PDA

View Full Version : leagues

agc7528
03-22-2004, 07:28 PM
The ABA is growing quickly. How do you think the league should pass themselves off to fans? Should they try to use the differences to their benefit or should they try to focus on the former and future nba players they have. do you think their should be a large minor league team either from merged leagues, a new league, or an expanded nbdl. it seems to me that kind of a league would benefit the most, but the nbdl is very small and no other leagues are trying to pass themselves off that way.

statman77
04-04-2004, 11:32 PM
I think the ABA should challenge the NBA for tv and radio and have a draft and get the former NBA player as coaches and owners.

CRUSADERSFAN
04-06-2004, 11:09 AM
The league does not have the means to compete with the NBA. However, I think the league should go back to doing what they did at the beginning. Have a higher salary cap, and outlaw call-ups, instead having contract buy-outs. The league could probably get a TV deal with a small network like PAX, but I doubt theyll hook up with a larger network than that.

Pounder
04-06-2004, 02:36 PM
It doesn't matter how the ABA "passes themselves off."

The first focus should be on actually completing the scheduling they've drawn up, with the teams in generally the same place as when they started the season.

No TV network is going to touch this league until then, AND until they show they can actually claim credible attendance numbers... and, for that matter, substantial attendance (there's a reason the CBA doesn't get any air).

Problem is, for this league to work, it either must have a TV network that pays it hard cash money (PAX apparently didn't have to do that with WUSA, and it certainly didn't help either party- PAX doesn't strike me as an option), or it must REGIONALIZE. See the bus league, be the bus league.

Not like I'm going to help, anyway. As a radio hack in the town I park my rump in says, "I want all the resources." I want the CBA to succeed more than the ABA, I suppose. Well, even more preferable, I want my TrailBlazers and all the other NBA teams to start Euro-style reserve programs and kill school ball dead- it's not like I can't dream unrealistic dreams like the ABA brass does.