PDA

View Full Version : DH Rule in GBL

DCNationals
02-11-2007, 11:24 AM
One of the things I REALLY liked about Surf Dawgs games in 2005 was that the GBL was actually playing real baseball, with the pitchers hitting. Between my family and myself, we probably bought 75 tickets during the season. In 2006, we bought zero, and went to SD Padres games instead. How many other people were turned off by the assinine decision of the league to introduce the DH rule???

padsfan2
02-11-2007, 07:18 PM
From what I understand, after talking to some players, is that the GBL decided to go with the DH almost at the beginning of the 2006 season, after the teams selected pitchers who could hit. Another great decision by the GBL.

Pietsch Fan
02-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I think it was also because most, if not all, of the other independent leagues use the dh.

Mary

rams80
02-11-2007, 10:14 PM
As do the affiliated leagues.

DawgsBooster2
02-12-2007, 11:04 AM
One of the things I REALLY liked about Surf Dawgs games in 2005 was that the GBL was actually playing real baseball, with the pitchers hitting. Between my family and myself, we probably bought 75 tickets during the season. In 2006, we bought zero, and went to SD Padres games instead. How many other people were turned off by the assinine decision of the league to introduce the DH rule???

DCNationals... does the DH really spoile the game that badly for you?

DCNationals
02-12-2007, 11:58 AM
Yes it does. There is simply no strategy to watch with a DH.

Pietsch Fan
02-12-2007, 12:13 PM
Yes it does. There is simply no strategy to watch with a DH.

So you don't watch any independent baseball, affiliated minor league baseball or any American League baseball?

I think the strategy is the same with or without the DH. With the DH someone might hit the ball and put it in play, without the DH the pitcher will probably strike out or get thrown out at first.

DCNationals
02-12-2007, 07:08 PM
Of course I watch baseball. However, what drove me to go to SurfDawgs games was the simple fact that real baseball was being played. Hitting pitchers was what made the Surf Dawgs stand out. They are not the only game in town. For the same price, you can see a much higher level of game with the Mexican League Tijuana Potros, and beer at the Tijuana stadium most certainly does NOT cost $5.00 a glass. For considerably less, (and for $1.25 beer) you can see the same level of ball with the minor league team in Tecate. In a perfect world, I would opt for the team where the pitchers hit. Since none of them did in 2006, I opted for higher level play and cheaper beer. (and pretty cheerleaders...)

DCNationals
02-12-2007, 07:13 PM
There is much more strategy in the NL, it is not the point of whether the pitcher will strike out, but whether he should be pinch hit for. It makes for a much more interesting game, and NL managers actually earn their salaries.

rams80
02-12-2007, 07:55 PM
There is much more strategy in the NL, it is not the point of whether the pitcher will strike out, but whether he should be pinch hit for. It makes for a much more interesting game, and NL managers actually earn their salaries.

(Cardinals fan speaking here). I see it both ways. Yes, there is perhaps a little more strategery involved in who to pinch when, but methinks AL managers also earn their paychecks in deciding who to pitch too and when to pull someone. Anyway the Cardinals' adaptation under LaRussa has been to get guys who can hit a little (while they aren't necessarily ace pitchers). Not sure if that has always been a good idea.

Anti-GBL'er
02-16-2007, 11:53 AM
So you don't watch any independent baseball, affiliated minor league baseball or any American League baseball?

I think the strategy is the same with or without the DH. With the DH someone might hit the ball and put it in play, without the DH the pitcher will probably strike out or get thrown out at first.

I have to disagree with both of you. There is strategy with the DH, it's just different than w/o the DH. I prefer NL style of baseball but that shouldn't take away from watching the game itself. And if any of you are buying the crap that the GBL Commish is posting on this site, then you're being fed a bunch of bull. That's my two cents so don't ask me any questions because I'm not going to bad mouth their "experiment". I'm simply saying don't believe everything you read.

DawgsBooster2
02-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I have to disagree with both of you. There is strategy with the DH, it's just different than w/o the DH. I prefer NL style of baseball but that shouldn't take away from watching the game itself. And if any of you are buying the crap that the GBL Commish is posting on this site, then you're being fed a bunch of bull. That's my two cents so don't ask me any questions because I'm not going to bad mouth their "experiment". I'm simply saying don't believe everything you read.

Donít get me wrong Iíve got a beef with the GBL, but itís not with the Commish, nor the organization as a whole. My beef is with Amit (and itís been beat to death so I wonít start it up again). But dang man, I gotta say from personal experience and from seeing real life unfold that the Commissioner has been nothing by straight with Mary (PietschFan) and I.

Anti-GBL'er if this: "That's my two cents so don't ask me any questions because I'm not going to bad mouth their "experiment". I'm simply saying don't believe everything you read." is all you have to say then that makes you a troll.

Nothing is detested on message boards, in email groups or on BBS's as much as trolls are.

*shrug*

heavesrock
02-16-2007, 05:06 PM
There is strategy with the DH, it's just different than w/o the DH

With DH Strategy. Stand around and wait to hit a home run.

Without DH strategy. Try to get on base with singles and doubles and try to advance the runners, score and get many runs as possible that way before the pitcher comes up.

You see in the NL you must figure out a way to advance runners, you steal bases, bunt, hit and run, and hit sac flies. In the AL you just wait for a home run.

Pietsch Fan
02-16-2007, 05:34 PM
I'm in an NL town, so that's what I'm used to, but I think you'd find some AL fans who might disagree that all they do it wait around for home runs. We had a pitcher last year who doubled as our DH. He got mad because our stat sheets for pitcher's didn't show batting stats and he wanted to get picked up by an NL team.

Mary

Baseball Dad
02-16-2007, 05:49 PM
I am basiclly a traditionalist. However, is a manager really a great strategist when he has his pitcher bunt a runner over or intentionally walk the hitter before a pitcher? As far as NL vs AL - the Angels & A's come to mind first as "little ball" teams the past few years. BTW - I believe the NL out-homered AL last year.