PDA

View Full Version : NFL Europe

Jeremy
03-20-2004, 03:51 AM
Well, guess there will not be much on NFL Europe this year in normal households. The only televised info listed is NFL Network which I have yet to see cable providers have that network (besides DirecTV) I could see the NFL wanting to promote their network but there are other fans out there that dont get it and stupid cable company wont add it.

Magnum357
03-28-2004, 01:32 AM
What??? Isn't Fox going to have one of their networks at least televise a game per week? I don't mind the idea of a NFL network, but my own TV dish provider has no intentions of getting that network. :x

I thought Fox still has a deal too televise games though.

Sykotyk
03-28-2004, 12:17 PM
Well, they haven't announced who will be airing the World Bowl.

Sykotyk

shads
03-30-2004, 02:32 PM
So far, NFL Europe coverage is only on Directv and the NFL Channel. You can view the schedule at directvsports.com, under nfl sunday ticket. There are 8? games I think that are not listed for coverage. I'm going to take a guess and say the last 3 weeks of the season, FOX will televise a game as well as the world bowl. as for the other 5? i dunno. I emailed them and have gotten no response. So who knows whether it'll be fox or fox sports net or someother network.

Magnum357
04-02-2004, 01:53 AM
Well that kinda sucks. I mean last year, I thought I read that NFLE pulled at least a 1.0 on neilson ratings (at least for the season opener). If this is true, that is not THAt bad for a football minor league.

Well, I hope at least the league will have webcasts of some sort.

shads
04-03-2004, 11:49 AM
I was right. The NFL Europe US TV sched has been released. The last 3 weeks of the season, FOX is televising a game and the world bowl. and w/ directv, nfl chan, fox we will see all 3 games each week starting w/ week 6. However, the 1st 5 weeks of the season, only 2 games are covered between nfl chan & directv. so we will miss 5 games...*shrug*

Magnum357
04-03-2004, 03:21 PM
Ya, sort of sucks not being able too watch most of the games. But the NFLE website has a nice Gamestate page where you can keep up with the game play by play. Very nice feature for us that can't see the game on TV.

Just got down reading the Amsterdam versus Frankfurt game. Look forward too reading the two games tommorow.

Jeremy
04-03-2004, 09:17 PM
I wonder if no longer being on FSN is due to Fox not wanting to do it anymore. I can't see why that 3rd game of each week could not be on FSN instead of nothign at all. I am curious if this was a Fox choice or NFL choice. I guess it wouldn't surprise me if it was the NFL, they want it only on their network (but that's ok since alot of the country doesn't get the NFL Network anyways). Way to go NFL!!! Way to promote your product!!!!

I used to be a big follower of the NFLE, but I guess if the NFL doesn't care if anybody sees it or not, I guess I don't care either anymore. Don't get me wrong, I will watch the whole 4 games I get to see this year, woohoo!!!

CMc
04-27-2004, 07:53 AM
What is with the attendance this year?

Most of the games have less than 20,000 in attendance, and TOO many seem to have less than 10,000.

Is this the year that NFL-E dies? are the Europeans/Germans finally tired of american football? I hope not, but the numbers are starting to tell a different story.

Perhaps the NFL owners will invest in a spring/summer league here in america, especially if they end up moving back the NFL season to start in mid Sept., when the next NFL TV contracts start.

Magnum357
04-27-2004, 11:24 PM
What??? Am I missing something here? Why would the NFL start in Mid september due too TV contracts?

Jeremy
04-28-2004, 10:17 PM
I am thinking a possibility is that the NFL Europe may be oversaturating the German market. They had good attendance with just Rhein and Frankfurt. It seemed to have died a bit with Berlin, now the numbers are pathetic with Cologne too.

I wonder about the 2 remaining teams outside of Germany those people probably are giving up, seeing that the NFL will probably just take away their teams just line London/England and Barcelona.

Who knows, maybe the NFL sees this as a way to get out too? Over saturate their popular market and drag their attendance down to say they are now too low and fold up shop. Ok, probably not, but you just never know.

Pounder
04-29-2004, 10:57 AM
It's possible that this is just anti-American backlash. We ain't popular right now. It doesn't help that Europeans, used to the way soccer and all their leagues operate, do not take kindly to franchise movements.

However, the German success in this league is also attributable to the presence of US bases with US troops in Germany. With a war going on, and a long-term plan to pull out of Germany, I suspect the league will suffer a double-whammy from which it will not recover.

Magnum357
04-29-2004, 12:09 PM
I think I agree with Pounder on this one. Some american media isn't talking about it much, but a certain portion of the European community is Anti-american now because of the war in Iraq and such. The attendence numbers for NFLE where better 2 years ago then they are now so I would not be suprised if the lower attendence figures are because of Anti-american feelings and the possible closures of some bases in Germany.

Andy
05-02-2004, 10:28 PM
Well, I doubt that Anti-american feelings are the reason for the decreasing attendance in Frankfurt and Rhein. The main problem for Frankfurt is that they have to play in a stadium that gets rebuilded. The capacity of the Waldstadion is limited. Also the people are not willing to spend a lot of money for bad seats on a building site that also is without a roof.

The main problem for Rhein is that the team has to play its homegames in the ArenaAufSchalke which is located in Gelsenkirchen because the Rhein Stadium (Düesseldorf) was demolished and is currently build new. Many people from Düsseldorf are not attending the Fire games this year because they feared that the League would no let the Fire return to Düsseldorf next season if the attendance is also huge in the ArenaAufSchalke. So they stay away but don’t think about that this could hurt the whole League. Another problem is that the prices for tickets in the ArenaAufSchalke rose very much this year.

Pretty shure the attendance will rise next season when the Waldstadium in Frankfurt is ready and the Fire returns to Düsseldorf.

Finally I don’t believe that the NFLE will be closed after this season. Last week NFLE’s Jim Connelly met with the mayor of Stuttgart and negotiated about a possible franchise.

Andy from Germany

Pounder
05-03-2004, 03:30 PM
Hmmmm...

These stadia are being rebuilt for World Cup 2006.

Didn't FIFA had a hand in helping deny someone in France a franchise when 1998 was coming about? We're talking about people who are very protective of their turf... and I mean that literally.

Yeah, I could be wrong, but at the least, I expect some "temporary" team-shifting over the next season or two, provided that the NFL still wants to throw money at this.

Micro67
05-16-2004, 12:27 AM
We are getting two games a week on Star Sports Asia and also the 5 minute AFL highlight reels.