PDA

View Full Version : Southeastern League will not play in 2004

the godfather
03-27-2004, 03:31 PM
from Baseball America

Indy League Postpones Debut

The South States League, an independent league that includes the remnants of the Southeastern League, decided to postpone its first season until 2005. Although five teams had expressed their interest in playing, officials decided a rushed effort to play in 2004 would be harmful to the long-term interests of the league.

"It's too close to the season," Baton Rouge Riverbats owner L.J. Dupuy said. "The only two teams that played last year were Alexandria and Baton Rouge. For the other clubs to have to learn how to operate a club in a two-and-a-half-month period wouldn't be fair to them."

The league says it has five teams that have expressed interest in playing in 2005. In addition to Alexandria and Baton Rouge, Anderson, S.C., and Macon and Albany, Ga., could play in 2005.

sportsnut
03-27-2004, 06:19 PM
While the news of the SEL's decision is disappointing, I'm definitely not surprised. When the Macon (Ga.) Peaches decided they weren't going to play in 2004, it was only a matter of time before the other players in this scenario decided to follow suit. Whether the fans decide to come back when the new SSL launches in 2005 remains to be seen, as I'm sure so many baseball fans in the Southeast, particularly in places like Albany, Ga., have been burned by franchises leaving so many times in years past. Still, the decision to postpone the season for a year is the right thing to do at this point. After all, if you're going to have a good, quality league, with affordable prices the whole family can enjoy, you have to learn how to do it right. And trying to do it right in less than two and a half obviously isn't very smart.

sportsnut
04-30-2004, 12:25 AM
While the news of the SEL's decision is disappointing, I'm definitely not surprised. When the Macon (Ga.) Peaches decided they weren't going to play in 2004, it was only a matter of time before the other players in this scenario decided to follow suit. Whether the fans decide to come back when the new SSL launches in 2005 remains to be seen, as I'm sure so many baseball fans in the Southeast, particularly in places like Albany, Ga., have been burned by franchises leaving so many times in years past. Still, the decision to postpone the season for a year is the right thing to do at this point. After all, if you're going to have a good, quality league, with affordable prices the whole family can enjoy, you have to learn how to do it right. And trying to do it right in less than two and a half months obviously isn't very smart.

It should read "two and a half months". Here is the corrected version above. Sorry for any inconvenience.