PDA

View Full Version : The Plight Of The Newark Express....

ABA06er
01-12-2007, 12:23 PM
After uptaining a tape of the Rochester vs. Cape Cod game that was on played on Live TV on time warner cable in the Rochester viewing area and seeing what a great game it was and how exciting basketball in Rochester was , I decided to make the trip to Rochester last night for the teams second televised game. However me nor the 2,700 people who showed up were pleased.

Newark showed up with 8 guys who looked like they were picked up off the street minutes before the game , the team was made up of a few low level college players and they had a few players who had no experience but High School Basketball.

The head coach was a Black Lady in high heel boots, dress pants that were 5 sizes to small, Large fake gold ear-rings and a pink shirt later we found out that they had a real head coach with NBA experience who left 3 weeks earlier because he wasent being payed and this black lady who had ownership just decided to be the head coach. They had no plays , just 5 guys scattered all over the place and sometimes they would actually move with out the ball but very rarley.

Rochester started the game on a 9-0 run they played most of the bench players for the majority of the game they were up 18 at the half and won by 32 , 102-70 I believe was the final. But that score does Newark Way to much justice , the score easily could have been 160-50 , yes that is how bad it was . Rochester however chose to play there reserves and work through offensive sets ( essentially they used it as a practice )

In the second half after a Newark Express Player had a fast break and dribbled the ball of his leg and it went out of bounds a family of 5 stood up and the father said I have had enough of this **** ( right infront of the children ) and they walked out.

They had a center with a bald head and a heavy build who was about 6'10 and was the only player on the team who actually resembled a basketball player, he however was grossly out of shape and the few minutes that Rochester played thier star post player James " Mook" Reeves he scored right over the top of him and he couldnt even help but chuckle about how easy it was each time. Lazrus simms made a pass in the second half from the other end of the court with 3 Newark Players infront of the Rochester player but they had there heads turned to the ball and he lobbed it in for a layup and he to was laughing and unlike James Mook he didnt try to hide the laughter.

The last 5 minutes it appeared someone told them to do something to keep the fans who stayed from leaving as Keith Friel just stated firing up uncotested three point shots and making them ( yes they decided not to guard him ? ) That got the fans cheering for the first time in about an hour , but the majority of fans around me were talking about getting together to get a refund as the one guy infront of me said " I passed up a high school game for this crap ? " That about summed it up for me as Newark degraded the game to a level below high school basketball.

Thanks to the Newark Express , Rochester lost a good amount of fans who will not be returning this season , for a person whos first game experience was this one could you blame them for not wanting to return ?

I have a feeling Rochester will be on the phone with the ABA Front Office this afternoon wanting some explaining to be done for that team coming to town...........

WHAFAN
01-12-2007, 12:50 PM
Other than the black lady in tight pants and high heels, it sounds like a bust! What would you expect from a hack amateur league like this? These are nothing more than rec league pick-up games. This league lives on the ABA name, like it means something 33 years after the original folded. This not even minor league, this is below that level. I'd rather spend $3.00 at my old high school and watch a game there. At least they always have enough players, the uniforms match, but there are never any hot women coaches in heels.............but still!!

jamesaba
01-12-2007, 01:21 PM
After uptaining a tape of the Rochester vs. Cape Cod game that was on played on Live TV on time warner cable in the Rochester viewing area and seeing what a great game it was and how exciting basketball in Rochester was , I decided to make the trip to Rochester last night for the teams second televised game. However me nor the 2,700 people who showed up were pleased.

Newark showed up with 8 guys who looked like they were picked up off the street minutes before the game , the team was made up of a few low level college players and they had a few players who had no experience but High School Basketball.

The head coach was a Black Lady in high heel boots, dress pants that were 5 sizes to small, Large fake gold ear-rings and a pink shirt later we found out that they had a real head coach with NBA experience who left 3 weeks earlier because he wasent being payed and this black lady who had ownership just decided to be the head coach. They had no plays , just 5 guys scattered all over the place and sometimes they would actually move with out the ball but very rarley.

Rochester started the game on a 9-0 run they played most of the bench players for the majority of the game they were up 18 at the half and won by 32 , 102-70 I believe was the final. But that score does Newark Way to much justice , the score easily could have been 160-50 , yes that is how bad it was . Rochester however chose to play there reserves and work through offensive sets ( essentially they used it as a practice )

In the second half after a Newark Express Player had a fast break and dribbled the ball of his leg and it went out of bounds a family of 5 stood up and the father said I have had enough of this **** ( right infront of the children ) and they walked out.

They had a center with a bald head and a heavy build who was about 6'10 and was the only player on the team who actually resembled a basketball player, he however was grossly out of shape and the few minutes that Rochester played thier star post player James " Mook" Reeves he scored right over the top of him and he couldnt even help but chuckle about how easy it was each time. Lazrus simms made a pass in the second half from the other end of the court with 3 Newark Players infront of the Rochester player but they had there heads turned to the ball and he lobbed it in for a layup and he to was laughing and unlike James Mook he didnt try to hide the laughter.

The last 5 minutes it appeared someone told them to do something to keep the fans who stayed from leaving as Keith Friel just stated firing up uncotested three point shots and making them ( yes they decided not to guard him ? ) That got the fans cheering for the first time in about an hour , but the majority of fans around me were talking about getting together to get a refund as the one guy infront of me said " I passed up a high school game for this crap ? " That about summed it up for me as Newark degraded the game to a level below high school basketball.

Thanks to the Newark Express , Rochester lost a good amount of fans who will not be returning this season , for a person whos first game experience was this one could you blame them for not wanting to return ?

I have a feeling Rochester will be on the phone with the ABA Front Office this afternoon wanting some explaining to be done for that team coming to town...........

(1) First of all, what difference does it make that the coach is a "Black Lady"?? Why emphasize her ethnicity and sex and clothing choice? She doesn't fit into your acceptable parameters for a Head Coach??

Secondly, Marsha Blount is not only the owner of the Express, but she has twenty five (25) years experience as a basketball player AND coach.

Ron Moore, who you claim is a 'real coach with NBA experience' was something like 1 and 7 coaching the Express - so that ain't the problem.

The problem with the Express is that they draw about 70 people to a 3,500 seat arena. As a result, the ownership has significantly cut the budget down from last year in an effort to conserve resources. With such a small budget, they have not been able to attract the caliber of players that they had last season when they hovered around .500. I would imagine they either don't practice or practice less frequently than last year.

(2) I doubt those comments were said all around you. Usually when the home team is winning even if the opponent isn't good, the crowd is happy. Those people will come back Saturday for Vermont or Monday for Cape Cod...I can see them skipping the next time Newark comes.

(3) This post really makes you look like a moron. After all the crap about how terrible the Pittsburgh Xplosion are - they too would beat the pants off the Express! They would probably beat Rochester. So you just, once again proved the point of your detractors, by being all 'rah, rah, rah' about the ABA and now changing your tune.

preeths
01-12-2007, 01:38 PM
Easy, because of ABA06er's past posts, I tend to give a little more credence to his report on what happened. You may not agree, but let's not make it personal. I hope we all know that race and gender make no difference in coaching ability, but a 30-plus point blowout in these circumstances will lead to questions about both coaching and ownership.

WHAFAN
01-12-2007, 01:39 PM
Jamesaba, you just summarized the pathetic state of this entire league. Cutting expenses to conserve resources. There are no resources. With 70 people in the crowd, slashing the coaches salary is the most amateurish, hack manuever there can be. 90% of these owners have little or no money to do anything. Apparently, if you've ever owned a hot dog stand you qualify as ownership material. Half of these country bumpkins probably mortgaged their homes to pay Uncle Joe the $15K opening nut, now have nothing but lint in both pockets. If your stupid enough to fall for this sham of a league, you deserve to get railroaded out of town. The ABA is pathetic. Teams folding, other teams taking over for teams mid season, no one can afford to travel, cancelled games, postponed games, no stats, out of date websites......are you kidding me? Does anyone take this seriously? The only people making money with this nonsense are Uncle Joe, and his family members ( I mean ABA staff ). The ABA is prostituting the old image of the ABA. If it weren't for those 3 letters, no one would have ever heard of these nitwits. Even a prostitute will kiss you as long as you keep paying her.

bdaly
01-12-2007, 02:07 PM
She filled in as the coach for a game last season, so I have no problem with Ms. Blount coaching. But, Newark was a pretty good team last year that always carried a full line up. So they looked like a team that has cut back on spending and may not return.

The good news is we've seen signicantly less games like that this year; the Montreal game was the only other one. There were a lot more games last year where the Sharks stopped playing defense and turned it into a dunk competition so the fans would remain entertained and the score wouldn't get out of hand.

But, we've seen it before last year, and I doubt they lost many fans. The ABA does need to minimize those issues though, as having 8 or 9 guys dressed never looks good. It may have contributed to it being the second smallest crowd of the year in Rochester though at 2,700.

BreakersFan
01-12-2007, 02:27 PM
(1) First of all, what difference does it make that the coach is a "Black Lady"?? Why emphasize her ethnicity and sex and clothing choice? She doesn't fit into your acceptable parameters for a Head Coach??

Secondly, Marsha Blount is not only the owner of the Express, but she has twenty five (25) years experience as a basketball player AND coach.

Ron Moore, who you claim is a 'real coach with NBA experience' was something like 1 and 7 coaching the Express - so that ain't the problem.

The problem with the Express is that they draw about 70 people to a 3,500 seat arena. As a result, the ownership has significantly cut the budget down from last year in an effort to conserve resources. With such a small budget, they have not been able to attract the caliber of players that they had last season when they hovered around .500. I would imagine they either don't practice or practice less frequently than last year.

(2) I doubt those comments were said all around you. Usually when the home team is winning even if the opponent isn't good, the crowd is happy. Those people will come back Saturday for Vermont or Monday for Cape Cod...I can see them skipping the next time Newark comes.

(3) This post really makes you look like a moron. After all the crap about how terrible the Pittsburgh Xplosion are - they too would beat the pants off the Express! They would probably beat Rochester. So you just, once again proved the point of your detractors, by being all 'rah, rah, rah' about the ABA and now changing your tune.

I agree with James' first point: anyone's ethnicity is irrelevant. But I disgree with his third point. We all were ABA cheerleaders at some point. Then we began to see it for what it is. ABA06er has lost his ABA innocence, that's all. Sooner or later, you will too. It is inevitable.

Sam Hill
01-12-2007, 06:39 PM
Other than the black lady in tight pants and high heels, it sounds like a bust!

Who said anything about her bust?

The problem with the Express is that they draw about 70 people to a 3,500 seat arena. As a result, the ownership has significantly cut the budget down from last year in an effort to conserve resources.

I guess they don't figure that....sales and marketing...or something like that...might actually bring in revenue that they could use as resources?

Just sayin'.

psbf
01-12-2007, 07:38 PM
I remember the model that the Newark Express was last season. Their turnout numbers were never given, but their venue seated around 3,000(if I recall right). I've not heard as much about them this year, but I find it hard to believe that things have gotten so bad for them, as was mentioned above. I feel that it's good to see Newark have a team.

jamesaba
01-12-2007, 09:59 PM
I remember the model that the Newark Express was last season. Their turnout numbers were never given, but their venue seated around 3,000(if I recall right). I've not heard as much about them this year, but I find it hard to believe that things have gotten so bad for them, as was mentioned above. I feel that it's good to see Newark have a team.

Last year they had a tv crew following their team around and their coach was Darryl Dawkins. I believe they thought that the documentary would result in a big payday. When that didn't pan out they lost Dawkins. They probably felt better investing cash into the team last year with the prospects of a windfall if someone bought their show, but now its just the ticket sales and them. They got 70 people per game last year which seems to be the same as this year.

psbf
01-13-2007, 01:01 AM
I think the tv crew sounds like too much of a gamble. Maybe a team like Rochester can do that with their market. But I would have just stuck with ads in print. They have to go with the size of their market and limit themselves to what they can afford.

bdaly
01-13-2007, 01:16 AM
Actually, that show did air on ESPN2, albeit real late. They documented the playoff game in Rochester. The show was 2 Live Stews.

I'm sure they hoped it would generate more local interest. But, obviously, it didn't work out. I think they've tried to do things the right way, but it doesn't look like it's destined to pan out. So, sadly, the wheels are probably starting to fall off.

skipster
01-13-2007, 04:18 PM
I think the tv crew sounds like too much of a gamble. Maybe a team like Rochester can do that with their market. But I would have just stuck with ads in print. They have to go with the size of their market and limit themselves to what they can afford.

Actually, Newark is a bigger market than Rochester.

Newark population: 273,546
http://www.city-data.com/city/Newark-New-Jersey.html

Rochester population: 219,773
http://www.city-data.com/city/Rochester-New-York.html

It's all about management/marketing. Every single day I read a newspaper published in Newark, and I have never ever seen an ad for the Express.

psbf
01-13-2007, 08:29 PM
I don't know what the Express average attendence was last year or is this season, but I would think that placing a mention in the paper would be a lot more affordable, than using a film crew, regardless of what media the crew is from. Spending money wisely is important for the future. imo

psbf
01-14-2007, 12:02 PM
Sorry, Jamesaba, I just noticed that you said that the Express only averaged about 70 as a turnout average last season. Do you have any stats to back that up? I would have thought they were averaging much more, considering they made it so far into the playoffs(sorry for the delayed response. I've been having computer problems).

panchess
01-14-2007, 04:45 PM
..as so are city population and market area.

Rochester's metropolitan area population is about 1 million.

Newark is in the middle of the New York City metropolitan area, with about 23 million people, about 5 million of which are in Jersey.

Both are plenty big enough to support an ABA team, but it is really hard to break through the media in NYC. So many teams, so little space.

Sam Hill
01-14-2007, 06:05 PM
I don't know what the Express average attendence was last year or is this season, but I would think that placing a mention in the paper would be a lot more affordable, than using a film crew, regardless of what media the crew is from. Spending money wisely is important for the future. imo

If you don't spend money on advertising, you definitely save money.

You also don't generate money.

Which is the point of advertising.

Spending money now is important now AND for the future. You don't HAVE a future if you fold because you only got 70 people to come to games.

Besides advertising, ABA teams fark up by not devoting resources to having people actually SELLING tickets. They just open the doors and hope people show up.

heavesrock
01-15-2007, 10:02 PM
Take a look at these vids and guess for yourselves on attendance: http://fromourseats.com/

psbf
01-16-2007, 12:12 AM
First, Paunchess, I drove by Newark when I moved here from Long Island. I'm sure the city has grown in the last 20 years. But when I last saw, the N.J. city looked nothing like Rochester(which I've only seen pics of).

Also, as far as the advertising Sam(I think)I was talking in terms of affordable advertising. You can still get fans attention without spending a fortune.

sportsguy12
01-16-2007, 06:08 AM
who cares. Newark will fade off into oblivion after the season (if they make it that far). Alexander Wolff will grow tired of writing columns about Vermont beating or losing to Rochester every game (because everyone else has folded) and Montreal only plays Quebec (and soon) and Halifax) because Uncle Joe didn't pay for their work visas to cross the border.

panchess
01-16-2007, 09:10 AM
..so does Minneapolis, Little Rock and Fresno.

What that has to do with supporting a basketball team, I have no clue.

bdaly
01-16-2007, 10:41 AM
I think Newark tried to do all the right things last year. So, I feel bad for them as they gave it an honest effort. Unfortunately, in a large market, it's a real battle. The mainstream media isn't going to pay much attention unless you can attract the attention of a more local paper. It's difficult, and unless you can really appeal to the very local community, it's going to be a loss. Newark tried to do the right things, and Strong Island still is. I hope the Sound can make it work as they were a class organization at the Great Eight. Now, Brooklyn was obviously a different story.... Generally speaking, leagues like the CBA and ABA would be much better off in cities where it's easier to break through in the media and gain the community's attention.

jamesaba
01-16-2007, 10:49 AM
Sorry, Jamesaba, I just noticed that you said that the Express only averaged about 70 as a turnout average last season. Do you have any stats to back that up? I would have thought they were averaging much more, considering they made it so far into the playoffs(sorry for the delayed response. I've been having computer problems).

I've been to 6 or 7 Newark games in the last two seasons so my observation was 70 fans...sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more.

You can go to www.fromourseats.com which is a fan site for Newark and they have streaming videos of recent games, and you can see the empty bleachers for yourself.

They did not make it that far in the playoffs. If I'm not mistaken they won one game and then got blown out at Rochester.

Winning alone does not translate to fans. The Indiana AlleyCats were #1 most of last season and their crowd was in the low hundreds. Strong Island won 10 in a row to end the season and made it to the Final 4 and their crowd is less than a 100. And I believe Newark was at or below .500 last year.

ABA06er
01-16-2007, 10:53 AM
In the ABA unless you are loaded with $$$ like Rochester , your best chance of sucess is to move into a small market where you will be the main draw or in some cases the only draw. I believe it was the Corning expansion franchise who had shots taken at them for moving into a small market, then the next day they had local media coverage all over the area because they are the only thing to write about in Corning, NY. Will they be a sucess ? Maybe , Maybe not .... but they started out with the right idea.......

jamesaba
01-16-2007, 10:58 AM
who cares. Newark will fade off into oblivion after the season (if they make it that far). Alexander Wolff will grow tired of writing columns about Vermont beating or losing to Rochester every game (because everyone else has folded) and Montreal only plays Quebec (and soon) and Halifax) because Uncle Joe didn't pay for their work visas to cross the border.

A little dramatic don't you think? Vermont has only played Rochester twice and hasn't had any problem with any other games - they've had plenty of variety of opponents. Cape Cod, Strong Island, Montreal, Quebec, Buffalo, Newark, Maryland, Vermont, Rochester have all played all their road and home games. Vermont has also had Chicago travel to play them and next month Hollywood is coming.

What does "Uncle Joe" have to do with Canadian work visas???

Alot of people care including the fans of the teams, the players, the staff, and many more who are interested in great, grass roots basketball despite the mistakes made at the league level. You obviously care enough to monitor the "ABA forum"!

Now that "Uncle Joe" is on his way out and a Board of Directors are on their way in, change is in the air.

AConcernedCitizen
01-20-2007, 03:23 AM
I wonder if people here who slam the ABA slam it because they think it is pretending to be a major league or because they hate Joe. Newark is a great market on paper. But anyone who has lived in northern NJ will tell you that Newark has no identity of its own. People who live there are saturated with good basketball in the Nets and the Knicks, not to mention Seton Hall who play their Big East games in the Meadowlands. It's not a good market to get media attention either. It has no TV of its own, the press is NYC, the Star Ledger I'm not sure anyone reads.

You need to pick a market that has nothing or very little. Rochester is a great market for any minor league team, as has been known for years. It seems fairly clear that any team that has failed so far has been in or near a market with serious competition from the highest level.

If that is Joe's mistake, it's a legit one. However, do you consistently turn down applications from people willing to try a big market? Big markets are what will lure the national media and that lures investors.

Perhaps the ABA should own a few teams itself and put them in the big market cities and fund those with real marketing efforts.

The teams that win in any minor league are those that engage the community because that community has no other focal point from a sporting point of view.

A lot of perspective owners forget that when they opt for big markets because they think they can be different and not fail like the others.

What Alex has done has been to find a market starved of winter professional sport and is making a decent fist of it.

If he consistently puts a good team on the court in a division with stability (read: no Newark's) after a few years his sponsorship revenue will be 2x his ticket sales and merch and the future looks good.

Newark is a very bad story, and how it hurt Rochester as detailed above had never ocurred to me before. It's true: having a team of rejects turn up in the ABA's best market and absolutely damage the best team's reputation is a very serious issue. There will be fans dismayed by paying real money for such a mess. However, a good front office like Rochester will have a direct relationship with its fans and the fans will understand. Once. Twice...maybe a few more times, but not forever.

I think the person who started this post pointed out a few serious and relevant issue. Focusing on the other less well communicated points of his post is pointless. His theme needs addressing.

sportsguy12
01-20-2007, 09:11 AM
I wonder if people here who slam the ABA slam it because they think it is pretending to be a major league or because they hate Joe. Newark is a great market on paper. But anyone who has lived in northern NJ will tell you that Newark has no identity of its own. People who live there are saturated with good basketball in the Nets and the Knicks, not to mention Seton Hall who play their Big East games in the Meadowlands. It's not a good market to get media attention either. It has no TV of its own, the press is NYC, the Star Ledger I'm not sure anyone reads.

You need to pick a market that has nothing or very little. Rochester is a great market for any minor league team, as has been known for years. It seems fairly clear that any team that has failed so far has been in or near a market with serious competition from the highest level.

they take any market. They don't use any discretion when selecting a market. If you have enough $$$ to pay the reservation fee and no one owns it, then it's yours. That's the problem. They don't look if the market is viable, telling the prospective owner, "Hey, maybe that's not the best place to put a team because so and so is already there, etc."

And here's a thought. The ABA might add, "Maybe instead of putting a team here (in a city like Newark), you might be more successful in this city (and actually suggest a place).

But they don't and that's why teams continue to flounder and flounder and flounder.

The ABA is not a professional league. Professional basketball league use standard business practices from all of its teams, not just a few.

I think the hatred you mention is actually more disgust that these practices continually take place year after year after year. And Joe, who is ultimately responsible for the league's actions, allows it to happen and is also a benefactor. The team owners, who find that they have been screwed by Joe or feel cheated or slighted by him, then turn around and screw any coaches/players, arenas, sponsors or vendors who's services they have contracted for. That is the real shame-that honest people who actually put in a hard days work are not being paid by these owners. You couldn't pay me to support the ABA because of its antics. You can't separate the Rochesters and Vermonts from the rest. They belong to the ABA and allow it to continue. The good (honest) teams should step aside and find a new league or form their own.

psbf
01-20-2007, 09:53 AM
In reading the posts, I think people have their own definition of what 'professional' is. No matter what shape a league is in, teams that pay their players are professionals. The owners who reneg, they are pretenders(regardless of their intentions). Potential owners should be doing their homework first before deciding to add a team. This includes making sure they have enough finances to cover all of the expenses(including paying players).
As far as Newark, I think they deserve a team, while eveyone is entitled to their view. As I've stated, I hope they survive. But, as was mentioned, they don't have the media market since they are generally considered to be part of N.Y.C.(despite being in N.J. they are in the shadow of the Big Apple). When I look at the size of a city, that tells me what kind of media market they have. I've always felt that the best way to get opinions from fans is to conduct a survey about your intentions first. It will give the owner an idea of what to expect.

psbf
01-20-2007, 09:56 AM
I think a better word than professional league, would be one that is more organized. tmo

rams80
01-20-2007, 11:32 AM

If that is Joe's mistake, it's a legit one. However, do you consistently turn down applications from people willing to try a big market? Big markets are what will lure the national media and that lures investors.

Perhaps the ABA should own a few teams itself and put them in the big market cities and fund those with real marketing efforts.

The teams that win in any minor league are those that engage the community because that community has no other focal point from a sporting point of view.

A lot of perspective owners forget that when they opt for big markets because they think they can be different and not fail like the others.

What Alex has done has been to find a market starved of winter professional sport and is making a decent fist of it.

If he consistently puts a good team on the court in a division with stability (read: no Newark's) after a few years his sponsorship revenue will be 2x his ticket sales and merch and the future looks good.

Newark is a very bad story, and how it hurt Rochester as detailed above had never ocurred to me before. It's true: having a team of rejects turn up in the ABA's best market and absolutely damage the best team's reputation is a very serious issue. There will be fans dismayed by paying real money for such a mess. However, a good front office like Rochester will have a direct relationship with its fans and the fans will understand. Once. Twice...maybe a few more times, but not forever.

I think the person who started this post pointed out a few serious and relevant issue. Focusing on the other less well communicated points of his post is pointless. His theme needs addressing.

The ABA has failed both in markets that have little competition and those that have major league competition.

It comes down to ownership, marketing, on court success, and being able to get a good combination of those factors that work in your own market (there is no magic A marketing + B stability + C winning = D support equation).

Again, as others have stated, our biggest concerns with the ABA is the utter disgust at an organization that seemingly refuses to learn from its own (massive) mistakes.

sportsguy12
01-20-2007, 02:39 PM
Again, as others have stated, our biggest concerns with the ABA is the utter disgust at an organization that seemingly refuses to learn from its own (massive) mistakes.

this is my point exactly.

sportsguy12
01-20-2007, 02:42 PM
A little dramatic don't you think? Vermont has only played Rochester twice and hasn't had any problem with any other games - they've had plenty of variety of opponents. Cape Cod, Strong Island, Montreal, Quebec, Buffalo, Newark, Maryland, Vermont, Rochester have all played all their road and home games. Vermont has also had Chicago travel to play them and next month Hollywood is coming.

What does "Uncle Joe" have to do with Canadian work visas???

Alot of people care including the fans of the teams, the players, the staff, and many more who are interested in great, grass roots basketball despite the mistakes made at the league level. You obviously care enough to monitor the "ABA forum"!

Now that "Uncle Joe" is on his way out and a Board of Directors are on their way in, change is in the air.

you have to have documentation or paperwork.

Maybe that Eastern pocket of teams and the Western cluster should break off and form its own league. Because almost everything between has turned into one big mess. Who said Joe is on his way out? I'm sure he's not taking his hand out of the cookie jar.

skipster
01-20-2007, 07:17 PM
The Star-Ledger is one of the 20 widest circulating newspapers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_States_by_circula tion) in the US. Sells nearly 600,000 copies a day. The Express might want to consider running an ad in it.

As a long time resident of northern New Jersey, I would agree that things here are centered on New York City. Plenty of major league teams around to grab interest, but on the other hand, for example, several minor league baseball teams have made a go of it. They may not be profitable, but they do manage to draw in the low thousands. The Newark Bears (Atlantic League) run ads in the Ledger all the time.

Curious to know if anyone here can cite an example of the Express advertising.

The biggest problem the Express has is the perception that downtown Newark is a "no-go" area. Been that way since the riots in the 60's. The city has been on the rebound in recent years, but it's still not thought of as being a place to go to. Hence the need to advertise.

sportsguy12
01-20-2007, 08:30 PM
The Star-Ledger is one of the 20 widest circulating newspapers (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_the_United_States_by_circula tion) in the US. Sells nearly 600,000 copies a day. The Express might want to consider running an ad in it.

As a long time resident of northern New Jersey, I would agree that things here are centered on New York City. Plenty of major league teams around to grab interest, but on the other hand, for example, several minor league baseball teams have made a go of it. They may not be profitable, but they do manage to draw in the low thousands. The Newark Bears (Atlantic League) run ads in the Ledger all the time.

Curious to know if anyone here can cite an example of the Express advertising.

The biggest problem the Express has is the perception that downtown Newark is a "no-go" area. Been that way since the riots in the 60's. The city has been on the rebound in recent years, but it's still not thought of as being a place to go to. Hence the need to advertise.

If they shell out $$$ and the games are cancelled or not played, then what have they achieved. When's the last time an Atlantic League team didn't show for a game ... never. The ABA is a different breed ... hopefully one that will soon become extinct.

psbf
01-20-2007, 08:49 PM
I don't know if you share this form of advertising, but I have visited the N.E. website, which has links to their sponsors, who in turn have links to the Express. If you're speaking of adds, that I can't tell you. But any form of getting the word out is good, I think.