PDA

View Full Version : The lowdown on the ABA

gonzo13
11-05-2006, 08:53 PM
I just found out today that my hometown is getting an ABA franchise next season. So I've been browsing through the ABA forum and I've seen alot of posts that raised a few questions for me. Like for one, will the league still be here when next season rolls around? Another thing that concerns me is the time of year that the season takes place. Rome is a city of about 85,000,there are about 120,000 in the whole county, with 6 highschools and two colleges who will also be playing basketball at the same time that the ABA season is taking place. For the past 3 years, we've had a WBA team that drew fairly well, probably because they've won alot, but they played during the summer, so I don't know if this new team will do as well competing for butts in seats. Anyway, I'm just curious about things like the success rate of these teams, how well they are promoted, and over all stability of the league. I'm not asking for people that just want to trash the league....just a few facts.

nksports
11-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Will the league be around next season? Probably.
Will your team start the season? Most likely not.
Success rate of the teams -- most fold within one to two years (one to two weeks is not uncommon). The last original franchise of the new ABA, the Kansas City Knights, folded before the start of last season.

gonzo13
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
Any ideas on what is the biggest factor in failure for these teams?

psbf
11-06-2006, 12:06 AM
Let me give you something else to think about. Of those teams that have folded, you should find out how solid the investor for your local team is. That will give you an idea of how solid your franchise is. Find out if the team owner has good credit, many in the league have folded because of the owners are irresponsible, but there are good teams who survive also, yours could be one if you have a knowledgable owner.

gonzo13
11-06-2006, 12:13 AM
The owners have more than proven themselves in the business world, so the business end of things should be ok. I'm not sure what kind of basketball people they are though. Hopefully there will be a knowledgable GM in place.

Fells
11-06-2006, 07:08 AM
Gonzo,

In researching the ABA, there are a few major problems with the league. First of all, teams seem to come and go at an alarming pace. Take for example this season where there are a couple of teams that have folded before the season even started!! There are also teams that are being added just days before the season even starts. How in the world can a team be a success if they have to throw something together at the last minute? If I try to cook a seven course meal in ten minutes, it won't be good; same concept here.

Over the course of their recent history, the ABA has not done a good job of even finishing up their schedules. Last year I believe the league only completed just half of their scheduled games. In the past the league has also not done a good job of even keeping stats, or paying bills. In fact, the refs have to be paid in cash before each game. Yes, past owners have had a habit of writing checks that are pure rubber.

psbf
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
In addition to the teams that have folded, I've not seen anyone mention those who have switched leagues.

nksports
11-07-2006, 12:34 AM
Usually the teams that jumped were teams that were doing a little better, but were POd at the ABA business model and getting a lot of games canceled. A few on the bottom end also tried to jump and didn't make it.

Last year, Lincoln was one of the AAPBA disasters (a bigger scam than the ABA that charged players a $1,000 tryout fee for a two week camp and then tossed in the towel with lots of bills unpaid and lots of people burned. It started to unravel when Cedar Rapids' arena wanted all of its money up front). The Lincoln owner then jumped to the ABA, but ended the season when all of its opponents pretty much folded.

bdaly
11-07-2006, 09:24 AM
Usually the teams that jumped were teams that were doing a little better, but were POd at the ABA business model and getting a lot of games canceled. A few on the bottom end also tried to jump and didn't make it.

That's what it comes down to with the ABA--it depends on your region. The northeast has a number of fairly good teams. So even if someone falters, you'll easily be able to slot someone else in. Other areas, however, haven't had enough of a concentration of strong teams. So, suddenly, you're left with having to pay significant sums of money for travel or you play the same team a lot.

So, if some teams in your region look strong, then it increases your team's odds of being able to succeed next year. The ABA has made some management changes, which should only be a good thing. We'll see how they deal with some of the issues when they occur. Really, I only see the NBADL is a stable winter minor league (meaning everyone will make it through the season). I expect the CBA to have issues too. But it makes following the leagues more interesting.

gonzo13
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
My skepticism comes from my experience with indoor football. Leagues propping up a franchise in a town just for the sake of having teams, and the more stable teams jumping ship for other leagues. It's a common pattern in indoor football, and it looks like that may be the case here also. I guess only time will tell if the Rome team will survive. I've heard from people associated with the team that there is a plan in place to publicize the team over the next year before they even take the court. I've also heard that there are major sponsors already in place, so maybe that will make a difference. Sucks to have to be such a skeptic....

Fells
11-07-2006, 01:14 PM
Gonzo,

Being a skeptic comes with the territory of the ABA.........

psbf
11-08-2006, 03:12 PM
Maybe I missed something, but I did not see any news on either of the Las Vegas at Gallup games. What was the score of the second game(and who won)?

preeths
11-08-2006, 03:45 PM
Check our ABA section and Las Vegas or Gallup pages. We have all scores for games scheduled to this point.

TEN
11-08-2006, 05:38 PM
Just saw in a local news story that they had 250 season tickets between their two locations (which I think would mean that they would have revenue for 125 full season tickets)...For what was considered a successful ABA team that isn't a lot of season tickets. I would have thought they would have 500 to 1000. It will take a lot for them to draw 1500 to 2000 a night with that small of a season ticket base....

psbf
11-08-2006, 06:04 PM
Thanks, Preeths.

On another matter, it would be nice if the teams included their turnout figures with their game summaries.

Ken, Steelheads fan
11-13-2006, 10:47 PM
That's what it comes down to with the ABA--it depends on your region. The northeast has a number of fairly good teams. So even if someone falters, you'll easily be able to slot someone else in. Other areas, however, haven't had enough of a concentration of strong teams. So, suddenly, you're left with having to pay significant sums of money for travel or you play the same team a lot.

So, if some teams in your region look strong, then it increases your team's odds of being able to succeed next year. The ABA has made some management changes, which should only be a good thing. We'll see how they deal with some of the issues when they occur. Really, I only see the NBADL is a stable winter minor league (meaning everyone will make it through the season). I expect the CBA to have issues too. But it makes following the leagues more interesting.

The ABA has made some management changes, which should only be a good thing? Huh? Do you mean Doyle and John Salley? The recent team foldings after the season started only prove that Doyle and Salley are figureheads. If an owner runs out of money, then that's it. Game over! They're out of cash! What are Doyle and Salley going to do? Use harsh words? A personal loan until next payday would be more effective.

BTW, the Baltimore owner blaming the demise of his team (forget about next year because they ALL say that one) in part on the sponsors is a classic. Heck, all failed teams can use that excuse. If all the failed teams had enough sponsor support, then there wouldn't be ANY failed teams.

psbf
11-13-2006, 11:22 PM
In any kind of a business, sports or otherwise, you need good, responsible people to count on. Run background checks on them and check their resumes. You have to be thorough.