PDA

View Full Version : What are they waiting for......

padsfan2
01-29-2007, 08:11 PM
It's obvious the GBL is going to dump the Surf Dawgs-

They don't return phone calls regarding next years season ticket inquiries:mad:

The Surf Dawg webpage is the only one that hasn't been changed since last year:mad:

They're selling off all the players:mad:

They don't have an office or staff in San Diego:mad:

Come on they even euthanized Barbaro today

STOP LEADING THE SURF DAWGS FANS ON ANY LONGER, IF YOUR GOING TO EUTHANIZE THE DAWGS....PULL THE PLUG PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Pietsch Fan
01-30-2007, 11:10 AM
I feel your pain. I share your pain. The 2007 schedule was supposed to be released last week. That would have finally sealed our coffin. It makes no sense to drag this out any longer. Is there something going on that we don't know about?

Mary

DawgsBooster2
01-30-2007, 10:43 PM
Only the Shadow knows what's going on.

There must be *some* reason, I refuse to believe that it's just to pi$$ off fans... though it's ending up being a main by product.

padsfan2
01-31-2007, 01:56 AM
All I know is that I have 3 friend plus myself, that have been waiting as far back as November for someone to contact us regarding season ticket info. They may not be trying to PI$$ off the fans, but they are not doing anything to win them over either.

GBLCommish
01-31-2007, 02:14 AM
Hi Padsfan2,

As mentioned in previous posts, the dispute with San Diego State is now with the lawyers but I continue to not be optimistic at all for a satisfactory resolution due to the university's actions since the end of last season. I am as frustrated as everyone else with this situation as I believe that San Diego is a great market for a GBL team long term. We will get info out as soon as we are able to, but please give me a call if you would like to discuss in more detail. You can reach me at the number below.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

R.U. Kidding Me
01-31-2007, 09:19 AM
It seems to me that there is a little more than just San Diego's future up in the air. I have been reading this board for over a year now. Hearing what is and isn't happening, watching websites for inforrmation on San Diegos future, trying to learn more about the St. George team and another possible team in Colorado and even what happened after few on this board pulled at the strings of the GBL league officials.

San Diego can't really expect to play at SDSU, St. George seems to be the forgotten team, other teams seem to be doing better as far as marketing, the Winter League is not the draw they wanted it to be and players have talked about not coming back because of issues that were just not properly handled.

The GBL in my mind is a great thing. I have been to at least 80 games in various places in the GBL and have been impressed with most things at the team levels. It just seems that the League Office needs to work on a lot of things.

The websites definitely need to be kept up a lot better. I am thinging that some of it is on the league and some on the individual teams but they definitely need to keep the fans better informed.

The most obvious thing is that Kevin Outcaly believes in the GBL and is looking for input to make things better, so let's help him out.

Commish, please start with keeping the websites updated, links to teams existing and be honest with the goings on. It's obvious the league knows what is going on. Share that with us!

GBLCommish
01-31-2007, 02:28 PM
Hi RUKiddingMe,

I'll always anwers questions on this board and tell you guys, even anonymous posters, whatever I am able to about the GBL. I appreciate your support of the league and we are fortunate to have fans like yourself, and many others that tune in here, that are so passionate about their local teams.

Any minor league is a difficult business, and we are no different than most in that there are many challenges to meet to succeed. Some exceptional ones that we have dealt with over the last 3 years include a surprisingly poor sports market in Phoenix, a disappointing partnership with SDSU, and of course the learning curve of new people in a new venture and the tremendous amount of work to get a start-up league successfully off the ground. As you know, this industry has many robust teams and leagues such as the Atlantic League, Frontier League (best run in the business in my opinion), Northern League, Can-Am League, and much of the American Association but didn't have a new indy league start from scratch and survive since 1998 (Atlantic League) prior to the GBL in 2005 and then the ULB in 2006.

As for your specific questions and observations: I agree with you on SDSU, but we would love to be in the San Diego market long term and are working several angles on that. St. George is doing very well, and is tracking ahead of our most successful launch year market - Reno - at the same point in time in tickets and sponsors plus Dixie State has been great to work with. I'll check out the web issues and get those rectified. You are also right that the teams in Chico, Yuma, Reno, Long Beach, and Fullerton are all improved over Year 2, which were up from Year 1 as well. Grand Junction, CO will be an addition to the league for 2008 -- would have been this year if we could have solved San Diego. And you are correct that the league office needs to work on things, lots of things, we are always looking for help so if you are interested just give me a call!

The Winter League has been very successful with the players and sponsors and media, but lighter than anticipated on attendance during mid-week (bizarre cold front hasn't helped either) but it's been picking up and the remaining weekend openings should be strong. We've been pleasantly surprised with the level of players here and will be signing some very strong additions to the GBL -- we've already lost one to the Orioles last week and have the Devil Rays, Padres, Phillies, and Red Sox all interested in others. It's a much better system than a mass one-day cattle call tryout to really see players in action.

Thanks for the feedback in general on the websites, our website management company, Sedona, specializes in sports websites and does a number of professional teams. They develop the templates and provide an admin tool that each or our teams use to update the team specific sites. It doesn't get as much focus in the off-season as the teams have less news to report, but we'll take care of the obvious neglect.

Always feel free to contact me if you want to discuss in more detail than a posting on this board can handle.

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
GBL/AWL
925-226-2896

padsfan2
02-01-2007, 02:53 PM
I will be sooooooooo excited if I'm wrong regarding the Dawgs, but when Manager Terry Kennedy was let go, pitching coach Tim Blackwell is gone, and basically all the players has been sold, whos going to play?
Please Kevin prove me wrong.

GBLCommish
02-01-2007, 05:37 PM
Hi Padsfan2,

I'm with you, and wish I could prove you wrong but don't see anyway to get this resolved for '07 at this point. I know a lack of an official announcement is very frustrating and we're working through this mess to get it out.

Kevin

padsfan2
02-02-2007, 03:33 PM
Thanks Kevin,

I really appreciate your honesty, even though it probably bad news for Surf Dawg fans in San Diego.