PDA

View Full Version : GBL Teams

oregon_william
11-22-2006, 12:09 PM
Ok let me see if I have this straight in my mind.

Year 1 had 8 teams: Yuma, San Diego, Fullerton, Chico, Long Beach, Mesa, Surprise and that Japanese team that was homeless.

Year 2 was down to 6 teams: Yuma, San Diego, Fullerton, Chico and Long Beach. Reno was added to make 6. Mesa, Surprise and Japanese team were dropped.

Year 3 will have how many teams? There is the new team in Utah and Yuma. Are Chico and Long Beach and Reno staying? That's down to 5 if San Diego is done. Oh, there is to be a Colorado team. That seems like an awfully long drive. Is the league thinking of having north and south divisions?

I saw the photograph in the newspaper of the winter league news. I think those baseball caps looked like the old Mesa Miner and Suprise Falcon teams. And that one cap looked like the Surf Dawg. I suppose that makes sense to re-use the uniforms and equipment to save on having to buy new.

Thanks to all of you for keeping this updated. We are finding it very newsy.

Bill

Chuck
11-22-2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the link to the other message board Bill. Curious, are you in Oregon and involved with talks with the GBL for potential expansion?

oregon_william
11-22-2006, 12:25 PM
Oh no, nothing like that Chuck! My work days are over!

The wife and I winter in Yuma. Got back a few weeks ago. On the road now to go see the kids and grandkids through the holidays. Be back in January.

We have always liked to spend time at the ballparks up north or on our travels but because of the Yuma team schedule we were never here for any of those games. Heard about the winter baseball so thought I'd try to find out some more information. I'm learning more than I ever thought I would and tongues are wagging out our way about this.

Pietsch Fan
11-22-2006, 12:27 PM
The only new team so far is St. George. That brought the count to 7 teams. If they drop San Diego that makes 6. So, they have to add one and keep San Diego, add two and drop San Diego, or just drop San Diego.

When they announced the teams for the winter league it was clear they were going to use the old uniforms. Sonora Surf Dawgs, somebody Falcons and somebody Miners. What-e-ver.

oregon_william
11-22-2006, 12:33 PM
I think I forgot Fullerton. So right now there are 7 with San Diego.

I still haven't gotten an answer from anyone on when the schedule will be out for the summer.