PDA

View Full Version : Team Thread - Albuquerque Thunderbirds

Pages : [1] 2

TBirdCrazy
01-25-2007, 04:49 AM
Ok...so someone suggested we should have a thread for each team...I agree...so here is the Thunderbirds thread.

Allow me to vent while I am talking.....what the ^&*% are the Tbirds up to this year? I mean, last year we had a great year..better than anyone could imagine. this year...forget it. We have had so many add/waives, and so much instability it is incredible. I remember last year some journalist asking Coach Cooper how he will deal with the callups and such, and all the movement in the Dleague. Coop responded with soemthing to the effect of, we have been fortunate...we have not been hit as hard as most teams. I think that is a key to success in this league..being stable and not having too much movement. Sticking with your team and believing in it.

Ok, guess that philosophy did not work too well last year...oh wait...we won the Championship...seems something worked.

We have, this year, to date, added/waived more than 9 players. The year is less than half over and we have nearly a whole new team (except for Tony Bland, Joe Shipp, and Brandon Robinson). We even waived TJ Cummings...which was one of our "keeper" players.

The instability definitely shows....we have lost 9 of the last 12, and if the playoffs were to start today...we would not be a part of them....eventhough 4 of the 6 teams in the Conference will make it.

Well, Coach....heed your own advice...keep it stable...work with the team you ahve now...chemistry wins games...they will gel...but give them time

And NO...2 weeks is not long enough time.

On the lighter side of things...think there is any chance we could resign Tierre Brown, now that he has been released from his Euroteam. Granted he can not defend a 5 year old, but still, he could ball.

DakotaWizardsFan
01-25-2007, 06:55 PM
I'm not a Thunderbirds fan, but I can totally agree with what you've said. I cannot believe that the T-Birds are doing as bad as they are.

Chemistry won't come to a team if their roster is constantly changing. The Wizards' roster has been changed by 2 call-ups, a fight at practice, and a player going overseas, but other than that, Coach Joerger has kept our roster the same and it's showing in our record.

And I agree, two weeks is not much time to gel. I understand that is you'd start out maybe 0-5 like Idaho did, you might need to be a couple adjustments in your roster, but if you have players who seem to have a great deal of talent and experience, then you should keep them together and then if that doesn't work after maybe a month, then look to the player pool or a trade.

And why in the world did you guys release TJ Cummings?

TBirdCrazy
01-26-2007, 04:28 AM
Yeah...TJ Cummings gone within a 2 weeks...brother is a monster...did not understand it. My guess is there was a falling out with Coach. anyway, got off the phone today with my "contact" and they say that the Tbirds are in for more player movement. I could not believe my ears when they said this. Hwoever after I was told who it was, I kind of felt a little more relieved. Why? because the two players set to suit up as a Tbird this weekend are none other than:

Dijon Thompson - just back from a very brief stint with the Atlanta Hawks, and

Andreas Glyniadakas - Our top center from last year who was waived a few weeks ago by the Supersonics

Why you ask am I thrilled to have these guys back...cause truthfully, now we can have some chemistry. When these guys finally suit up for Albuquerque, there will be a total of 5 players on the roster from the Championship team of last year:

Tony Bland
Joe Shipp
Brandon Robinson
Andreas Glyniadakas
Dijon Thompson (i'm counting Dijon as one of them, eventhough he only played 1 month for them last year)

There is the starting 5, who have all played together for sometime. Chemistry will click now....i hope...or we are in for a long second half

Now where did I put Tierre Brown's number again?

skippy
01-26-2007, 04:38 AM
I hope they get some players soon, because they are pretty much unwatchable this season thus far, and the dwindling crowds show the fickle Albuquerque fans are losing interest.

It's a shame too, because with how bad UNM is this year, the T-birds should have able to get some fans if they would have had a decent team...I think the tickets cost WAY too much, is also a factor.

I honestly cannot see them sticking around for another year of a 90% empty Tingley coliseum.

abie10
01-27-2007, 01:21 AM
i am a season ticket holder for the tbirds...it sucks seeing them lose night after night...

if you are right and those two guys come back..that would be awesome...but how long will they stay?

Chances are bozeman will be gone soon too...someone will snatch him up...

one player that does need to go is Edwards...he is horrible...at least of late. they say he is being hampered by an ankle injury...more excuse to cut him i say..

TBirdCrazy
01-31-2007, 03:37 PM
I was a season ticket holder last year...too much going on this year...and the drive killed me (live 1.5 hours away). See the latest news below on Dijon and Andreas signing. Seeing as the Tbirds blog has not worked all season...I have started one at: http://www.tbirdsblog.com This is where I am psoting all the news I receive, as well as player tracking both past and present, and commentary on the season and games. Check it out.

Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis set to join the Tbirds
Reports are that the Albuquerque Thunderbirds are set to announce that they have signed Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis. They should be able to clear the paperwork by Wednesday so they can suit up in the next home game against the Dakota Wizards.

Dijon Thompson is rejoining the Tbirds after a short time with the Atlanta Hawks. He played in 6 games for the Hawks, with a total of 17 pts. His biggest game came on January 9th, when he totaled 7 pts in just 6 min. This will be the second time this season Dijon will be on the Tbirds roster. He was averaging 20.3 pts per game, in just 12 games with the Tbirds before he got the Call-up to Atlanta.

Andreas Glyniadakis will be rejoining the Tbirds after spending most of the season with the Seattle Supersonics. He played 12 games for the Supersonics, and was a key acquisition while Seattles big men were hurt during the early part of the season. Andreas was a part of the Tbirds Dleague Championship team last year, and looks to help Albuquerque get back into the playoffs, and successfully defend their championship

TBirdCrazy
01-31-2007, 03:39 PM
Also, my sources say that as bad as attendance has been for Albuquerque, they are staying put. The team that is looking at a possible relocation is Ft. Worth. Will let everyone know more details as they arise.

TBirdCrazy
01-31-2007, 03:44 PM
Just in....Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis have cleared their paperwork, and it is official...they have been signed by the Tbirds. the Tibirds have waived John Edwards and Eddy Fobbs to make room. More details to follow

DakotaWizardsFan
01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Just in....Dijon Thompson and Andreas Glyniadakis have cleared their paperwork, and it is official...they have been signed by the Tbirds. the Tibirds have waived John Edwards and Eddy Fobbs to make room. More details to follow

Ah.. do the Wizards always have bad luck? We lose Justin Williams and Renaldo Major heading into some games against top teams. The Fort Worth Flyers get JJ Barea soon before we played them. Now the T-Birds get Dijon and Andreas. Looks like your team will have a good chance tonight.

rams80
01-31-2007, 04:59 PM
God created an "edit" function for a reason...

DakotaWizardsFan
01-31-2007, 05:42 PM
God created an "edit" function for a reason...

Huh? Who needs to edit their post? Me? Looking back on my post, the grammar wasn't that great, but it's easy to understand what I said.

rams80
01-31-2007, 07:15 PM
Huh? Who needs to edit their post? Me? Looking back on my post, the grammar wasn't that great, but it's easy to understand what I said.

I was referring to TBird Crazy's 3 consecutive posts in the space of 7 minutes.

DakotaWizardsFan
01-31-2007, 07:38 PM
I was referring to TBird Crazy's 3 consecutive posts in the space of 7 minutes.

Oh, okay, that makes sense. Sorry.

USBasket_EricE
01-31-2007, 08:44 PM
I hope I don't have to use the edit button later tonight on this statement:
"The Wizards are going to snap their losing streak tonight in Albuquerque."

Well, I said it. If anyone notices that this post was edited later tonight, you'll probably know why. TBirdCrazy, make sure to fill us in about the game tonight, no matter what happens. I like to know what's going on when I can't be in attendance for these Wizards road games. If the Thunderbirds win, I'll be glad for you.

Not much of a trash talker here, unless I'm provoked!!

DakotaWizardsFan
01-31-2007, 10:02 PM
I hope I don't have to use the edit button later tonight on this statement:
"The Wizards are going to snap their losing streak tonight in Albuquerque."

Well, I said it. If anyone notices that this post was edited later tonight, you'll probably know why. TBirdCrazy, make sure to fill us in about the game tonight, no matter what happens. I like to know what's going on when I can't be in attendance for these Wizards road games. If the Thunderbirds win, I'll be glad for you.

Not much of a trash talker here, unless I'm provoked!!

And I hope I don't have to use the edit button, but I'm going to say:
""The Wizards are going to keep their losing streak going tonight in Albuquerque."

So one of us will be using it and one won't.

I think there's a good chance the Wizards could win, but I'm still not so sure we'll win.

The D-League live stats are way behind and I'm not listening to the radio so I won't know the outcome tonight most likely. :(

TBirdCrazy
02-01-2007, 05:00 AM
Forgive the 3 posts in a row...I was at work and my boss kept on coming in and out, kind of a rush thing...press the reply button, please forgive!

Anyway...even though Andreas and Dijon were back...the Tbirds could not stick with the Wiz last night. The Tbirds lost 91-83 before an announced crowd of 1120. Dijon Thompson picked up 2 quick fouls as he entered the game, and really never felt comfortable. He finished with 6 pts. Andreas looked a little better, but you could see he is still getting used to the system(kind of tough seeing he was only in town about 8 hours). He finished with 10 pts and 5 boards. I give them about 3 games to get into the swing of things.

Cedric Bozeman on the otherhand...what a monster - finished with 15 pts, 11 boards, 7 assists, 4 steals.

USBasket_EricE
02-01-2007, 12:51 PM
Wasn't the score was actually 98-91? Something was screwy with the webcast. I listened to it on the radio and that's what was reported. I checked one of the Albuquerque Newspapers and they also reported 98-91. But nothing was said about the team statistics so who knows if anyone will ever know!

abie10
02-05-2007, 02:41 PM
The Tbirds met their limit with the amount of moves they can make when they signed Andreas. They can't sign anymore players unless there is a callup or injury, which makes me wonder what they are going to do with Stephen Barber. I don't really think he fits anymore and actually I'm not sure they can even re-sign him anyway.

I think they have a good group now, hopefully it's not to late to put some kind of run together.

DakotaWizardsFan
02-05-2007, 06:39 PM
The Tbirds met their limit with the amount of moves they can make when they signed Andreas. They can't sign anymore players unless there is a callup or injury, which makes me wonder what they are going to do with Stephen Barber. I don't really think he fits anymore and actually I'm not sure they can even re-sign him anyway.

I think they have a good group now, hopefully it's not to late to put some kind of run together.

There's a limit on the amount of moves? I never knew that. What is the limit?

I doubt that the Wizards are near the limit. We've made some changes because of callups, players going overseas, and our fight at practice, but other than that, we haven't really made any moves.

abie10
02-06-2007, 12:17 AM
The person I talked to works the business end of the team, so he said his number might be off but said he believes it's 10. That does not count callups and injuries though.

DakotaWizardsFan
02-06-2007, 11:30 PM
The person I talked to works the business end of the team, so he said his number might be off but said he believes it's 10. That does not count callups and injuries though.

What about NBA assigned players? See, I'm not really sure what the Wizards number is then.

Here's who we've lost and why:

Justin Williams- Called up to the Sacramento Kings
Awvee Storey- Contract termined after fight at practice
Jerome Beasley- Left to play in Australia
Brandon Armstrong- Was waived after complaining about playing time
Geoff Husted- Left because his injury was still not healed
Martynas Andriuskevicius- Got recalled by the Chicago Bulls after the fight at practice
Jameel Pugh- Was waived

And sorry that I'm talking about the Wizards in the Thunderbirds thread.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-14-2007, 10:38 PM
Ok I am new here and I am the biggest T-Bird fan. I traveled to Ft.Worth last year and saw them win it all. back to the subject.

After Marcus Douthit left at the beginning of the year is when the slump began. They started losing and losing. After the acquisition of Bozeman, the team was firing on all cilinders. They started a win streak. After that. We lost Dijon to "Italy" and Bozeman to Belgium. Now the reason "Italy" is in quotes is because Dijon's agent thought he had a deal. That deal fell through and Dijon was left with no team to play for. Now that Bland is back and we have Hodge, we are back to our winning ways....

Just look at our game @ Colorado last night.

We were down 24 at halh and came back to win by 9 securing us for the last playoff spot in the West. We are 5-1 aganist Colorado this year and luckily we play them in the first round.

USBasket_EricE
04-14-2007, 10:53 PM
Welcome to the forum!

I should say congratulations to the Thunderbirds on clinching a play-off spot last night. I'm glad it was them and not the spoon-fed Los Angeles D-Fenders. I only got to see the T-Birds in person once this season when they were in Bismarck. As I recall, that was the worst officiated game of the season that I'd witnessed. The T-Birds didn't let the Wizards take the game easily either. I have a feeling if they meet up in the championship game, it will be one good game. I'll say good luck to the T-Birds in the post-season as they battle Colorado, especially Julius Hodge. He was kind enough to sign some cards for me before the New Year's Eve game in Bismarck while he was a 14er.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-14-2007, 10:56 PM
Hey thanks....

Yeah it was definitley a great game. I think we have finally found our winning ways again. We hopfully should start to get back on track. I wont be able to attend te game In Broomfield but if they get past the 14ers I will definitley be in Idaho and wherever the Championship game is.I am guessing you are a Dakota fan? lol

USBasket_EricE
04-14-2007, 11:20 PM
^Six years running!!! Back in 2002, the year I became a fan, I got to see the Wizards win the CBA championship in Rockford, Illinois, even though the game should have been played in Bismarck. But the Civic Center was being used for the World Curling Tournaments and the #1 overall Wizards had to go on the road. I'm so glad that the Wizards were able to clinch home court this year, because I know I wouldn't have been able to go see them on the road if they advanced to the championship round. That's great that you'll be able to attend some of the T-Birds play-off games if they advance! Nothing more exciting than cheering on your team when they're in a visiting city! I know the people in Rockford were upset when a hundred noisy Wizards fans were in their arena, outcheering everyone.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-14-2007, 11:28 PM
lol Yeah I will be driving from out here and maybe to CO and from their I might end up going to Idaho. I am not sure yet but I will for sure be wherever the championship is. We have never had trouble with the 14ers and whenever we play the Stampede we usually go into to overtime but now that they dont have Livingston we may go all the way....

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 05:06 PM
I'm glad that the T-Birds got the 3rd spot. I've liked them somewhat ever since they played here in Bismarck. And it was all because I got to meet Coach Cooper after the game. My only problem right now with the T-Birds is Julius Hodge. I loved the guy when he was at NC State, but when he came to Bismarck, he got away with a couple things and after each no-call, he'd flash a huge smile. Other than that, I like the team.

So out of the West, I'm rooting for the T-Birds, but of course, I've got to go with my Wizards overall.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 06:50 PM
It's nice to know coop is nice on the road as well. I hope we can pull of an upset or two and try to go back to back. It's definilet possible

abie10
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
people underestimate the tbirds. our record is decieving...

with DT, Hodge, and Shipp we have three players who are very well rounded and could play on ANY team in the league. Add Bland to run the floor and Glyniadakis in the middle and that is a solid lineup that can compete with anyone.

a lot of our losses were close...even to dakota and the other powers. some were by nine or so but those score are misleading because of the fouls at the end to try and mount a comeback. while the tbirds winning would be considered an "upset" i think there are many people (outside of tbird fans) that wouldn't be surprised to see it happen...

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 07:03 PM
well, WELL said. We have as D-League.com says A "3 headed monster" I mean the reason we lost so many games were injuries,call-ups, and players leaving overseas. We lost a lot of close ones....

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 07:44 PM
I agree with you guys, especially because of this format, but for other reasons as well. The Wizards don't have superstars, but a balanced team, while the T-Birds seem to have a very good starting line-up. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I could easily see the T-Birds beating Colorado. Idaho will be tough though, but they'd be tough for the Wizards too so I'm not saying that the T-Birds are bad. They are underestimated for sure.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 08:07 PM
Nice to know a non T-Bird fan relizes that we are underrated....Well we do have Duane Erwin,Brandon Robinson, and Chris Rodgers all coming off the bench. We are deep at the 3 and 4. I would love to see a Dakota-Albuquerque match-up for the championship...

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 08:16 PM
I'd love to see that match-up too. That's the matchup I most want. Would you actually come to Bismarck for the game? That's a long way. We had a couple of Fort Worth fans here though when the Flyers came to town.

I hope Chris Rodgers plays well (except against the Wizards). I'm an Arizona Wildcats fan so I like him for that reason.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 08:37 PM
Yeah I would be there.....most definitley....

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 08:45 PM
Yeah I would be there.....most definitley....

Wow, you really must be the #1 T-Birds fan then.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 09:15 PM
Yeah well I was in Ft.Worth when they won it last year too

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 09:17 PM
Yeah well I was in Ft.Worth when they won it last year too

That's definitely not as far as Bismarck of course, but that's still awesome. I bet it was strange being surrounded by tons of Flyers fans.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 09:19 PM
yeah well therir was only about 1000 people. The mascot sprayed us with silly string...lol

TBirdCrazy
11-26-2007, 02:52 PM
New season - new issues.

Through 2 games, the Tbirds are undefeated. However, if anyone went to the Tbird season opener on Friday November 23...I would love to hear your comments.

There were two (2) things that I witnessed at that game. This years team can not play defense and the players do not know how to move on offense.

I also witnessed that if it was not for Daniel Horton's incredible outside shooting, we would have lost the game, without question.

I truly believe that we got lucky on that game.

Now, the next game against the Mad Ants...Am not sure, as I missed the broadcast. I saw the box score and can say...Josh Gross is the real deal. Make no mistake about it, he will be one of the callups this year from our team (if we have any).

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-28-2007, 11:05 AM
101-98 L to Iowa.

Heart Breaker

TBirdCrazy
11-28-2007, 02:56 PM
Yes..that Iowa loss was a heartbreaker, but hey...those happen. Once again though...Josh Gross steps up to the plate and delivers.

By the way, is Horton injured...he has not played in the last 2 games. Either Injury, or beef with Coach.

TBirdCrazy
11-29-2007, 01:50 AM
Suns Send Alando Tucker to Albuquerque Thunderbirds

PHOENIX, Nov. 28 (AP) -- Alando Tucker, the 29th overall pick in the first round of the 2007 NBA draft, was assigned to the Albuquerque Thunderbirds of the NBA Development League by the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday.

Tucker, the Big Ten player of the year last season at Wisconsin, played in two of Phoenix's first 14 games and averaged six points and eight minutes.

The move reduced the Suns' roster to 12. Coach Mike D'Antoni said Tucker would be recalled if the Suns had a player injured for an extended period.

"It's the best thing for him,'' D'Antoni said of Tucker's demotion. "He needs to improve his shooting ... to have a chance. He wants to show he can play.''

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-01-2007, 11:44 AM
Sweet! ^^^

TBirdCrazy
12-08-2007, 02:41 PM
After seeing last night's game(Dec 7th against Colorado), I am embarrassed to even be calling myself a Tbird's fan. I am still questioning if the Tbird's were actually in the building last night, or was that some pickup game players they saw at the park down the road. Not even the return of Michael Cooper (sitting on the sidelines) could save this team from the "shalacking" it received from the 14ers. The Tbirds were down by 17 at the half, and by the end of the 3rd quarter, they were down 33. Boy, whatever Coach Ruland said in the lockerroom must have really sunk in.

Observations last night concluded my previous thoughts that I think ABQ's destiny is to win with poor shooters. Every year we seem to pick the gems...the ones who can't shoot worth a (fill in the blank). Last night was no different...shooting around 37% from the field and get this....57% from the charity strip. That is downright pathetic. Another observation...we can not play offense, can not play defense, and do not communicate on the court.

I am a season ticket holder, and an avid basketball nut, but I left my "great seats" on the floor and decided to go to the "nose bleed" seats. Boy, it was almost comical. To see how out of sink this team is is beyond belief. And Ruland does not do much to assist. And don't even get me started on the "player-coach" Darvin Ham. I had enough by the end of the 3rd quarter, that I left, which I have never done at any basketball game, no matter how bad it was.

Hopefully for the Tbirds team, fans, and my sanity, this game was just a fluke. I am tempted to not go to the game tonight, cause I am not sure if I will get my monies worth...but my 6 year old son is going...and he loves the games, so will go. Hopefully I don't hear him say "Daddy, can we go home now, I'm bored"

abie10
12-08-2007, 08:33 PM
It was a horrible game. I was actually impressed by Ham in the opening minutes of the game. He played with intensity...but that soon died. Tucker did nothing for me either...he looks to be playing with a chip on his shoulder...like he is better than everyone else, instead of using his time to be productive and help the team.

I overheard Bregman (local owner) say that tucker will be sent up next week and Strawberry will be sent down...he also said that Phoenix is high on Ruland saying he is perfect for them.

Ruland says we are a running team...I have yet to see that from this team. They play like a group of pickup players...quick, low percentage shots. Abdul Mills dribbles all over the court like he is the only player out there...a lot of things need to change.

I also was embarrassed last night...I didn't leave, but really felt like it.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-10-2007, 09:39 AM
Embarassing. Thats all I have to say. Bring back Coop....Bring back Coop!

Hell if I'm Billy Winder right now you need to pick up your phone and call Dijon, call Julius, call Tony....We suck right now!

abie10
12-10-2007, 01:37 PM
Those guys are all over seas right now...there is no way they are coming back for a smaller contract...

TBirdCrazy
12-10-2007, 04:34 PM
RAMBLINGS!

All those guys would be great...but their time to "get the call up" is over...they are making it overseas and "feeding their family."

I will tell you who I am impressed with...Josh Gross. When we need intensity, he steps up. He kind of reminds me of Brandon Robinson, from the past 2 years, only with an offensive game. Last few games I have been impressed with Tucker's offensive skills, however, I agree...he seems to be playing with a chip.

I am not sure why Jason Smith is even in the league. He is a 7 footer who has no strength, and can not block a shot. I think he will be booted from the team soon, truthfully. If anyone saw how Ruland chewed him out repeatedly the last few games, they will probably agree.

The best part of the last game...I was sitting near the "heckler" who was jaw-jabbing with Elton Brown all game, and Dickens. Man was that fun. Can't wait for the next game to do the same(of course I am a trash talker when I get on the court myself).

I look foward to seeing Strawberry play

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-10-2007, 11:30 PM
That was hilarious! I was right in front of that guy. Which one are you??

Strawberry's assigned?

abie10
12-11-2007, 12:46 AM
Strawberry will be down sometime soon...within a week...Tucker is going back up really soon. Where was the heckler sitting?

TBirdCrazy
12-12-2007, 07:10 PM
Tbirds fan - I was sitting in the same row, seat right next to him. Was awesome.

Abie - section F10 - risers 2nd row , right by the home basket.

I have to say, that made the game.

Strawberry will be assigned soon, yes, and hopefully he will not have a chip on his shoulder. Tucker is good but he needs to lose the attitude. Kind of reminds me of a JR Smith - great talent, just immature.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-12-2007, 10:45 PM
I was sitting courtside.

Do you have a link to confirm these reports?

abie10
12-12-2007, 11:25 PM
nope...no link. i was sitting right behind a guy that Bregman was talking to...

TBirdCrazy
12-17-2007, 02:39 PM
At the game this weekend, it was confirmed by Bregman...Tucker is gone this week. A Suns scout was at Saturday's game to evaluate Alando's progress. Seems pretty inevitable that he is going up. Also confirmed that Strawberry is headed down when Alando goes back up.

Saturday's game thoughts - we played a much better game. We moved on offense, played better defense, and talked to each other. I actually heard them calling out to one another on screens and such...a breakthrough, yes.

It was announced that Billy Widner will be leaving the team for greener pastures. He was hired by the Spurs organization to take over as president of the Austin Toros. Good for him.

TBirdCrazy
12-18-2007, 05:21 PM
It's official:

The Phoenix Suns have assigned rookie guard D.J. Strawberry to the Albuquerque Thunderbirds of the NBA Development League, it was announced today by Suns President of Basketball Operations and General Manager Steve Kerr. The Suns also recalled rookie forward Alando Tucker from the Thunderbirds for last night’s victory over the Spurs in San Antonio.

Strawberry was selected by Phoenix with the 59th overall pick in the second round of the 2007 NBA Draft. The Maryland product has appeared in six games with the Suns and owns averages of 2.0 points, 0.7 rebounds and 0.5 assists in 6.2 minutes.

Phoenix recalled Tucker Monday on the same day he was named the D-League’s Performer of the Week after leading the Thunderbirds to two victories while averaging 36.0 points and 6.5 rebounds and shooting 51.9 percent (27-of-52) from the field, including 6-of-10 from three-point range. Tucker scored a D-League season-high tying 40 points in an Albuquerque victory over the Bakersfield Jam on Friday. The Wisconsin product was originally assigned to the Thunderbirds on Nov. 28 and averaged 28.2 points and 7.0 rebounds in five games with Albuquerque.

Phoenix (18-7) resumes play Wednesday night at 7:30 p.m., taking on the Dallas Mavericks (17-9) at AmericanAirlines Center on ESPN. The game can also be seen on My45 and heard on Sports 620 KTAR.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-19-2007, 12:12 PM
Why did Billy want to leave exactly? So he would have the hook-up with the Spurs if they ever had an opening I'm assuming....? Thats ok though, personally I didnt really like Billy. But something is really getting on my nerves lately....James Smith and Abdul Mills. Smith sucks so much. Sweet! He can make a jumper Woo-Hoo! The only reason we have him on our team is because our team lacks tremendous size...one problem. He cant post up and cannot rebound. Waive him. Please. Mills is alright. I think there are better players out there in the Free Agent pool. What about Brandon Wallace just waived by the Celtics? Unlinkely but theres always TJ Cummings...What ever happend to him?

Thats all I have to say.

TBirdCrazy
12-19-2007, 04:53 PM
1TbirdsFan - I agree with you on the Jason Smith issue (read my previous post )
I am not sure why Jason Smith is even in the league. He is a 7 footer who has no strength, and can not block a shot. I think he will be booted from the team soon, truthfully. If anyone saw how Ruland chewed him out repeatedly the last few games, they will probably agree.
As far as Billy - I think because of the Spurs connection, and the possible callup. Also, I truthfully feel that he wanted to move back to Texas (he worked for the Mavs before Tbirds) and I am also guessing more money. I like Billy, but i think we need a more personable President. Billy seemed a little too cut and dry. I met the new President at the last game (forgot his name - forgive me). He seems more outgoing, so hopefully that will help.

Abdul Mills - he needs to go. He dribbles the damn ball too much. If you notice from game to game, his minutes are dwindling. It is just a matter of time before he is gone.

As far as Brandon Wallace - I thought about the same thing today, but realistically, Wallace will most likely be picked up by another NBA team (chime in here Wizards). Boston just waived him so they did not have to pay him. He may end up in the Dleague (which is where he should go) but usually another NBA team picks up the players in these situations.

You reference TJ Cummings - well he is playing is Korea this year, so I think that is out of the question.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Yeah the only problem is, is that each D-League team is only allowed 9 moves per season. I did not know this until a few weeks ago when I was reading up. Who made up this rule? I think this is a little crazy. I do admit that in some of the past few seasons there have been to many moves but 9 seems like to little. This is a development league...we need to test drive players to see if the can "develop".

Also, Darvin Ham isnt doing much for me either. No, I would not waive him but for #3 overall, 7PPG or whatever it is, isnt going to cut it.

I needed to vent because thus far, I am very dissapointed. Maybe it is because we have no returning players. On the bright side, I cant wait to see Strawberry play. And, Gross is the only one leaving a good impression on me.

What happend with Horton? Beef with coach?

TBirdCrazy
12-20-2007, 05:56 PM
Gross has been, by far (in my eyes) the leader of this team. His minutes have become less and less, but I am still impressed. Horton - been getting more and more minutes (with Abdul getting less - Thank you). With Horton it was either an injury, or beef with coach that has settled.

As for Ham - I hear you (again read my past posts). I believe he was brought in strictly as a player/coach, however, I have not seen much of either. He does not play with the intensity of a leader, and i have yet to see him "coach" on or off the court.

I really do feel that the team is going to make some changes very soon. And as i said in the previous post....I think Jason Smith will be the first to go. He already had his ticket punched on opening night. Heck, I'll even buy his ticket home.

skippy
12-20-2007, 06:04 PM
There will be a HUGE announcement after the holidays re: basketball in Albuquerque. I think you will see at that time as to why Widner left.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-20-2007, 11:32 PM
Uh Oh. Are we moving?

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 12:48 AM
Seems the only news would be moving or being sold to Global Entertainment, in which case they would still be moving to Rio Rancho.

Wait, is that downtown arena still in the works? Funny, reading the city studies and proposals, I noticed none of them even mentioned basketball -- just hockey and AF2.

skippy
12-21-2007, 01:41 AM
It may be news totally unrelated to the D-league.

abie10
12-21-2007, 02:28 AM
We're getting an ABA team??? YES!!!!!!! FINALLY!

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 02:38 AM
It may be news totally unrelated to the D-league.The Silverados are moving into the Santa Ana Star Center next season!

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 12:12 PM
Seriously? We have an ABA team and D-League team now or what?

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 12:16 PM
Seriously? We have an ABA team and D-League team now or what?I wouldn't call that "HUGE" news.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 12:32 PM
Well is this true or just speculation?

ChumpDumper
12-21-2007, 12:37 PM
I thought it was apparent I have no idea what the announcement is. The suspense is -- well, it's not exactly killing me but anything is possible with SW Basketball and minor league basketball in general.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 12:40 PM
I havent heard anything either. Seems like we would have heard a little something more if an ABA team was moving here. I just hope the T-Birds dont move. If you catch my drift, Lobo basketball isnt really the same thing. But it is getting better at least.

abie10
12-21-2007, 01:09 PM
Anyone wanna make some assumptions? Here is my list:

-Ruland out, Coop back in.
-Phoenix Suns buy Thunderbirds and take over operations
-Thunderbirds move to Rio Rancho
-Thunderbirds sold to Global Entertainment and move next season

I'll post more as I think of em...lol

btw...the ABA team was a joke...there are already too many high school teams in albuquerque.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 01:26 PM
lol I assumed it was a joke lol.
1. We all Wish
2. I hope so
3. No thanks but it might happen
4. Nooo :(

jjbballfan
12-21-2007, 02:43 PM
would it really be considered a move? its the same metro area..... I am hoping that Southwest Basketball did sell the team and that the new owner cares a little bit more then seeing how cheaply you can run a team..... That would leave SWB with Tulsa and soon to be announced Reno.....

skippy
12-21-2007, 04:41 PM
Think about the different places around the metro area that would have the money to build an arena, without requiring bonds, or state and local assistance. Also think about what level of b-ball would require a new arena.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 05:56 PM
CBA in Santa Fe?

TBirdCrazy
12-21-2007, 06:21 PM
skippy: how do you know the huge news? And who is your source. Seems a little skeptical, that is all. Rumors are abound in forums all over the net...any facts to back up your statement?

My only guess is that there will be a new arena. I talked with the organization a few months before the season, and they said that they were still working on the new arena. They figured within 2 years they would move into it. I was also concerned about them moving the Tbirds - however, I was reassured that ABQ actually does make money, even though it may not seem like it does. Of all the Southwest basketball teams (have dwindled now, but) we have made the most.

Another guess, which I jsut thought of was, the PHX has bought the team (which was mentioned previously). This would make sense also, seeing as PHX is so close. Garner that with the fact that the Suns organization loves Ruland as a coach, and their scouts are here at games all the time. It's a match made in heaven.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-21-2007, 07:08 PM
They love Ruland? Why?

abie10
12-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Ruland's style is a spot on match for the style of play Phoenix perfers.

I think we need to give ruland a chance here...we are what...8 games in? 12 players that have never played with each other before? Yes they are experienced, but he has to take these guys and form them to his system.

Ruland has to deal with ego's...players that have played professionally overseas, and one that has been in the NBA. It's not an easy task, but I think he will be ok.

As far as moving to Rio Rancho...it might be the same "metro" area, but it's a different world all together...and with traffic in Albuquerque nowadays, it's a 45 minute drive to get there.

Someone alluded to what type of level of basketball would require a new arena...there is only one level...NBA. I don't think that would be the case would it? But how sweet would that be :)

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-22-2007, 04:34 PM
I think I would cry if we got an NBA team.

TBirdCrazy
12-22-2007, 06:22 PM
We would never get an NBA team. For one, we do not have enough support. Two, there is no expansion set for the NBA (as well as there shouldn't be). However, with a new arena, there has been whispers of a WNBA team coming to town, as well as the aforementioned AFL2. Couple that with a Dleague team, and a possible lure of the Scorpions coming back to ABQ, and that should be good enough for an arena, I would think.

Ruland, I am not high on him either, but we do need to give him a chance. If PHX likes him, he must be doing something right. And PHX knows how to build a team.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-23-2007, 07:57 PM
PHX knows there stuff.....Colangelo does anyways. Gone. Look at Kerr's moves.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2007, 08:29 PM
A Native tribe is building a 20,000 seat arena next to a casino and wants an NBA team as a tenant.

Hooray!

:rolleyes:

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-23-2007, 10:26 PM
In New Mexico?

Sounds like sarcasm.

ChumpDumper
12-23-2007, 10:54 PM
Hence the smiley.

The clues don't make a lot of sense, so my guess doesn't either,

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-23-2007, 11:00 PM
I wish you were right. This is all speculation. I think I'll just wait for the announcement.

skippy
12-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Chump Dumper is almost correct.

Except for the 20,000 part and the NBA.

How big is the Mohegan Sun?

abie10
12-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Let's look at this then. I think the Mohegan Sun holds 10000 or so?

There are only a couple tribes in New Mexico that could sustain this...especially ones in relation to Albuquerque.

- Sky City could possibly do it, but even if they could, they are too far from Albuquerque. But they have been VERY involved in the basketball scene sponsoring the NBA games that come as well as a D-II Fest this past november.

- Laguna could do it. I don't know if building a big arena near Route 66 casino is viable for something like this, but they do have the money to do it.

- Isleta can obviously do it. They are in a good location for it.

- Santa Ana has the money and a decent location. Still a little far out of Albuquerque if you ask me.

- Sandia is the best option for this. They have a ton of money, a ton of unused land, and they best location for this.

Does a WNBA team NEED a new arena though? I'm not so sure they do. However, building a new arena would be a good thing, just not specifically for the WNBA.

ChumpDumper
12-24-2007, 03:48 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think a WNBA team in that market would really call for much more than the Rio Rancho arena. If it's the Isleta Casino, they might invite the Thunderbirds there for the WNBA offseason.

abie10
12-24-2007, 05:04 PM
I could be wrong, but I don't think a WNBA team in that market would really call for much more than the Rio Rancho arena. If it's the Isleta Casino, they might invite the Thunderbirds there for the WNBA offseason.

I read up some archives from the past in our area. They said the arena (6,500 seats) is small for WNBA "standards." WNBA looks for about 10,000. Isleta is a big sponsor for the Thunderbirds...that would be a good match and just about year-round tenants for the new arena.

Pounder
12-27-2007, 02:18 PM
Hmmm... thinking a city can get WNBA because the local college team draws well?

I've heard that one before. Ask why the Sun are not in Hartford.

Is Rio Rancho kind of a swank suburb? Working class? Sounds like a normal "new" suburb to me. I have my doubts that any ABQ arena would bring the Scorpions back because they might feel they're among their target market. If you want to try for a competing league, then I want a seat in the boardrooms and backrooms, for THAT would be prime entertainment.

I can't shake this feeling that a new arena isn't that good an idea there.

abie10
01-15-2008, 04:36 PM
Was watching the game on TV...when did we sign Kevin Pittsnogle? Must have been in the past couple days seeing that he doesn't have a name on his jersey yet.

He looks a little big to me...maybe a little out of shape...

Still a good pickup? Or is he just glorified cause of his last year in college?

ChumpDumper
01-15-2008, 04:44 PM
He was picked up by Albuquerque while he was driving out of Austin after being waived. He came back and played his best game of the season to help give the Toros their first home loss.

He looks like he finally might be finding NBA 3-point range, But until he gets into shape I wouldn't count on his doing much else.:redface:

abie10
01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
I know ... he looked huge...he's already a big guy...but he needs to whip it up quick...

Pounder
01-16-2008, 09:53 AM
Pittsnoggle looked pretty lost yesterday.

Of course, Joe Wolf actually coaches, and his players LOOK coached. That's saying something at this level.

Have to say, however, that I find Jeff Ruland's facial expressions endlessly entertaining. I swear he's the uncle of a neighbor I used to have. ;)

#1 T-Birds Fan
01-27-2008, 05:06 PM
Hey T-Bird fans I read in the paper today that we are bringing Jamaal Thomas back. Remember him form last year? High flyer, awesome dunker, anyways, It also said the player who was going to be waived in order to acquire him had yet to be named. Who do you think it is?

I'm thinking it's Serge Agonou (sp), but I'm not to sure because he is a big part of ticket sales....him or Abdul Mills... Any ideas?

TBirdCrazy
01-28-2008, 04:15 PM
My guess would have to be Mills. He is injured right now, with knee problems. Serge is not going anywhere...he is a crowd favorite, and a local prodigy from Rio Rancho. My guess after Mills...Corie Underwood - he has not been getting the plays down, and he has played aweful.

However, which paper did you read this in...I just talked with the owner this Saturday at the game, and he did not mention anything of the sort.

abie10
01-28-2008, 07:08 PM
From the Journal:

NOTE: Albuquerque will be adding a new player next week in wing Jamaal Thomas, who was with the Thunderbirds at the start of last season before being traded to Anaheim. Ruland did not say who would be released to make room on the roster.

#1 T-Birds Fan
01-29-2008, 11:25 AM
Thats exactly what I read. Underwood didnt play that bad aganist the Skyforce. He was winning the battle with Jamareo Davidson. Serge isnt that great though... I love his hustle though

abie10
01-29-2008, 12:40 PM
From D-League.com
January 28: ALBUQUERQUE
Acquired G/F Jamaal Thomas. Waived F Serge Angounou.

Next game will be hell to me...I sit next to "Coach T." He was a HEAVY support of Serge...he was even Serge's "Professional Advisor." He is going to be heartbroken and pissed off...

Regardless, it's great to have Thomas back...he is a very exciting player.

#1 T-Birds Fan
01-29-2008, 09:02 PM
I knew it ;)

I will miss Serge since he was a great hustle player and did the dirty work. Thomas is a great acquisiton for us though. Now we just need someone who can consistantly hit the 3 and I believe then we have a strong team.

Next Move: Acquired G Mike Gansey. Waived G Elijah Ingram

After: Acquired G Will Conroy. Waived G Abdul Mills

If only if only.

abie10
02-22-2008, 02:51 AM
More action from the T-Birds...via the Journal

Albuquerque's starting guards of Ali Berdiel and Daniel Horton have left the team in search of greener pastures, with Berdiel returning to his native Puerto Rico and Horton looking to go to a professional league in France. Horton's new team has yet to buy out his contract, however, and he may yet return to the Thunderbirds, said assistant coach John Coffino.
But Horton won't be available this weekend as Albuquerque faces Rio Grande Valley in games tonight and Saturday.
Help is on the way in the form of guards Daryl "Majik" Dorsey and rookie Dwight Brewington. Their availability for this weekend, however is in question.
"Hopefully, one of them will be ready for (tonight)," Coffino said.
The Thunderbirds also will be without Elijah Ingram. He asked for his release before the team's last road trip because of playing time issues, but every time he seemed to make some headway on the court, he would be nagged by injuries or illness off of it. Although he left the team some time ago, Ingram couldn't be officially released until the team signed another rookie, which is what makes Brewington addition important.

ChumpDumper
02-22-2008, 03:04 AM
I'm glad Majic found another team.

skippy
02-24-2008, 04:06 PM
According to the paper, after the game, Ruland grabbed the PA mic and apologized the crowd for the awful performance.

He should have been doing that after every game this year.

Very erratic and disappointing performances, I'm starting to lose interest in this.

#1 T-Birds Fan
02-24-2008, 05:47 PM
I lost intrest a few games ago. I will still come to the games but It's hard not to root for the opposing team.

ChumpDumper
02-24-2008, 05:57 PM
We might head up there to see the Toros play in a couple of weeks. Maybe you guys could tell me something about the handicapped seating. Are the sections on the same level as the concourse where folks walk in front of you all the time, blocking the view?

abie10
02-24-2008, 06:10 PM
You know what...I think it is. Concourse level. You should let me know when your coming, I have a couple tickets from games that I missed that I can trade in. You'll be sitting on the floor...much better seats.

Send me an email abelicio @ gmail.com

ChumpDumper
02-24-2008, 06:18 PM
Thanks! I'll let you know when I finalize the plans. It will probably one of the games between March 11 and 14 when the Toros are there all week.

abie10
02-24-2008, 06:21 PM
I'll be waiting...

jjbballfan
02-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Has there been any updates or new rumors about this franchise being sold or moving to a downtown arena that may be built soon or moving to the burbs because I have watched web-cast and I have to say that where they play is the least fan friendly place I have ever seen...... It reminded me of playing in an old YMCA building..... I think Albuquerque has a lot of promise but I think the team needs to find local owners and be placed in a better facility.

TBirdCrazy
02-27-2008, 06:03 PM
I do not think this team is getting sold. Attendance is up, and no indications from ownership towards that fact.

The proposed downtown arena is still waiting for bank approval of funds. The word is that all parties involved do not see any trouble with it getting approved.

The lease for Tingley is up this year, so hopefully the team can move to another arena, at least temporary until the downtown one is built.

I agree, Tingley Coliseum was meant for Rodeos and horse shows, not Basketball.

TBirdCrazy
02-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Seems this team is just getting worse. It is almost embarrassing.

Well, good news...Today we sign an old friend...Julius Hodge. That's right! Pending his passing a physical, he will be with the team and playing on Sunday against Iowa.

I think it is a great addition, however, I still think it is too little too late.

abie10
02-29-2008, 02:14 PM
it might be a little to late...but Hodge will bring some energy to this team...I hated him with colorado, but I loved him with us...lol

skippy
02-29-2008, 06:11 PM
Anybody at last night's game? 2-28

On the channel 13 news, it looked like there was literally 12 people at the game!

Bring back, Coop, or...even Colson or Ellenberger!

Can't fault the new guys, they are trying, but from what I've seen it's offensively incohesive and the team just seems to be playing out the string.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-01-2008, 12:20 PM
Julius! My man I was shocked to see him at last nights game. It may be to late but Julius will definitley push for a turnaround.

TBirdCrazy
03-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Julius had a great debut (again) in yesterday's game against Iowa. We held our own with perhaps the hottest team right now (at least talent wise). Cook from Miami and simply amazing, and the rest of the Energy are so big, it is hard to guard them.

Help is on the way for us. Today should be the day that a trade with Austin should be finalized. Also, we are getting 2 really good players (guards) very soon.

Keep a lookout...we are going to make our playoff push, and these two will help us do just that.

DakotaWiz
03-03-2008, 01:34 PM
Austin making more moves?

skippy
03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
Last night on 13 news, they showed T-birds highlights for 15 secs or so.

5 seconds of which were showing that Steve Alford was at the game eating some cotton candy.

This team really has fallen on hard times as far public perception goes.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Who is going where in the trade with Austin?

TBirdCrazy
03-05-2008, 03:47 PM
#1 Tbirds fan....seems there is a snag in the trade so far...it is a gross mess!

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Who was it involving??

TBirdCrazy
03-05-2008, 07:22 PM
word on the street, or so my sports guys in the media are saying: Josh Gross for Cheyne Gadson. Also, look for more major changes to come to this team in the very near future. More player movement that is!

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-05-2008, 08:54 PM
Our best player traded huh? Why?

I dont get Ruland's ethics. YES this team needs a trade. NO we should not trade our ONLY D-League all-star. You realize Colorado had 4 or 5 All_Stars. We can get plenty of talent from the FA pool. We found Julius didnt we?

TBirdCrazy
03-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Our best player traded huh? Why?

I dont get Ruland's ethics. YES this team needs a trade. NO we should not trade our ONLY D-League all-star. You realize Colorado had 4 or 5 All_Stars. We can get plenty of talent from the FA pool. We found Julius didnt we?

Actually, 2 points:

1. Gross was not an all-star - just in the shootout
2. Julius was plucked from Australia by us calling him and persuading him to come back to play for us

Cheyne Gadson and Gross are virtually the same. If you have been to the last few games, you could probably see this coming. Gross and coach have not been "the nicest" to each other. Much bickering on the floor. Josh is not a great defender, either. He is a great player, don't get me wrong, but mainly offensive.

abie10
03-05-2008, 10:19 PM
Best player? Yes he is good...but he plays NO defense...we can find a better defender than him...which is what gets him in trouble.

I think he might have an attitude problem as well. The coaches talked about players not trying and not being good teammates. I think he is one. I'd rather have 9 cohesive guys with no all stars than have one that has his own agenda.

abie10
03-05-2008, 10:20 PM
fyi: Hodge is our best player now :)

if pittsnoggle would play some defense, he'd be one of the best players in the league if you ask me ...

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-05-2008, 11:10 PM
fyi: Hodge is our best player now :)

if pittsnoggle would play some defense, he'd be one of the best players in the league if you ask me ...

Very true, Hodge is the man :-D

Pittsnogle keeps getting heavier and heavier. He has a deadly outside shot but no inside game for a 6'9" dude anyways. If he can get in shape, I agree he can be deadly... As a 3 man in a 5's body though. Not a great rebounder.

skippy
03-05-2008, 11:54 PM
Trade 'em all. : )

Does it appear to anyone else that Ruland has a problem getting along with the players? Other than Gross, I mean?

bdyer
03-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Ian Mahinmi was suited up but didn't play due to a sore back he suffered after falling flat on it after a hard Terrence Crawford foul Saturday.

Cheyne Gadson played. I don't understand why the Toros trade one of their point guards for a shooting guard when there's no guarantee Andre Barrett will come back.

Kenton Paulino did not play and was not with the team after playing 20 minutes on Saturday. Make of that what you will.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-06-2008, 10:27 AM
I guess we do need a PG. Magik is an upgrade over Mills but having Magik off the bench will bolster our second unit

bdyer
03-06-2008, 05:13 PM
Any news on the alleged trade?

I personally don't see much reason for Austin to trade unless they were somehow getting one of your best players like Gross or Hodge. I think they could just pick up Curtis Stinson off waivers if he falls to them -- of course the T-Birds could do the same, and probably should.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-06-2008, 05:55 PM
Once I saw Stintson was waived I hoped he could find a new home in Albuquerque. Any word on why they waived him?

bdyer
03-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Once I saw Stintson was waived I hoped he could find a new home in Albuquerque. Any word on why they waived him?The Celtics re-assigned Gabe Pruitt to the Flash, so they were pretty guard-heavy and had to waive someone to get the roster down to 12. He had only been there since February 1.

bdyer
03-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Any news on the alleged trade?

I personally don't see much reason for Austin to trade unless they were somehow getting one of your best players like Gross or Hodge. I think they could just pick up Curtis Stinson off waivers if he falls to them -- of course the T-Birds could do the same, and probably should.Looks like the Toros took my advice. :infun:

http://www.nba.com/dleague/austin/roster/

TBirdCrazy
03-07-2008, 06:00 PM
Yeah, I noticed Toros taking Stinson...maybe that is why the trade never went through. I will have to get more information on it. Stay tuned!

TBirdCrazy
03-11-2008, 08:32 AM
Ok...no trade between Austin and ABQ...but how about this one. Just in, Josh Gross traded to Iowa for Will Conroy. I think that is a fantastic trade. Happened Monday, late. Conroy is just an absolute talent...glad we got someone for Gross. He is such a whiner - always arguing with Coach.

Also, as hinted in my previous posts...Alando Tucker being assigned to ABQ and will be ready for Thursday's matchup against Austin.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-11-2008, 09:45 AM
Beautiful trade.... I will miss Gross he was an outstanding athlete but your right he had more complaining then playing going on. Conroy is going to be the leader of this team. We have a pretty solid line up now if you ask me....
PG-Conroy
SG-Hodge
SF-Tucker
PF-Ham
C-Pittsnogle
6th Man- Jamaal Thomas!

Now that we have Conroy I see either Mills or Magik getting waived.... Probably Mills for a true C or Swigman.

Thanks for the update!

abie10
03-11-2008, 02:57 PM
The journal also said there was more movement on the way...

TBirdCrazy
03-11-2008, 06:09 PM
T Bird Fan -

Actually, I am not so sure Mills or Majik will get waived. Mills can play the 2 while Dorsey is in, also, Hodge plays the 2. So we have a small lineup, but one that can run and gun. It will be exciting.

I think Underwood is gone, personally. He has played sparing minutes, and really was not producing all that well anyway. For being his size, he does not play defense well.

Again, I hope this is not "too little too late." At least it will be a fun run the rest of the way.

I also heard rumors of Strawberry getting assigned, but now with the Shaq trade, not sure if that will happen, seeing as DJ has gotten some minutes in the Suns games. Wouldn't that be nice, hey?

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-11-2008, 08:42 PM
That would be very nice but highly doubtful... Hope the game goes well tonight. Hopefully you two can fill me in later tonight, as for I cannot make it, idk if you all know, but I am only 15 but an avid fan. I cant come tonight because of HW but Thursday and Friday I plan to be there.

Underwood is gone, yes but hopefully for a true post player... We need one desperetly.

thereal#1tbirdfan"scoops"
03-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Beautiful trade.... I will miss Gross he was an outstanding athlete but your right he had more complaining then playing going on. Conroy is going to be the leader of this team. We have a pretty solid line up now if you ask me....
PG-Conroy
SG-Hodge
SF-Tucker
PF-Ham
C-Pittsnogle
6th Man- Jamaal Thomas!

Now that we have Conroy I see either Mills or Magik getting waived.... Probably Mills for a true C or Swigman.

Thanks for the update!

This was the best trade any team has made all year... Conway is AMAZING AND I WOULDN'T WRAG ON RULAND....he and coffino make a great coaching team...hopefully they will stay for the next coupple seasons...

TBirdCrazy
03-13-2008, 07:03 PM
This is, by far, the best trade of the Dleague season. Conroy is an absolute true leader. People were asking me at the last game, who is this new guy we have. I said, Will Conroy...watch him, he is the best player, hands down, on our team, and perhaps the Dleague right now. I said, you watch, you will see tonight (his first game). Sure enough...he was barking at the players, telling them where to go, and the guy was in town about 24 hours. He is a true leader, and absolute baller.

Add to the mix that Tucker is supposed to suit up tonight (not confirmed yet as he was supposed to be with us about 3 weeks ago) and I think we may make a playoff push.

Ruland and 'The Mob Boss' are great coaches. They know talent, they just can't acquire it (those are Ruland's words).

By the way, just a little tid bit I over heard on Tuesday...we are still trying to acquire Cheyne Gadson from Austin. Will keep you posted.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-13-2008, 07:46 PM
Still? Hmm thats suprising... Who would we give up? (Please dont say Julius)

Alright long trip ahead... See you at Tingley!

03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
hey who are you guys? where yall sit? oh ya baby alando is playing tomorrow night

03-14-2008, 12:27 AM
The tbirds don't need stinston....... we will be legit when tuck suits up.....Coffino and Ruland are master minds... lets make a run and get into the playoffs!!! ehh........ lets go birds

abie10
03-14-2008, 02:18 AM
i sit 3rd row center across from scorers table...good area...

Hodge is a legit player and belongs in the NBA ...

He is a hustler, great playmaker, and has incredible energy...He is by far my favorite player in the D-League.

Tonights game was awesome as well...down by 18 at half and come back to win? Awesome...

This was the most fun i have had at a game in a while...stop by to say hi tomorrow...i sit right in front of where all the scouts sit...

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-14-2008, 09:42 AM
What a great game! Alando tonight as well....

See you at Tingley!

03-14-2008, 03:14 PM
Everyone Coach Ruland is probably leaving next year..... That sucks but Coach Coffino is the PERFECT coach for the job....everygame that rules got ejected coffino has got the t birds back into the game. For example, against Rio Grande Valley we won and were down by twenty!!!! Johnny is the brains.. I know he aint an NBA guy but look at Brian Gates and the Idaho Stampede..Best team in the league ....Coffino is the guy for the job....please keep him around please please please.............

go tbirds

abie10
03-14-2008, 05:48 PM
I got the impression Ruland was leaving when I talked to Phil Smith. He is really campaigning for this job. He wants it bad...

Where the hell is Ruland going?

03-14-2008, 07:35 PM
Rules does not have to go anywhere but he most likly will go back to college....The d league pay is the worst.... THAT IS WHY ALL THE PLAYERS GO OVER SEAS!!!!
COFFINO IS THE GUY FOR THE JOB!!!!
hE IS A GREAT COACH!!!! HE KNOWS HIS STUFF.....

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-14-2008, 08:09 PM
Where is Ruland going?

Where do you all sit? I would be intrested in finding you all tonight.... Let me know....

Alando didnt play yesterday because of Dental Work. Hmm now tha I think about it, I might have seen braces.

Also, whats up with Brewington not playing? I love the guys game... Not as a starter but as a role player. Why didnt he play last night?

03-15-2008, 12:33 AM
do you were the powerserge shirts????/?

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-15-2008, 01:03 AM
Are you asking me? No...

abie10
03-15-2008, 01:05 AM
nope...but i sit right next to them :)

i'm the big guy that ALWAYS wears some kind of sports jersey...

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-15-2008, 12:22 PM
Did you have the Shaq jersey on at the meet and greet session?

03-15-2008, 01:14 PM
your only fifteen???? where yo sit who are you????

03-15-2008, 04:17 PM
Trade 'em all. : )

Does it appear to anyone else that Ruland has a problem getting along with the players? Other than Gross, I mean?

are you serious!!! you obviously don't know jack about basketball. What your background...Do you know something we don't know about ruland

skippy
03-15-2008, 04:50 PM
Yes, I was serious. That comment was made prior to the Gross trade and Ruland himself has made similiar comments in the paper. He was saying he needed make many moves, and that people were not playing as a team and putting out the effort. I was wondering if anyone else had any inside information.

It was a question about the Gross/Ruland problem went beyond those two as there can NO mistaking that at times this season the team has been completely unwatchable due to selfish, undisciplined play.

As far as my background, I have been involved in sports in New Mexico in many, many different capacities for the last twenty five years. I'm not going to argue with you about my basketball acumen. I think the T-birds record and inflated attendance numbers speak volumes about what the masses think about Ruland's coaching and this teams performance.

I am a fan of this team and want success for them. This season has been disappointing to the point that I can't give away my seats many games. Hopefully, whatever needs to be accomplished to turn this thing around will happen.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-15-2008, 05:45 PM
your only fifteen???? where yo sit who are you????

Yes, only 15. I am still an avid fan just like all of the other members. I was in Ft.Worth when we won the Championship as well..

abie10
03-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Did you have the Shaq jersey on at the meet and greet session?

yes I did...go shaq...go suns...

did i see you there?

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-16-2008, 11:33 AM
You may have but I dont think I was wearing anything that would have stood out.

TBirdCrazy
03-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Well, if anyone has seen the last 4 games (coincidentally the number of games Conroy has been with us) we are now playing as a team. This team is very strong, both defensively, and of course offensively. I just hope it is not too late to make that last playoff spot.

You all know that Alando Tucker is with us now, which is great, but like I reported before...more good news. Rumor has it that Strawberry is headed our way very soon. Now tell me how good this team is going to be.

Yes, we are very guard minded...not many bigs on our team, which could hurt us. But if you have seen even yesterday's game against LA, who is a big team, we ran all over them...and had big enough guys to handle their "Big Guys."

Like I said fans, if anything, it will be one heck of an end to a rather disappointing season. Should be fun the rest of the way.

abie10
03-20-2008, 03:04 AM
Albuquerque, N.M., March 19, 2008 – The Albuquerque Thunderbirds acquired guard Cheyne Gadson in a trade with the Austin Toros. The trade sends newly acquired center Yemi Nicholson who the Thunderbirds acquired within the past 14 hours to the Austin Toros.

Gadson has spent time in the NBA summer league with the Denver Nuggets and New York Knicks. A graduate of Oklahoma State, Gadson has played in 34 games with the Toros this season, averaging 10.8 points per game and 5.6 assists.

“Cheyne is a terrific combo guard and we feel very fortunate to be getting him,” Albuquerque Head Coach Jeff Ruland said. “He will really help our depth and should be a great performer.”

Nicholson, who was picked up yesterday by the Thunderbirds was sent to Austin. Nicholson is a 6’10 center from Denver University. Nicholson led the Denver Pioneers his senior season with 19.9 points per game.

Jesus I wish we had this team earlier in the year. We would be on top of the league...

They put together an amazing team...just waaay to late in the season.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-20-2008, 09:36 AM
Wow... We traded him for a guy we just signed? Awesome... Who did we have to get the C to send to Austin. We are very guard heavy but have an amazing squad

TBirdCrazy
03-20-2008, 11:13 AM
There had been rumors of us still trying to get Cheyne...glad we finally pulled it off. Thanks abie for the update. So he should be in a uniform tonight - hopefully. We have an incredible team right now. We are guard heavy...but notice the pattern...guards taht can play both ends of the floor, and we are now styled after the run and gun Suns...hmmm...go figure!

The season just got better...these last few acquisitions have made up for the lack luster season.

abie10
03-20-2008, 04:16 PM
Damnit...From the Journal:

T-Birds won't get Strawberry tonight (Thursday) Due to injuries to Raja Bell, who sprained his right ankle last night in the 110 – 98 victory over the Seattle SuperSonics, the Phoenix Suns announced this morning they have cancelled DJ Strawberry’s re-assignment to the Albuquerque Thunderbirds.

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-20-2008, 07:14 PM
Damn... We still have a great squad... I still want to see Strawberry and Alando together before the season ends!
So we basically traded Dwight Brewington for Cheyne Gadson if you think about it... I liked Dwight... But I would much rather have Cheyne. Now all we need is an athletic big man... If only the "rubber band man" was 7'. That'd be CRAZY =)

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I knew it ;)

I will miss Serge since he was a great hustle player and did the dirty work. Thomas is a great acquisiton for us though. Now we just need someone who can consistantly hit the 3 and I believe then we have a strong team.

Next Move: Acquired G Mike Gansey. Waived G Elijah Ingram

After: Acquired G Will Conroy. Waived G Abdul Mills

If only if only.

lol =) Me going off imagining what the team would be like a few months ago... Look who we picked up.... Will Conroy

TBirdCrazy
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
Yeah that was a harsh blow with Strawberry. Word was though that we would have only had him for a few games, before the PHX roadtrip, and he would have been sent back up to travel with them.

Cheyne will be playing tonight. He was traveling from Austin yesterday, which is why he was not in uni last night.

Brewington was cut for good reason...you could see that one coming a few games ago.

abie10
03-22-2008, 01:49 AM
I told TBirdCrazy this earlier, but guess who is coming back to town? Joe Shipp! I love the guy...love the way he plays, and more importantly Albuquerque loves him. I think this is the end of the line for Abdul Mills...I don't see anyone else getting cut.

Everyone saying it's getting late to make a run...why we adding all these players? My take on it is this...we still have a chance of making the playoffs. Outside chance...but still a chance. We are the best team in the D-League. Hell...we are the best team in minor league basketball. This team is awesome. I don't think their entire motivation is playoffs. I think we are looking to next year as well. We will own the rights to our core group of players next year, pretty much ensuring a strong team...

It was great tonight. The D-League is incredible. Where else can you actually sit down and talk with the Assistant GM of an NBA team? Or sit down and talk with the VP of the League? It's awesome. Got to talk to Vinny Del Negro of the Suns...he's big on this team. We talked to him about the Suns buying this team. He said that it's been talked about and hasn't been ruled out, but it's something that would take a few years. He talked about the city needing to man up and get a new arena...he talked about taxes needing to be raised to pay for certain things blah blah blah...you get the point.

Him and Alpert were great to talk to and very down to earth. This team and these two guys renewed my enthusiasm in this league and the sport in general...

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-22-2008, 02:24 AM
Joe Shipp is coming back?!

abie10
03-22-2008, 01:28 PM
Sure is...heard it from Bregman and confirmed with a couple other front office ppl...

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-22-2008, 06:30 PM
Wow even deeper at guard now. Mills is gone for Shipp?

TBirdCrazy
03-24-2008, 01:25 PM
abie...always love your commentary and inside scoop.

I agree with you with the additions. We get to keep 4 of the acquisitions, and the rights (if undrafted for next year) to the others. so yes, I think we are building for next year, as well as making the last 'hopeful' push for the playoffs (though that loss yesterday certainly did not help).

look at the core group of players we have for next year alone (Hodge, Conroy, Shipp, Ham - last one is debatable but he is the 'player coach' and brings a lot of experience) Most likely, the first 2 will go overseas for the first bit...unless they do well in the NBA summer league this year, then may stick aroound for the "call-up"

Also, abie...yeah it was great to talk with Vinny. I almost did not recognise him, as he has 'aged' from his playing days.

I also believe Abdul is gone! He has not played a minute in the last 2 games.

look forward to seeing you at the last game

#1 T-Birds Fan
03-26-2008, 01:28 PM
Hey guys I would like to thank you both for all of your constant uupdates... .If it weren't for all of you... I would never know who was where. Thanks for everything and go t-birds!

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-05-2008, 12:38 PM
Thunderbirds trade F Darvin Ham to AUSTIN for C Anthony Fuqua

bdyer
04-05-2008, 03:29 PM
I think the Toros made that trade just to keep Albuquerque from beating them again. Of course Fuqua is now bound to have a 30-point, 15-rebound game next Friday.

TBirdCrazy
04-08-2008, 12:23 AM
Actually, I dare to bet you that the Darvin Ham trade is showing repsect for Darvin. ABQ is out of the playoffs...Darvin has so much experience...he was a crowd favorite, and can bring a lot of experience to the Austin team. He would have just been playing for pride the last few games. Darvin became one of the family this year (much like Tony Bland from previous years) so truthfully I think, again, it was out of respect for Darvin and what he brings to a team

bdyer
04-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Of course Ham is more experienced and consistent than Fuqua -- just a better player. I think the Spurs might also want to gauge his potential for coaching/player development. Mo McHone is doing a great job, but he's nearing retirement age.

abie10
04-13-2008, 02:17 AM
Good Bye Coach Ruland!

I think his exit tonight was very fitting...it's just to bad that the refs were the ones that got to throw him out of Albuquerque and not some of the fans.

He was out there like he didn't care and so were the players...they don't respond to him and ugh...I just can't stand it...

Go back to IONA...go back to New England...wherever you came from...

He came in, completely got rid of EVERY player from last year, and then led the team to a 22-27 record...

I sound bitter don't I lol...but I know I'm not the only one that feels this way...

On a side note, did anyone notice the almost-great comeback tonight? Did you also notice how it coincidentally happened RIGHT after Pittsnoggle fouled out?

TBIRDCRAZY...how did you land that coaching gig you had tonight? Fire Ruland and hire you I say...I'll be your Coffino...

stathunter04
04-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Just for interest: The Thunderbirds Season Stats:
http://rapidshare.com/files/107200780/thunderbirds_stats_0708.pdf

I can't believe that Pittsnogle was the best free throw shooter...

skippy
04-13-2008, 01:51 PM
A couple things about last night's game.

1. When Ruland called the time out and turned his back on the players and didn't instruct and just berated, one of the most bush league things ever.
Only to be topped by...getting himself ejected so he didn't have to watch that abortion of a ballgame...AND....

2. Bregman needs to cut back on his drinking at the game. Instead of his attempt to be like Mark Cuban, he ends up looking like Larry from Three's Company. A beer in his hand, prowling around courtside, looking at chicks. Lame. Not fan, or family friendly.

3. If that was 5389 people there, or whatever they said, I"m Joe Newman. To anyone who says it was legitimate, to see how many people are really at a sporting event, count how many police officers you see being paid overtime.

I thought it was a fitting end to a bad season, the team played out of sync, and selfish. Here's hoping that the team can regain some of the class it showed when Cooper was here.

Here's my keys to success for next year:

Don't change players like you change socks. It's hard for fans to make the connection with the guys. Less flash, more fundamentals.

Team leaders need to behave more professionally both on and off the court.

If you read Rick Wright's article in the Journal today, I think you can figure out who the anonymous caller is begging for media coverage. Again...lame!

TBirdCrazy
04-14-2008, 10:45 PM
abie...a dream come true, that is all I can say. The staff asked me about 4 weeks ago if I wanted to "sit on the bench" for the last game of the season. I said "would I...damn...at least 'my season' wont go down with a disappointment... so of course I said yes. so when Ruland asked me to sit by him before the game, I said "Coach...I'm already in the doghouse, the game has not even started." anyway, it was a dream come true. I guess buying the Jeff, Vinny, and Jon a few drinks at the last "party" did not hurt.

As far as Ruland's getting ejected...it was staged. He was fretting about the players not showing up from the get go. He said "you are embarrasing yourselves" And the players agreed. I just think they shut it down for the season..that is all. Jeff demanded on numerous occassions, in timeouts, that the players keep up the (explicative) play, so I can go pack my bags and leave this (explicative) game, and this (explicative) season. He just could not take it anymore. I dont blame him...the guys, like I said, shut it down before the tip. No one played defense, no one rebounded, no one moved on offense. They woke up in 2nd half, only because they realised that their pride was on the line. Also, they mentioned that they were embarrasing themselves in fron of their own crowd, and they felt bad. Let me just say this. The only player on this team they gave a rats (explicative) was Majic...it gave it all throughout the whole game...he is a class act. Hopefully he will be back next year, cause he will surely be missed.

Abie, maybe next year we can both get on the bench, like you mention...we will have to hit up Breg for that.

Also, skippy, while Bregman does like to walk and drink, he is by far one of the best owners in this league (I have met a few of them - granted not all). He cares about his fans, his team, basketball. And no, i do not say this to kiss butt. I say this from having gone to all but 3 games in the last 3 years, and getting to know him, his family, and the fan base here in albuquerque.

skippy
04-15-2008, 01:51 AM
It's obvious that Bregman loves the game, and the team.

I just think he should tone down the drinking and if the walk is stress-release, cool.
But he's walking like a Panther out there!!!

But hey, we all want the same thing here, and that's a better team and performance next year!

TBirdCrazy
04-18-2008, 12:40 PM
Word is, Ruland is out for next year. Not official, but keep your ears open. also, his "being tossed" last game was all staged. He told the ref that if they missed the next shot, to T him up and throw him out. Why you ask...well to give a looksy at Coffino for next year. But that is just a little birdy saying it, not sure how true it is.

Also, yes, Bregman does drink (a little too much maybe) and does pace a lot, but does so because 1. stress (who wouldn't this year) 2. to socailize

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-18-2008, 06:31 PM
It looked fake to me.

I still think Harge should have been the Head Coach last season.... Now he is at NM Highlands

skippy
04-18-2008, 07:26 PM
Well, if Ruland is gone, I hope they go with someone with New Mexico ties, like a Phil Smith or a Casey Owens.

As far as the drinking being a stress relief, there are better ways, and I don't believe Bregman to be a bad guy, quite the contrary. I just don't think that it is the image one would want to represent oneself or have as the face of the organization, as it was necessary he be this year, with the team being so bad.

Here's hoping for a better team, and a less stressed, pacing with beers owner.

TBirdCrazy
04-18-2008, 11:45 PM
Harge and ownership did not get along. That is why Harge was never even thought of as a candidate.

I agree skippy, here's to a better season next year!

skippy
07-22-2008, 03:40 PM
In today's Albuquerque Journal, there is an article about the T-birds not paying the rent for Tingley Coliseum for last year, yet.

I know Tingley isn't the most viable venue, but you don't try to renegotiate your rent you already owe after the season. ABA-ish.

TBirdCrazy
07-23-2008, 03:46 PM
I agree Skippy...very WBL-ish actually. However, there is something that goes deeper in this story, that they are not saying.

skippy
07-23-2008, 08:58 PM
You should PM me what you know, as I think I may know what you are referring to.

If so, not good.

BTW, what's the WBL?

TBirdCrazy
07-28-2008, 05:27 PM
Purchase Season Tickets Now And Get Tickets To Diamondbacks Or Rockies Game, Free!

Today Only - Call 505-265-dunk

Pretty Good Deal For The Abq Tbirds

skippy
08-22-2008, 05:08 PM
Ruland's gone.

Bring back Coop!

#1 T-Birds Fan
08-24-2008, 02:38 PM
Wow I am really surprised by that actually. Unfortunatley I dont think Coop will come back :(

09-06-2008, 11:40 PM
Ruland's gone.

Bring back Coop!

BRING BACK COFFINO!

Coffino is a great coach that we need to bring back. We would win a lot of games because he does his homework whether its scouting or picking players for the draft. he was 3-0 in the three games he coached last year. Even the players love him on and off the court.

Coffino's the right choice for head coach for the up comming season.
WE NEED ANOTHER CHAMPIONSHIP! BRING BACK COFFINO AS HEAD COACH.

TBirdCrazy
09-09-2008, 12:22 AM
Scoops - For starters, Coffino last year did prove that he could coach at this level, at least in about 6 games where Ruland got ejected. Was not at the practices, and don't know how he assisted with those...but all in all, this league is the "Development" league. You are developing coaches/personnel/players for the next level. Again...Coffino coached many games last year, and proved himself worthy of a shot.

He is also a players coach.

Take it from me, I was on the bench for the last game at home...Coffino knows how to inspire the players. We were down 26, and we climbed back to within 10, almost instantly. He is a players coach...you can see that. Why not give him a shot. An NBA name, which a lot of Dleague teams go for, can only get you so far.

09-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I think that who ever the Thunderbirds choose will be the right guy for the job. Go Coffino!!!!!

TBirdCrazy
10-06-2008, 05:08 PM
My local newspaper announced that their is a press conference scheduled for tomorrow, Tuesday October 7th. My guess is it is to announce the new head coach. Is this true? Anybody know?

10-06-2008, 07:57 PM
What else would it be for?

DakotaWiz
10-07-2008, 04:49 PM
On one of the sites I read it says that Coffino and Ham are going to be named coaches today.

TBirdCrazy
10-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Coffino was named head coach today. While Darvin Ham and Dean Garrett were named assistant coaches.

Should have a pretty good season with that amount of experience....should be exciting.

Congrats to Coffino, Ham, and Garrett...all of which start their coaching careers this year (Coffino's head coaching career)

Should be a really fun year!

10-08-2008, 12:58 AM
Coffino will be perfect for the job. they searched everywhere and found that the real head coach was standing right in front of them ready to begin his head coaching career. Congrat Coffino.
Bringthe t-birds back to the top.
Sincerely,
'SCOOPS"

PS....Darvin and dean are both class acts with knowledge for the game.

Go Tbirds

11-07-2008, 11:46 PM
The draft went extremely well for the t-birds. We got a lot of good players that will hopefully bring us to the top.

1. David Noel
2. David Monds
3. Waki Williams
4. Pierre Darden
5. Eddie Robinson
6. Steve Allen
7. Kris Clack
8. Lorenzo Davis
9. Michael Strawberry
10. Fred Gibson

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-08-2008, 12:47 PM
I LOVE the pick of Noel and Robindon. Robinson was a huge steal in round 5. I looked up some stats on those other guys and none were to impressive. I hope the coaching staff saw something I didnt.

Also, anyone know if Cheyne Gadson is returning this season?

PG: Conroy
SG: Gadson
SF: Robinson
PF: Noel
C: ?

Thats a solid line up. PLus the addition of home town boy Mark Walters!

DakotaWizardsFan
11-08-2008, 02:42 PM
Also, anyone know if Cheyne Gadson is returning this season?

http://www.nba.com/dleague/news/returning_players_2008.html

Returning and Allocated Players:
Will Conroy
Majic Dorsey
Ramon Dyer
Cheyne Gadson
Cory Underwood
Mark Walters (Allocated)
Sidney Hooper (Tryout)

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-10-2008, 09:56 PM
Thanks for that. I think we have a very solid squad this year. We have 3 very talented PG's in Conroy, Walters, and Dorsey.

How do you think our line up will look?

I think Noel and Robinson deserve to be starters but they both play the 3 and Gadsen is very talented at the 2. What do you think?

TBirdCrazy
11-20-2008, 03:32 PM
We have Conroy at the 1, that is a given. Gadsen would be a great 2, as long as he accepts that role. Add Noel at the 3, and David Monds at the 5...we are pretty well rounded. Tough team.

We will see if Gadsen can drop his attitude and actually work with the team. There is no one questioning his talent, just his attitude.

And let me tell you, this coaching staff, from what I saw last year, will not put up with it too long.

But then again, what do I know.

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-22-2008, 12:27 PM
Conroy and Gadsen is a deadly back court. Would Robinson be the 6th man?

Anyone have some you-tube or stats on Monds? I only saw the stats D-League.com provided and they weren't to impressive.

Also, anyone going to the pre-season party tonight? I might. Still undecided, but I found out earlier this week that a guy on my high school basketball team is a nephew of Bregman.

Court side seats?

Awesome!

TBirdCrazy
11-26-2008, 02:09 PM
well, looks like robinson did not make the cut. Actually, if looks as if the 3rd/4th/and 5th round picks did not make the cut. Wow...that is either really poor drafting, or just incredibly great talent all around.

I think with the amount of returning players we had coming back, and the caliber of them, it was tough to make the team.

The returning players: Conroy, Gadsen, Majic, Underwood make it difficult for the next 6 to make. Noel was a shu-in. That leaves 5 spots, for alot of guys. Not much room for error. and in that bunch, not much room for many smalls.

We will see what happens in the home opener this Friday against a tough Colorado team

#1 T-Birds Fan
11-27-2008, 11:37 PM
Wow I am very surprised Robinson got cut. I thought he would have been a sick 6th man.

PG: Conroy
SG: Gadsen
SF: Noel
PF: Underwood
C: Monds

Maybe?

I will see you all tomorrow night!

TBirdCrazy
12-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Is it me, or can this team just not play defense? Also....we can not rebound (outside of Monds).

We play a zone defense all game long. If we are to teach these guys the game we need to teach them to play a little man-to-man.

Also, drop the isolation one on one game...it is not helping.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-10-2008, 09:17 PM
Your right. Its going to be an ugly season if this keeps up. Noel needs to post up more. He is huge and he has an ugly jumper. He just needs to back down on those smaller SF's.

#1 T-Birds Fan
12-11-2008, 09:50 PM
Wow. We sure made some moves today. We waived Majic and picked-up Keith McCleod who I think last played with the Mavs or Jazz? He is a solid PG but we have Conroy...?

Annnnnd we traded Cheyne Gadsen to the D-Fenders for PF Jasper Johnson (13th overall pick)

We needed a big man but we needed to move a PG...not a SG. Who will start now?

Conroy, Clack, Noel, Johnson, Monds?

TBirdCrazy
12-12-2008, 06:02 PM
I noticed that...I am wondering why we did not get bigger. We are way too small.

We got rid of Cheyne - lets face it, he has such an attitude, I am surprised he is still around the league.

Jasper is good...was a good trade.

Keith, well, he brings veteran ability...and he can ball. Just why so small, that is what I can not understand.

TBirdCrazy
12-15-2008, 01:58 PM
I am so frustrated at how this team plays. They have no defense at all. We have a very talented team...just not very good coaching on the defensive end.

Also...if this keeps up, Coffino might be out of a job real quick. How many more 20 point losses can a team take before the owner looks at it and says, "we need a different approach." If this were the NBA (and I know it is not) Coffino would be out already.

I like him as a coach, I think he can be a great coach...but enough is enough already.

I seriously told my wife, if they keep this crap up, I may just not show up to the games (I am a season ticket holder).

I can stomach a 2,4,6 point loss...but consecutive 20 point losses...that is just inexcusable.

12-17-2008, 05:52 PM
1. yes we can't play defense but it is a long season.
2. how is that the coaches fault?? these guys won't play defense. it isn't like Coffino, Ham, and Garrett don't want to win!!!!
3. we made 14 moves the year we won the ship!!!1
4. The coaches wil make some moves
5. Go T-birds...we will get onto a win streak!!!!

P.S.

Bring back Hodge.

12-17-2008, 07:16 PM
No offence but don't jump on the bandwagon or expect bench seats.........

TBirdCrazy
12-18-2008, 06:12 PM
I dont expect anything. and like I said...I think Coffino is, and will continue to be, a good coach (read my previous email again). All I am saying is this...avg of 19pts per game losses while on the road, as well as giving up that many pts is a cause for disaster.

Yes, it is a long season...but will be even longer if they keep this trend going. In every game I have seen this year (which is every game by the way - via nba.com or live) I have seen too much one on one. Nobody really sacrificing their body to go get the rebound (besides Monds). No offense, but it looks like a pick-up game.

I saw it today, they played better defense (even a little man to man defense which they dont play much of)...but losing by 20 pts consecutively is absurd.

You may be right, maybe it should rest on the players shoulders. But maybe you are wrong and some of that blame can be placed on the coach.

I think it is a little of both.

Here is hoping the Tbirds find the magic sometime soon.

12-18-2008, 06:34 PM
i agree with you. You know your basketball.... what a heartbreaker....

12-18-2008, 06:35 PM
The guys deserve a win tho.... they played hard and that was a b.s. shot to end the game...

12-18-2008, 09:37 PM
tbirdcrazy......wil you be at the game tomorrow??

TBirdCrazy
12-19-2008, 04:03 PM
i will be there...see you there?

12-23-2008, 12:18 AM
go tbirds...next game: idaho @ albuquerque december 26!!! be there

12-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Hey the tbirds are back...jus beat the best team in the league roster wise.....

all aboard time to jump on the tbird bangwagon....

all you other d-league teams better watch out

lets get another in anaheim and the two more in rio grande valley...

go tbirds

skippy
12-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Not to be Debbie Downer here...

Idaho dressed 8 players for the game and only 7 saw substantial minutes.

12-31-2008, 02:28 AM
a win is a win...

01-03-2009, 11:38 PM
just blew out rio grande... we were up like twenty the whole game...go tbirds

skippy
01-04-2009, 08:17 PM
a win is a win...

Hey, I agree and good for them for winning a game.

I was just taking exception to the comment of beating the best team in the league roster wise, since Idaho only dressed 8.

I'll be there January 9th with my foam finger.

01-06-2009, 11:53 AM
ANother Win

TBirdCrazy
01-07-2009, 05:55 PM
I have to say...the Tbirds are playing better. I think the trade for Jasper has helped. and maybe also, the players are starting to believe in the coach's philosophy, bout time! they seem to be a better unit out there...playing more team ball.

I still think they need to figure out how to put the teams away, for good, but every team has that issue, so that is not that big.

Will be there Friday.

Getting ready to watch them play Erie at the Showcase.

diehard birdy
01-08-2009, 11:45 AM
I agree team on a roll, lets try to keep momentum going this weekend. Cant see it keeping up though if they dont play better D, but I think this is a start. see you all on friday. PS where has Clack been?

TBirdCrazy
01-08-2009, 05:35 PM
diehard -

I agree...the D has to get better. They have shown improvement, but still needs to be better. Heck, D can never be perfect...it can always be better.

There is no questioning our offensive power - probably the best in the league.

Clack - must be an injury or something, been out the last few games. We will see tomorrow at the game.

01-08-2009, 09:10 PM
Clack has been released for disciplinary action. Coffino has control over them.

TBirdCrazy
01-09-2009, 05:41 PM
Thanks Scoops!

01-10-2009, 04:00 PM
We on a roll!! go tbirds...what a shot by will "the thrill" conroy!!!

TBirdCrazy
01-12-2009, 04:57 PM
5 game win streak!!!!!!!!!

We still have to learn how to put people away...almost lost a 20 point lead going into the 4th quarter.

Tough game this week against Bakersfield.

Lets keep it going.

01-12-2009, 11:32 PM
I think we will do fine against bakersfield because their star point guard Mateen Cleaves is out.

Go Tbirds.

TBirdCrazy
01-16-2009, 10:48 AM
Great win last night against Bakersfield. If you go back and look at this win streak, you will probably find that we are finally out-rebounding our opponent. The first 10 games or so we were getting decimated on the boards. As I said previously, the Jasper Johnson trade was a great trade for us.

Let's Ride the wave!

01-16-2009, 12:21 PM
Another one baby....and Mateen Cleaves did play... let keep winning and get ontop of our division.

Go tbirds.

watch tonight on the futurecast!!!!

TBirdCrazy
01-16-2009, 08:36 PM
That's 7 in a row - Just beat Los Angeles...lets keep it going. I missed the webcast, but first thing I checked when I came home from work.

Like I said....lets keep it rolling.

01-17-2009, 12:56 AM
Wow. We are officially the hottest professional basketball team on the planet. 7 in a row. only team in the usa to be on a 7 game winning streak.

go tbirds...

for all you that bleed tbirds orange i will see you at the game on 23 of january.

skippy
01-17-2009, 02:16 PM
I wanted to mention that I like how Tingley is painted on those staircases.

They should paint the rest of the floors and stairs those colors. It adds life.

01-20-2009, 06:51 PM
we play a tough two games at Colorado and Idaho. lets hope we can keep the streak alive.

01-21-2009, 12:19 PM
Tough one. Not to balme it on the refs but they were terrible...real close game though...Colorado has a lot of talent. Play again tonight in idaho. Go tbirds

TBirdCrazy
01-22-2009, 12:38 PM
Seems we always have a tough time with Colorado...what is that 10 straight times we have lost to that team.

Great win last night in Idaho...lets keep it going on Friday at home.

See you all there!

diehard birdy
02-09-2009, 04:42 PM
team's on fire....wasn't there Friday but saw the great comeback on Sat. I just saw Eddie Gill was called up by Milwakee....what's that mean for Conroy? is it a character issue with him or what. We love ya Will! represent the birds in the All-Star game

diehard birdy
02-24-2009, 12:04 PM
HUGE games in Austin tonight and Thursday.....Austin seems to have our number so this should be a good gauge to see where we are. Let's hope for a least a split. Go Birds!!!!

TBirdCrazy
02-25-2009, 10:13 AM
Great game in Austin last night. I think we did great...especially condsidering that Keith was out sick, Toree was out with a broken wrist, and Will played with 1 eye. No excuses...they just had a mental lapse at the end.

We always seem to keep it close with Austin....next time hopefully the outcome is a little different.

diehard birdy
03-06-2009, 12:49 AM
what the heck? we traded Noel....i dunno bout that. they seemed to be gelling as a team, hope this doesnt throw anything off. just checked score online and saw meeking had a decent line. we got a pretty stout front court with monds/jasper/allen/stricker & now Meeking. I'll be missing Noel, i'll be there tomorrow night

skippy
03-06-2009, 04:39 PM
Stricker is a big boy.
Smacks people around a bit, and gets himself into foul trouble early.

I'm not getting the Monds trade either, Meeking was foul prone last night, and Walters played quite a bit which was nice to see.

Perhaps, the team felt that with Will and Jasper we have enough scorers, and now need role players. Hopefully, neither of them will bail before the season ends, lest the T-birds would have to completely retool.

spikeville
06-22-2009, 06:40 AM
Last night on the news, T-birds owner said he would "like to see the team back, but we need "angel" investors". He went on to say that this costs a lot of money, the NBA gives them alot, its just not enough to keep it going by himself."

The local anchor told people to come out and see what just might be the last Albuquerque Thunderbirds game ever.