PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Start-Up

South Atlantic
01-26-2004, 06:28 PM
I am looking for feedback from people who are involved or have high knowledge of minor league basketball.

First thing I am looking for is what people's take of 'another' minor league being formed? I think the WBA is the latest league that is being formed. I trust that Leroy and Milton have their homework done.

Second thing, is what are peoples take on forming regional basketball leagues in smaller cities similar to what the independent baseball teams do? It seems that this would help travel costs.

Third thing, I know college baseball has summer 'pro' leagues around the country, the players do not get paid, and wondered why not form a collegiate basketball league? Does anyone know if rules prohibit it or not?

Thanks for your input.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-08-2004, 02:48 AM
I am looking for feedback from people who are involved or have high knowledge of minor league basketball.

First thing I am looking for is what people's take of 'another' minor league being formed? I think the WBA is the latest league that is being formed. I trust that Leroy and Milton have their homework done.

Second thing, is what are peoples take on forming regional basketball leagues in smaller cities similar to what the independent baseball teams do? It seems that this would help travel costs.

Third thing, I know college baseball has summer 'pro' leagues around the country, the players do not get paid, and wondered why not form a collegiate basketball league? Does anyone know if rules prohibit it or not?

I don't know about high knowledge of minor league basketball (although most posters on this board think I must be 'high' for supporting ANYTHING Isiah Thomas does), but I try to do the 'math' on minor league basketball and baseball for my own edification.

First thing, another real basketball league would be great in my opinion. Look at all the successful minor league baseball leagues. However, another POORLY run and UNDER financed basketball league would be just another step backwards for professional basketball. More and more real investors will see minor league basketball as an idea that just won't work.

Second thing, how regional? Basketball is generally viewed as strictly an 'urban' sport (except in a basketball-crazed state like Indiana). If you're talking about rural communities within a one hundred mile radius, then you will probably have difficulty (an impossible time?) putting people in the stands. If you're talking about small urban centers within a 500 mile arch, then it would work if you are also talking about a well run and well financed operation.

Third thing, hey! I'm familiar with summer baseball leagues for college baseball players with eligibility left...at least I'm familiar with the Norwoods league that operates in the upper midwest. The players stay in 'host' homes and travel to various towns playing baseball--just like minor league players, except no salaries.

Funny thing! The growth of the Norwoods baseball league is how I envision minor league basketball growing...

Not through an organized college basketball summer league. Heck no! NCAA college basketball is big business. It would never work. Too much of a chance for career ending injuries or career ending illegal monetary contributions.

The Norwoods league grew because teams in this league play in former minor league ballparks for the most part. The minor league teams that once occupied these ballparks asked local governments to pay for 'improvements' to the parks. When the local governments refused, the minor league teams relocated (in a heartbeat) to towns willing to not only 'improve' existing ballparks, but to build NEW parks--skyboxes and all. Now, the beforementioned local governments are without local revenue generating baseball and are beginning to see the error of their ways. Norwood league organizers seize the moment and pitch their idea to these governmental bodies. This time the Locals are all too willing to erect additional seating and party decks for the teams. Baseball has returned to 'Mudville'. :)

Some Norwood league teams now outdraw the minor league pro teams they replaced. I see that as the only way minor league basketball will survive. Teams will have to partner with local governments. Locals improve existing arenas (construct party decks and luxury suites for example) or build new arenas that already have fan amenities. Teams on the other hand draw consumers into the community that normally wouldn't be there.

fan6
03-05-2004, 11:56 AM
What will you call your new league SOUTH ATLANTIC?
HOW about the MID-ATLANTIC BASKETBALL LEAGUE?