PDA

View Full Version : Are you kidding me?

runninref
11-01-2010, 07:45 AM
Seattle Mountaineers opens season at Idaho Stampede - Oct 31, 2010 (by Gianni Pascucci)
An interesting inter-league game was announced some days ago by the #11 ranked Seattle Mountaineers of the American Basketball Association. They will open the 2010-2011 season against the NBA Development League team, the Idaho Stampede in a pre-season game. The November 18th game will be in Boise, Idaho at Qwest arena, 7:00pm.
The remainder of the Mountaineers schedule has the team travelling to Michigan, Indiana, Las Vegas, Canada and California. The Mountaineers will play 14 of its 23 games against teams ranked in the ABA Pre-season top 24.
We have put together a schedule that will prepare us for a run at the ABA Championship, stated Coach Don Sims . The Mountaineers are led by returning starters Rashad Powell (6'6''-G-81, college: Idaho) and Brian Spielman (6'9''-F/C-83, college: Chapman).

Great for the Mountaineers. What does this say about the Dleague?:confused:

alaska
11-01-2010, 09:02 AM
I live in Idaho and had the same question, why would the Stampede play the Seattle Mountaineers?

After talking with several basketball sources here, it appears Coach Sims and members of the Stampede coaching staff are old buddy's. So I guess, like in D-I basketball, this game was more about doing an old buddy a favor than the ABA and D-league.

time out
11-03-2010, 08:15 PM
I can't believe this is allowed under the franchise agreement of the d-league. If by chance the ABA team wins this game it will be a complete disaster for the image of the d-league and quite a feather in the cap of the ABA.

Ken, Steelheads fan
11-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Great for the Mountaineers. What does this say about the Dleague?:confused:
It's pre-season. Why not?!

turbocamyes
11-08-2010, 01:36 PM
I could be wrong but I thought I saw a headline that stated that the Santa Barbara Breakers of the WCPBL are playing the Bakersfield Jam. I think it is good for basketball and it gives the players on the Breakers and Mountaineers some exposure. Think of it as if a team from the ACC played a DIII team to open the season. No harm, no foul.

turbocamyes
11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Idaho beat Seattle 82-67 on the 18th. Here's a link to the Mountaineers box:

http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams/default.asp?u=SEATTLEMOUNTAINEERS&t=c&s=basketball&p=boxscore&gameID=407675