PDA

View Full Version : Chicago Rockstars are gone !!

WHAFAN
02-05-2007, 10:02 AM
The 3rd largest city in America, where people are basketball fanatics, has lost their ABA franchise. I guess the 22 fans at each game didn't help pay bills. If this situation isn't enough to scare off potential new owners, what will? I attended Northeastern Illinois University for 4 years, also the home of the Chicago Rockstars. Located in a very nice residential area, easy to get to by car, train or bus, there was absolutely 100% no interest at all in this lame team in a lame league. A few weeks ago, there was a park district floor hockey league tournament for kids between 10-14 years old. There must have been at least 600 people in the gym for this. The Rockstars would draw literally 20-30 people for a home game. Thats 3 strikes for Chicago with the ABA........I'm positive teams in Murray Kentucky , Rio Grande, and Corning NY have a huge chance of success!! 13TH man, celebrity players, and an 8 foot Chinese guy.......this isn't a pro league, its a freak show. If this Chinese guy had any skills I'm sure an NBA team would have latched onto him long ago. How many extra fans will you draw with a sideshow? Maybe at some home games, players can play on stilts, jump through hoops on fire, and swallow swords at the free throw line. Forget quality players and pro teams, lets have ourselves an ABA Circus!!

AConcernedCitizen
02-05-2007, 10:10 AM
Just out of curiousity, what basketball team do you go see play? How far away is it? How much do you pay for your ticket?

WHAFAN
02-05-2007, 10:25 AM
We went to the December 2nd game against Quad Cities. How far is it away from where? It's 6 miles from me, but if your somewhere else other than near me, it could be farther or closer for you!! Tickets were $6, and I should have asked for $5.50 change back.

AConcernedCitizen
02-05-2007, 10:33 AM
Why did you go? To confirm what you wanted to believe in your mind or hoping it would have been good?

WHAFAN
02-05-2007, 10:43 AM
It was like a bloody car crash......you hate to see it, your glad it wasn't you, but when you pass it, you can't help but glance at it. It confirmed my thought all right, boring, unprofessional, a waste of time and money, and would NOT have ever gone to another one. Apparently my thoughts are the concensious, as the team is no more !!

AConcernedCitizen
02-05-2007, 01:07 PM
So where will you go now to watch a game?

WHAFAN
02-05-2007, 01:12 PM
I'll stick with supporting the old high school team. They draw 800 people, they have really neat looking uniforms, they travel to other schools, never have cancelled games, and year in and year out since the schools inception in 1960, have never missed a scheduled game. All this for free because I'm an alumn. Can anyone in the ABA circle of jerks make these claims and be honest about it??

sportsguy12
02-05-2007, 01:14 PM
The 3rd largest city in America, where people are basketball fanatics, has lost their ABA franchise. I guess the 22 fans at each game didn't help pay bills. If this situation isn't enough to scare off potential new owners, what will? I attended Northeastern Illinois University for 4 years, also the home of the Chicago Rockstars. Located in a very nice residential area, easy to get to by car, train or bus, there was absolutely 100% no interest at all in this lame team in a lame league. A few weeks ago, there was a park district floor hockey league tournament for kids between 10-14 years old. There must have been at least 600 people in the gym for this. The Rockstars would draw literally 20-30 people for a home game. Thats 3 strikes for Chicago with the ABA........I'm positive teams in Murray Kentucky , Rio Grande, and Corning NY have a huge chance of success!! 13TH man, celebrity players, and an 8 foot Chinese guy.......this isn't a pro league, its a freak show. If this Chinese guy had any skills I'm sure an NBA team would have latched onto him long ago. How many extra fans will you draw with a sideshow? Maybe at some home games, players can play on stilts, jump through hoops on fire, and swallow swords at the free throw line. Forget quality players and pro teams, lets have ourselves an ABA Circus!!

if they pull any sheninigans like other ABA teams, especially with the D-League coming to town. I don't see them being very successful at any rate.

heavesrock
02-05-2007, 07:33 PM
I very much enjoyed the Rockstars game I went to. Only about 150 people there though.