PDA

View Full Version : The End of the GBL?

sun_kissed_yuman
11-16-2006, 09:36 AM
Thanks to the gblinsider for keeping us posted.

I had initially thought that the problems with the GBL began with the Yuma club when their fine, hard-working, professional, dedicated front office staff abandoned ship at the end of season one and mid-way through season two. I still cannot get over the fact that all of those friendly faces are gone.

For those of you that have never seen a Scorpions game at Desert Sun Stadium, the differences between season one and two were like night and day.

Anyway...

From what I've been reading on the various boards and hearing around town at the local coffee shops and watering holes it's clearly a case of the GBL not having a clue, but being too proud and/or ignorant to admit (1) they screwed up on many, many levels and/or (2) they need the help of some people with business and baseball experience.

But I think that the GBL has burned so many bridges with regards to personnel and sponsors that it will be truly surprising if they will ever be able to rebound and have a respectable league.

Baseball is a small community and word gets around - staff, players, sponsors. Word of mouth is a very, VERY powerful thing and the negative things the GBL has done - and continues to do - only serves to hasten their eminate downfall.

ChicoOutlawsFan
09-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Thanks to the gblinsider for keeping us posted.

I had initially thought that the problems with the GBL began with the Yuma club when their fine, hard-working, professional, dedicated front office staff abandoned ship at the end of season one and mid-way through season two. I still cannot get over the fact that all of those friendly faces are gone.

For those of you that have never seen a Scorpions game at Desert Sun Stadium, the differences between season one and two were like night and day.

Anyway...

From what I've been reading on the various boards and hearing around town at the local coffee shops and watering holes it's clearly a case of the GBL not having a clue, but being too proud and/or ignorant to admit (1) they screwed up on many, many levels and/or (2) they need the help of some people with business and baseball experience.

But I think that the GBL has burned so many bridges with regards to personnel and sponsors that it will be truly surprising if they will ever be able to rebound and have a respectable league.

Baseball is a small community and word gets around - staff, players, sponsors. Word of mouth is a very, VERY powerful thing and the negative things the GBL has done - and continues to do - only serves to hasten their eminate downfall.
And it continues to be the case to this day! Despite lots of private ownership in the league now.

Hawk87
09-25-2009, 12:30 AM
The point is...be happy for what the GBL is...anyone can get all fired up complaining about how some league's are missing some corners.

The Yuma situation this year was unforgivable...but c'mon...there's only one indy league in the western US. We're here because we like the league, want to discuss the league...not rip the league to shreds.

I think it's a lot more fun to try to come up with some expansion worthy cities. I'll start with where I'm at...Prescott, AZ could support a team. We support a CHL hockey team very well. We'd be close to Yuma, Tucson, St. George....its a big tri-city area, over 100,000...

ChicoOutlawsFan
09-25-2009, 12:52 PM
If you only knew...

ChicoOutlawsFan
09-27-2009, 04:09 PM
We'll see.

Hawk87
09-27-2009, 05:06 PM
Tucson was such a success because they are essentially an experienced AAA franchise under the stewardship of Jay Zucker, not because they're a million times better than what was the Reno operation.

I think the GBL is at a crossroads. I think they are close to becoming the Atlantic League West that they initially intended to be.

The three Canadian franchises are amazing. Tucson is amazing. By the numbers, Chico has the best fan base of the smaller teams. Blair Field in Long Beach is an absolute gem of a place to see a game, and should be marketed as a Wrigley/Fenway to the LA area. Yuma played well in the season's second-half, and the Colombians will return next year conditioned to America and ready to compete. STG had a good year and is hopefully about to turn a corner. Orange County, while being horrible at the gate, had some of the best former MLB talent throughout the season.

...what does 2010 hold? Hopefully, a rebound with sponsorship money. Assumedly, budgets were tighter across all leagues.

League-wise for 2010:......gotta get one, if not two more Canadian franchises... Hopefully, resist the Hawaii expansion. How can that logically be cost-effective?...Make a logical schedule. Any logic in the divisions and scheduling has been absent...Don't even think about letting Tijuana back...Get more fringe MLB talent in their young 30's (i.e. Lima, Damian Jackson, Robert Fick) that live in CA to use the GBL as their "Atlantic League"...

Goals for 2011: American expansion. It seems a little late for private, well-financed ownership in a western US city to come out of the woodwork and have a GBL franchise ready for play in 2010 since we've not heard any rumors. The only rumors have been Canada, Hawaii, Tijuana. A few more great markets in WA, OR, CA, AZ, ID need to be researched.

Some cities : Prescott, AZ (geographic mix with Arizona teams and STG. Only 70 miles from Phoenix, sits at 4,000 ft. elevation)...SF/Oakland area (league offices, lots of rich investors in the area throwing money away on the UFL, geographic mix with Chico)...San Diego (return to that market, forget Tijuana. Go ahead and just market Mexican players where it's safe and reasonable in Chula Vista)...Medford, OR (only because of that great expansion website i first saw like, 2 years ago)...Phoenix Metro area (return to this market, there just seem to be too many nice spring training stadiums sitting empty during the summer. A rivalry with Tucson could stoke interest)...Seattle area (I know the NW is saturated with the affiliated NWL and PL. I dunno???)...

damn...I think so much about this, I need a job and a paycheck.

oldfatguy
09-29-2009, 11:58 AM
From what I understand Tucson fired their whole front office staff last week.

ChicoOutlawsFan
09-29-2009, 01:04 PM
We need proof of that. Do you have anything to sunstantiate that?

oldfatguy
09-29-2009, 01:23 PM
Call them. See who answers.

ChicoOutlawsFan
09-29-2009, 01:28 PM
I don't see how they can be successful in their first season and them fire the whole front office staff. If there was any news of that, it would be in the paper or something. When you called, who answered?

oldfatguy
10-02-2009, 12:45 PM
I am just telling you what I heard. I really don't NEED to prove anything, if I'm wrong so be it, but I'm not. The owner offered to let people stay on as commissioned sales people but said he couldn't pay them salaries. This is what I heard from someone I consider to be reliable.

Also, really, do you think they would put it in the paper that they let everyone go?

I also think it's funny that this 'end of the GBL' thread started three years ago. Maybe the GBL is a little stronger than people think?

JFeld127
10-07-2009, 07:52 PM
I think it's kind of funny that the original title of this thread is "The End of the GBL?" and it was posted way back in 2006. Now here we are entering the 2010 season.

Definitely a long way to go toward becoming completely entrenched in local communities, but it seems the GBL is getting there.

Just looking at Long Beach, in the past, minor league teams like the LB Barracuda, LB Riptide, and LB Breakers combined to play four years of baseball in Long Beach. The Long Beach Armada... now going into year SIX, more than all the others combined.

fisherholic
10-09-2009, 05:47 PM
I think it's kind of funny that the original title of this thread is "The End of the GBL?" and it was posted way back in 2006. Now here we are entering the 2010 season.

Definitely a long way to go toward becoming completely entrenched in local communities, but it seems the GBL is getting there.

Just looking at Long Beach, in the past, minor league teams like the LB Barracuda, LB Riptide, and LB Breakers combined to play four years of baseball in Long Beach. The Long Beach Armada... now going into year SIX, more than all the others combined.

not to mention the GBL just added a Hawaii team with 3 more on the Islands down the road!

indykid
11-21-2009, 07:55 PM
looks like another league is trying to get off the ground. thedesertleague.angelfire.com

Hawk87
12-01-2009, 07:03 PM
that's not much of a website.

Knuckleball
12-08-2009, 10:10 AM
Heh, "angelfire". I remember them.

indykid
12-09-2009, 05:02 PM
Off subject, but was anyone able to find out anything about the new desert leauge? desertleague.angelfire.com

I check their website for city information but it is not very detailed? I wonder if they will be in Southern Cali?

ChicoOutlawsFan
12-10-2009, 11:40 PM
I tried to find out about it, but got some error page.