PDA

View Full Version : Rockstars could return..but not in ABA

Minor League Man
02-10-2007, 12:21 PM
I checked out their myspace, and it displayed an updated logo, with an all-orange basketball instead of the RWB one.

I think that means they're leaving the ABA...Do you think they're CBA material?

Minor League Man
02-10-2007, 12:33 PM
This just in from the Rockstars website:

ROCKSTARS SPEAKING WITH OTHERS PRO LEAGUES
February 10th 2007 Posted to Press
CHICAGO, IL — The Chicago Rockstars’ owner, Marques Sullivan and General Manager Donell Ausley have been speaking with other pro basketball leagues for future play. “We want the fans to know that we are committed to providing the great city of Chicago with an alternative to the high ticket prices in Chicago”, says Marques Sullivan. Names of the league have not been disclosed as of yet. “The Rockstars will have a great presence in the Chicago, says Sullivan. “We simply want to enter a league that is best suited for us”, Sullivan adds.

Stay tuned for more exciting Rockstars news in the future.

Let the speculation begin...

psbf
02-10-2007, 12:47 PM
I saw that. I would think the other league would either be the CBA or the USBDL, although I would like to see them join the CBA. I don't know what their turnout was like, but I would think they have a better future switching leagues, which is obviously their hopes too.

The Magician
02-10-2007, 12:50 PM
Chicago Rockstars’ owner, Marques Sullivan says,

“We simply want to enter a league that is best suited for us.”

That's exactly what all prospective ownerships should be thinking about from the get-go!

Lessons Learned ... Let the Hoops Action continue in Chicago.

rams80
02-10-2007, 12:51 PM
I hope they realize other leagues take a very dim view of postponing games so the players can watch the Bears game.

MJHankel
02-10-2007, 02:39 PM
I think that it would be nice if they joined the USBL. It would put somebody else actually near the Steelheads.

Though I would say that if it was my team I would prefer to get into the CBA, but the USBL is much less expensive. Not only that but they would not have to compete with the Bulls for fans, and being that they would be right next to the Steelheads they would not have to deal with the extreme travel distances like the CBA all the time.

Besides, they were having financial trouble (at least I was told that), the CBA is pricy (good but pricy).

I would also think that getting back into the game sooner than later would help out their credibility with fans.

psbf
02-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Please explain to me how the Chicago Rockstars would not have to compete with the Chicago Bulls? The only way would be if they relocated. But, yes, Gary would be the closest(that I know of).
As far as the CBA, yes there is a distance problem but that would become less of one when more teams are added(hopefully the Rockstars will be added).

MJHankel
02-10-2007, 03:24 PM
Well being that the USBL is more conflicting with standard baseball seasons than basketball, that is why I said that they would not have to compete with the bulls (at least not as much).

psbf
02-10-2007, 04:20 PM
That's cool.

jamesaba
02-10-2007, 04:51 PM
Please someone explain to me what the ABA did to hinder the Rockstars success?

And don't give me all this stuff about "Joe Newman told Marques Sullivan it would be easy and it wasn't"!

I'm trying to figure out why folks think that a pro basketball franchise that attracted 30 fans a game would be any more successful in another league.

If I'm not mistaken it was the Rockstars who, in an Aba-like fashion, were the ones who skipped several road games.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-10-2007, 05:42 PM
Please someone explain to me what the ABA did to hinder the Rockstars success?

And don't give me all this stuff about "Joe Newman told Marques Sullivan it would be easy and it wasn't"!

I'm trying to figure out why folks think that a pro basketball franchise that attracted 30 fans a game would be any more successful in another league.

If I'm not mistaken it was the Rockstars who, in an Aba-like fashion, were the ones who skipped several road games.

The ABA did nothing to hinder the Rockstars success in my opinion. If I had the muscle control, I would read their latest press release with one raised eyebrow (no way I can do the Rock thing using only one eye :)). Excuse-making 320 (the advanced course) is all it is. Minor league basketball doesn't work in a town with Northwestern U., DePaul, UIC, Loyola, Chicago State, and the Bulls (to name just a few) to compete against.

...and while I'm ranting. The mention of "affordable this and affordable that" in press releases is starting to get old. It's all an illusion. The average family drops a bundle on a night out for major league or MINOR league action. Potential owners need to realize this and market accordingly.