PDA

View Full Version : Anyone going to watch the Arizona Winter League?

basbalr11
12-04-2006, 04:01 PM
As a player in the upcoming AWL in Yuma I am excited about this winter league, I was just wonering if any fans out there are going to be there to watch?

Pietsch Fan
12-04-2006, 04:50 PM
Under normal circumstance I might have gone over for a weekend in Yuma to check this out, but now I seriously doubt it. Going to have to just play it by ear.

ChicoManiac
12-04-2006, 11:29 PM
We're firing up the 'ol Lindy (our mini-RV) for a little R&R in the southwestern sun in January and plan to be in Yuma for opening night and probably the next two days of games too....been to Desert Sun Stadium many times in the summer and we're looking forward to seeing some games without those dang misters fogging up everything...

Being lifelong Dodger fans....I know we live in Northern California...it's a long story...we're excited about getting a chance to meet the new Yuma skipper Mike Marshall....his homerun and triple in Game 2 of the 1988 World Series single-handedly won that game for L.A. although Hershiser throwing a complete game 3-hit shutout and collecting 3 hits of his own also kind helped...

Good job on being selected for the league baseballer11...will be fun to see you in action...

flyersgm
12-04-2006, 11:51 PM
Organization of the Year - Go Dodger Blue

By the way, did you see that the Dodgers won the award for the Professional Baseball Organization of the year? Pretty cool!

Yes, lifelong Dodger fan here, as well!

See you in Yuma in January!

jd_aka_monty
12-05-2006, 10:22 AM
Congrats on being in the league, especially ground floor. The first year of the GBL was AWESOME! It has all been a time in my life I will never forget or be able to match.

I'm hoping that GTII is serious that we'll go out and workout with the team for a weekend or two. I'd love to watch some good ball over the winter.

Good luck on getting picked up!

Monty

Pietsch Fan
12-05-2006, 12:11 PM
basbalr11, when I saw that the AWL was going to be a pay to play instructional league I wondered if they could get enough players to field four teams. I understand the cost includes lodging, food, use of facilities, etc, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend, especially since if a rookie gets picked up to play in the summer all three months pay still wouldn't cover the cost of the "camp". Do you mind me asking where you come from baseball wise (just out of college, current independent player, etc.)? I was going to ask if you really thought the expense was worth it, but duh, it has to be or you wouldn't pay it :p Good luck in the league. I hope it's everything you want/need it to be.

jd_aka_monty
12-05-2006, 12:35 PM
Experience says that $2800 (or $2900) is not all that much to pay, when you consider what you are actually getting out of experience. Some camps charge anywhere from $500 on up to $4500 for a week or two AND mostly for children (10-18), no less. Also, consider the fantasy camps that people pay thousands of dollars to be a part of.

For what each player may potentially get out of the experience, I myself don't believe that is too much to pay. While it's definitely a business for the league and they need to stay in business, it's a dream to those who will be participating. I'm not too certain that a price tag can be placed on doing everything you can to achieve your dream. Take a little time to read some of the stories on this site, they're pretty awesome and are pretty uplifting to read. Many guys trying out for different teams in different sports, some of them MANY-MANY-MANY times, paying lost of money to finally get a break.

Just a small example: http://www.baberuthleague.org/baseballcamp.html

Gotta love this game and you've gotta want it REAL bad...believe you me...I personally can't get rid of bug... :D

Monty

Pietsch Fan
12-05-2006, 01:14 PM
Fantasy camps and camps for kids (whose parents have more dollars than sense) I completely understand. I'm just coming from the point of view of many, many of the players I've come to know that 1. couldn't afford to pay to play and 2. expect to get their experience from getting paid to play. That's why I was curious what basbalr11's experience was.

jd_aka_monty
12-05-2006, 01:32 PM
Absolutely, I know where you're coming from and sorry, I simply wanted to interject my own opinon as well. Mine coming from my own experience of paying quite a bit of money, before getting a shot with an affiliated organization. Knowing full well, if things were different for me right now, I'd definitely be there, in a heartbeat. Slap that expense on a credit card or borrow from family members, but one way or another...

Man, I read my post again...can you say duh? I missed words and letters, my fingers were moving faster than my brain (again). No comments, thank you very much! :rolleyes:

Looking forward to his response...

Monty

DawgsBooster2
12-05-2006, 03:14 PM
Man, I read my post again...can you say duh? I missed words and letters, my fingers were moving faster than my brain (again). No comments, thank you very much! :rolleyes:

No worries JD. :D Everyone does it and besides, we know you're a cool guy, even if you mind moves faster than you can type.

basbalr11
12-05-2006, 09:04 PM
basbalr11, when I saw that the AWL was going to be a pay to play instructional league I wondered if they could get enough players to field four teams. I understand the cost includes lodging, food, use of facilities, etc, but it still seems like a lot of money to spend, especially since if a rookie gets picked up to play in the summer all three months pay still wouldn't cover the cost of the "camp". Do you mind me asking where you come from baseball wise (just out of college, current independent player, etc.)? I was going to ask if you really thought the expense was worth it, but duh, it has to be or you wouldn't pay it :p Good luck in the league. I hope it's everything you want/need it to be.

The cost is not a problem at all, esp when I think about everything there... i paid that much for a one week cruse in September haha... (and heck, how pumped am i to get out of Ohio during the heart of winter haha) for other players out there with semi-pro or pro experience, i don't see why there would be any problem getting tons of great players...players worth paying to watch

As for myself, I played my college ball for Ashland University, a Div 2 school in Ohio, played in two div 2 college baseball world series while at Ashland. I just finished my first season with a semi-pro team in southern ohio this last summer, was the starting CF and lead off man...our team ended up playing in the semi-pro world series in FL, but we lost in 7...
good to see some people are going to come out, it is def more fun to play in front of fans ;)

heavesrock
12-05-2006, 10:23 PM
Home of Brandon Webb. 2006 NL Cy Young winner. GO D'BACKS!!!!!!

ChicoManiac
12-06-2006, 01:09 AM
Woohoo! If this is representative of the quality of ballplayer that will be at the AWL then we are really looking forward to the league....we know Ashland well as Chico State played them last May in the Division 2 World Series in Alabama....they were seeded #6 and we were rated #5 and the game went 13 innings before we won....I was worried the league might be a bunch of old fat guys like me.....

TitansCF13
12-06-2006, 12:27 PM
basbalr11 - Good to see another Ohio boy headed out there!

I played my college ball at D3 Columbus State (also nationally ranked). Graduated last year, play semi-pro ball in Northern Ohio, also as a Starting Center Fielder.

Maybe we will get to be teammates down there, if not then we should atleast chat a bit- what team were you with in southern ohio?

I honestly believe this will be a quality product that the AWL puts on the field, Mr. Outcult was very helpful in getting everything set up for myself to come out there and play ball, I can only assume he was as helpful to others. I think there are so many people that want new ideas to just fail and hate the idea that times are changing and they are not playing anymore... if you're a true fan you will want the league to succeed... thats my piece

jaydensdadaz
12-09-2006, 01:12 AM
Pietsch fan the bottom line is, these kids love to play and if they can't afford it have you heard of sponsorships for players, its pretty easy for players to go to businesses and ask for help, whats the worst that would happen, being told no, so what move onto the next business or get 10 to sponsor you, if they want to play and have great talent teaching them, they have 5 weeks to get going and get the money!

jd_aka_monty
12-11-2006, 01:41 PM
Also, keep in mind that they are willing to work with the players too. They are attempting to make some pretty inginuitive proposals to good tallent. So, there are plenty of ways for a player to be a part of the league. I think the league is going to be an incredible experience for those who are able to participate, player and fan. I myself am looking for ways to be involved in some capacity. But, so far, just planning on going out to workout with the teams for at least one weekend, catch some pens, and watch some good baseball.

Monty