PDA

View Full Version : Staten Island Yanks lose radio coverage

ACsurfan
06-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Can someone tell me why the Staten Island Yankees are no longer on WSIA, the radio voice of Staten Island? Use to love listening to their games on-line and occasionally at St Georges Park...

RMc
07-02-2006, 04:00 PM
From the WSAI web site:

"The Staten Island Yankees have announced that they will not sign a contract with the College of Staten Island for broadcasting this season. This is a disappointing development and we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. For more information concerning this matter, please contact the Staten Island Yankees."

BTBBuddy
07-29-2006, 06:45 PM
Can someone tell me why the Staten Island Yankees are no longer on WSIA, the radio voice of Staten Island? Use to love listening to their games on-line and occasionally at St Georges Park...

It comes down to dollars. The college would charge $24K to broadcast the season. The audience was about twelve. There weren't enough sponsers to pay for it.:(

zuma jay
08-04-2006, 02:16 PM
Let me get this straight?

New York Taxpayers built a $70 million ballpark on Staten Island yet the host club can't afford to pay a lousy $24,000 to have its games broadcast on a radio station covering Staten Island not to mention parts of Manhattan, Brooklyn and Jersey...

And the reason the club can't afford it is that no one listens to the games?

Folks, we're talking about the biggest media market in America here...and its a freakin' Yankees farm no less !

Go figure...

Fells
08-04-2006, 05:02 PM
It may be the country's largest media market, but it is the Staten Island Yankees and not the New York Yankees. I was a little surprised when I was covering the Lake Monster/Yankee series this week, but not having a radio person at least gave me a place to sit in a very cramped press box.