PDA

View Full Version : Ducks sign Juan Gonzalez

Duckfan
06-01-2006, 09:51 PM
What happened to Juan? I know he's been as fragile as glass ( bad hamstrings)the past few years but the Red Sox signed him to a contract in March. Anyone know why they cut him loose? Is he still damaged goods?

TimosMami2003
06-02-2006, 04:17 PM
Hey! Actually I had heard from Sandy that they got Gonzalez. And then on top of it, a few pitchers were traded as well.
I don't know the name of the Road Warriors pitcher that got sent to LI, but I do know that LI sent Brian Giles to the Warriors. Its funny, because Sandy used to play w/Giles back in the Dodger days...kind of nice to know someone you've played with!

Don't really know the whole story on Gonzalez tho... as soon as I hear, you'll be the first to know!

Bstormer25
06-08-2006, 02:29 PM
Gonzalez was cut by Boston for the same reason he was cut by Texas the year before and why he didn't play for Long Island on Tuesday night...he's out of baseball shape!!! If you remember when he was with Texas 2 years ago he started the season on the DL and when he finally played he tore his hamstring in his first at-bat trying to beat out a ground ball. And he never really had a reputation as a "hustler" out on the field. He could get away with that when he was a super-slugger back in the early 90s, but not afterwards.

He took BP before the game vs. Lancaster on Tuesday but was told he wasn't going to play b/c he wasn't in game shape. That's just sad when you're only 60 some HRs away from 500. Apparently he only hit one ball out of the park.

barnstormin
06-08-2006, 03:33 PM
yeah that's true about Juan only hitting one ball out during BP on tues!! I attend every game getting there early to snag bp balls and autographs in the players lot. Weds night BP was rained out. Juan still wasn't in the lineup either...according to reports , "wet field conditions" kept him out of Weds lineup. Sounds like they are jerking the fans around. If he's only going to DH why not play him! timos mami...Brian giles? Is that really who you mean?

Polish Hammer
06-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Gonzalez was cut by Boston for the same reason he was cut by Texas the year before and why he didn't play for Long Island on Tuesday night...he's out of baseball shape!!! If you remember when he was with Texas 2 years ago he started the season on the DL and when he finally played he tore his hamstring in his first at-bat trying to beat out a ground ball. And he never really had a reputation as a "hustler" out on the field. He could get away with that when he was a super-slugger back in the early 90s, but not afterwards.

He took BP before the game vs. Lancaster on Tuesday but was told he wasn't going to play b/c he wasn't in game shape. That's just sad when you're only 60 some HRs away from 500. Apparently he only hit one ball out of the park.I just wanted to reply in order to straighten some things out.

1)Gonzalez was cut by Boston for the same reason he was cut by Texas the year before and why he didn't play for Long Island on Tuesday night...he's out of baseball shape!!! - Wrong! He wasn't cut by Boston, he wasn't out of shape and he isn't out of shape now. He signed a minor league deal with the Red Sox, the same weekend the Sox then swung a deal for Willy Mo Pena who would be filling the same role. Gonzalez decided against reporting to camp and the contract was voided.

2)If you remember when he was with Texas 2 years ago he started the season on the DL and when he finally played he tore his hamstring in his first at-bat trying to beat out a ground ball.Wasn't Texas, wasn't 2 years ago either. It was last season and it was the Cleveland Indians.

TimosMami2003
06-09-2006, 08:50 PM
timos mami...Brian giles? Is that really who you mean?

Yep, sorry.

Duckfan
06-10-2006, 09:36 PM
At the rate the Yankees are losing outfielders, Juan could be wearing pinstripes shortly. If he stays healthy and keeps hitting the way he has been, I give him a month at best.

TimosMami2003
06-11-2006, 11:58 AM
I give him a month at best.

My thoughts exactly. I never saw him playing the whole season there, let alone a whole month. Never was a huge fan of Gonzalez. He can go to the Yankees for all I care... (Yankees hater here haha). :rolleyes: