PDA

View Full Version : NBA Lockout?

Shootmaster_44
07-05-2011, 02:15 PM
With the NBA locking out its' players how does that affect the D-League? I would imagine that any players who are card carrying members of the NBAPA can't participate in D-League games. I realize that non-NBAPA members would have no problems, since I don't believe there is a CBA in the D-League, nor do all D-League players have to join the NBAPA. But it does create some interesting scenarios for the D-League teams.

I'd also imagine that if NBAPA members do play in the D-League, the Players Association will treat them as scabs. I'm not sure whether the NBAPA is the same as the MLBPA as far as licensing of players' names and likenesses, but it could cause any potential player to lose out on any licensing money. I know some of the '95 MLB Replacement Players are still not in the MLBPA and it caused a couple players from the Red Sox World Series teams who couldn't appear on the Team Roster shirts etc.

dmbishop
07-06-2011, 02:17 PM
I believe that according to the NBA, NBAPA players are not allowed to play in the D-League. Ironically, they can play in other independent leagues and/or exhibitions, but injuries could result in forfeiture of their contracts after the strike is over if they are not 100%. Also, if I remember correctly, NBA players currently under contract to an NBA team cannot play in FIBA recognized leagues, but free agents are good to go.

As far as the scab issue goes, I don't think that will apply. It's one of the differences between a strike and a lockout.

By the way, if you go to nba.com you will see that they have removed all images of current NBAPA players from the site (even from the player profiles).

Dave

dmbishop
07-07-2011, 03:24 PM
Guess I was wrong about the FIBA thing since the Nets' starting point guard is about to sign with a Turkish team and nobody is complaining.

Dave

Shootmaster_44
07-08-2011, 04:33 PM
Guess I was wrong about the FIBA thing since the Nets' starting point guard is about to sign with a Turkish team and nobody is complaining.

Dave

That doesn't surprise me. When the NHL lockout happened, the IIHF had no problem with NHL players signing in Europe. I would imagine, that playing in Europe is a better option than the D-League etc. since the European teams would likely have the insurance to cover injuries.

I do imagine that a few NBA players may sign with minor league teams either in their NBA team's city or their hometown. I know some NHL players played in low level leagues simply to keep in shape. Scott Gomez, then of the Devils signed with Alaska of the ECHL and Chris Chelios of the Red Wings signed with Motor City in the UHL. The ECHL is about the equivalent of AA baseball and the UHL high single A. So you might see some of the players doing this with PBL or D-League teams. I can't see any NBA player heading into the ABA or any of the smaller leagues. If this drags on and causes the league to kill next season, I could see some players playing in the IBL to stay in shape.

va_b
11-24-2011, 10:13 AM
By the way, if you go to nba.com you will see that they have removed all images of current NBAPA players from the site (even from the player profiles).

Dave[/QUOTE]

This is really sad. specially to a big NBA fan like me. hope they solve the issue soon..:(