PDA

View Full Version : Winter League Full?

Pietsch Fan
12-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Anyone know if the Winter League has filled up yet? I noticed somewhere (I'm old, don't ask me to recall where) :) that instead of saying "first 100 players" it's now calling out for between "80-100" players.

I have a couple of friends who are planning on making the trek from San Diego to Yuma for a weekend. If I thought I could sneak in, I might go, too, but I just can't bring myself to hand money over to the GBL for tickets. Not yet, anyway. Now concessions, there I'm good. I don't seem to have a problem giving my money to anyone for food. :)

jd_aka_monty
12-28-2006, 03:51 PM
I believe this is where you might have seen the statement made by Kevin Outcalt, "80 to 100 players between four teams".

http://sun.yumasun.com/artman/publish/articles/story_28884.php

My understanding is that there are already more than 80 players registered to play. The response has been much better than I believe many had thought it would be. You know I'll be going out there for a little. Garry and I will probably be there the second weekend, then perhaps for one other. Hope we will also be able to help in some way shape or form.

L8er

Monty

GBLCommish
12-29-2006, 12:57 AM
Hi Mary,

Jon's right, AWL registrations are going better than expected. Hard to know what the demand would be in the first year, but the maximum the league would take is 100, the minimun needed is 60 (7 inning doubleheader game lengths and every Monday off makes it easier on the pitching staffs) and 80 would probably be the optimum for four teams from player's and manager's perspectives to maximize playing time for everybody.

Here's a breakdown of the current numbers, but it is increasing daily:

- 93 players on the active registration list
- 67 of those confirmed (we screen for experience level and then approve before they can make their deposit and are guaranteed a spot -- we're working through the unconfirmed list daily, five more registrations came in today, for example)
- 29 players denied due to lack of experience or recent experience (requiring collegiate or minor league experience in the registration has generally kept the applicant pool at a very good skill level).

Some other fun AWL player facts: The average age is 23.8 years old, 25 players have minor league experience and the rest have college or international with a few younger players just out of high school - college wasn't for them for a variety of reasons. Of note, there are three players with AAA experience, a 3rd round pick of the Yankees, a 3rd round pick of the Padres, 3 players from Japan, 3 from Canada, a Dominican Republic 21 year old who's fastball has been clocked as high as 97 mph, and 5 players under contract with other Indy Leagues that want to get ready for next season and have a chance to show their stuff. In general, these are players not under pro contracts and are looking for an opportunity - thus not a lot of current GBL players. But there are two former Surf Dawgs registered -- Kevin Spaulding and Will Henderson.

The biggest problem is that we are a bit light on pitching in the position mix,so for the next two and a half weeks the focus will be adding pitchers to round out the roster pool.

As far as your ticket needs, there is no ticket charge for yourself and any Surf Dawgs Booster Club members for as many AWL games as you'd like to see. It's the least we can do after all we've received from you guys in San Diego the last two years -- plus we'll make it up on your concession purchases! So come on out and enjoy the great Yuma winter weather, just send me an email before any games you'd like to attend and I'll have tickets left at Will Call.

Thanks for the interest in the AWL!

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
AWL/GBL

Pietsch Fan
12-29-2006, 09:44 AM
Hi Mary,

As far as your ticket needs, there is no ticket charge for yourself and any Surf Dawgs Booster Club members for as many AWL games as you'd like to see. It's the least we can do after all we've received from you guys in San Diego the last two years -- plus we'll make it up on your concession purchases! So come on out and enjoy the great Yuma winter weather, just send me an email before any games you'd like to attend and I'll have tickets left at Will Call.

Thanks for the interest in the AWL!

Best Regards,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
AWL/GBL

Ah, now you're making it nearly impossible for us *not* to come :) Good luck with the pitchers hunt. I'll be in touch.

Mary

DawgsBooster2
12-29-2006, 11:19 AM
Ah, now you're making it nearly impossible for us *not* to come :) Good luck with the pitchers hunt. I'll be in touch.

Mary

Yah she will, as just this morning she was looking at my son's basketball schedule trying to figure out which weekend we can come out! LOL

Baseball, did someone say baseball?

Can't. Keep. Away. From. Baseball.

It's our kryptonite.