PDA

View Full Version : D-League coming to Orem, UT

sportsguy12
12-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Well, if this is true, which I am assuming it is. The Orem Junior Jazz look to have a great arena. Just kidding - there's no way that will be the name of the team. I hope they go with Utah and not Orem.

http://wolverinegreen.cstv.com/facilities/utva-facilities.html

Anybody have any thoughts of the D-League's latest franchise. The story link is below.

http://www.sltrib.com/jazz/ci_4753431

I was hoping for a franchise back east, but they probably will steal a few from the ABA or CBA after the season.

sportsguy12
12-02-2006, 03:20 PM
The D-League will hit the Utah hardwoods.

The team will be called the Utah ____.

a) Flash
b) Dash
c) Heroes
d) Dynos

Those are the choices for the name the team contest. Ewww!

I would vote for Flash, I guess.

http://www.nba.com/webAction?actionId=surveyInitialize&target=/dleague/utah/contest.jsp&surveyId=1364

USBasket_EricE
12-02-2006, 10:46 PM
I said Flash too. Those choices reminded me of the Roanoke Dazzle - not the type of name someone would be proud of!

SignGuyDino
12-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Uhh...Dynos? Obvious preference.

Will this team be solely affiliated with the Jazz? God I hope so. I believe their owner was adamant about having one D-League team per NBA team.

DakotaWizardsFan
12-03-2006, 06:15 PM
I said Flash too. Those choices reminded me of the Roanoke Dazzle - not the type of name someone would be proud of!

I also voted Flash. I kinda liked the name Dazzle though, for a men's basketball team, probably not though.

The choices weren't very good. :confused:

utahstarsticketholder
02-08-2007, 10:24 PM
Okay I voted for the least stupid name... flash. If this was a true name the team contest it would be open to suggestion. But I will say this a least it's a real league with real teams, venues and owners.
If it had been a real contest... our suggestion would have been the Utah Bobcats, ties with Cougars - BYU . Plus there are bobcats (live wild animals) all over our little town of Saratoga Springs (West side of Utah Lake).
Remember our troops, jack and cheryl.
BTW Or how about the Utah Lakers ?!!!!....never mind.jh

DakotaWizardsFan
02-09-2007, 04:24 PM
Okay I voted for the least stupid name... flash. If this was a true name the team contest it would be open to suggestion. But I will say this a least it's a real league with real teams, venues and owners.
If it had been a real contest... our suggestion would have been the Utah Bobcats, ties with Cougars - BYU . Plus there are bobcats (live wild animals) all over our little town of Saratoga Springs (West side of Utah Lake).
Remember our troops, jack and cheryl.
BTW Or how about the Utah Lakers ?!!!!....never mind.jh

Yeah, the names are really stupid. I think I voted for the Flash also. I really wish they were taking suggestions. I don't know much about Utah, but I like making up team names and I think I'm actully somewhat good at doing so.

Minor League Man
02-14-2007, 11:24 PM
Yeah, the names are really stupid. I think I voted for the Flash also. I really wish they were taking suggestions. I don't know much about Utah, but I like making up team names and I think I'm actully somewhat good at doing so.
I would have said Utah Swarm (Beehive State)

DakotaWizardsFan
02-15-2007, 04:21 PM

Good suggestion. I like it. And even if I didn't, it's better than the four choices they have.

sportsguy12
02-16-2007, 09:24 AM

Beehive state ... and a "swarm"-ing defense. Could have been fun.

sportsguy12
04-13-2007, 11:25 AM
http://www.nba.com/dleague/utah/

The team is announcing their name shortly.

Minor League Man
04-13-2007, 11:55 AM
I just wish there would have been more than just four options (I mean, I would have liked Utah Swarm-for the Beehive State)

Eric_Sports_Fanatic
04-13-2007, 05:44 PM
I'm glad the D-League is expanding. I always love to see more teams, but unfortunatly that means more competition.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Do you all really think Orem will be able to support a team game after game?

rams80
04-15-2007, 02:48 PM
Do you all really think Orem will be able to support a team game after game?

About as well as Albuquerque does...

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Well suprisingly we have a ton of dedicated fans. I mean we may only have about 2500 per but it's always the same people....loyal fans

sportsguy12
04-15-2007, 03:21 PM
Well suprisingly we have a ton of dedicated fans. I mean we may only have about 2500 per but it's always the same people....loyal fans

so why should basketball be any different? I'm sure the owners and D-League took a long look at the market. Also, they will be affiliated with the Jazz.

I think 2500 is a bit disappointing for the T-Birds. I think a change of venue might help.

abie10
04-15-2007, 03:23 PM
a change of venue will absolutely help. next year the tbirds are playing at the convention center...will hold around 6000 people, but it's downtown and the setup will be better. plus there won't be competition for prime dates, which forced the tbirds to move their home finale this year.

i think next year will be a much better year for us

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 05:49 PM
Yeah the convention center will probably have a better turn out. Hopefully we still have the best concessions. :) When I went to Ft.Worth for the Championship here is what I had to choose from:
Hot Dog
Nachos
Coke
Candy
Chips

Tingely definitley has the best concessions

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Yeah the convention center will probably have a better turn out. Hopefully we still have the best concessions. :) When I went to Ft.Worth for the Championship here is what I had to choose from:
Hot Dog
Nachos
Coke
Candy
Chips

Tingely definitley has the best concessions

Whoa, at the Civic Center, you can get maybe 10 times that. It's expensive here, but at least there's a variety.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 07:01 PM
Yeah I mean here at Tingely we have almost everthing, Mexican, Chicago Dog (everything burgers and hot dogs) funnel cakes, a bar (x3!), baskin robbins,pizza, we put ft.worth to shame

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 07:13 PM
I can't name everything of course, but we've got:
Almonds
Sunflower Seeds
One other nut (forgot which, maybe Eric can help me out)
Dippin' Dots
Pizza
Taco in a bag
Mini donuts
Hot dogs
Hamburgers
Fries
Nachos
Ice cream
Popcorn
Candy
Pretzels

Okay, you get the point. There's a lot more than that too.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Wow almost as good as ours....jk....

We have more then I mentioned as well

DakotaWizardsFan
04-15-2007, 07:37 PM
Wow almost as good as ours....jk....

We have more then I mentioned as well

I guess the only way I'll find out is if I go to Albuquerque. The thing is, I've never even gone to Sioux Falls for a game so that won't happen.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-15-2007, 07:41 PM
lol.......

DakotaWizardsFan
04-17-2007, 05:08 PM
http://i81.photobucket.com/albums/j223/IBelieveToMySoul/flash.jpg

Get To Know The Utah Flash
OREM, UTAH (April 17, 2007) - Utah Valley entrepreneur Brandt Andersen announced the name of his new NBA Development League team today -- the Utah Flash. He unveiled the Utah Flash name and logo at a press conference attended by representatives of the NBA and Utah Jazz, public officials, team sponsors and other community leaders.

David Fredman, a 28-year veteran of the Utah Jazz, has accepted the post of general manager of the Utah Flash. Fredman's position was announced at the same press conference. In addition to his many years of service to the Jazz (including assistant coach /director of scouting), he also recently served as the assistant general manager of the Denver Nuggets.

Andersen plans to announce the name of the team's head coach late this spring.

In addition to Andersen and Fredman, speakers at the event included NBA D-League president Phil Evans, former Utah Jazz coach Frank Layden and Dennis Haslam, president of Larry H. Miller Sports and Entertainment.

The team will compete against 14 other NBA D-League teams (12 existing and two new franchises) in the 2007-08 season, which starts in November. They will play at Orem's McKay Events Center. In the meantime, famed architect Frank Gehry is designing an arena for the team as part of Andersen's mixed-use development near the Point of the Mountain in Lehi. The development is themed around action sports and healthy living.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-17-2007, 07:08 PM
It could be worse...

USBasket_EricE
04-17-2007, 10:14 PM
I think that's the cheap name that I voted for way back when. They should have called themselves the Orem Flash, just to make it sound even more awkward.

As for concessions, you named all the ones that I know, Bri. I rarely get anything though. Don't forget the pop, the energy drinks, the fruit drinks, and the beer! During the 2002-2003 season, when Dunkie and the Dance Team were throwing out shirts, the guy next to me and I both jumped up to try and catch one at the same time. Well, he caught it and I came down and smashed his entire beer. It went all over my coat and I was basically sitting in it for the rest of the game. It was a little embarrassing, but funny now when I look back at it. He gave me the shirt afterwards anyway and we joked about it for the rest of the season. The shirt ended up being a Waste Management shirt when I un-rubberbanded it, so needless to say I never wear it.

sportsguy12
04-18-2007, 12:54 AM
I think that's the cheap name that I voted for way back when. They should have called themselves the Orem Flash, just to make it sound even more awkward.

As for concessions, you named all the ones that I know, Bri. I rarely get anything though. Don't forget the pop, the energy drinks, the fruit drinks, and the beer! During the 2002-2003 season, when Dunkie and the Dance Team were throwing out shirts, the guy next to me and I both jumped up to try and catch one at the same time. Well, he caught it and I came down and smashed his entire beer. It went all over my coat and I was basically sitting in it for the rest of the game. It was a little embarrassing, but funny now when I look back at it. He gave me the shirt afterwards anyway and we joked about it for the rest of the season. The shirt ended up being a Waste Management shirt when I un-rubberbanded it, so needless to say I never wear it.

but then again the Jazz nickname and Utah aren't a good match.

#1 T-Birds Fan
04-18-2007, 05:18 PM
VERY true...

DakotaWizardsFan
04-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Ha. Luckily for me, I don't think that's happened. You'd think I'd remember it if it did.

LandRoverUT60
04-20-2007, 01:51 AM
but then again the Jazz nickname and Utah aren't a good match.

Neither are the Los Angeles Lakers or Memphis Grizzlies...

This is a first as far as I know, when the owners actually limit the options for naming a team. Just goes to show what they thought of the fans making the choice...