PDA

View Full Version : is any league as bad as this?

WHAFAN
01-12-2007, 03:35 PM
Can anyone name a league, whether major or minor with as much failure and incompetance than the ABA? Indoor soccer, indoor lacrosse, arena football, low level minor league hockey, all of these leagues have better attendance, a more professionally run league office, up to date stats, and more organization that this rec league of hack basketball. No other league that I can remember has ever cancelled games except due to weather conditions. The attendance in the original ABA was poor, but was still 100 times better than it is now. The United States Hockey League team in Chicago, the Chicago Steel, is a developmental league whereby the players are trying to earn scholarships to college, or get noticed by upper level leagues. They do not get paid. These kids are 16-20 years old. Each and every home game has at least 800 people in the stands. And hockey is nowhere as popular as basketball. Can you explain this for me? Amateur hockey=800 fans, ABA games=80 fans. Affordable family entertainment.......Fish rot from the head, and apparently Joe is the head of the ABA.

PIONEERSFAN101
01-12-2007, 04:47 PM
Do some research and OSC forum reading about the National Indoor Football League(NIFL).

And let the debate rage on: Who's worse? The ABA or the NIFL?

jwalters
01-12-2007, 05:17 PM
The answer to that question is neither. The leagues are the same for now. I don't post much on basketball or the NIFL but this is what I have noticed. I have watched the NIFL since its inception and it is now just a sad parody of what it once was. It has slid progressively downward to a point where it is now filled with teams that exist in name only. It is a sham. Now, the players are not to blame it is the comish and the owners.
As for the ABA it has for a long time now been a parody of a basketball league. Joe Newman just wanted the franchise fees and the rest be damned. But now strangely enough it appears to be improving. The franchise fee is up, cancellations are down, and a few teams are showing life. Rochester, Buffalo, and Vermont are quality franchises(despite Vermont's old venues that I personally like). The southern franchises in Boco Raton, Ft. Lauderdale, and Mobile all play in nice, large college venues. If they survive fans will catch on. I've heard Detroit is averaging 600 to 900. That's not bad maybe they should move to Windsor. Montreal also appears to be a pretty good franchise but I don't know. Also the Kentucky Colonels are returning. They will play in Murray this year. I would like to see them come to Owensboro instead. We have a 5,000 seat arena that rents for only $1,100 on average. But hay I'm partial to the old barn.
The point is the ABA is slowly improving. I think the complaints were starting to get to Joe. The league should stay away from NBA and CBA cities and mandate a standard schedule. The leagues are both bad but they are clearly moving in opposite directions.

jwalters
01-12-2007, 05:31 PM
I forgot to mention the fact that Chad Dittman, IFL founder and CC Hammerheads owner, now owns a team in Robstown, TX that will begin play next year. That is a good pickup for the ABA. Now how about Owensboro and Frankfort, Kentucky and Jackson, TN. Those are towns with good facilities and nothing going on.

nksports
01-13-2007, 12:03 AM
I would have to nominate the AAPBL, which folded last year without playing a game. The league held a two-week long summer league tryout at $1,000 a head (the players were promised their money back if they made a team).
Things began to unravel when the Cedar Rapids arena, which had been toasted on minor league basketball in the past, wanted a hefty deposit to hold dates for a team. That team was moved to Hutchinson, Kan.
Another team was moved.
Then the venue that hosted the summer league wasn't paid (it was somewhere in Montana I think). Then coaches weren't paid. Then it all fell apart weeks before it was supposed to start.
Except for the players, coaches, staff and vendors who weren't paid, it was all pretty funny (not).

Shootmaster_44
01-13-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm thinking the IIHL takes the cake. From what I remember the league had 4 or 5 phantoms teams, one team that started playing games mid-way through the short season and two teams that played actual games. The one story I remember coming out of there is that the league (or the team can't remember which) didn't pay the bus company so it took one team on a road trip, but since the bill didn't get paid the team got left in where ever it was they played. One of the player's dads rented one of those giant 3 ton trucks and they drove the players back in it.

There was also a few leagues that never played a game that were pretty bad too. The North American Indoor Football League was a start up league here in Canada, that advertised leases with the major arenas coast-to-coast. It hadn't spoken to half the arenas. In fact I believe I am the only "player" in league history. On a whim I thought it might be cool to try-out for the Saskatoon team and get a free t-shirt for my troubles. I filled out the try-out form and was told local try-outs would be held in a couple months and they'd get back to me. The next email I received from the league mentioned something about Ottawa being my "team" now. Last I heard I had been traded to either St. John's or Montreal (I forget which). They had never even seen me play but apparently I was a member of 3 different teams.

Chuck the Writer
01-13-2007, 04:03 AM
About 10 years ago, when I was writing for the minor league hockey publication Hockey Ink!, I saw a lot of teams in minor league hockey stumbling around and failing left and right. Let's see... I recall the Albany Choppers (IHL), a team so inept that ... well... with apologies to preeths for posting a hockey-related article in a basketball board, here's a link to the article I wrote in Hockey Digest about them. And I gotta say this about the Choppers - they originally came from Indiana, the home state of Joe "Magpie" Newman.

http://hometown.aol.com/boardwalk7/choppers.html

cola38
01-17-2007, 06:18 AM
we have had small crowds but lots excitement from our new team the heatwave and we hope to keep them we are seeing old nba players and up and coming players so we shall see and the website isn't going exactly but the switch happened in first of the season. but look out for the heatwave.

psbf
01-17-2007, 10:09 AM
I'm curious as to what your definition of a small crowd is? If I remember, didn't the Heatwave just relocate there from Fresno, who also had small crowds? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Fells
01-18-2007, 05:57 AM
we have had small crowds but lots excitement from our new team the heatwave and we hope to keep them we are seeing old nba players and up and coming players so we shall see and the website isn't going exactly but the switch happened in first of the season. but look out for the heatwave.

Holy run-on sentence Batman!!!! (Sorry, I had to point that out.)

I don't have much confidence in a team who moves from one city to another in mid-season. Marketing can't take place, PR has to be done on the fly, and the players cannot establish themselves in the community before they take the court for the first time. If your definition of a small crowd is the players, janitors, officials(who must be paid in cash of course since ABA checks tend to be made of a certain rubbery substance), and coaches, then you have a typical ABA crowd. With the team moving mid-season I wouldn't expect that you will get more than that, and even the janitors may stop coming to the games.