyone feel welcomed and VIP'd whether they're current Flyer's season ticket holders, former GBL cities or first time attendies.

Mary

RW22
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
No fuss at all Pietsch Fan/flyersgm. I was just looking for a clarification of what a "VIP" status might be, as I think that every person should be treated the same way in the ballpark. Wheather you be a sponsor, season ticket holder or the guy who just shows up in town with nothing else to do. Customer service in the GBL overall is poor, and the San Diego situation was one great example. It was not until the good fans like yourself started to post all the "rumors" here, that the league responded. Even then, there was not much truth coming out of Pleasenton until they started reading what they did not want you to hear. The truth. I know you can't take all you read here as the absolute truth; but when you hear the same story from 10 different people...you know there is something going on. Although they say that they learned alot from the situation, I will be on a wait-and-see approach as to how this season is handled. Enjoy your games in Fullerton, it is a great baseball town!

SDawgs
03-21-2007, 07:15 PM
7 figures where are those decimal points

FlyerFan
03-21-2007, 07:43 PM
7 figures where are those decimal points
After the 7 figures, I'm sure!