PDA

View Full Version : York Revs Coaching Staff...not too shabby

ACsurfan
12-21-2006, 02:44 PM
Yup...I'm impressed. If you know anytrhing about Baltimore Orioles baseball history, the staff is readily recognizable.

In the Atlantic League, recruiting is very important. By this measure, York might have an outside shot at reaching .500 in 2007. But, it's a long shot.
See the first year Lancaster BarnStormers and Camden RiverSharks inaugural records.

vojg
12-23-2006, 05:10 PM
Those guys are pretty impressive. I think it was a good move by the owners to get some Oriole flavor for the jobs. However, does having those kinds of names really affect attendance? Do you think more people will come out to the games in York just because of the coaches? I don't know the answer to that. Hopefully. Also, let's hope that they will be able to coach well. I believe that they can. Between them, we're looking at 3 decades of Oriole baseball, and that can't be bad. I know that inaugural seasons are always pretty tough, as far as wins/losses go. So, let's hope that the name recognition is a nice touch to a winning season. Even though Ryan Minor has the least impressive MLB stats out of the bunch, he has the only ATL experience, so he's going to be a huge asset to that team.

Duckfan
12-23-2006, 06:46 PM
The answer is yes. Big names on the coaching staff will draw fans. They are the only names the fans are likely to recognize and give an air of legitimacy to the team. In the Atlantic League they're the only constant . The players change from week to week.
York has a very good chance of having a respectable year because of that fact. Everyone, new teams and old teams alike, starts out fresh in April. Few players from last year will return. If a team was good(or bad) last year it doesn't mean they'll be good(or bad) this year. What makes the biggest difference is the ability of the GM and the coaching staff to evaluate and sign players. Matt O'Brien is an excellent GM. He was the Duck's first GM and they had the best overall record in the league their first season(2000). They didn't make the playoffs because of a quirk in the rules that has since been corrected but they had a great inaugural season. Ryan Minor is a top notch coach. He did a terrific job with the Road Warriors last year. We'll see how good the rest of the staff is in September.

vojg
12-24-2006, 11:38 PM
I didn't know that about O'Brien, the GM. Maybe the Revolution has a good shot at a playoff spot. Here's a question that maybe you can answer for me: What's the salary cap in the Atlantic League? Is there a maximum salary that one player can get? Also, how does the expansion draft work? York might be in a good situation with all of these variables working for them, with the good coaching staff, good GM, and an expansion draft. I'm relatively new to the ATL, so I'm pretty fascinated by it all.
Thanks.

Duckfan
12-25-2006, 02:00 AM
There is no official "salary cap" in the Atlantic League. The maximum salary for players is currently $3000 a month. Few players get that much and most get a great deal less. The players in the Atlantic League are not there to make money. They are there to get exposure. The vast majority of them have experience in Major League organizations. Many of them have even played at the Major League level. For one reason or another (usually age or injury) they have been cut by the Major League oganizations but they aren't ready to give up the dream. They play in the Atlantic League to show those teams that they still have it and that the team made a mistake when they cut them. The Atlantic League has had tremendous success in the past in getting players back to Major League organizations. The players know that and that's why they're willing to work for peanuts.
Unfortunately, the salary level is the reason why few players play more than a year in the Atlantic League and why the "expansion draft" is usually an exercize in futility. The player may be on the roster but they're not coming back. Very few can afford to work for that type of pay for more than a year. There have been some guys who have played several years (I think one guy did 7) but they're few and far between.
Don't expect much in the expansion draft. Most of the players you will see on the Revolution's roster on opening day will be guys who were recently released by Major League organizations. The Atlantic League doesn't hold a free agent draft so it's kind of a free for all. Most of the teams also hold open tryouts just prior to the beginning of spring training (late April). The AL doesn't have to beat the bushes too hard to find players. These guys all have agents and they're more than happy to get them signed in the AL. A typical AL roster will have a few guys with Major League experience (guys you've heard of) and a smattering of guys with roots in the local community(for local flavor). The rest will be made up of career minor leaguers.
I don't know what you know about the Minor Leagues but it's generally accepted that there are two types of players in the Minors. There are phenoms and fill-ins. The phenoms are the guys with a guaranteed ticket to the big leagues. All they need is a little experience. The fill-ins are there to give the phenoms someone to play with while they develop their skills. The Major League teams do not expect the fill-ins to make it to the show. They may be pitchers with mechanical or control problems , batters who can't hit a low inside curveball or who are a step slow in getting to first. That doesn't mean these guys aren't very good players and aren't entertaining to watch. Those fill-ins make up the bulk of the players in the Atlantic League.
If you've been to an Atlantic League game, you're in for a pleasant surprise. Just remember that you're in York and not Camden Yards. You're going to see a great deal of Major League level play but you're also going to see some Minor League bone head errors. Remember also that you will not be traveling 100 miles to see a game and you won't be paying Major League prices either. What you're really going to find different (besides your excellent seats) will be the attitude of the players. Every single one of them will go out of their way to talk to you and give you an autograph.
It's a great way to enjoy a summer evening. A ballgame, a bag of nuts and a cold beer. What more could any man ask for.

vojg
12-26-2006, 01:20 PM
Thanks for all the info. I've been to a few AL games over the past few years and the talent level varied. Went to a Barnstormers/Bears game and it was terrible. Actually, the bullpen was terrible. But that kind of makes sense, since bullpen guys are usually former starters who couldn't make it as starters; couple that with the fact that those guys were probably just there to fill in the roster for pitching, and both teams used about 7 pitchers each... it was just a bad night. However, I've also seen a Ducks/Sharks game that was brilliant. Great pitching, great defense, all around great game. I'm very interested to see what Tippy does for the Revolution pitching staff. From what I remember from his playing days, not only was he a decent pitcher, but a quality person as well. Have you noticed how much of a difference a pitching coach can make in the AL? Somewhat? Huge impact? No impact?
Thanks again, DuckFan... you are a fountain of knowledge.

Duckfan
12-26-2006, 08:15 PM
VOJG,
You're spot on about Atlantic League pitching. The Major League clubs aren't as quick to give up on pitchers as they are with position players. All you have to do is check the Major League rosters and count the guys who are 40+ ,making $10 million a year with a 4.57 ERA. There is always a shortage of good pitching. In the AL it's more common to see a 11-10 game than a 1-0 game. It's just the nature of the beast.
A good pitching coach can make a difference, but it's a different job than a coach in organized baseball. It's also more important to have a good deal of experience. It may be Independent ball but it's not a good spot for a rookie coach. In the AL, a pitching coach's job is to evaluate talent and to identify correctible problems. An example would be a pitcher who has suffered a career threatening injury. An AL coach must determine if he's still got it, what he's doing wrong and find a way to correct it. Keep in mind the the Major League club has already determined that he doesn't have it any more and he's not worth any more effort on their part. The only problem is that when the the AL pitching coach is right, does a good job with him and Major League clubs see him doing well in the AL, they snap him up and the AL club is left with a hole in it's roster. In the Duck's Championship year Dave LaPoint almost killed us. He did such a good job with the pitching staff that half of them, the best ones,of course, signed with Major League organizations half way through the season. Fortunately for us, Dave also inspired great loyalty in these guys and most of them came back at the end of the Triple A season(It ends Sept 1) to help the Ducks win the Championship. We would have been sunk without them. I know it's counter intuitive, but there are times when a great coach can really hurt you.