PDA

View Full Version : Rockford Rampage For Sale

wasteland
07-25-2010, 05:31 PM
ROCKFORD — In April, the Rockford Rampage announced plans to return to the Major Indoor Soccer League. This, despite speculation the organization would fold or relocate.

But now, with four months before the start of MISL’s 2010-11 season, the future of the Rampage is once again in jeopardy.

Rampage president and founder Oscar Albuquerque confirmed Saturday that the MISL club is up for sale.

“We are trying to get some investors to take over the organization or at least become primary shareholders,” Albuquerque said. “The hope is to keep team in the area.”

The Rampage organization began operations in 2005 as the Rockford Thunder in the now-defunct American Indoor Soccer League.

Last season, the Rampage failed to make the MISL playoffs after finishing in last place with a 7-13 regular season record. The MISL recently added the Missouri Comets as its sixth team.

The Rampage is also in the final year of a three-year contract with the MetroCentre, where the team has averaged just over 1,000 fans in two seasons.

Albuquerque said there are interested bidders, including local investors and investors from outside of the area. According to MergerNetwork.com, Rampage officials are asking for between $100,000 and $500,000 for the team.

“The outside bidders are willing to keep the team Rockford,” Albuquerque said. “And that’s what we want.”

Albuquerque said the sale deadline is Aug. 16.

“If nothing happens by then, we have a tough decision to make,” Albuquerque added “But I’m optimistic this is going to work out.”

http://www.rrstar.com/sports/x522015396/Rockford-indoor-soccer-team-up-for-sale

JAKMAN
08-02-2010, 03:12 PM
That guy is optimistic, but he's also a fool. Rockford metro area has the state's highest unemployment rate at 14.8%. Nobody has the money to go buy food, let alone soccer tickets.

wasteland
08-03-2010, 12:43 PM
That guy is optimistic, but he's also a fool. Rockford metro area has the state's highest unemployment rate at 14.8%. Nobody has the money to go buy food, let alone soccer tickets.

That doesn't make sense as both the Icehogs and Riverhawks have had multiple sell-outs in the same market with higher ticket prices in the past year. From what I see first hand, its poorly marketed with bad game times, plus its soccer. :)

CorA
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
I also feel marketing is a problem. I know about the Riverhawks and IceHogs and I live an hour away. I never knew about the Rampage until recently when some former Chicago Storm players went to Rockford (I was a Storm fan.) Same with the old CIFL Raptors, the only reason I knew about them was because the IFL Chicago Slaughter used to be in their league.

Any MISL expansion? At all?

wasteland
08-03-2010, 09:34 PM
When they moved up from the small sports complex (as the Thunder in the AISL) to the Metrocentre, the attendance stayed pretty much the same.