PDA

View Full Version : A new team in Sugar Land.

alkalinefan
09-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Is there actually going to be a team in the Atlantic League (Sugar Land) that is based in the Houston ,Texas Area.What is up with this?Houston looks to be over a thousand miles away from some of the cities that will be in their league.It would almost be like having a team in the Metro Dtroit Area(If we had one) in the Florida State League.

dmbishop
09-24-2010, 03:57 PM
The Atlantic League is setting up the beginnings of a western division, probably with a combination of other new franchises and existing teams from other leagues. (Un)Fortunately, Sugar Land has a year head start out there by themselves unless there are some off-season defections (a distinct possibility).

GoCyclones!
09-24-2010, 05:55 PM
It sounds crazy at first but there are limited expansion opportunities along the eastern seabord. They need more than eight teams with a 140 game schedule. It's doable though. An airline sponsorship (Continental or Southwest) could make it easier. The word is increasing the schedule to 144 games, with those extra games solely for purpose of paying for travel. The ULB is on the ropes with a couple strong teams in their league. They could probably snag three teams there, maybe even get Jose Canseco and his knuckleball as well.

playballnyy
09-27-2010, 08:41 AM
I wish the League would spend time, energy, and money in current teams with struggling attendance first. Then move on to expand. Its for the good of the league.

GoCyclones!
09-27-2010, 01:35 PM
The league needs to expand. It's wise expansion into strong markets, not reckless expansion like one sees in some other leagues. This is a good thing.

Bridgeport is doing better than last year and hopefully will continue to mprove. While I agree that not everything in Newark that can be done has been done, I think it's a major uphill battle. Every other team is doing well. I like the idea of smart expansion.

WacoTitan
09-28-2010, 12:55 PM
There are a lot of places in Texas without teams. Waco (150,000), CenTex (200,000), Abilene (100,000), etc...

GoCyclones!
09-29-2010, 02:18 AM
I was talking to buddy of mine who is very familiar with the great state of Texas (in fact, not only is his project to visit every ballpark in the country but every county in the country.) and he believes it would almost certainly have to be some sort of merger as there aren't many viable markets available. I thought Galveston could be an option, but he disagreed. I remember reading how a few years ago Waco was interested in attracting a team but haven't heard anything since. Have you heard anything on that front? I haven't found any news whatsoever about that.