PDA

View Full Version : Name York's Team

Bstormer25
06-07-2006, 07:42 AM
The contest is under way to name York's team for 2007 season. The finalists are:

York Revolution
York Dukes
York Choppers
York Steel Horses
York White Roses

Revolution and Dukes reference York's revolutionary war involvement. Choppers and Steel Horses is in homage to the Harley-Davidson plant that is there. White Roses is the longtime name of the minor league team that used to play there.

When Lancaster had this contest, a lot of people--myself included, wanted the "Red Roses" over the "Barnstormers", since the Roses were Lancaster's historic team. But in the end Barnstormers has worked out pretty well.

Being a traditionalist, I'm pulling for the York White Roses. But anything would be better than Choppers or Steel Horses.

barnstormin
06-07-2006, 09:01 AM
I was in the same situation as you. I wanted the name to be the Red Roses and thus the perfect fit for York would be the White roses. Seemed like a simple thing to pick those names really and I was extrmemly disappointed when it didn't happen. I wasn't happy with the name Barnstormers at the time but it has come to grow on me. Unfortunately everything is about marketing and logos.....now I am not thrilled with the Barnstormers logo either...if it was going to be a vintage type L...they should have just stayed with the Red Roses. I doubt that White Roses will win...just because those other names are more "logo friendly" thus selling more merchandise..etc etc. I rather like the Steel Horses or Choppers.

ACsurfan
06-07-2006, 02:11 PM
How about the York Yahoos? That might generate a lot of merch sales...

Seriously, anybody know when the proposed York ballpark will break ground? Any chance the stadium will be ready for the 2007 season? Finally, what is the proposed capacity?

Bstormer25
06-07-2006, 06:51 PM
They are supposed to break ground on the stadium pretty soon. An article in the York local paper said they are still planning on being ready for the 2007 season. They had to overcome a lot of red tape to get the stadium site and their funding in order so hopefully they won't run into any more snags. I've heard that if they break ground by August they will get it done in time. We'll see...the people that run the Barnstormers (Keystone Baseball) are also running the York team and they are pretty competent people, so I'd be really surprised if it doesn't happen for next season.

It should hold about 5,000.

Here's an article with some useful info:

http://www.yorkdispatch.com/features/yorkbaseball

TimosMami2003
06-08-2006, 11:04 AM
York Yahoos is cool...... but what would their uniforms and mascot look like?!! heehee

I kinda like the Choppers - I don't think I've ever heard of any other team being named the Choppers. Again tho-what would the mascot be?

They need to remember that info when choosing a name!!

Duckfan
06-09-2006, 02:13 PM
The Mascot problem is simple. Just use a giant hog. Pig races between innings would probably be very popular.

TimosMami2003
06-09-2006, 08:08 PM
Just use a giant hog.

Funny you mention that - the Everett Aquasox used to have a big hog take balls to the ump, and everyone got a kick out of it! Haven't been to a game here in ages, so I don't know if they still do that or not... they'd even have the hog doing tricks, like running away from the ump. Pretty funny and entertaining, I say!!