PDA

View Full Version : Bids for the 2007-2008 ABA All-Star Game

The Magician
01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
What cities should submit a bid for next year's 2008 All-Star game?

(Of course, that's if there is a bidding process in the ABA???)

Minor League Man
01-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Quebec would me my top choice (that's their quadricentennial year-400th anniversary)

dclarke69
01-31-2007, 06:06 PM
I say Irvine, CA in Orange County!

heavesrock
01-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Vermont. We actually care about our team.

Other than that I wouldn't mind Peoria, Jacksonville, Quebec or a good new expansion team.

rams80
01-31-2007, 07:18 PM
Corning, NY.

Seriously though, Rochester

teqkng
01-31-2007, 07:32 PM
If it was in Jacksonville I would be sure to commit the auditorium downtown... The Jam ownership itself is a true class act and would do everything in its power to make sure it was marketed well. That and NO MORE MEDIA SC&$W UPS by the ABA!!! Besides I am sure they have their sights set on moving there in a few years anyway.

nksports
01-31-2007, 09:56 PM
I bid $20 to hold the game at historic Lindley Hall, Newton, KS, capacity maybe 1,000 (after they took a bunch of the old bleachers out). Served as home of the Newton High School Railroaders for decades. Only KC Wyandotte has won more titles. Also a former home of the Bethel College Threshers. Exit I-135 at the First Street-Broadway exit. Take Broadway west to Poplar. Turn right and the gym is on your right.

Minor League Man
01-31-2007, 11:02 PM
If it was in Jacksonville I would be sure to commit the auditorium downtown... The Jam ownership itself is a true class act and would do everything in its power to make sure it was marketed well. That and NO MORE MEDIA SC&$W UPS by the ABA!!! Besides I am sure they have their sights set on moving there in a few years anyway.
I hear that the Jam plans on moving to the Veterans Memorial Arena in 2008-09.

The Magician
02-01-2007, 01:08 AM
"Are you ready to Jam!" :)

Yes, I think the Jax Jam organization would do a great job at hosting an All-Star event.

And they appear to have established a good relationship with the media outlets in just their inaugural year.

Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena
http://www.jaxevents.com/jacksonvillearena/

teqkng
02-01-2007, 09:44 AM
Lets look at it from another standpoint that makes more sense, for the playoffs AND Championship game.

1. Location Location Location. The area is used to tournaments and the city would likely get involved on all levels.

2. The Jam organization itself looks to be among the best in the league and has the promotional capability to assist the ABA in the financial success of the endeavour.

3. Other than perhaps Texas, Arkansas who do not draw the crowds that Jacksonville does there are 2 teams in the top 6 within the region in driving distance to the game.

4. I have recently heard that the Jam has aquired television broadcast capability... Hmmm how about a low cost Pay per view feed and make the playoffs a 12 team tournament? add a little excitement? And the added bonus of sponsor value.

ABA All star game, Playoffs/Championships, Lets sound off on Jacksonville's plus' and negatives...

The Magician
02-01-2007, 10:04 AM
Hosting the ABA All-Star Game, Playoffs and Championship Tournament!

The Magician
02-01-2007, 11:19 AM
Hosting the ABA All-Star Game, Playoffs and Championship Tournament!

Maybe Jacksonville can host the 2008 All-Star game :)

The CEO has responded
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3421653

Good Call on Quebec Minor League Man! Let's just hope that the KEBS add an "English" version of their website, so a very, very, very large % of ABA Fans in the USA don't have to take French classes between now and then. http://www.quebecbasket.com/asp/accueil.asp

sportsguy12
02-01-2007, 12:14 PM
Maybe Jacksonville can host the 2008 All-Star game :)

The CEO has responded
http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3421653

then she could easily alter the power rankings to give her favs home field. This power rankings scam could turn very political, so watch in the final weeks of the season to see if Arkansas remains No. 1.