PDA

View Full Version : LoCo Ball

HeadFirst
07-24-2010, 11:12 PM
The fact that there's such enthusiastic and widespread talk on the Atlantic League -- both positive and negative -- is truly great, and I look forward to being the same sort of savant for the new Northern Virginia club when it comes into existence soon.

And it will. A few bullet points about the new ballpark at the intersection of Rt. 28 and Rt. 7, and new AtL franchise which will call it home.

-- The organization bringing the club to Northern Virginia is VIP Baseball (vipbaseball.net).

-- The team will happen. It will begin play in 2012.

-- The ballpark will happen, the first and primary component of a new town-center type of complex, including offices, condos, restaurants and retail, hotels and a performing arts center.

-- The ballpark will have ~8000 capacity, 5500 permanent seats, 22 luxury suites, four locker rooms and one four-star restaurant.

-- The ballpark will include an ice rink, among other innovative amenities.

-- The ballpark will feature a very large $5M high-definition videoboard.

-- Groundbreaking expected in October or November.

-- The team's name, colors, logos, uniforms, website, tickets and merchandise will be unveiled in September.

-- Supposedly our "sister" franchise will be the Sugar Land club, expected to begin play also in 2012. That may be the only western outpost for a season, unless a few current AA franchises are merged (and that point is wholly speculation on my part).

-- Single-game ticket prices will range from $5 to $25.

-- Other imminent AtL markets (at least East Coast-speaking), as we all pretty much know, are Yonkers and suburban Maryland (either Montgomery County or Columbia), but not for 2012.

-- Supposedly our franchise will not be a relocation, but an expansion, as (again, supposedly) Newark and Bridgeport are safe for at least one more season after this one.

Getting professional baseball in this area of Northern Virginia -- the P-Nats are over in Woodbridge, a traffic-filled hike -- has been nearly a decade-long struggle, and wasn't a sure thing until just a couple weeks ago.

But it's gonna happen.

GoCyclones!
07-29-2010, 12:45 AM
I'm glad it's finally off the ground. I think this will be a homerun... Although I do hear talks of the P Nats wanting to build a new ballpark within ten miles of this park.

HeadFirst
09-22-2010, 11:20 AM
So it's now officiall the Loudoun Hounds Professional Baseball Club.

Curious to know what everyone thinks about the name, the logo, etc., and if you're a Northern Virginian, the ballpark's location and what amenities you'd like to see when you go to a Hounds game.

GoCyclones already said he liked the name/logo in another thread. Any other thoughts/opinions?

Next agenda items for the Loudoun Hounds: Name-Your-Mascot Contest; Ceremonial Groundbreaking; FanFest.

jidyfan
09-22-2010, 09:49 PM
I like the name and the logo. It's much better than any of the 3 choices that the Sugar Land team has. It'll be easy to get a mascot costume for it. Hopefully, they'll have at least one real hound dog as a mascot too. All the fans will be barking, they'll play "who let the dogs out" when they score some runs and also play Elvis' "Hound Dog" at every game. Vendors in the stand selling "Hound" dog franks. The list can go on and on.

park city 9
09-23-2010, 02:20 PM
I think the uniforms are sweet- maroon and grey is sweet. does anyone know what the sugarland colors/logos will be?

GoCyclones!
09-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Nothing has been announced yet for the Sugar Land team regarding team colors or even a team name.

Head, while the specs of the park look great, do you know anything about the dimensions? My only gripe about some of the AtL parks are there a few (SoMd, Lancaster, Newark) that offer cheap homeruns. I'm hoping these new teams will buck that trend. I like a good old pitchers' duel, too. Not a fan of games 11-9 with five homeruns and twelve walks that take four hours to play.

HeadFirst
10-05-2010, 06:42 AM
GoCy,

I don't think anyone has any ideas as to dimensions as yet. But we do have very good ideas as to what's going to immediately surround the ballpark's playing surface, and from that I confide -- off the record! -- that I suspect you may be disappointed with the cheapies the Hound Pound could permit.

Then again, maybe it'll be 440 to dead central like old Tiger Stadium, or we'll put the Howl of Fame actually on the field like old Yankee Stadium. We're into nostalgia like that.

But no matter; come enjoy our fine and unique accoutrements while taking in a highly skilled Atlantic League baseball contest.

HeadFirst
01-05-2011, 06:25 PM
We're about to explode with media blitzes about the Loudoun Hounds inaugural FanFest, set for February 13 at Stone Bridge High School in Ashburn. Can't disclose names yet, but we have at least two Hall of Famers, several other baseball legends, live music, giveaways and the like, Q&As and autographs and prizes and unveil the name and likeness of the Hounds mascot.

It's gonna be a big shindig. Love for anyone in the OSC community to make it there for a real big deal.

LoudounHounds.com/fanfest.php

P.S. The Hound Pound (Bark Park? Kennel Cage? Dog Yard?) is coming along nicely in design. Groundbreaking in few months, on track for 2012. Nifty things in there.

BlastFan
01-05-2011, 07:15 PM
It's nice to see that this Loudoun team is looking more and more like a success. I hope all things work out for the team. I'm a Southern Marylander but I definitely be making a few road trips to see the team in 2012. I'm a little jealous of the ice skating rink and the Hi-Def scoreboard you got there. :cool:

HeadFirst
01-11-2011, 12:23 PM
We will definitely be cultivating the Potomac River rivalry with the Crabs. (My money'd be on Hounds to crush Crabs, but I'm admittedly biased.)

The Hounds are a real thing, and very very likely will be playing in 2012 in the Atlantic League in a brand new spectacular ballpark we intend to make the envy of non-MLB professional baseball.

There are currently 11 former MLBers confirmed to attend our FanFest in Ashburn on Feb. 13. We'll have a bunch of other fun things too. Great way to spend a chilly Sunday afternoon, talking baseball with some big-name big leaguers and running around with a pack of Hounds!