PDA

View Full Version : Frederick Keys to join in 2012?

toad455
01-31-2011, 03:07 PM
Loudoun & Sugar Land are already expected to join, but now the Frederick Keys look likely for 2012 as well. The team would play at Harry Grove Stadium. Now the league needs to find more teams near Sugar Land for 2012.

http://www.ydr.com/revolution/ci_17238422

Texasrangers13
01-31-2011, 04:24 PM
Nope, doubt it happens. They will make a pitch for them, but I highly doubt that pitch will pass in Frederick. I'd love it if it did, but it doesn't make sense for the team.

BlastFan
02-03-2011, 09:21 AM
That is interesting because Opening Day Partners are proposing a team in Montgomery County, MD.

http://openingdaypartners.com/pdf/RedgateEducationandFamilyEntertainmentCampusBook.p df

I'm a blue craber but I'd definitly love to travel to the other teams in MD and even the one in Loudoun County. Eventually I plan on visiting most of every single ball park in the atlantic league (with the exception of Sugarland of course). But can MD support 3 independent league teams esp. keeping the Baysox, Nationals, and Orioles in mind?

toad455
04-19-2011, 06:09 PM
I potential see the league at 12 teams next season and possibly 15 teams in 2013.

If the league changes its alignment based on geography, it should look like this:

NORTH
Bridgeport
Long Island
Somerset
Camden
(Nassau 2013)

SOUTH
York
Lancaster
Souther Maryland
Loudoun
(Frederick 2013)

MIDWEST
Sugar Land
Laredo
TBA
Road Warriors
(TBA 2013)

elpaso
04-20-2011, 09:42 PM
Unless something change inthe past few days, Laredo belongs to the American Association. They were awarded the rights to the new stadium that will be built.

Zeyes
04-21-2011, 11:16 PM
Nope, doubt it happens. They will make a pitch for them, but I highly doubt that pitch will pass in Frederick. I'd love it if it did, but it doesn't make sense for the team.
The Atlantic League isn't making a pitch for the team, they're trying to replace it. What's at issue is whether a tenant change for the ballpark makes sense for the city.

GoCyclones!
05-16-2011, 11:40 PM
I've heard from a somewhat credible source that this looks likely to happen, that the Atlantic League will move into Frederick. I'll be honest, the move doesn't sit well with me and I hope it doesn't happen. I like the idea of going into markets that don't currently have teams but I don't like the idea of raiding other markets. I think that turns off a fan. I know of a couple people that wouldn't get behind the league from the beginning because they felt Bridgeport killed off the New Haven Ravens. It certainly turns me off and I can't imagine the people in Frederick will be overly enthused after being an O's team for so long.

jidyfan
05-25-2011, 12:28 PM
It looks like the Atlantic League won't be going to Frederick. In articles released today, the Frederick committee looking into the proposals have recommended the Keys over the Atlantic League representatives. While this decision is not final, it is a huge set back for the Atlantic League.

Here are some links to the stories.

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/159533637

http://www.masnsports.com/steve_melewski/2011/05/great-news-for-the-frederick-keys-franchise.html

GoCyclones!
05-26-2011, 12:04 PM
Thanks. I saw that as well. I was actually in Frederick over the weekend. I spoke to some folks about it and although no one knows for sure everyone seemed optimistic the Keys will remain, and NO ONE seemed enthusiastic about the prospect of losing the Keys and the Atlantic League coming in. It was interesting, the team actually distributed letters to the fans comparing the two leagues and calling on fans to go to the local media to voice support for the Keys. I can copy it here if people are interested in reading it.

I don't see how this is a "huge setback" for the league. They took a chance and if it doesn't happen, the league will still survive. Again, I wasn't happy about it. I love being in the Northeast with many teams within a few hours' drive, but I don't like the idea of raiding existing markets. I may have said this but I have friends that refuse to come to a game because they feel the league killed off the New Haven Ravens. I can't disagree with them for that. I regret not having the opportunity to see a professional game at the historic Yale Field.

In unrelated news, there's a group trying to bring baseball back to Atlantic City. I personally am skeptical but I wish them luck.

I heard Kinston, NC which is losing the Kinston Indians after this season could be looking to get an indy team. They usually didn't draw well as my understanding is it's a remote location.

bectond
06-03-2011, 11:21 PM
I think MOCO (Rockville or Urbana) and Baltimore Co(Reisterstown or Owings Mills) would be better choices for Atlantic league expansion then Frederick. Isn't the purpose of the league to put teams in areas that can't get an affiliate? Clearly, Frederick does not have that problem being that it already host a team. If the league goes to 16 teams an Additional team in the Philadelphia or Central PA area will be needed along with two more teams in the DMV. I believe placing the teams closer to DC and Baltimore would be wiser than placing a team in Western MD.

Zeyes
06-04-2011, 02:22 AM
16 teams?!

bectond
06-05-2011, 02:45 PM
16 teams?!

Yup, I have read that the Dulles area, Houston Area, Boston area, Westchester County, Long Island and Montgomery County could be joining the league in the next few years. That would make 13 teams. (14 if the Road Warriors continue as a travel only team in Texas to support the Sugar Land team.)