PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wayne could join D-League lineup

sportsguy12
03-15-2007, 02:29 PM
Fort Wayne could be in the loop. Looks like former Fury owner is involved.

http://www.fortwayne.com/mld/journalgazette/sports/16907976.htm

sportsguy12
03-15-2007, 03:13 PM
would be nice addition. The Fort Wayne franchise would join:

NATIONAL CONFERENCE
Eastern Division
Iowa*
Dakota
Sioux Falls
LaCrosse*
Fort Wayne*

Midwest Division
Fort Worth
RGV*
Tulsa
Austin
Arkansas

AMERICAN CONFERENCE
Northwest Division
Idaho
Colorado
Utah*
Reno*

Western Division
Los Angeles
Albuquerque
Anaheim
Bakersfield
*???? one more for an even 20?

*expansion teams

If they were aggressive, I could see them adding Rochester, NY; New York, Trenton and Boston, but I think they will wait another year on an Atlantic Division pocket. The Newark arena opens in 09 and I think they also wind up there.

sportsguy12
03-15-2007, 06:08 PM
if the league wants to get to 30 teams:
- Rapid City
- Upper Marlboro
- Norfolk
- Florida may make a return.

jjbballfan
03-16-2007, 02:41 AM
I will agree Rapid City should be considered-- watched high school games there tonight.. great atmosphere
Others I've thought of.
Yakima/Vancuver/Olympia
Reno-- (might already have one on the way)
Chico
Cheyenne/Casper
Kearny/Omaha/Lincoln
Fargo-Morehead
Rochester, MN
Topeka/Dodge City
Oklahoma City
Springfield, Illinois
St. Joseph Missouri

Just throwing out some cities that I think would fit with minor league sports, I don't know if there are arenas in these areas able of hosting just throwing some names out.

sportsguy12
03-16-2007, 12:00 PM
I will agree Rapid City should be considered-- watched high school games there tonight.. great atmosphere
Others I've thought of.
Yakima/Vancuver/Olympia
Reno-- (might already have one on the way)
Chico
Cheyenne/Casper
Kearny/Omaha/Lincoln
Fargo-Morehead
Rochester, MN
Topeka/Dodge City
Oklahoma City
Springfield, Illinois
St. Joseph Missouri

Just throwing out some cities that I think would fit with minor league sports, I don't know if there are arenas in these areas able of hosting just throwing some names out.

I think Chico on down on your list are a bit small, with the exception of OKC. I think they might land a team after the Hornets return full-time to NO. St. Joseph didn't support USBL.

Cazzzmo
03-16-2007, 12:34 PM
Fargo-Moorhead is about twice the size of Bismarck-Mandan . . . and Dakota seems to do okay in the D-League. The problem is that NDSU in Fargo recently went D-1 across the board and enjoyed some success in hoops this year . . . they are the 'show' in that town while in Bis-Man the Wizards are a much 'bigger deal'. There's a lot of disposable income in Rochester MN and a pretty good population. Close enough to Mpls-StPl to get some press now and then too. I'm surprised that a minor-league hoop team hasn't stuck in Rochester. Just a few observations. :mrgreen:

sportsguy12
03-16-2007, 03:46 PM
Fargo-Moorhead is about twice the size of Bismarck-Mandan . . . and Dakota seems to do okay in the D-League. The problem is that NDSU in Fargo recently went D-1 across the board and enjoyed some success in hoops this year . . . they are the 'show' in that town while in Bis-Man the Wizards are a much 'bigger deal'. There's a lot of disposable income in Rochester MN and a pretty good population. Close enough to Mpls-StPl to get some press now and then too. I'm surprised that a minor-league hoop team hasn't stuck in Rochester. Just a few observations. :mrgreen:

but that won't really be a good test. I know the had a CBA team a while back, which didn't last.

The F-M Beez apparently drew well, but I'm thinking the league will like RC.

sportsguy12
03-24-2007, 11:35 PM
anyone hear anything

USBasket_EricE
03-25-2007, 11:23 PM
The F-M Beez apparently drew well, but I'm thinking the league will like RC.

The Beez folded due to "not so sweet attendance" according to an article in the Bismarck Tribune back in 2002 (I have the article but I'm not typing the whole thing). I'm sure it is due to NDSU sports and possibly the fact that the Minnesota Timberwolves are only 3 hours away.

jjbballfan
03-26-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm really disapointed this year with there web-site and expansion, last season they posted rumors of cities and kept everybody informed, this season they had a thing about Des Mois for maybe a week and I don't even know if they mentioned the other teams..

sportsguy12
03-26-2007, 11:17 AM
I'm really disapointed this year with there web-site and expansion, last season they posted rumors of cities and kept everybody informed, this season they had a thing about Des Mois for maybe a week and I don't even know if they mentioned the other teams..

Each expansion team already has their own website page on the D-League site. I don't think they can do anything else. They did mention Utah and RGV. The top news story rotates when you click through them.

When they announce nicknames, I'm sure that will be up as well as any other new teams. What more can they do?

jjbballfan
03-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I did not know that they had web-sites maybe last season with the established CBA franchises joining it was more publicised it just seems that its more hush hush this year

Minor League Man
03-26-2007, 05:03 PM
Also, the RGV owner said a name-the-team contest would be posted on the website March 5.

It's March 26 now, and still no contest up?

I really have to question whether some owners can be trusted...

jjbballfan
03-26-2007, 11:59 PM
Ya I've noticed that all 3 expansion teams have yet to name a mascot, Iowa is trying to sell it aparently RGV is trying to have a contest for it and Orem is well who knows.

jjbballfan
03-28-2007, 10:52 PM
http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=6289776&nav=0RYd

Sounds like Ft. Wayne is going to happen, will that be it for 07-08 season?

bectond
03-29-2007, 12:27 PM
http://www.wane.com/Global/story.asp?S=6289776&nav=0RYd

Sounds like Ft. Wayne is going to happen, will that be it for 07-08 season?

Yes, they will play next season and they are keeping the name Fury.

sportsguy12
03-29-2007, 12:54 PM
I did not know that they had web-sites maybe last season with the established CBA franchises joining it was more publicised it just seems that its more hush hush this year

so there's more news to publicize. I don't think you can call it hush hush at all. I think you didn't see the webpages and you didn't see the news. All of the expansion teams had news items that were up for 1-2 weeks. It's old news now.

bectond
03-29-2007, 01:13 PM
With Omaha, LaCrosse and Youngstown seemingly on tap, the Sarasota arena on hold and the Fort Myers arena issues and whether Old Dominion or the Scope is the better venue in Norfolk. There just are not any other hot rumors to report on. It may take a few years to find enough SE teams to form a division due to the fact the league has already failed in that region once and is now prepared to take its good ole time finding just the right markets. I think most of the NE teams will follow the Lakers model. So there is nothing to really report, minus the SE expansion issues the league is pretty much set.

sportsguy12
04-10-2007, 09:49 AM
See article on OSC.

Minor League Man
04-10-2007, 10:13 AM
Yes, they will play next season and they are keeping the name Fury.
Actually, the news article says they don't have a name yet.

Freedom
04-12-2007, 05:28 PM
Actually, the news article says they don't have a name yet.

One of the former Fury owners has a minority stake in the new team. He is the one hoping to keep the Fury name.

Now they are planning to have a "name the team contest" and Fury could be one of the choices. Also heard Fire and a few other being kicked around. The contest should be up and running fairly soon.

mzracing76
04-17-2007, 01:46 AM
there are 2 former FURY owners in this group

Jay Frye
Don Sutton

have both been part of the ownership group during 1991-1999.