PDA

View Full Version : Baltimore is infact the oldest indoor team!

BlastFan
05-28-2011, 08:31 AM
Jim Lindenburg says it for himself!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCz9lHd3y_k&feature=related

"The Wave were shut down for a week and all the staff were sent home." (00:20-00:30)

Soo... whether you compare the number of years in each city (31-Baltimore to 27-Milwaukee) or the "new" Blast to the "new" Wave, considering both had "stopped operations" for a period of time, (19-Baltimore to 2-Milwaukee) the Baltimore Blast are clearly the longest continually operated professional indoor soccer team!

preeths
05-28-2011, 09:34 AM
You're still wrong. The Wave is the same franchise it's always been. The one-week he mentions would be nothing but a furlough for employees. Why are you so hung up on this. Oh, and the Milwaukee Wave beat the Baltimore Blast for the 2010-11 MISL title!

BlastFan
05-28-2011, 09:45 AM
Well the Blast/Spirit have been continuously operating since 1980 and the week or so they were "gone" after the MISL folded seems like the same situation the Wave were just recently in (just saying).

When the wave say they are the oldest franchise, in reality they are just saying they've kept the same name for a longer period of time.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the Wave winning the championship. The Blast lost just to keep the league a little more exciting. :rolleyes:

Sam Hill
05-28-2011, 11:28 AM
Good for the tuna.

The Spirit were a completely new organization.

Washington Times, August 8, 1992: "Baltimore might have lost the Blast, but it hasn't lost its spirit. Baltimore's new soccer team is called the Baltimore Spirit and will play ..."

But even that doesn't matter. What on Earth do you gain whether or not your team or Milwaukee is the oldest franchise? Who cares?

preeths
05-28-2011, 02:19 PM
Well the Blast/Spirit have been continuously operating since 1980 and the week or so they were "gone" after the MISL folded seems like the same situation the Wave were just recently in (just saying).

When the wave say they are the oldest franchise, in reality they are just saying they've kept the same name for a longer period of time.

Oh yeah, congratulations on the Wave winning the championship. The Blast lost just to keep the league a little more exciting. :rolleyes:

As both Sam and I have pointed out (in another thread), the historical record clearly indicates the Spirit and Blast are two different and entirely distinct organizations. The Wave was and has been one continuing organization. This honestly isn't rocket science.

robster2001
05-28-2011, 02:46 PM
But even that doesn't matter. What on Earth do you gain whether or not your team or Milwaukee is the oldest franchise? Who cares?

It's Baltimore. What else do they have to cheer for?

* Their baseball team is run by a tightwad megalomaniac.
* Their football team was stolen from Cleveland*.
* Their basketball team has been in Washington for decades.
* They couldn't support minor-league hockey.

It's the Blast or Johns Hopkins lacrosse, really.

:D

*Yes, I know Indianapolis (actually, Jim Irsay) stole Baltimore's team. But two wrongs still make a wrong.

wasteland
05-28-2011, 09:43 PM
Well, Baltimore has this going for them:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/112804/most-dangerous-cities-247

BlastFan
05-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Quite a few of those cities have had hosted MISL teams. Interesting...

Soccer-Man
05-29-2011, 12:42 PM
You're still wrong. The Wave is the same franchise it's always been. The one-week he mentions would be nothing but a furlough for employees. Why are you so hung up on this. Oh, and the Milwaukee Wave beat the Baltimore Blast for the 2010-11 MISL title!

Yes, the *Milwaukee Wave are the 2010-11 MISL Champions. I truly believe that the sports world can clearly see who the *Wave really are..........and how they won the coveted MISL title.

SHAME

Soccer-Man
05-29-2011, 12:56 PM

BlastFan, what a privilege it is to finally communicate with someone who actually does fantastic research, on such a controversial topic.

My good friend, take a bow because you just put the final nail in this coffin. I have tried for years to right the wrong that the *Milwaukee Wave were the oldest active professional soccer team in the nation. They have propetuated this lie to a niave public, knowing that the BALTIMORE BLAST were indeed king of this throne.

It is also refreshing that *Milwaukee Wave Owner, Jim Lindenberg has chimed in to tell the truth on this matter. The *Wave folded in 2009; even if it was only for a week, they folded. That's it folks.

Soccer-Man
05-29-2011, 01:00 PM

* Their baseball team is run by a tightwad megalomaniac.
* Their football team was stolen from Cleveland*.
* Their basketball team has been in Washington for decades.
* They couldn't support minor-league hockey.

It's the Blast or Johns Hopkins lacrosse, really.

:D

*Yes, I know Indianapolis (actually, Jim Irsay) stole Baltimore's team. But two wrongs still make a wrong.

It's evident they you don't know much about BALTIMORE sports (maybe sports in general, but I digress)!!!!!!

wasteland
05-29-2011, 02:13 PM
It's evident they you don't know much about BALTIMORE sports (maybe sports in general, but I digress)!!!!!!

Talk about the pot calling the kettle black

http://www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18199

preeths
05-29-2011, 03:03 PM
Some just like to ignore all the actual facts that don't back up their own ill-formed, groundless opinions. We can continue re-hashing your factual inaccuracies, or you can simply refer to the actual research found in this thread:
http://www.oursportscentral.com/boards/showthread.php?t=18442

Sam Hill
05-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Yes, the *Milwaukee Wave are the 2010-11 MISL Champions. I truly believe that the sports world can clearly see who the *Wave really are..........and how they won the coveted MISL title.

1) As if "the sports world" gives a darn about the MISL
2) as if the MISL title is "coveted"
3) as if the Blast didn't win the title the exact same way a few years ago without a peep from you.

Sam Hill
05-29-2011, 03:53 PM
BlastFan, what a privilege it is to finally communicate with someone who actually does fantastic research, on such a controversial topic.

The rest of us did research, too. You simply choose to ignore it.

It is cool that you two completely different people managed to find each other, though. Cough cough.

My good friend, take a bow because you just put the final nail in this coffin. I have tried for years to right the wrong that the *Milwaukee Wave were the oldest active professional soccer team in the nation. They have propetuated this lie to a niave public, knowing that the BALTIMORE BLAST were indeed king of this throne.

Your team lost. You know that, right? Your team lost. And nobody gives a rat's behind who's older except you and your buddy.

It is also refreshing that *Milwaukee Wave Owner, Jim Lindenberg has chimed in to tell the truth on this matter. The *Wave folded in 2009; even if it was only for a week, they folded. That's it folks.

What do you have against reality? Seriously.

The Blast folded, too. Lindenberg will admit it, but you won't. What's the difference there, exactly?

The Baltimore Blast ceased to exist in 1992. Period. Full stop.

The second franchise then re-taking the Blast name and Ed Hale buying them does not close the loop on that. It doesn't. You're a moron.

robster2001
05-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Which point was I wrong about?

The Orioles are run by Peter Angelos. Nuff said.
The Ravens were the Cleveland Browns for 40+ years.
The Washington Wizards were once the Baltimore Bullets.
Do the words "Baltimore Skipjacks" mean anything to you?

And I'll add that 1st Mariner Arena may only avoid the title "Worst Arena In The Mid-Atlantic" only because they haven't blown up the Richmond Coliseum. Yet.

You and your alter-ego are, frankly, frightening. You're fixated on the Blast in a way that Chris Hansen might find creepy. I strongly suggest you find a hobby to distract you from your hobby. :)

In the meantime... if a one-week furlough means a team folded, how many NFL teams are folding this month?

BlastFan
05-29-2011, 10:38 PM
The Wave aren't completely lying, they have had the same name for a longer period of time (haha). But what's interesting is they've claimed home to quite a few arenas throughout their "ever-lasting continuous operation."

Also, how many years do they consider professional? I mean it wasn't until the 90's the two teams met in the highest pro indoor league. Until then it was sub-par for the Wave. The Blast are the only ones to be in all 3 MISL's... Do I even dare mention the traveling circus act the Wave were part of in the XSL?

BlastFan
05-29-2011, 10:58 PM
Baltimore Blast/Spirit: Same top league level, same arena, same staff/coaches/players, different name

Milwaukee Wave: Various league levels, different arenas, same staff/coaches/players, same name *most recent to shutdown for a period of time.*

Who's older? Any fool could tell (except for the unpaid intern who writes the articles for the Wave.)

preeths
05-30-2011, 08:14 AM
You really don't want to understand this, do you, BlastFan?

Sam Hill
05-30-2011, 10:14 AM
The Wave aren't completely lying, they have had the same name for a longer period of time (haha). But what's interesting is they've claimed home to quite a few arenas throughout their "ever-lasting continuous operation."

Because the great sports city of Baltimore hasn't built a new arena in 50 years. I believe the Wave have played in three buildings.

Also, how many years do they consider professional? I mean it wasn't until the 90's the two teams met in the highest pro indoor league. Until then it was sub-par for the Wave.

Because, of course, the party don't start 'til the Blast walk in. Just keep parsing until you get the result you want, the one that will make you feel better about yourself.

The Blast are the only ones to be in all 3 MISL's... Do I even dare mention the traveling circus act the Wave were part of in the XSL?

Do I even dare mention the NPSL Baltimore joined in 1992...the one that already had Milwaukee in it?

tops804
05-30-2011, 02:45 PM
Baltimore is infact the oldest indoor team!

...and in a related story.

Soccer-man & Blastfan are proud to announce the reunion of those types of kids on the playground who sat together off to the side. Convinced that the Earth was really flat, music came from "those guys inside the radio", and that Monopoly money was indeed legal tender.

...and that everyone else just didn't know what they were talking about and were just being mean to them.

balthrop
05-30-2011, 07:27 PM
For the last time: the Houston Summit was an original MISL team founded on September 30, 1978 and moved to Baltimore on May 1, 1980. The team folded in June of 1992.

An NPSL franchise was awarded to new owners with no connection to Ed Hale on July 20, 1992. This franchise adopted the Blast nickname on July 10, 1998.

They are not the same franchise. The Wave have played continuously in Division II (AISA/NPSL, XSL) and Division I (NPSL after 1991-92 and MISL II/III) since 1984. This makes them the oldest franchise currently in existence.

BlastFan
06-02-2011, 01:39 PM
I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit. In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?) For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices. Players were even allowed to sign with other teams. 'Nuff said.

To wrap this up: The 2011 Blast founded in 1992 have been continually operated longer than the 2011 Wave who regained operations in 2008.

tops804
06-02-2011, 01:51 PM
I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit. In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?) For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices. Players were even allowed to sign with other teams. 'Nuff said.

To wrap this up: The 2011 Blast founded in 1992 have been continually operated longer than the 2011 Wave who regained operations in 2008.

Originally Posted by BlastFan
To wrap this up:

Is that a promise???

preeths
06-02-2011, 01:55 PM
Denial, delusion, lather, rinse, repeat.

BlastFan
06-02-2011, 02:03 PM
Is that a promise???

Until the Wave stop falsely promoting that they are the longest continually operated franchise on the bottom of their pages. In their latest news articles, it looks like they have stopped (maybe they've read this thread, I know the truth does hurt at times...).

Denial, delusion, lather, rinse, repeat.

Hey man, you can't deny facts.
31 years of indoor soccer in Baltimore as apposed to 27 in Milwaukee
19 years of continuous* operation in Baltimore as apposed to 3 in Milwaukee.

*continuous being defined as no periods under a "shutdown" or periods under "hiatus"

Either way you look at it, the Baltimore Blast are the oldest continually operated team/franchise.

Sam Hill
06-02-2011, 02:06 PM
I hate compromising my ideas but for the sake of it I will. I'll go along with you and say the Blast were founded in 1992 as the Spirit.

See, now we're making progress.

In the Wave's statement they claim to be the oldest continually operated franchise. That statement is wrong.

For one week, the Wave were shut down. For quite some time before that, they weren't even part of a league. (Were they planning on playing themselves the next season?)

Oy, vey.

Hey, what league were the Blast in between May 31 and September 9 of 2008?

For a week, if you called the Wave office you wouldn't get an answer. Why? They had abandoned their offices.

For a whole week? My God, that's an eternity...in the summer...of a sport that's played in the winter. That's never happened before!

Players were even allowed to sign with other teams.

Out of curiosity, how many actually did?

'Nuff said.

That's the sound goalposts make when they're being moved.

Or was it 2009? After that interminable one-week layoff where you couldn't reach anyone in their offices?

And then, the big question: so what? If you insist on this trivial distinction that's a quibble if there ever was one, what do you get out of this?

They beat your team in the final. That's why you're pissed.

BlastFan
06-02-2011, 02:10 PM
They beat your team in the final. That's why you're pissed.

Believe me when I say this, I'm glad they did. About time another team won for a change, it creates a little more excitement in this league and opportunities for newer teams.

BlastFan
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM
Oy, vey.

Hey, what league were the Blast in between May 31 and September 9 of 2008?

Hale was in the process of forming the NISL. And the phone lines to the Blast offices hadn't been disconnected yet... :rolleyes:

For a whole week? My God, that's an eternity...in the summer...of a sport that's played in the winter. That's never happened before!

That was their official shutdown but their team had been intangible for some time before then (the whole "Save the Wave" campaign, what league were they part of?, etc.)

Sam Hill
06-02-2011, 04:59 PM
Hale was in the process of forming the NISL.

And the XSL - which was announced BEFORE the NISL was announced, by the way - was in the process of being formed, too.

So let me get this straight....it IS a big deal that the Wave weren't in a league for 100 days in the summer of 2008, but it's NOT a big deal that the Blast weren't in a league for 100 days in the summer of 2008? Because Ed Hale was in the process of forming the NISL, but no one was in the process of forming the XSL which was...announced before the NISL was.

Okay, I see what you did there. I think. Idiot.

That was their official shutdown but their team had been intangible for some time before then (the whole "Save the Wave" campaign, what league were they part of?, etc.)

See above....WHAT THE **** ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Now it's about "who's intangible?"

Let me ask you this: between the 2008-2009 season and the 2009-2010 season, how many scheduled games did the Milwaukee Wave miss? What does a week in the summer mean, exactly?

Believe me when I say this, I'm glad they did. About time another team won for a change, it creates a little more excitement in this league and opportunities for newer teams.

So we are to believe this: it's no big deal to you that your team didn't win the title (at home, no less), but it's a huge deal to you that you are able to cheer for the longest continuously-operated-because-there-was-that-one-week-where-the-Wave-didn't-have-phone-service franchise?

Really? That's your testimony? Do you know how idiotic that sounds?

No, you don't. Because you're a dolt.

Roll your eyes at that, moron.

BlastFan
06-02-2011, 07:30 PM
And the XSL - which was announced BEFORE the NISL was announced, by the way - was in the process of being formed, too.

One word: Clueless!

An article on baltimoreblast.com, published on September 9, 2008 talks about the newly created league and the teams that would be involved in it. Keep in mind this was an informative article, the league was established some time before then.

(http://www.baltimoreblast.com/news/mislnews/index.html?article_id=11)

How the hell does that put the XSL founded before them, when their first press conference to announce the friggin league and its name was on September 16, 2008? 'Splain that please!

(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/soccer/32517144.html)

Furthermore, wth does the starting up of the NISL and the XSL have to do with the price of beans? As I recall, the last team to shutdown for a period of time that still is playing today shutdown after the XSL did. So whats the formation of those leagues have to do with anything at all?

tops804
06-02-2011, 09:07 PM
One word: Clueless!

An article on baltimoreblast.com, published on September 9, 2008 talks about the newly created league and the teams that would be involved in it. Keep in mind this was an informative article, the league was established some time before then.

(http://www.baltimoreblast.com/news/mislnews/index.html?article_id=11)

How the hell does that put the XSL founded before them, when their first press conference to announce the friggin league and its name was on September 16, 2008? 'Splain that please!

(http://www.jsonline.com/sports/soccer/32517144.html)

Furthermore, wth does the starting up of the NISL and the XSL have to do with the price of beans? As I recall, the last team to shutdown for a period of time that still is playing today shutdown after the XSL did. So whats the formation of those leagues have to do with anything at all?

Awwwwwwww......He swore!!!!! Wait'll your mother finds out!!! :mad:

The XSL was formed, in fact; in August of 2008. Doofus.

http://www.wisconsinsoccercentral.com/set-pieces/professional/726-milwaukee-wave-to-join-xsl

Milwaukee Wave to join XSL
By Eric Anderson
Sunday, August 31, 2008 9:25 PM

The Milwaukee Wave will be a charter member of the Xtreme Soccer League, which apparently will be one of two rival indoor soccer leagues starting this fall.

The Wave previously played in the Major Indoor Soccer League, which disbanded in June. At least three other former MISL teams also will be in the XSL: the Chicago Storm, Detroit Ignition and New Jersey Ironmen. More details about the league is scheduled to be unveiled Sept. 16.

In addition to the MISL, Milwaukee also has played in the American Indoor Soccer Association and the National Professional Soccer League during its 24-year history. Media reports indicate that several of the other former MISL teams will be part of another new league.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/services/releases/?id=3710544

Official unveiling of Xtreme Soccer League takes place September 16

HOFFMAN ESTATES, Ill. - A new interactive sports lifestyle debuts Sept. 16, 2008, with the formal introduction of the Xtreme Soccer League and the Xtreme Soccer Xperience. More than an indoor soccer league, the XSX is an energetic and innovative 12-month experience built around skilled soccer professionals, entertainment and fan participation - both live and online.
"Soccer played a major role in my life, and those of my partners," said Viktor Jakovljevic, co-owner of the Chicago Storm. "To be a part of this lifestyle brand is a dream come true."

"It took us only a short time to fully appreciate the impact this lifestyle brand has, and we are elated to be at the forefront of the Xtreme Soccer platform," said Jeffrey Vanderbeek, co-owner with Michael Gilfillan of the New Jersey Ironmen.

"We are thrilled to enter our Silver Anniversary season in the new and exciting format of Xtreme Soccer," said Charles Krause, owner of the Milwaukee Wave.

"Being part of a group that is committed to long-term success and understands the value of such an amazing product is truly special," said John Hantz, owner of the Detroit Ignition.

All information pertaining to the XSL and XSX will be available on Sept. 16, including markets, schedules and contact information. More details on that event will follow.

The Chicago Storm organization enters 2008-2009 for its fifth season of professional indoor soccer. Storm offices are located at 5333 Prairie Stone Pkwy., in Hoffman Estates. For more information on all aspects of Storm soccer, including season tickets, group outings, birthday parties and more, call (866) STORM-81, or visit www.ChicagoStorm.net.

Of course, I don't know what this has to do with anything. Both franchises were established and active for that summer, knowing they would have to find or form a new league.

preeths
06-03-2011, 09:23 AM
It is not uncommon at this level of sports for franchises to "shut down" for a period in the offseason. We get notes from teams quite often saying their offices will be closed between certain days. Doesn't mean anything.

BlastFan
06-03-2011, 12:37 PM
Yeah, but its kind of different when your team is without an owner and league to play in for the next season... Basically all Lindenburg bought was their name and reputation...

preeths
06-03-2011, 01:56 PM
No, he didn't. He bought the entire works including physical assets from Charles Krause. The Wave was not a new franchise, it was the same one that had been operating for years before Lindenburg took over.

JeffCapo
06-04-2011, 05:04 AM

just a minor correction - it was ROBERT Irsay who snuck out in the middle of the night with the Colts in 1984. Jim is his son and current owner of the team.

Soccer-Man
06-06-2011, 07:45 PM

Again, I admire the good fight in you to tell the masses the truth, but you will never convince them.

On one hand, they refuse to accept the 31 years of continuous indoor play to *Milwaukee's 27. Even if you take away all the different leagues and the shutdowns and folded this and folded that, BALTIMORE still trumps Milwaukee by 4 years. That's just simple math.

Now if on the other hand, they want to bring in the whole 1992 Spirit in the NPSL, it's only fair to bring in the 2009 SHUTDOWN. And even in that scenario, BALTIMORE trumps *Milwaukee 19 years to 2. The team was out of business. Had no owner. No money. No paid staff. No central office. Even Jim Lindenberg said the team was out of business. So if they're trying to say that the BLAST folded in 1992, than the *Wave folded in 2009. They can't have it both ways, hence they appear to be hypocritcal.

SHAME

Soccer-Man
06-06-2011, 07:51 PM
No, he didn't. He bought the entire works including physical assets from Charles Krause. The Wave was not a new franchise, it was the same one that had been operating for years before Lindenburg took over.

Well, Ed Hale "bought the entire works including physical assets "from the Spirit. He merged all the BALTIMORE indoor soccer history as well.

The BLAST NATION is strong!!!!

Round Lake Illini
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
Geez, I don't know what argument is more tiresome, which team is the oldest or which team "won" the 2011 MISL title! :D

preeths
06-07-2011, 08:55 AM
Well, Ed Hale "bought the entire works including physical assets "from the Spirit. He merged all the BALTIMORE indoor soccer history as well.

The BLAST NATION is strong!!!!
The current Blast and the Spirit is the same organization, I believe. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The original Blast died along with the MISL.

Soccer-Man
06-07-2011, 11:53 AM
The current Blast and the Spirit is the same organization, I believe. I don't think anyone is arguing that. The original Blast died along with the MISL.

My point is, Ed Hale now owns ALL of BALTIMORE indoor soccer history; Blast1, the Spirit and Blast2. He merged ALL of it together.

When he declined to join the NPSL, he held on to all of the Blast history, name, copyrights etc. He refused to sell it to Bill Sealey. BUT, Mr. Stealy used everything else; players, coaches, practice facility, arena, you name it.

That's not what I would call a new team.

preeths
06-07-2011, 12:25 PM
Ha! That's your argument!? A fictitious merging of history? History is written by the victors. No one in indoor soccer qualifies.

Pounder
06-07-2011, 12:37 PM
All this for DEAD SPORT WALKING.

Really?

BTW, kind of funny how the United to Baltimore rumors came to a dead stop.

BlastFan
06-07-2011, 01:40 PM
You exactly right soccer-man.

Either way, 31 continuous years of soccer in Baltimore to 27 continuous years of soccer in Milwaukee OR 19 years of soccer in Baltimore since the last "stoppage" to 2 years of soccer in Milwaukee since the last "stoppage."

Both ways, Milwaukee came after Baltimore in indoor soccer by 4 years and Milwaukee's team that plays today regained operations after Baltimore already fielded a continuously running team for umpteen years.

We can also go back to the "professional" argument. Baltimore's always been a top dog in the top leagues whereas the majority of Milwaukee's seasons have been played as top dog in the puppy leagues.

Taken from the Baltimore Blast Official Myspace (http://www.myspace.com/yourbaltimoreblast):

The Baltimore Blast is a member club of the Major Indoor Soccer League (MISL). The Blast has been in Baltimore since 1980 and is the longest-consecutively running soccer franchise in the United States. The team has won four MISL Championships - and has won three of the last five League titles. For information on tickets, call 410-558-4294.

Nothing more to be said on the matter.

preeths
06-07-2011, 02:04 PM
Except that it simply isn't true. They can claim anything they like, but the original Blast died along with the MISL. The historical record, pointed out in another thread, proves it. On the other hand, the Milwaukee Wave organization has not died.

dmbishop
06-07-2011, 02:17 PM
So, in a nutshell, you guys have managed to fill 45 posts about some marketing hyperbole on a MySpace page.

Hockey
06-07-2011, 04:45 PM
If an indoor soccer team plays in a city and no one is there to watch it, did it really happen?