PDA

View Full Version : Same GBL Load o' Crap ~ Winter League

sun_kissed_yuman
11-16-2006, 11:33 AM
Today's paper had Outcalt (GBL Commish; I have always wondered if he bought his position! After all, Cisco is a financial partner.) commenting:

"The purpose of the Arizona Winter League is not only to bring great entertainment to Yuma during a time of year where you've got a lot of baseball fans that don't get to see the Scorpions in the summertime but also to give the players a developmental opportunity to prepare themselves for spring training and spring tryouts whether its with the independent league or its with an affiliated organization."

At what point will the GBL get some cojones?

I'd PAY to see a press conference where the GBL says this:

"Yep, folks, we sure screwed up over the past few years, what with running off or firing great/qualified staff, spending money like it grew on trees, making promises we had no intention of keeping, blah blah. While bringing baseball to Yuma for a month and helping players is all well and good, we're really creating this winter league because we got our @$$ in a bind with a boatload of creditors and we need to come up with some quick cash. We promise on our daddy-paid MBAs that we will be better stewards in the future and that we will think of our sponsors and fans before ourselves."

That would be priceless!

preeths
11-16-2006, 11:39 AM
Maybe your dreams will come true, and the league will fold. Would there be anything else that satisfies you?

skippy
11-16-2006, 09:17 PM
I also hope the GBL folds, although I have no personal experience working with the league.

From what I have heard from people with experience who the league approached the first year, { who turned the league down, based on the business model}, this league was DOOMED from the beginning.

Anyone with any experience wouldn't have gone into those particular markets, payed the front office and players what they were paying the first year, signed the stadium leases they signed, etc.

In Arizona, they received no concessions, and weren't able to use the locker rooms???? Who in their right mind would pay anything to use a stadium with those restrictions on the lease?

Patel and Co, although their intentions may or may not be good, can join the SWBL, the Continental Baseball League, Golden Baseball League, and all the other "minor leagues" that attempt to spring up out west for all I care.

Independent Baseball cannot and will not work in the west. The consistent failure of these "leagues" to get off the ground, and or exist outside of a few years at a time, ruin the few markets that are cultivated and/or appropriate.

The population centers are too few and far between, and those that do exist, already have affiliated minor league teams, or are too far apart to support a team on less than 3-4 thousand a night.

Please wide-eyed young entrepreneurs, get out of baseball and go back to stocks and bonds. The only people that your failure will affect then will be you.

jaydensdadaz
11-18-2006, 01:13 AM
They do have balls and big ones at that, your the lil peep that has no balls Sun kissed, it sure is funny that you think the old office staff was so great, were you one of them that got fired and the rest took on better jobs, Lets see here retard, its Independent ball and people come here to get experience and find better jobs, I'd be quite happy if i owned the league and my players or workers went into Organization ball or other top jobs, so wake up and smeel the coffee and do your job and get your facts straight before you post anymore.

Pietsch Fan
11-18-2006, 08:53 AM
They do have balls and big ones at that, your the lil peep that has no balls Sun kissed, it sure is funny that you think the old office staff was so great, were you one of them that got fired and the rest took on better jobs, Lets see here retard, its Independent ball and people come here to get experience and find better jobs, I'd be quite happy if i owned the league and my players or workers went into Organization ball or other top jobs, so wake up and smeel the coffee and do your job and get your facts straight before you post anymore.

Dude, if you really work for the GBL then they are in worse trouble than we all think. Calling people retards and telling them to smeel the coffee? One would think you'd have better things to do at 11:00 on a Friday night.

If you were an owner you'd want the best people you could afford running the team and playing on it. You wouldn't care about them moving up to affiliated ball. You don't run a baseball league to train other people's future players. You do it to make money. The only reason the independents brag on their pick up rate is because it shows fans the level of players they have hoping that will encourage them to come out and watch.

jaydensdadaz
11-19-2006, 02:15 AM
Hey by the way disgruntled boy, its smell not smeel, and yes I love being up late and yes I was with Mike Marshall hanging out with him and the boys, so anyways come up with some more stuff and please study your hooked on phonics pietsch fan.

Pietsch Fan
11-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Hey by the way disgruntled boy, its smell not smeel, and yes I love being up late and yes I was with Mike Marshall hanging out with him and the boys, so anyways come up with some more stuff and please study your hooked on phonics pietsch fan.

Learn to read, I was quoting your own post. I see the GBL didn't raise the bar any when hiring this one.

From the Peanut Gallery
11-20-2006, 06:44 PM
I think some of you give the GBL league office FAR too much credit for knowing what they're doing. (whether it's trying to implement single entity; strive for a "carnival atmosphere" or generate interest/$$ with winter ball).

I've observed from the peanut gallery since before their first season.

They had a plan.

They didn't stick to it.

They haven't stayed focused.

They haven't kept their eye on the ball with respect to sponsors, league staff and key front office staff at the team levels.

My observation has been that league execs have not always been aware of what each other has been doing/saying/promising.

Things have gotten away from them, and they seem to fall back on what is comfortable and what is known to them (which unfortunately means they turn to non-baseball experiences and people).

They are NOT baseball people. They are theorists. There have been incidents where their lack of knowledge with regard to baseball tradition has been embarrassing to witness and actually made me wince.

The theory was a good one. Their execution stinks.

nksports
11-20-2006, 11:36 PM
I kind of like the winter league idea. 100 players at $2,900 is $290,000. 50 motel rooms for 30 days at $50 a night (I'm not sure what the going rate in Yuma is) is $75,000. About another $45,000 to feed them ($5x3 meals a dayx100 players for 30 days). That's $120,000. You order equipment from your budget for your summer operations. Add a little extra for your coaching staff. You might clear a little profit even if no fans show up for the games (and most won't except for parents on vacation).
The only thing is the UBL's winter league is $900 cheaper for the player. I'm not sure which city is closer to the border and any cheap and tawdry Mexican bars.

jaydensdadaz
11-20-2006, 11:43 PM
Hey Pietsch fan, no I don't work there i'm just a huge fan of the Independent Baseball and I go to all I can and in different states at that, it just amazes me how much crap is talked on here and makes me and others wonder if you are disgruntled employees or just haters, please explain so i'm on the right page if you will, I can tell you from what I heard in Yuma from a media person is that they are stoked about the winter league, why can't you guys do the same and instead you put them down, just asking, also I understand its through all the forms and all the Independent Baseball Leagues and not just this one.

sun_kissed_yuman
11-21-2006, 07:54 AM
I think some of you give the GBL league office FAR too much credit for knowing what they're doing. (whether it's trying to implement single entity; strive for a "carnival atmosphere" or generate interest/$$ with winter ball).

I've observed from the peanut gallery since before their first season.

They had a plan.

They didn't stick to it.

They haven't stayed focused.

They haven't kept their eye on the ball with respect to sponsors, league staff and key front office staff at the team levels.

My observation has been that league execs have not always been aware of what each other has been doing/saying/promising.

Things have gotten away from them, and they seem to fall back on what is comfortable and what is known to them (which unfortunately means they turn to non-baseball experiences and people).

They are NOT baseball people. They are theorists. There have been incidents where their lack of knowledge with regard to baseball tradition has been embarrassing to witness and actually made me wince.

The theory was a good one. Their execution stinks.

Very well said, Peanut Gallery.

From the Peanut Gallery
11-21-2006, 08:14 AM
Hey Pietsch fan, no I don't work there i'm just a huge fan of the Independent Baseball and I go to all I can and in different states at that, it just amazes me how much crap is talked on here and makes me and others wonder if you are disgruntled employees or just haters, please explain so i'm on the right page if you will, I can tell you from what I heard in Yuma from a media person is that they are stoked about the winter league, why can't you guys do the same and instead you put them down, just asking, also I understand its through all the forms and all the Independent Baseball Leagues and not just this one.

Media anywhere would be "stoked" as it means more sales for them. Obviously with a new product/season - something that has yet to be done in that market - it means the team/league will need to buy advertising in the papers, radio, etc to promote games to get fans out. So of course they'd be excited.

I'm not a "hater", just an observer that is confused that a business would want to launch a new product when they have difficulty supporting their primary ones as it is. They're expecting to go back to the same pool of sponsors and are now asking them to double-down as it were and support two seasons rather than one. Everyone's got their hand out in every market (whether it's the local YMCA, United Way, marching band to Disney World, girls fast pitch to regionals, etc.). It's an ambitious risk they're taking.

Pietsch Fan
11-21-2006, 08:45 AM

This post from another thread makes it sound like you do.

Apparently haters will be haters!! Are you jealous your not in the organization and it sounds like you are a disgruntled employee, apparently you have no clue of the money this league has, it just got another round of huge investors and we will succeed! If you have the balls to put this on here, have the balls to say your name sun baked. Talk is cheap and we will succeed and we are very excited where we are, misery loves company, do you like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and your family, or do you bash them there also, do you believe Santa Claus is the GRINCH! We have had lots of positive feedback from our sponsors and the community, so I don't know what pigeon is sending you wrong notes! So Disgruntled Employee please leave us alone and go back to myspace and play your games, we will be here for years to come as we are signing another 4 year lease here in 30 days for summer, were happy to say that.

We will suceed; we have had lots of positive feedback; we will be here for years; etc.

Since you have posted on all three recent threads you should already know all the gripes we have. If you review them you'll understand better where we are coming from. Employee or fan, if you continue to follow the GBL closely you'll experience similar troubles eventually.

sun_kissed_yuman
11-21-2006, 10:15 AM

No, I wasn't among the Scorpions office staff, just lucky to count among my friends a few of the booster club members and a host family. Those friends - and this forum - have certainly enlightened me to the antics of the GBL.

The GBL is indeed an independent league, and a new one in a tough market. As such I would have thought the league would have bent over backward to retain the quality people they had brought on before season one. Instead, most of them left during the first season, after the first season, or during the second season.

I cannot speak for the other teams in the GBL, but I do know that the Scorpions faces I was used to seeing around the ballpark aren't there any more. The players I can see moving on to better things; they are baseball players! And while I understand that people move from job to job, the turnover with the Yuma team office does seem unusually high. I wish I could have been a fly on the wall in that office when all of these people were quitting. Something smells fishy at Ray Kroc Stadium.

As a fan of baseball and a fan that at one time supported the Scorpions I believe I have a right to know what's up with the team and with the league. If they are making bad decisions it will, in a variety of way, affect this city.

And please stop with the name calling. It is juvenile and not necessary.

jaydensdadaz
11-21-2006, 10:52 AM
Sun Kissed I wish you were also as one of the guys who left was like a brother to me and all the ones who left were on great terms and for the better, let me ask you this and answer honestly please, you are sun kissed and you are in sales with the Scorpions and its independent baseball and you get an interview with San Diego State as marketing which would you take, another one is going to Peoria for the Mariners and the Padres and one other to the SF Giants, so if you ask me this is a stepping stone for people wanting to go higher and better places, just like the players, there goal is to go to the next level, so whats wrong with that picture sun kissed, all left on good terms and were friends of mine at the ball park, i'm a huge fan and don't miss games.