PDA

View Full Version : D-League Opening Night

SignGuyDino
11-24-2006, 07:25 PM
Go Tulsa.

That is all...

USBasket_EricE
11-24-2006, 10:47 PM
WIZARDS WIN! WIZARDS WIN! WIZARDS WIN!!!! I had a great time listening to the radio tonight. Actually, it was peer torture during the first 3 quarters until they started to light things up in the 4th. I thought I was gonna lose it when they were down by 16 in the 3rd, but Dave Joerger is an excellent coach and he must have had a good talk with his players going into the final quarter. Players like Quemont Greer, Jerome Beasley, Renaldo Major, and Brandon Armstrong were just awesome tonight. Also, Sioux Falls' Frank Williams was almost a killer himself tonight as he poured in 32 points. Jared Reiner had a double-double too. I can't wait for tomorrow night's home opener in Bismarck. It's gonna be great!!!

^ Sorry to hear that the 66ers lost. Sounds like it was a close game.

USBasket_EricE
11-25-2006, 11:32 PM
Another Wizards win tonight over Sioux Falls!! It's nice to be 2-0 while the rivals are 0-2!

And hey^^, Tulsa won in overtime tonight! That must have been an exciting game.

The Wizards are in Tulsa next weekend, so I won't be going for the 66ers this time, sorry!

Pounder
11-27-2006, 10:19 AM
Idaho loses twice to their former coach Joe Wolf and the new Colorado 14ers.

The surprise to me- the 3,900 Friday attendance, while overcounted, was not nearly overcounted as much as usual. First game, of course; there's plenty of time for this operation to tank. I must say, however, that there's been more of a buzz about this team since it went to the D-League. Here, it's the affiliations that seem to matter.

DakotaWizardsFan
11-27-2006, 05:58 PM
Another Wizards win tonight over Sioux Falls!! It's nice to be 2-0 while the rivals are 0-2!

And hey^^, Tulsa won in overtime tonight! That must have been an exciting game.

The Wizards are in Tulsa next weekend, so I won't be going for the 66ers this time, sorry!

Oh yeah! Go Wizards!

I really think we have a championship contender team right now. We've got quite a few players that can contribute every night. Right now I'm really liking Jerome, Renaldo, and Dontell, but all of the players are good. Well, I don't know about Jameel since he hasn't played yet for some unknown reason.

Those stupid D-League power rankings had us at 7th. We're sure proving them wrong.

USBasket_EricE
11-27-2006, 06:47 PM
^The D-League stats are really messed up too. They've got Beasley averaging 14.5 points and I know its a lot higher than that. They are taking the stats from the box score, which shows the Wizards with a 42-34 victory from Saturday. That was the halftime score. I don't think the D-League is as up to speed with accuracy as the CBA was. They sure as hell better get it fixed because it's not fair to the players if they are giving them false statistics on the negative side.

SignGuyDino
11-27-2006, 07:54 PM
Idaho loses twice to their former coach Joe Wolf and the new Colorado 14ers.

The surprise to me- the 3,900 Friday attendance, while overcounted, was not nearly overcounted as much as usual. First game, of course; there's plenty of time for this operation to tank. I must say, however, that there's been more of a buzz about this team since it went to the D-League. Here, it's the affiliations that seem to matter.

Adding more CBA teams is helping greatly. The affiliations matter only that they are slowly thinning out and maybe we can get one D-league team PER NBA team instead of sharing teams.

Yes, folks who are just NBA fans are paying attention to the D-League now which is a very good thing. Real buzz is slowly building.

Thanks for the comments USB, hopefully we will get minor league basketball to the point where we can get to actual trash talking like we're SUPPOSED to. :P

USBasket_EricE
11-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Thanks for the comments USB, hopefully we will get minor league basketball to the point where we can get to actual trash talking like we're SUPPOSED to. :P

All right, the 66ers are going down this weekend!!! Ahh, too lame. Nevermind ;-)

SignGuyDino
11-27-2006, 08:54 PM
Here, let me help you...

66'ers on the HIGHWAY TO HELL this weekend!!

Pounder
11-29-2006, 10:33 AM
BTW... last night, the Thunderbirds lay in wait, then smother Idaho from late in the 3rd quarter on.

Announced attendance in Boise 1,743... 500 would be a generous count for actual.

DakotaWizardsFan
11-29-2006, 06:31 PM
^The D-League stats are really messed up too. They've got Beasley averaging 14.5 points and I know its a lot higher than that. They are taking the stats from the box score, which shows the Wizards with a 42-34 victory from Saturday. That was the halftime score. I don't think the D-League is as up to speed with accuracy as the CBA was. They sure as hell better get it fixed because it's not fair to the players if they are giving them false statistics on the negative side.

Yeah they are and I cannot stand it. I can't do my stats sheet and stats report.

By the way, I've got an MSN Space again this year. I'm not sure how it looks even because Ro made it, but here's the link:
(Okay I don't know what it is. I'll ask Ro when he comes home.)

I've got a Photobucket album also:
http://s123.photobucket.com/albums/o304/MajorSkillz7/

USBasket_EricE
11-29-2006, 08:56 PM
^ahh man, they did autographs? I should have stuck around! Good work with the pictures. They're the only ones I've been able to find with the exception of the 3 from the game in Sioux Falls on the D-League site. I also wish each team could have their own board. That way if people want to discuss one specific team over and over, it'd be easier.

So, to get off the subject and on to a completely random topic, how about that Bakersfield team? They had 5800+ people in their opener. Not bad at all. Anyone know how the D-Fenders did in their opener at Staples Center?

DakotaWizardsFan
11-30-2006, 05:38 PM
^ahh man, they did autographs?

Yeah, they did. They aren't up in the food court this year though. They're by the new novelty stand place on top of that platform.

USBasket_EricE
12-02-2006, 10:15 AM
105-102, Tulsa. Ouch! Sounds like in was a nail-biting game to the finish! I'm guessing you attended the game, SignGuy? Give us a rundown of the highlights. They meet again tonight, I'm hoping for a completely different outcome.

Colorado beat LA! It's about time someone did. Joe Wolf has done great job coaching his new team this season. A 3-0 start is not bad at all.

And what's wrong with the Stampede? No wins at all yet. The Skyforce have come back to .500 with a 2-2 record while Idaho sits at the bottom of the West with a 0-5 record.

Two overtime games last night too. Arkansas knocked off Albuquerque with a double overtime victory, 125-119. And Anaheim topped Austin 107-105 in 1 overtime.

And to round things out, Fort Worth got a win over Bakersfield. I've got relatives I've never even met in Bakersfield, and I'm willing to bet that they're not into basketball, so the 0-4 record probably means nothing to them!

DakotaWizardsFan
12-02-2006, 09:52 PM
They meet again tonight, I'm hoping for a completely different outcome.

And that happened.

105-81 Wizards

Wow..

USBasket_EricE
12-02-2006, 10:42 PM
Sounds like it was a good game again. Justin Williams had 17 rebounds to go along with 15 points. His true rebounding stat is 15.3 per game, not 12.# like the D-League site says. That alone could help him get a call-up.

SignGuyDino
12-02-2006, 11:40 PM
I'm guessing you attended the game, SignGuy?

Ummm...no...wasn't there....see, the Tulsa team has the same coach (Joey Meyer) as the two-time, two-time D-League champs Asheville Altitude, which WAS my team. So I consider the Tulsa team MY team even if the NBA doesn't recognize the 66ers as the former Altitude.

So it's hard to follow them...unless I was REALLY committed...

USBasket_EricE
12-03-2006, 11:15 AM
Ok, now I understand. I remember reading about the teams that switched cities for the 2005-2006 season.

Florida Flame = Charleston Lowgators
Austin Toros = Columbus Riverdragons
Albuquerque Thunderbirds = Huntsville Flight

Too bad the Altitude had to move. I remember when the entire NBDL was on the east coast. I never really followed the league, but teams like the Dazzle, Riverdragons, and Patriots stood out enough for me to remember them.

DakotaWizardsFan
12-03-2006, 06:18 PM
I think we need to make a topic for each team now. This topic is called D-League Opening Night and that was already a little over a week ago.

Just a suggestion..

heavesrock
12-03-2006, 07:26 PM
Does the D-League always announce overshot attendance?

sportsguy12
12-03-2006, 08:33 PM
Does the D-League always announce overshot attendance?

is a better word. The D-League may overstate their attendance, but at least they complete 100 percent of their games and they understand what professional basketball means. They don't have teams starting up 3 months, or maybe weeks, before tip-off like other leagues.

I do wish they would expand back to the East Coast. It's hard to imagine that the oldest D-League team (in its current city ... I know several teams relocated) is 2 years old. None of the originals are left. That is hard to believe.

I think they will come back to the East Coast next year in NY (Knicks), Ohio (Cavs) and Florida. I could see a lot of other teams doing what the Lakers are doing and having games before or after the NBA games. I think eventually the teams would go out on their own to smaller cities, like the Lakers hope to do with Ontario.

If that's the case then Bridgeport, CT or Hartford; Rochester; Worchester or Springfield, MA; and maybe, Trenton, NJ would get teams.

Just some thoughts. No proof here.

heavesrock
12-03-2006, 09:01 PM
I believe this is the way the D-League should be run: Play in the same arena like the Lakers are doing, send your top draft picks there, let them develop, and let the undrafted players go to the CBA and D-League. Increase the number of rounds in the NBA draft to 5 or 6 to fill out the rosters.

Pounder
12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
I believe this is the way the D-League should be run: Play in the same arena like the Lakers are doing, send your top draft picks there, let them develop, and let the undrafted players go to the CBA and D-League. Increase the number of rounds in the NBA draft to 5 or 6 to fill out the rosters.

The main difference between this and Europe is that Europe doesn't bother with school ball. They recruit and DEVELOP the kids in their own town, occasionally buy contracts from other teams, so there are reserve teams and youth programs run by each team.

I say this because (1) the NBA, especially giddy with the way LeBron James turned out close to his hometown, might give this more consideration, and (2) if you've noticed lately how European players- and now clubs- are catching up fast to NBA players, the system is the primary reason.

Now, mind you, it doesn't have to be the same arena. The Blazers probably ought to have their team in Salem (48 miles south), Seattle can use Everett or the next arena coming up (Kent)... you get the picture.

suge night
12-04-2006, 10:48 PM
I placed this info from two games I went to over the weekend in person it was only if that 500 people there now I know the first thing the team will say is they sold a certain number of season tickets and other such bull but it's always funny how people could spend the money to attend these games and then not show up? now I looked up the figures from the local paper and it said 1500 was there ,they could only wish they could draw that many people to one game.

SignGuyDino
12-04-2006, 11:16 PM
I agree with Pounder in the most part. If Buss wants the D-Fenders to play in an empty arena he's paid the rent for, more power to him. I really think they should go with large high school gyms or small college venues until they build an attendance to justify the large arenas, though. Been saying that for years.

CLEVELAND confirmed interested in a D-League team. If everything goes like with the Utah team maybe an announcement in a week?

You would THINK Akron (you know, Lebron's hometown?) is the logical choice but I fear they'll play at the Q to fill dates.

I honestly don't think the D-League counts as filling dates if they're going to do what the Lakers are doing. Reacting to a crowd (even a crowd of a few hundred) seems more important to me in development than playing in an empty big arena. My .02....