PDA

View Full Version : Fort Wayne, IN to have D-League team for 07-08

Freedom
01-21-2007, 05:50 PM
It is a possibility the old CBA team name will be revived.

Fort Wayne (Fury)?

http://www.indianasnewscenter.com/Sports/Default.aspx?type=sn&NStoryID=4922

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-22-2007, 12:16 PM
I don't get it. The CBA Fury already failed, the Fort Wayne winter sports market is already over-saturated, and NBADL teams generally do poorly at the gate.

Let's hope the Steelheads don't go that route...although it may be likely. Winter hoops for minor leagues isn't the answer (and the jury is still out on Spring hoops).

Freedom
01-22-2007, 01:44 PM
The Fury did well, led or near the top in attendance for a few years too. I hear the ownership group is 10 X's more solid, than the group putting in football here. . .

Logo was cool, hope they revive it. I think it may do well. No matter what season they play in, someone else will have games going on. Hockey, Baseball, Football, Soccer . . .

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-22-2007, 08:21 PM
...No matter what season they play in, someone else will have games going on. Hockey, Baseball, Football, Soccer . . .

Exactly my point. The Fort Wayne minor league market is already saturated.

The Fury was near the top of the league in attendance? That was then, this is now. The Fury folded from a LACK of attendance. That fact can't be ignored. Gary had huge crowds for their regionally televised games (some over 6,000) during the 2004-2005 season. Yet, they struggled to pay bills during the following season. So what, if they had large crowds in the past. If massive amounts of fans weren't showing up on a constant basis, then why bring this bit of historic information to light.

...but what do I know? Gary isn't Fort Wayne.

sportsguy12
01-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Exactly my point. The Fort Wayne minor league market is already saturated.

The Fury was near the top of the league in attendance? That was then, this is now. The Fury folded from a LACK of attendance. That fact can't be ignored. Gary had huge crowds for their regionally televised games (some over 6,000) during the 2004-2005 season. Yet, they struggled to pay bills during the following season. So what, if they had large crowds in the past. If massive amounts of fans weren't showing up on a constant basis, then why bring this bit of historic information to light.

...but what do I know? Gary isn't Fort Wayne.

If basketball returns to Ft Wayne, they would probably get the Pacers or a Central Division team. You've also got neighboring teams around.

I think this whole D-League minor league system thing is going to take off, it's just going to take some time.

Freedom
01-23-2007, 01:55 PM
The Fury folded from a LACK of attendance. That fact can't be ignored.

Check your facts . . .

The Fury averaged 4,266 fans in its final season (2000-2001). That average would put them NUMBER ONE in the NBA D-league today. So in other words . . . attendance was NOT the problem.

Keep in mind, those attendance numbers were before our stadium underwent a 30 million dollar upgrade in 2003. I wouldn't be surprised to see the new team reach attendance levels higher than what the old Fury team had when they started (6000+?). Could be even greater if they are granted affiliation with the Pacers.

Fury Basketball and Freedom Football have been two teams that have failed in the last 15 years, neither did so because of attendance.

Komets Hockey has been going on for 55 years and is always in the running for top attendance. Wizards' baseball is #1 in attendance and have been playing for 13 years. They also want to build a brand-new stadium in downtown Fort Wayne by 2009.

The point is, as long as the team does its part, there are plenty of people to support it. Fort Wayne attendance at events hasn't been an issue for nearly two decades. Probably a good reason every FW team seems to set a record at one time or another.

Over saturated?

Nah, well supported is more like it. . . .

Freedom
01-23-2007, 02:03 PM
If basketball returns to Ft Wayne. . .

When

:)

sportsguy12
01-23-2007, 03:05 PM
When

:)

I hope you're right Freedom. I also hope they are able to use the Fury name. I am a traditionalist. I don't like the Fusion's name. The Freedom had an identity already established.

Maybe, with the Fusion, I just can't stomach that logo.

Freedom
01-23-2007, 03:27 PM
When it comes to the Fusion, everyone says the same thing: "What is up with that horrible logo . . . "

The Basketball owners like the Fury name because it gives them instant recognition. Now, I don't know if they will go that direction or not, but I think chances are good. I look for them to use the Fury name and a new updated logo . . .

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-23-2007, 10:49 PM
Freedom,
I'm not one of those people who believes Isiah Thomas ruined the CBA. I don't believe it for one second. The CBA was on a downward spiral before Isiah came on the scene--he actually took steps to SAVE the CBA. If the lack of attendance didn't kill-off the Fury, then the lack of PAID attendance certainly killed-off the Fury. The most successful teams in the league joined the IBL after the CBA ceased operations in 2001. The Fury's owner didn't want anything else to do with minor league hoops when asked to rejoin the NEW CBA the following year--he said so himself from his home in Florida during an interview. Does he feel the same way now? I dunno.

If minor league basketaball was viable in Fort Wayne, then Fort Wayne would have had a team six years ago. Of course, that's just MY opinion. Let's see what happens if Fort Wayne gets a NBADL team. I think I already know, but let's see.

Freedom
01-24-2007, 12:32 PM
You don't have to believe it. I'm not even asking you to.

But please don't forget that the Fury played for nearly 10 years with an average fan support of 100,000-150,000 people per year without Isiah's help.

Maybe the Fury's failure under Isiah's one year reign was a coincidence? :)

Whatever the case is, word has it that a new team will be playing in 07-08 and I'm looking forward to it . . .

sportsguy12
01-24-2007, 01:10 PM
You don't have to believe it. I'm not even asking you to.

But please don't forget that the Fury played for nearly 10 years with an average fan support of 100,000-150,000 people per year without Isiah's help.

Maybe the Fury's failure under Isiah's one year reign was a coincidence? :)

Whatever the case is, word has it that a new team will be playing in 07-08 and I'm looking forward to it . . .

it has not been the same since his year of ownership. They've always had teams moving etc., but solid franchises such as Rockford, etc. were never able to rebound from when the league went out of business.

Now he's taken a big bite out of the big apple.

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-24-2007, 01:28 PM
it has not been the same since his year of ownership. They've always had teams moving etc., but solid franchises such as Rockford, etc. were never able to rebound from when the league went out of business.

Now he's taken a big bite out of the big apple.

The Knicks were in big trouble with contracts BEFORE Isiah Thomas got there--but that's another story. Isiah gets FAR too much credit. Rockford (the metrocentre in particular) no longer wanted the CBA. It's about the bottom line, not Isiah. I'll speak on Rockford a little further in another thread.

FortWayneBballfan
01-30-2007, 06:13 PM
The Knicks were in big trouble with contracts BEFORE Isiah Thomas got there--but that's another story. Isiah gets FAR too much credit. Rockford (the metrocentre in particular) no longer wanted the CBA. It's about the bottom line, not Isiah. I'll speak on Rockford a little further in another thread.

You need to get your facts straight buddy. Thomas completely screwed over the owners of the teams in the CBA. He ran it into the ground after making many promises and then just throwing the league away. The facts are the CBA died because of Thomas. This comes from someone who knows first hand what really happened.

The Fury had the best attendance and each season either broke even or made money from sponsorships and ticket sales. The Fury would have NEVER folded if Thomas would have not bought the team. They were on very sturdy financial ground.

If a NBDL team comes to FW and ties in with the Pacers or the Bulls, they will be able to build on the past success of the Fury.

Your facts about the Fury have been incorrect in every single one of
your posts.

Ken, Steelheads fan
01-30-2007, 09:10 PM
You need to get your facts straight buddy. Thomas completely screwed over the owners of the teams in the CBA. He ran it into the ground after making many promises and then just throwing the league away. The facts are the CBA died because of Thomas. This comes from someone who knows first hand what really happened.

The Fury had the best attendance and each season either broke even or made money from sponsorships and ticket sales. The Fury would have NEVER folded if Thomas would have not bought the team. They were on very sturdy financial ground.

If a NBDL team comes to FW and ties in with the Pacers or the Bulls, they will be able to build on the past success of the Fury.

Your facts about the Fury have been incorrect in every single one of
your posts.

Hmmmmm. That's strange because I ALSO know what really happened with Thomas and the CBA. It's a matter of opinion that Isiah Thomas screwed-over the owners of the CBA--an opinion I do not share. Only time will tell if an NBADL team will build on the past success of the Fury though. I don't put much faith in the NBADL because of the D-League's past performance.

FortWayneBballfan
01-30-2007, 09:17 PM
Hmmmmm. That's strange because I ALSO know what really happened with Thomas and the CBA. It's a matter of opinion that Isiah Thomas screwed-over the owners of the CBA--an opinion I do not share. Only time will tell if an NBADL team will build on the past success of the Fury though. I don't put much faith in the NBADL because of the D-League's past performance.

It is apparent that your thoughts on Thomas and the CBA's downfall or the Furys for that matter are completely incorrect. As someone who was on the inside during the downfall, you could not be further from the truth. You do not need to share your opionion, it means nothing. Because anyone who is really in the know about the CBA would have a clue that Thomas was the reason the CBA died. Talk all that you want but the entire league and its owners who sold to Thomas know much better and they also know the truth.

The Fury always did very well in the past and they will do just as well if not better if brought back in the NBDL.

Pounder
01-31-2007, 10:58 AM
FW and Gary, chill.

I have a mantra from another board that seems to apply here:

We all suck.

USBL, CBA, D-League... is there really a difference? I'm not convinced that there's much difference.

(If you want to get technical, I could certainly argue that I. Thomas had a hand in this... but why did the owners all sell to him in the first place?)

Of course, the ABA surprises us all by mining new depths of suckitude every time we think they've bored completely through the earth to the Indian Ocean.

FortWayneBballfan
02-01-2007, 02:42 PM
FW and Gary, chill.

I have a mantra from another board that seems to apply here:

We all suck.

USBL, CBA, D-League... is there really a difference? I'm not convinced that there's much difference.

(If you want to get technical, I could certainly argue that I. Thomas had a hand in this... but why did the owners all sell to him in the first place?)

Of course, the ABA surprises us all by mining new depths of suckitude every time we think they've bored completely through the earth to the Indian Ocean.

The owners sold because it was a great business decision based on the agreement with Thomas....but he ended up screwing most of them...big time!