PDA

View Full Version : Arizona Winter League

sun_kissed_yuman
11-16-2006, 09:22 AM
So, the Arizona Winter League will be making its home in Yuma for a month. I suppose that will put - compared to what the winter visitors bring in each winter - a very small amount in to the local economy.

To confirm my theory that the GBL is losing its @$$, this "winter league" (aka "instructional") will be charging $2900 per player. The first 100 that register are in. What happens if they end up registering 50 pitchers and 50 outfielders? That should make for some interesting baseball.

Also read in The Sun that day passes will be $6, $5 for Seniors.

Evidently this winter league has some sponsors on board. I have to wonder why there are so many new sponsors and very few repeat sponsors from seasons one and two. Mayhap Yuma businesses are getting wise to the creative bookkeeping the GBL prides itself on?

I also have to wonder how the Yuma front office plans to carry out this plan for the winter league. All of the front office staff worth anything has moved on, leaving only that walking, talking disaster to run (not run?) things, with the help of some interns and some volunteers.

I think the Grand Junction deal is being rushed in to way too soon. I think the GBL is hoping they can name another town, get some sponsorship dollars quick in an attempt to pay some bills and then Grand Junction will go dark just like Mesa, Surprise and the Japanese team.

I find it hard to believe anyone has faith in this league. Teams coming and going; staff turnover like a revolving door; unhappy sponsors with unfullfilled contracts.

When will this madness end?!

Pietsch Fan
11-16-2006, 10:26 AM
So, the Arizona Winter League will be making its home in Yuma for a month. I suppose that will put - compared to what the winter visitors bring in each winter - a very small amount in to the local economy.

To confirm my theory that the GBL is losing its @$$, this "winter league" (aka "instructional") will be charging $2900 per player. The first 100 that register are in. What happens if they end up registering 50 pitchers and 50 outfielders? That should make for some interesting baseball.

Really? Players will pay to play? I thought it was hard getting guys to play for $900 a month. Now they want them to pay to play? Whoa.

I think the Grand Junction deal is being rushed in to way too soon. I think the GBL is hoping they can name another town, get some sponsorship dollars quick in an attempt to pay some bills and then Grand Junction will go dark just like Mesa, Surprise and the Japanese team.

I find it hard to believe anyone has faith in this league. Teams coming and going; staff turnover like a revolving door; unhappy sponsors with unfullfilled contracts.

When will this madness end?!

According to another post the Grand Junction deal has been in the works since at least May of this year.

Good thing the GBL is a single owner entity, because if it weren't I would imagine individual owners jumping ship about now.

Pietsch Fan
11-16-2006, 10:44 AM
Really? Players will pay to play? I thought it was hard getting guys to play for $900 a month. Now they want them to pay to play? Whoa.

Answering my own post after looking at the web site.

If the league comes through with everything they offer (room, board, transportation and, most of all, live scouts attending) then I think it would be worth it to guys who weren't drafted or who are trying to get back into affiliated ball. However, the GBL is famous for screwing things up, so it'll be interesting to see how it really pans out.

For residents of Yuma this should be fun. Nothing like baseball in the balmy Yuma winter. And to think, if the GBL hadn't been such huge flipping idiots (trying to keep it clean) my family might have made a weekend trip over to catch some games. But now, not so much.

oregon_william
11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
Since my post a week or so ago about winter baseball, schedule for 2007, etc., I have been reading the various posts on this site.

I am beginning to get very concerned about what I am reading! Not all of our friends are here yet, but those of us that are here have been trying to research this league and find out what exactly is going on. It's starting to become a hot topic over coffee, and not in a positive way.

Does anyone have any idea if the league is in financial trouble? What are the chances that a third season will not happen? We have noticed by several comments that the league has lost a lot of good people to other jobs. Is this the rule in baseball or does this league have a higher than average turnover? What kind of experience with baseball do the people at the league level have? Were they former players or managers or are they college graduates with degrees in some type of sports managing?

Thanks, Bill.

jaydensdadaz
11-17-2006, 11:24 AM
Apparently haters will be haters!! Are you jealous your not in the organization and it sounds like you are a disgruntled employee, apparently you have no clue of the money this league has, it just got another round of huge investors and we will succeed! If you have the balls to put this on here, have the balls to say your name sun baked. Talk is cheap and we will succeed and we are very excited where we are, misery loves company, do you like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and your family, or do you bash them there also, do you believe Santa Claus is the GRINCH! We have had lots of positive feedback from our sponsors and the community, so I don't know what pigeon is sending you wrong notes! So Disgruntled Employee please leave us alone and go back to myspace and play your games, we will be here for years to come as we are signing another 4 year lease here in 30 days for summer, were happy to say that.

jaydensdadaz
11-17-2006, 11:25 AM
It sure is funny they already have in the first day 14 players signed up!

Chuck
11-17-2006, 12:48 PM
I can tell you this was a HUGE risk and we made a mistake! Little execution of the contract and very little support from the team and/or league. A matter of fact, 3 contacts that I have had conversations with at the league level are all gone - poof, vanished! We have dished out money to various sports properties through the years and NO ONE has ever treated us as poorly with lack of communication, fulfillment, or interest in a sponsor. We knew going into it though it was a risk, so shame on us and shame on them!

I do extend my deep disappointment with the GBL and likewise does an invester that I ran into at one of the games. Boy, his blood was boiling when he saw such a terrible crowd in the stands. I ran into the same investor later in the season and again he was really upset. He kept shaking his head saying "that's not what Kaval told me"...... (I assume attendance numbers). Anyhow, it's safe to say regardless of where the teams land in 2007 our pocket books remain tight to the GBL. I imagine a call from someone at the team will happen any day now..... asking to re-up our contract..... you really think so???

preeths
11-17-2006, 01:01 PM
An amazing coincidence that you found this board in the middle of this particular conversation!

Pietsch Fan
11-17-2006, 01:05 PM
I can tell you this was a HUGE risk and we made a mistake! Little execution of the contract and very little support from the team and/or league. A matter of fact, 3 contacts that I have had conversations with at the league level are all gone - poof, vanished! We have dished out money to various sports properties through the years and NO ONE has ever treated us as poorly with lack of communication, fulfillment, or interest in a sponsor. We knew going into it though it was a risk, so shame on us and shame on them!

I do extend my deep disappointment with the GBL and likewise does an invester that I ran into at one of the games. Boy, his blood was boiling when he saw such a terrible crowd in the stands. I ran into the same investor later in the season and again he was really upset. He kept shaking his head saying "that's not what Kaval told me"...... (I assume attendance numbers). Anyhow, it's safe to say regardless of where the teams land in 2007 our pocket books remain tight to the GBL. I imagine a call from someone at the team will happen any day now..... asking to re-up our contract..... you really think so???

Nah, past experience has shown that they at least know enough not to call back the sponsors they've screwed. They just try to get new, hopefully gullible, ones. Eventually they'll run out of sponsors they haven't already used and abused or srewed sponsors will start warning potential new sponsors and they'll have to move from market to market until they screw everyone so bad they have to close or sell.

Chuck
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I didn't "just find it", I have been observing this board for a while since I have a vested interest in the league as a sponsor. Various issues have been touched upon - - players, managers, offices closing, people feeling wronged, people liking what they see, etc... and now a sponsors point of view from what I have experienced as one that helps pay the GBL bills. I decided it was time for me to share more thoughts, my concerns and what a sponsors has gone through.

jaydensdadaz
11-18-2006, 01:07 AM
Investor, or sponsor, its a huge difference, and who are you, are you in Yuma or not, if you are come out to the games and see the difference this year, and yes if your a sponsor Re Up, why wouldn't you, we are here for yr 3 in summer and yr 1 in winter and they are negotiating for a 3-5 year extension as i write this.

Chuck
11-20-2006, 10:11 AM
I am a sponsor, my conversations have been with an investor (one that is listed on the investor page on the website). At this time I can not reveal who I am or where my sponsorship was placed with the GBL as my legal department is exploring breach of contract towards our agreement.

I think your question of why wouldn't I re-up is really, why would I? I already have one black eye, why in the world would I want another. I will look from a far in 2007 and besides the yearly signing of a former MLB great, I need more publicity and positive chatter which means - large crowds, excited crowds, fresh promotions, and a positive buzz - my feelings are the gbl / team that I give money to needs to earn my money, which they did not in 2006! Not being pompous, just honest - when my business can sponsor events that draw the same numbers for way less in $ and have positive community response and tie-in, you really need to evaluate why get involved with the GBL? It's not good business sense.....

My former contact at the GBL office indicated that Safeway / Vons is up soon - I imagine that with them signing on - GREAT for the GBL, no re-up and their goes the credibility that is in question by many.... if they opt out, no heavy hitters remain.

Pietsch Fan
11-20-2006, 10:48 AM
The Safeway/Vons sponsorship was so badly handled by the GBL. I visited Safeway and Vons stores in San Diego, Reno and Chico and found little or no advertising in the stores. Only one employee out of 4 or 5 stores I went to even had a passing knowledge that the GBL even existed, let alone who their team was or where they played. It's my understanding that that deal is for three years, making 2007 the final year. The individual teams need to work closer with the Safeway/Vons stores in their local areas to get pocket schedules, ticket information and posters into the stores.

sun_kissed_yuman
11-21-2006, 10:28 AM
Apparently haters will be haters!! apparently you have no clue of the money this league has, it just got another round of huge investors and we will succeed! Talk is cheap and we will succeed and we are very excited where we are, misery loves company, do you like Christmas, Thanksgiving, and your family, or do you bash them there also, do you believe Santa Claus is the GRINCH! We have had lots of positive feedback from our sponsors and the community, so I don't know what pigeon is sending you wrong notes! we will be here for years to come as we are signing another 4 year lease here in 30 days for summer, were happy to say that.

jaydensdadaz: you appear to have a lot of hate for those who express an opinion on this forum that doesn't agree with yours. Lighten up. Last I checked we all have the right to free speech.

jaydensdadaz
11-21-2006, 10:44 AM
Sun Kissed, not mad and yes its free speech I agree and yes i'm on the defensive as i'm a huge fan of baseball and all you see in here is hate towards the league etc, are you an ex employee?

preeths
11-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Not to point out the obvious, but the one overriding factory that might keep jaydensdadaz from fully supporting the South Coast League is that it is the South Coast League, based in the Southeast. If you're a fan of independent ball in the Southwest, the GBL is what you have.

sun_kissed_yuman
11-28-2006, 02:15 PM
It seems that the $2900 fee the GBL is charging for the Winter League is not going over so well. At last report there were less than 15 players signed up for the AWL and interest doesn't show that going much higher.

It is rumored however that the GBL will offer spots to players for FREE just to fill the league up so they don't look like complete idiots. It will be interesting to see what they do. This could be what decides the GBL's fate for 2007 and beyond!

Only 15 of 100 slots is not good. If the GBL were to offer any remaining spots free would they refund the registration fee to those who had paid? I cannot imagine that the paying players would be happy to know that there were players who had NOT paid! Would the players then be responsible for their own housing, meals, etc., if the fee were waived?

GBLCommish
11-28-2006, 07:32 PM
Actually, registrations for the Arizona Winter League are going quite well. We have 42 as of this evening which is less than 2 weeks since we announced, with 7 weeks to go. We would have had more, but we've had to turn away some players that hadn't realized that collegiate or pro experience was going to be necessary to be successful.

GBLInsider/John Whitt -- unfortunately, someone is feeding you inaccurate information on the Arizona Winter League and a variety of topics and they aren't doing you any favors, but thanks for turning around and letting up some on Ed Hart, Fullerton GM in your latest posts. You were a fine clubbie for us in Fullerton last year and an excellent concessions manager for Fullerton the year before, and I understand that you have some good opportunities that you are in interviews with for next season. I hope they work out as that's what Indy ball is all about -- giving players and employees opportunities to start or continue a career in pro baseball while putting a fun product on the field for the fans to enjoy.

Mary & Yvonne -- thanks for keeping the candle burning for the Surf Dawgs. As you know, it's not dead yet but certainly a struggle at the moment with the university. Please call me if you want to discuss in detail, you two are GBL Hall of Fame booster club members!

If anyone has any questions or concerns or suggestions for improvement for the GBL or AWL you can reach me directly at commish@goldenbaseball.com or on my direct line at 925-226-2896. I'll also begin checking this board regularly to provide accurate information and answer questions. I appreciate the passion and interest in the leagues.

Thanks,
Kevin Outcalt
Commissioner
Golden Baseball League
925-226-2896

Chuck
11-29-2006, 11:05 AM
Thanks Kevin for hopping on the board to provide "accurate" league information. As a former sponsor to the GBL and a business that was burned by the league, I wish you well in putting out the fires and putting a positive spin on the "state of the GBL".

Perhaps off-line, one day I'll give you a call to discuss my frustrations with the GBL that stemmed from the first awkward exchange from the AE at the team, to my last conversations with the league office with Mr. Munson, Kimberly Kelso, Joyce and un-returned calls from the league's "brass".

Good luck "commish", I cherish the GBL baseball with your signature, I have it right next to my Rickey Henderson Bobblehead and Mesa Miners Cap.

DawgsBooster2
11-29-2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for posting Commish. You were always an upstanding guy every time I interacted with you. Though, it was usually me selling you something, so my memory might be a bit tainted. ;)

Note to all: of all the GBL higher ups, the Commish was THE only one that was quick to buy 50/50 tickets or whatever the Kennel Club was hawking at the moment. And he'd usually shame some of the others into buying too.

Commish, not for nuthin' but it's hard to even know who's talking straight anymore. I totally thought that Mary and I had a good relationship with Amit and that we'd be treated better than Mesa and Surprise, yet, really not so much.

One article by the UT was all roses and sunshine (things running normal with just regular off-season negotiations going on). But I read the letter TK sent out, there are several players who keep in touch, and knew hed been let go long before the second UT article was printed.

Im pissed at how we in San Diego have been treated, how weve been lied to. But I still wish the GBL well, I still hope that the Dawgs come back. Here at SDSU or at USD or wherever yall end up. My boy likes baseball, your product beats the Padres in price/convenience and so me & mine will be there if there are Dawgs to be seen.

Pietsch Fan
11-29-2006, 02:25 PM
Speaking for the Surf Dawgs, I can tell you that management was given many, many, many good ideas on how to increase attendance and sponsorships, but few, if any, of the suggestions were ever followed up on. The GBL doesn't realize or want to admit that you have to spend money to make money. No advertising budget? Huh? That makes no sense at all. And they never had enough office personnel to take care of all the tasks that needed to be taken care of. To be fair, maybe the staff wasn't capable, but that's the GBL's fault, too. Even now, the GBL is missing out on tons of free word of mouth advertising and special event presence because instead of letting us help them, they've lied and denied. If they come back, we'll be back on the front lines trying to get butts in the seats and paying sponsors, but even then, we can't be assured those fans and advertisers will be treated well or fairly. Frustrating!!!!! I sit and wait and hope for more information.

DawgsBooster2
11-29-2006, 03:32 PM
I believe that is what everyone would like, the GBL to simply be honest and upfront with everyone.

Which is all I've asked for personally all along from Amit and only recently from the Commish.

They want what's best for the GBL. My hope is that what's best for the GBL will include a team here in San Diego.

GBLCommish
11-30-2006, 01:35 AM
Thanks Kevin for hopping on the board to provide "accurate" league information. As a former sponsor to the GBL and a business that was burned by the league, I wish you well in putting out the fires and putting a positive spin on the "state of the GBL".

Perhaps off-line, one day I'll give you a call to discuss my frustrations with the GBL that stemmed from the first awkward exchange from the AE at the team, to my last conversations with the league office with Mr. Munson, Kimberly Kelso, Joyce and un-returned calls from the league's "brass".

Good luck "commish", I cherish the GBL baseball with your signature, I have it right next to my Rickey Henderson Bobblehead and Mesa Miners Cap.

Chuck -- please do call me, I'd like your perspective and to see if there is anything I can resolve for you.

Thanks,
Kevin
925-226-2896