PDA

View Full Version : Designated Hitter rule in GBL

Powerslave
06-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Does anyone else besides me think the inclusion of the DH in the GBL is a terrible idea? The league just got a lot more boring.

whitestag
08-01-2006, 03:50 PM
What would they do with Jose Canseco? He is their new money maker. I think the idea is to keep their money flowing and to make sure that their pitchers focus on pitching so they can sell their contracts. But then again, that backfired with the Armadas, when Darrell Evans released his 1st/DH, Samone Peters and Jose complaining about a bad back setting the luxury of LA. Oh, lets put our starter in to DH (Bud Smith) to find out that on his first swing of the the bat he ends up on the DL list. Try to figure that on out. :confused:

Silver Sox Fan
06-11-2007, 02:13 PM
This is an older post but the question still applies.

I'll be the first to say I enjoy the DH rule. It creates better offense (potentially) and the pitcher can focus on pitching. And with the smaller rosters of the GBL, the DH is usally just a way to get a utility player into the game to get some at bats since there is no way you could invest in a guy who could only hit--at least not long term due to the rules (no waiver or DL) and the roster size.

Being a D-backs fan first (sorry, Orioles), I definitely can relate to some of the reasons folks dislike the DH...takes away a strategic component of the game, pitcher never can face retaliation for a hit batsmen, pure baseball means everyone plays both ways, etc.

But I think it works great for the GBL...maybe even better than for the Majors.

What do you folks think?

Pietsch Fan
06-11-2007, 03:00 PM
Since the majority (all?) of the other independent leagues do it, then it does make sense. Also, and don't tell any of the players I said this, since 99.99% of them will never make it to the bigs, does it really matter whether or not the pitcher can/does hit?

Mary

heavesrock
06-11-2007, 10:21 PM
I think it takes away one more pitcher than you could have and hence puts more strain on the pitchers. It should be done away with throughout baseball.

Thorp
06-12-2007, 12:58 AM
The DH seems to be for the most part an individual that isn't as good at bat and is just a utility player. The pitching staff seems to need the extra player. The player/coaches seem to be over rated.