PDA

View Full Version : ABA All Star update

Fla Hoops
02-12-2006, 01:14 PM
The ABA had their All-Star game yesterday in Ft. Lauderdale. There were about 3,000 fans (not sure on paid attendance) . Before the game they had a three point contest which was won by White Chocalate. The they had a slam dunk contest won by a teammate of white chocalates from the Maryland team. Former Florida Atlantic Univ. player Avery Headly was second.

The game was entetaining and was won by the East 129-127. Former UNLV and NBA star Armon Gilliam was MVP. Tim Hardaway also started for the East.

The ABA has an entetaining brand of ball but they need better promtions from the league office.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Hmmmmm. My understanding is that there were about 1,000 in attendance. However, I wasn't there (so I wouldn't know whether there were actually about 1,000 or 3,000). Are there any photos from the game that include crowd shots?

The website below includes crowd shots from the 2005 CBA all*star game.

Fla Hoops
02-12-2006, 03:08 PM
I was at the game. Like I said in my original post I am not sure what the paid attendance was but there were at least 3,000 or so fans. The place wasn't packed but htere were plenty of people sitting on both sides of the lower bowl.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Are there any ABA all*star game crowd shots available on the Internet somewhere? I couldn't find any on the Florida website. A picture is worth a thousand words.

Fla Hoops
02-14-2006, 08:39 PM
link to ABA press release in regards to the All_Star game

http://www.abalive.com/news/releases/?newsid=2006021406005

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-14-2006, 10:14 PM
ABAlive.com is too unreliable a source for ANY information in my opinion. Was there any independent media coverage of the ABA all*star game? If not, maybe someone brought a digital camera to the game and took notes.

bdaly
02-24-2006, 04:22 PM
Here's a picture from the ABA website:

http://www.abalive.com/abaphotos/photo.cgi?photo=20060218195502

If Rochester advances (I can't see too many people going to see Indiana v. Harlem here), the "great eight" championship weekend should be fairly well attended. The last two Rochester games had legit crowds of 6,200 and 4,300.

Ken, Steelheads fan
02-24-2006, 07:13 PM
Thanks bdaly for the photos. A picture INDEED speaks a thousand words. Maybe when the band returned to their seats, it seemed like a couple of thousand more people were in the house.

bdaly
02-25-2006, 12:34 AM
From what I heard, there was some confusion on the start time, plus it's a halftime photo. Additionally, since it was an all day event, there is the possibility there was some in and out. So 4,000 folks over the course of the game, 3 point, and slam dunk competition might be a possibility. But, it's difficult to figure out why there should have been any confusion over the start time. The ABA Live show estimated the crowd at 3K.

There are some good ABA clubs from what I've seen. Particularly in the NE. Harlem is a very good club. Newark and Strong Island can hold their own. Montreal is decent and draws well. Buffalo seems to have come back together with new ownership. Maryland is also pretty strong. They've got to work on minimum standards though. The in and out is what really hinders the league and its image.

Assuming Rochester doesn't get upset and makes the final eight which is held here, it should be a good event. The team is well run and is active in the community. Ownership has confirmed they've received interest from the CBA, IBL, and NBDL. If anything happens, the CBA seems most likely with their effort to increase NE teams. I don't have a big gripe with the ABA though. However, minimizing issues like when the Razorsharks had to pay Niagara to bus them here for a game is critical.

We'll see. The ABA is an interesting concept with the low expansion fees. However, they need to get some sort of guarantee/credit when it comes to operating capital. Otherwise, it's not fair to the 15 or 20 very well run operations.