PDA

View Full Version : Will the new Newark trolley boost Bears crowds?

zuma jay
06-01-2006, 08:30 AM
I remember back in the heyday of Newark Bears baseball when Johnny #1 fan got the crowd pumped and Ozzie Canseco was blasting home runs onto Rt 21.

Last year and now ... this year, it seems Bears home attendance keeps declining. There always used to be 2,500 to 3,500 fans at The Den. Last night the Bears drew a paltry 900 fans.

Let's hope more people are drawn to The Den in a few weeks when the light rail system starts up. There is a stop right at Gate C of Bears & Eagles Stadium.

Too bad the new Newark Mayor hates the Bears...

Duckfan
06-01-2006, 12:06 PM
The Bears aren't the only team suffering a dip in attendance. I wonder if it's because of the rebirth of the Mets? They're usually out of the pennant race by now.

TimosMami2003
06-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Wasn't this one of the teams someone mentioned before as being the first to go?? Now we'll know why...

beatman10
06-08-2006, 06:20 PM
for a weeknight game can be brutal. But the team stinks right now. The starting pitching is decent(except for that 13-0 drubbing by the Barnstormers last week:cry: ) But the Bears can't score. They often look overmatched at the plate and they strike out too much. Going 0 for 9 during their last homestand won't help either. You can have a great field, great promotions and giveaways but if the product on the field is bad, attendance will continue to struggle. I am a Bears season ticket holder and I love Newark and the Bears. It would also be nice if NJ would promote its largest city as the showcase for the state instead of putting it down all the time!

Duckfan
06-09-2006, 02:34 PM
The first thing you're going to have to do is convince the residents of Newark and it's environs that they have something of value at Bears Stadium. They have a great park, reasonable prices, good baseball and yet they stay away in droves. Sure, they stink right now but that can change in a heartbeat. They've been at the top before and I'm sure they'll return. I've been to Newark for several Ducks games. They have a core base of loyal rabid fans but that's not enough. Someone has to get the residents of Newark to go out and see a game.