PDA

View Full Version : Montreal Machine Vs CFL

Herk
03-23-2004, 12:37 PM
If the Machine were in the CFL in 1992 and 1991 how would they have finished? Was there team better or worse than your average CFL team?

Big Chris
03-23-2004, 06:44 PM
It depends,

If the Machine team of 1991 and 1992 came into the CFL intact the way the Sacramento Surge, (who became the Gold Miners in the CFL,) did then they would have not fared well at all. In fact the transplanted Machine would have been lucky to win 4 games all year in either year. (Winnipeg and Toronto were virtually untouchable in those years in the East division and would have had their way with them.)

If Montreal simply obtained an expansion franchise it would have been a different story. I think a new team would have been like what the Ottawa Renegades have been since their arrival in 2002. Steady improvemend on the field.

The question is weather or not the fans would have embraced them or not. I think since it was so soon after the second attempt at the Alouettes crashed and burned that the fans wouldn't have embraced CFL football yet. The CFL waited until the time was right to bring football back to Montreal and you can't argue with the success they have had in the last 6 years on and off the field.

Jeremy
03-23-2004, 08:52 PM
However, really I wonder how the Als would have been if they would not have moved into Molson Stadium....heck the Big O when they first returned they were getting only 10,000 fans (looked alot like the Argos) but the move downtown really helped them with their fanbase. So, I have been wondering if they would have waited out in the BigO if they would be able to get the numbers they are getting now?

Big Chris
03-27-2004, 05:37 PM
Molson Stadium wasn't in any condition to be used in 1993. Another problem was that Montreal's fanbase for football wasn't built up just yet. (This was when the frankaphone community was just beginning to embrace football, but it was years away from being big enough to sustain a CFL team again.) Montreal fans are also very fickle, (ask the Expos,) and if the Machine, a bad WLAF team went into the CFL and stunk up the joint the way Sacramento, (the World Bowl champs the year they went into the CFL,) they would have been lucky to draw any fans at all. That would have killed Montreal for the CFL forever.

I think the way it actually happened was the best thing for the city and the CFL as a whole.