PDA

View Full Version : Richmond Ballerz: Status

The Magician
02-10-2007, 02:58 PM
Can anyone confirm or deny the ceasing of operations by the Richmond Ballerz? Last game played 01/11/07 ...

Their official ABA scheduled game for tonight @ Strong Island
http://www.allprosoftware.net/abaschedule/aplsteam68.htm
is no more ...

The Sound will be hosting the Newark Express
http://www.hometeamsonline.com/visit/?u=SISTRONG&sport=basketball&t=c

Wow, my wonderful ABA Excel spreadsheet is receiving more and more XXX marks.

zeke41
02-10-2007, 11:43 PM
It seems like they are done. The Wilmington team is trying to reschedule a game on Tuesday with another opponent. They were supposed to play the Richmond team!

preeths
02-11-2007, 12:17 AM
I have been told they are supposedly done for the year. Of course, so was Knoxville.

Minor League Man
02-11-2007, 12:46 AM
What, Knoxville's back?

How did they show up again?

psbf
02-11-2007, 01:07 AM
Well, there's an old saying by former Baseball great Yogi Berra, which I think applies to more than that just sport. "It ain't over 'till it's over." I think it applies to some teams in this league also.

The Magician
02-11-2007, 01:37 AM
I have been told they are supposedly done for the year.

"Way to go Joe!" :rolleyes:

We sure can see the results from those franchises being helped on an "everyday" basis ...

jamesaba
02-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Can someone explain how a team owned by Allen Iverson's mom can fold???

mikeyratt
02-12-2007, 08:31 AM
ZERO publicity

2 Div I schools and a top D II school within 10 miles

past failures in the ABA , although very few knew about that team either and the IBL

oh and ZERO publicity, did I mention that ?

zeke41
02-12-2007, 11:20 AM
The Orlando Aces are headed to NC to cover the Richmond game on Tuesday. This should be interesting! Anyone gonna check it out?

nksports
02-12-2007, 05:57 PM
Can someone explain how a team owned by Allen Iverson's mom can fold???

Even Allen Iverson's mom can get conned. Unless she is either independently wealthy, or Allen is giving her money, there is only so much money one person can lose over something like this.

The Magician
02-21-2007, 12:06 AM
Ballerz can't rebound from problems, plan to return
Richmond Times-Dispatch
Feb 20, 2007

Another Richmond minor-league basketball franchise has folded but vows to return.

The Richmond Ballerz of the American Basketball Association will not play anymore games in the 2006-07 season. The campaign started in November and was filled with schedule changes, missed games and mishaps.

But coach Mike Davis believes his squad will return next season.

"We have ceased operation for this current season," Davis said when reached by phone yesterday. "But we will resume operation beginning in the spring with tryouts. The plan is to regroup and have a new team next year."

Davis would not elaborate on the future of the franchise, only saying that a couple of issues needed to be resolved before he could comment further. -- Stephen M. Lewis

ABARedWhiteBlue
02-21-2007, 09:54 PM
http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-ballerzf22,0,6300385.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Ann Iverson's Richmond Ballerz on hold
Ann Iverson's team is running on fumes, might cease operations on Thursday morning.
By DAVID SQUIRES
Daily Press
February 21, 2007, 8:10 PM EST
The American Basketball Association team owned by Ann Iverson has temporarily suspended operations but hopes to finish its season with three games in March.

George Christopher, general manager for the Richmond Ballerz, said the team last played on Jan. 11 in Wilmington, N.C. After running into some financial difficulties, the team cut out its home games and planned to finish the season with only road games.

Iverson said she will leave that decision to Christopher. She said Wednesday night that she let Christopher run the team this season and that she had preferred to begin play next season.

"The team next season might be some of these same players, and it might not be," she said. Iverson said the team definitely will be up and running next season, regardless of what happens this week.

Christopher denied reports that the team had ceased operations until next season, saying the team's coach claims he was misquoted in a Richmond newspaper. Christopher said he learned of the story when he arrived in Richmond on Tuesday morning after attending NBA All-Star 2007 Weekend in Las Vegas.

"When I got off the plane coming from Las Vegas, I had all these calls about this story," Christopher said. "That was the first I'd heard of it."

On Wednesday night, Christopher said a final decision on the season might be made on Thursday morning.

Christopher said the team found out near the end of last year that it would not receive some financial commitments that he had been counting on. The team also was impacted because franchises in Alexandria, Norfolk and Baltimore never got off the ground to start the season, he said..

That pushed the Ballerz' road games farther out, to such locations as New Jersey and Buffalo.

The ABA also had not been aware that the Ballerz had ceased play this season. In an e-mail, ABA CEO Joe Newman said: "It's not right that the newspaper knows what's going on but the league doesn't."

Maybe the league does know - it was just the former CEO who was unaware...

Fells
02-21-2007, 11:09 PM
He didn't know the team had ceased operations??????????? Good Lord, this man doesn't know poop about what is going on in his own league?? Newman's quote was simply priceless. I am convinced my two year old niece has more of a clue as to what is going on in the ABA than what Joe does. Priceless.

nksports
02-22-2007, 12:37 AM
So much spinning, they're all dizzy.

The Magician
02-22-2007, 01:57 AM
The ABA also had not been aware that the Ballerz had ceased play this season. In an e-mail, ABA CEO Joe Newman said: "It's not right that the newspaper knows what's going on but the league doesn't."

doesn't know what's going on within the ABA ???

Because it's the teams who are running the show now ...

They had no choice in the matter!

Joe's crew had lost all ability to manage the league ...

mvhcpa
02-22-2007, 11:06 AM
Joe's crew had lost all ability to manage the league ...

...ever part of Joe's business model ("C'mon check, CLEAR, already")?

Michael Val
(who thinks Joe might just end up in jail this time, 'cause you don't screw with the SEC--ask Enron, WolrdCom, and Arthur Andersen!)

The Magician
02-23-2007, 03:40 PM
Ballerz to shut down

After playing a game on Sunday, Ann Iverson's ABA team will cease operations until next season.

By DAVID SQUIRES
Daily Press
February 23, 2007, 12:16 AM EST

The American Basketball Association team owned by Ann Iverson will cease operations for the 2006-07 season after playing a game Sunday in Maryland, the team's GM said Thursday.

George Christopher said the Richmond Ballerz, who have not played since Jan. 11, will be fully operational next season.

Ann Iverson, mom of the NBA's Allen Iverson, had said Wednesday that she let Christopher run the team this season.

Christopher said the team has endorsements and sponsors lined up for the 2007-08 season. The team had been plagued this season by financial issues.

Christopher said the team will end its season with a team in Montgomery County, Md. at 4 p.m. Sunday.

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-ballerzf23,0,6365922.story?coll=dp-sports-local

ABARedWhiteBlue
02-25-2007, 09:57 PM
I guess Richmond got a jump on their off-season:

Today's Nighthawks game cancelled due to severe weather
02/25/07 - American Basketball Association (ABA) Maryland NightHawks

Rockville, MD - The American Basketball Association game scheduled for Sunday afternoon, February 25 between the Maryland Nighthawks and Richmond Ballerz has been cancelled due to severe weather conditions in the Rockville, Maryland area.
The Nighthawks made it into Maryland early Sunday morning following Saturday evening's 112-102 win in Long Island, just before freezing rain, sleet, and snow began to fall in the Washington Metropolitan area. Nighthawks' officials decided to cancel the game as a safety precaution to Nighthawk staff and fans.

Tickets for today's game will be honored at next weekend's game, Saturday, March 3 against the Knoxville Noise at 7:05 PM.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3430544

rams80
02-26-2007, 01:23 AM
Felt I should add that the local weather was indeed bad enough to make travel hazardous.

robster2001
03-24-2007, 07:46 PM
The Ballerz are moving to Hampton Roads to be closer to Mrs. Iverson, according to the press release on the OSC ABA page (3/24/07).

The Ballerz' press release indicates that another sucker... um, I mean, owner... has been found for what will be (if it comes off) Richmond's third different ABA franchise in three years.

Another $10k for Unca Joe. Cha-ching, baby...

The Magician
03-24-2007, 10:02 PM
Someone should persuade Ms. Iverson's to move her venture away from the ABA!

Minor League Man
03-24-2007, 10:15 PM
I agree with you Magician! My parents lived there for a few years right after they got married, so they have a lot of friends right there, who I've gotten along with as well.

Now if we could only convince them to get away from the ABA...I'd LOVE a Maryland/Hampton rivalry in the PBL!

The Magician
03-24-2007, 10:35 PM
I agree with you Magician! My parents lived there for a few years right after they got married, so they have a lot of friends right there, who I've gotten along with as well.

Now if we could only convince them to get away from the ABA...I'd LOVE a Maryland/Hampton rivalry in the PBL!

There are some credible individuals out there who could stimulate some discussions about the Hampton Roads team looking to play in another league ...

Jones235
03-25-2007, 04:01 PM
I live in the Hampton Roads area, so I was interested to read this news. I had planned to attend a Ballerz game in Richmond this season, but then they discontinued operations, so I was disappointed.
I hope that they will have better luck next year, but I am not optimistic. The competition for the winter sports dollar is tough. Norfolk has AHL hockey, and Old Dominion men's and women's basketball have loyal followings. Throw in two more D-I schools (Hampton and Norfolk State), as well as a D-3 school that was national champion in 2006 and runner-up this year (Virginia Wesleyan), and add in high school hoops, and you are looking at tough sell.
I will be at the opener, though- it might be my only chance to see the ABA in the Seven Cities.

bomp
03-25-2007, 10:57 PM
I will be at the opener, though- it might be my only chance to see the ABA in the Seven Cities.

Don't waste your money.