PDA

View Full Version : Rumor: Proposal DLeague to Buffalo

Darrenpuppa
06-22-2010, 06:57 PM
Allegedly, there is proposal being put together to bring the NBA's D-League to Buffalo, NY. Allegedly, Rich Jacob is the man putting together the proposal. Rich Jacob was involved with the ABA teams.

"Niagara Falls native Rich Jacob, who served as coach and general manager of the previous ABA teams and will return in the same capacity with the Sharks," Source: http://niagara-gazette.com/sports/x681309097/BASKETBALL-ABA-heading-back-to-Buffalo

ABARedWhiteBlue
06-22-2010, 07:09 PM
Allegedly, there is proposal being put together to bring the NBA's D-League to Buffalo, NY. Allegedly, Rich Jacob is the man putting together the proposal. Rich Jacob was involved with the ABA teams.

"Niagara Falls native Rich Jacob, who served as coach and general manager of the previous ABA teams and will return in the same capacity with the Sharks," Source: http://niagara-gazette.com/sports/x681309097/BASKETBALL-ABA-heading-back-to-Buffalo

Ummmmmm, you missed the most important part of your link:

May 9, 2008
BASKETBALL: ABA heading back to Buffalo

Darrenpuppa
06-22-2010, 07:44 PM
No, I didn't. The link just gives a little background on Rich Jacob.

The rumor is from a various people.

Paul S
06-22-2010, 07:48 PM
The rumor is from a very people.

Ohhhhhh why didn't you say it was "from a very people". Now we are all clear.

ABARedWhiteBlue
06-22-2010, 08:21 PM
Well, we are fairly aware of Rich Jacob, but other than whispered possibilities, is there anything concrete?

LightningMan
06-22-2010, 09:17 PM
I'm pretty sure that rumors about the D-League in Buffalo belong in the D-League forum. I'm just saying.

Darrenpuppa
06-22-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm pretty sure that rumors about the D-League in Buffalo belong in the D-League forum. I'm just saying.
I think it's relevant to this forum because PBL booted Buffalo out, couldn't they recruited a new owner?

misenern
06-23-2010, 11:27 AM
I think it's relevant to this forum because PBL booted Buffalo out, couldn't they recruited a new owner?

If owners want to buy into the NBADL, they will buy into the NBADL, not the PBL. Pretty simple.

This thread is about the NBADL. Doesn't belong here.

preeths
06-23-2010, 12:10 PM
Agreed, moving.

Buffalo Super Fan
07-13-2010, 09:22 PM
Well, we are fairly aware of Rich Jacob, but other than whispered possibilities, is there anything concrete?

ABARedWhiteBlue what have you heard anything please share? Because this is the first I have heard of any of this with Buffalo and the D-League. Rich Jacob doesn't have that kind of money does he? Who is his money person? The D-League cost money to get into any ideas. I ask you ABARedWhiteBlue because you seem to be pretty connected in minor league basketball circles.

Also where would the team play if Buffalo got D-League? Also would it start next year or in a year or two? Also if anyone else knows more please share. Because this is the first BSF has heard of this. If it is true great news and BSF will buy season tickets for D-League NBA affliated basketball in Buffalo. Let's Go Buffalo

ABARedWhiteBlue
07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
ABARedWhiteBlue what have you heard anything please share? Because this is the first I have heard of any of this with Buffalo and the D-League. Rich Jacob doesn't have that kind of money does he? Who is his money person? The D-League cost money to get into any ideas. I ask you ABARedWhiteBlue because you seem to be pretty connected in minor league basketball circles.

Also where would the team play if Buffalo got D-League? Also would it start next year or in a year or two? Also if anyone else knows more please share. Because this is the first BSF has heard of this. If it is true great news and BSF will buy season tickets for D-League NBA affliated basketball in Buffalo. Let's Go Buffalo

I have heard nothing - that was the point of my post; the OP referenced a two year-old article. I don't see the D-League moving to Buffalo in the near future - they seem to be targeting smaller markets like Hamilton, ON for example.

Just a quick aside, but why to you refer to yourself in the third person ("BSF")? Wouldn't it be just as easy to say "I" or "me" instead?

Buffalo Super Fan
07-14-2010, 06:06 PM
Thank you for the updated ABARedWhiteBlue. Because I have heard nothing at all about D-League in Buffalo. As far as I know Buffalo will have no minor league basketball team in any league in 2010-11. I mentioned D-League months ago as a possiblity but that was just me throwing my opinion out there to think about in the next 5 years when the Buffalo Bills NFL will most likely will be moved to the huge Los Angeles market along with the Jacksonville Jaguars again that is just a educated guess on my part.

My thought process with D-League in Buffalo ABARedWhiteBlue is Buffalo will have more sponsor dollars and room in its sports market place because of the Buffalo Bills NFL most likely vacating the Buffalo sports market place that was my thought process nothing more. That is why I threw out there D-League but my thought process was looking down the road not now today.

Plus that thought process could be for any league it doesn't have to be the D-League it could be MISL or NASL etc. Basically all second tier leagues in general are a possiblity that won't cost the local Buffalo business person alot of money to get into with start up. When I say alot of money meaning I don't think a local Buffalo business person most like will ever be coming up with $30 or $40 million for UFL or MLS after given it alot of thought.

Buffalo to in my opinion has the type of local business person that will look for a league where they can get in with a few million dollars expansion fee plus start up not $30 or $40 million plus start up. But that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

The Buffalo sports market place is most likely going to change in this decade going from a two sports major league city to one for now. But even that could change with the economic realities our city Buffalo are and will be facing in the future. Buffalo in my opinion is going to go from a major league market place to a minor or second tier sports market place in the next decade.

Kinda of like when the Brooklyn Dodgers and New York Giants left for the coast. With the difference being New York got the New York Mets from the NL in there place. Buffalo won't get that luxury but will get teams in the Buffalo Bills place from some of these second tier leagues in my opinion.

That is why I am posting I think D-League, AFL and AHL etc have a place in Buffalo's future with the 18,690 seat HSBC Arena as there home kinda of like the Des Moines, Iowa with D-League and AFL in the Wells Fargo Arena which is a 16,980-seat multi-purpose arena. Think of Buffalo more like that in its future than oh Buffalo isn't Dallas, Miami etc. Of course were not we are much smaller and shrinking every decade.

I am not ashame to admit that but we have great fans. Buffalo has been losing population long before I was born and the problems aren't simple to fix either. My point that I take issue with on this board are the ones that say no second tier sports teams for Buffalo because there a major league market or once were. What are we suppose to do have nothing in there place if the Buffalo Bills NFL and Buffalo Sabres NHL leave the market place? That makes no sense to me that Buffalo should go from NFL and NHL to nothing.

Football of some kind is a given for Buffalo in my opinion. Buffalo would be perfected and what those leagues are looking for in my opinion. Because Buffalo's problem isn't ticket sales or sponsorship sales. It is we Buffalo don't have enough huge corporations to support the NFL long term in my opinion because of where the NFL is going in the future and where my Buffalo is going in the future opposite directions.

The NFL has basically out grown cities like Buffalo. But that isn't the case for Buffalo as a second tier expansion city in any of these second tier sports leagues in my opinion.
Will the second tier football or basketball league succeed in Buffalo? The answer is who knows but in my opinion it will be tried again by someone.

Just because Buffalo had a NFL football if the Buffalo Bills do leave also doesn't mean AFL will be successful either I realize that. Same could be said for D-League in Buffalo. Just because Buffalo had a NBA team doesn't mean the D-League would succeed.

I guess my long winded point business people are going to see a opening or a chance to get those dollars out there that once went to the Buffalo Bills if they do leave the Buffalo market place.

Buffalo is the better choice over Hamilton in my opinion because it is 90 minutes away from a NBA team in Toronto with a boarder to cross so Buffalo is far enough away to not have a NBA option within a 1/2 hour drive like Hamilton. And Buffalo is more than 3 hours away in Cleveland.

Buffalo has no high level college basketball in the area. All of Buffalo's colleges and universities are mid major level basketball at best so there is no Duke or North Carolina BCS basketball programs in Buffalo to compete with. The closest major BCS university to Buffalo is Syracuse Orange three hours away right now that don't get covered by a beat reporter in the Buffalo market place like is the case in Rochester. See that is why I bang the drum for D-League in Buffalo because there is no major NCAA basketball or NBA real close by to compete with for the potential Buffalo D-League team.

But I realize second tier sports league don't in many cases think that way it is more do you have the money and who cares if the city can realistically support it or not. Also what competition basketball wise will the D-League have to battle with in the sports market place for said city. Let's Go Buffalo

Sam Hill
07-14-2010, 06:17 PM
in the next 5 years when the Buffalo Bills NFL will most likely will be moved to the huge Los Angeles market along with the Jacksonville Jaguars

They'll both move to LA? That'll be fun.

again that is just a educated guess on my part.

Well, it's a guess, anyway.

robster2001
07-14-2010, 09:08 PM

I'm quoting Sam but aiming this at BSF. Sorry. :)

BSF,

Moving two AFC teams to the same market simply cannot happen under the current network television contracts.

I'm not even sure the NFL really wants to give itself another New York-style scheduling headache by moving one NFC and one AFC club to the Los Angeles area -- although the economics of building a new stadium in earthquake country probably will, in the end, require it.

We shall see. Personally, I think the LA market best serves the NFL as a threat to existing markets that don't want to build a stadium -- until one of them calls the league's bluff.

Buffalo Super Fan
07-15-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm quoting Sam but aiming this at BSF. Sorry. :)

BSF,

Moving two AFC teams to the same market simply cannot happen under the current network television contracts.

I'm not even sure the NFL really wants to give itself another New York-style scheduling headache by moving one NFC and one AFC club to the Los Angeles area -- although the economics of building a new stadium in earthquake country probably will, in the end, require it.

We shall see. Personally, I think the LA market best serves the NFL as a threat to existing markets that don't want to build a stadium -- until one of them calls the league's bluff.

Thank you for the information robster2001 I did not know that. But still Jacksonville or Buffalo could possible switch to the NFC. Remember we are talking NFL and profits nothing would surprise me with the NFL. Plus is tv going to care trading two small markets Buffalo and Jacksonville for the huge Los Angeles market?

I was just putting two and two together and seeing a empty Los Angeles football market with money to be made for the NFL. Jacksonville was a mistake in my opinion to begin with. And with my city Buffalo just economics of the NFL out growing Buffalo. NFC I don't see anyone other then maybe the Minnesota Vikings. But honestly I don't see the NFL leaving Minnesota but I didn't see the NFL leaving Cleveland either when they moved to Baltimore so who knows.

Also with NFL fans thinking about Toronto for the Buffalo Bills. If you ask me what I think could happen with Toronto and the NFL is this. Toronto is huge city with money but it doesn't seem to be ready right now in my opinion. I think Toronto is longer range down the road for the NFL just a guess on my part. I could see like a NFL team called the Toronto Canadiens playing all the home games in Toronto selling the franchise as sort of like a NFL Team Canada might work for televison reasons in canada so all of canada can feel apart of it aka sell more merchandise etc that way in canada? Red and White uniforms with a red maple leaf on there helmets. The CFL is another thorny issue to also think about with Toronto. But not impossible to work something out down the road.

I might try that idea too with the Toronto Blue Jays to drum up more interest in the Toronto Blue Jays also after the Montreal Expos left because the Toronto Blue Jays are struggling badly at the gate. I never thought I would see some of the attendance numbers I see coming out of Toronto for the Toronto Blue Jays.

Looking at the lukewarm response for the Buffalo Bills in Toronto and like Buffalo no new NFL stadium talked about or on the table at this point for either city. I could see NFL in Toronto down the road well after the Buffalo Bills moved away.

Like what happen after the Buffalo Braves NBA left the Buffalo market. The Buffalo Braves NBA played some games in the 1970's up in Toronto during the regular season. Much like the Buffalo Bills it was luke warm response from Toronto. Then years later after the Buffalo Braves NBA long since gone did the NBA put a team in Toronto the Toronto Raptors NBA. I could see that happening with Toronto with the NFL we will see. Because I still think Los Angeles is first with the NFL. That just my take on things with the NFL and future markets. Down the road the NFL will proablely be in both Los Angeles and Toronto. Let's Go Buffalo

Buffalo Super Fan
07-15-2010, 02:02 PM

Well, it's a guess, anyway.

Sam I just see the NFL needing two LA teams to get some kind of stadium in Los Angeles plus promises of some future Super Bowls for the numbers to work privately for investers in my opinion. I just picked the two logical NFL candiates that made sense with old owners whose teams could be available soon in my opinion for sale. But yes it is just a guess at the end of the day. As a Buffalonian and a huge fan of the Buffalo Bills I hope I am wrong as ususal. I would be very happy to read a post from Sam Hill posting in five years I was wrong about the Buffalo Bills leaving Buffalo.

Getting back to the topic at hand anyone out there hearing anything more about D-League possibly coming to Buffalo please let us Buffalo fans know. Because it is a surprise to me because I have heard and read nothing at all in Buffalo other than this board. Let's Go Buffalo

skippy
07-15-2010, 04:52 PM
I hear these whispers, and these whispers are becoming louder, and they will continue to grow until they are yelled from the rooftops of Buffalo.

"D-LEAGUE BASKETBALL IS ALL THAT CAN SAVE US!"

It's happening BSF, count on it.

Buffalo Super Fan
07-16-2010, 05:48 PM
I hear these whispers, and these whispers are becoming louder, and they will continue to grow until they are yelled from the rooftops of Buffalo.

"D-LEAGUE BASKETBALL IS ALL THAT CAN SAVE US!"

It's happening BSF, count on it.

Like I said I hope D-League comes to Buffalo skippy but I have heard nothing at all locally here in Buffalo. I am only a Buffalo sports fan I have no inside knowledge at all never did just Buffalo sports opinions. If you have any inside knowledge skippy please share with the rest of us.

I am a huge basketball fan and will buy season tickets if D-League indeed is coming to Buffalo. There are alot of old Buffalo Stampede PBL fans on this board that would like to see minor league basketball work in Buffalo like the Bills, Sabres, Bisons and Bandits. Let's Go Buffalo

Buffalo Super Fan
07-23-2010, 12:24 AM
Anyone hear anything more with the potential of D-League in Buffalo? Are we talking this year in 2010-11 or next year in 2011-12? Anything or is this just a internet rumor with nothing to stand on?

Skippy you say count on it share what you know with all of us if you can because I know nothing about this and I live in Buffalo? Who are the money people in this potential franchise? Mark Hamister? He was once interested in ABA2000 for Buffalo but couldn't get a lease at HSBC Arena. Share skippy if you know anything. Let's Go Buffalo

Sam Hill
07-23-2010, 09:32 AM
Thank you for the information robster2001 I did not know that. But still Jacksonville or Buffalo could possible switch to the NFC.

Unlikely. So, what, you'd have 17 teams in one conference and 15 in the other?

You do know that FOX pays for one conference's games and CBS for the other's right? You know that somebody's going to get hosed in a move of one of those teams to LA, right?

The reason LA has no team is because LA can't get its act together with regards to a stadium. The most talked about and easiest move is San Diego to LA because the Chargers are unlikely to get a new stadium in San Diego.

But, no, the NFL won't move two teams to LA (even though having two teams there makes a stadium deal more attractive - hey, maybe Al Davis would move).

That would defeat the TV purpose because there'd be a game in LA every week and unless they changed TV rules, Los Angelenos wouldn't be able to see as many games on TV as they enjoy now.

Buffalo Super Fan
07-24-2010, 02:09 AM
Unlikely. So, what, you'd have 17 teams in one conference and 15 in the other?

You do know that FOX pays for one conference's games and CBS for the other's right? You know that somebody's going to get hosed in a move of one of those teams to LA, right?

The reason LA has no team is because LA can't get its act together with regards to a stadium. The most talked about and easiest move is San Diego to LA because the Chargers are unlikely to get a new stadium in San Diego.

But, no, the NFL won't move two teams to LA (even though having two teams there makes a stadium deal more attractive - hey, maybe Al Davis would move).

That would defeat the TV purpose because there'd be a game in LA every week and unless they changed TV rules, Los Angelenos wouldn't be able to see as many games on TV as they enjoy now.

No Sam I met someone else would have to move to balence the conferences 16 16 if it was Jacksonville and Buffalo one would have to go to the NFC in exchange for another NFC team in place now switching to the AFC. Yes it would be differcult but not impossible either in my opinion. And yes I know there two different networks rights FOX and CBS. But this is Los Angeles the number 2 media market were talking.

And no in my opinion no one is going to get hosed because Los Angeles in my opinion will get two NFL franchises meaning one AFC and one NFC in my opinion both Buffalo and Jacksonville or who ever if it isn't Buffalo or Jacksonville.

Look Sam your preaching to the choir I can't stand that a city that is luke warm at best about wanting NFL football back Los Angeles in my opinion. Los Angeles is going to be potentially taking a NFL team out of my city of Buffalo that football in the fall is a huge part of our lives here in Buffalo. But the NFL is a business my desires or Buffalonians desires meaning nothing to the NFL in my opinion. Money is what drives major league sports today not just going to the games loyally for 50 plus years like the Buffalo Bills fans all have in Buffalo.

The Buffalo Bills aren't the Green Bay Packers that are grandfathered with the community owned team. Can a community owned team succeed in Buffalo yes in my opinion. But it is band today by the NFL. Look I hope for a mircle because I think that is what is going to have to happen for the Buffalo Bills to remain in Buffalo after Ralph Wilson passes.

As a Buffalonian this is a very hard thing to accept for fans outside of Buffalo understand Sam growing up in a WNY area as a kid as a Buffalo Bills fan like myself and watching your city get smaller and smaller and business leaving yearly. We as Buffalo Bills fans are trying to hang on to something that made our city special. We have lost so much and hanging onto the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres are us trying to fight to hang on to something after losing so much already as a community.

It is hard to really put into words just try to understand Sam why the Buffalo fans will show up no matter how bad the team is. It is because we don't want to lose anymore as a city it is a emotional thing that inless you grew up or live in the area people outside the WNY area wouldn't understand.

The Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres stand for more symbolically then just sports teams in Buffalo for most Buffalonians. That is the best way Sam I can explain it so your going to continue to see the seats filled at both Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres games no matter what product is on the field or the ice.

The Buffalo Sabres are already almost sold out for the season. There season tickets are caped at 14,000 plus and the rest will be sold quickly there is a waiting list for the Buffalo Sabres season tickets. The Buffalo Bills have two games already soldout Miami and Pittsburgh and I sure the Buffalo Bills will sell the season out for the year like they have for the past three years straight. Buffalo isn't like the Jacksonville situation.

The Buffalo Bills in my opinion will leave but not because they aren't loved and supported by the ticket buying public of Buffalo including myself. But because the business that is the NFL has simple outgrown Buffalo.

I could be bitter about it but what does that accomplish at the end of the day. I am enjoying the time I have left with the Buffalo Bills in the NFL in Buffalo. Most fans in Buffalo are taken it the same way in my opinion. We aren't going to do some silly boycotts or not support our team because that is stupid what is going on in Jacksonville in my opinion.

We going out with our heads held high that we did the best we could and we the Buffalo Bills fans weren't the reason the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo. There is no one to blame in my opinion this is a business. I haven't given up hope that the Buffalo Bills won't be the team to move to Los Angeles but I am also very realistic that Buffalo could be one of the teams because of our small market position Sam. I hope that clears things up for you. Let's Go Buffalo

panchess
07-31-2010, 07:10 AM
SkyDome isn't big enough for a full-time NFL team, and I personally don't think the NFL would move to Canada with just one team.

Buffalo could support a D-League team, but I don't see it working in a 17,000 seat arena. Don't forget the MLL. It does very well in Buffalo, even if it isn't big four major league.

Buffalo Super Fan
08-02-2010, 01:22 AM
SkyDome isn't big enough for a full-time NFL team, and I personally don't think the NFL would move to Canada with just one team.

Buffalo could support a D-League team, but I don't see it working in a 17,000 seat arena. Don't forget the MLL. It does very well in Buffalo, even if it isn't big four major league.

Panchess I know you mean NLL yes the Buffalo Bandits NLL do very well that is one of the reason why I think D-League might work in Buffalo if done right. 17,000 I would tend to agree is to large of a arena for D-League but what about the Iowa Energy at Well Fargo Arena is huge like 16,000 plus I believe.

The key with Buffalo in my opinion is two things one the potential owner needs deep pockets to properly market what ever team comes to Buffalo in the future. And two the team needs to be competitive and that goes back to number one the owner needs deep pockets in my opinion for any sports team here to catch on.

Also since you brought up the Buffalo Bandits NLL next year is there 20th year anniversary in Buffalo. See that is another point if minor league basketball wants success in Buffalo or anywhere in my opinion you can't expect instant results and success if your the potential invester to me it doesn't work that way.

Yes the Buffalo Bandits took off instantly but they also had some lean years where Buffalo didn't draw 16,000 where they were drawing only 7,000 but the Buffalo Sabres NHL who own the Buffalo Bandits NLL didn't panic and pull the plug on the team they stayed the course because they had deep pockets to stay the course in my opinion.

As for Toronto I am not worried about Toronto as a Buffalo Bills fan. I am worried more about the number two US market Los Angeles with no NFL team. And again like I said as a huge Buffalo Bills NFL fan I would be very disappointed that they left Buffalo. But I also believe in my city as a good football and good sports city overall in my opinion for it's size.

If the worse happened and the Buffalo Bills left Buffalo I would hope some invester would see Buffalo a good investment possiblity to place a UFL, CFL or Arena football team here. To me if the Buffalo Bills NFL moved out of Buffalo and Buffalo doesn't have some kind of professional football in some league two years after they left I would be very surprised as a Buffalonian. Let's Go Buffalo

Buffalo Super Fan
08-07-2010, 02:08 AM
Does anyone out there have anything more to share about the potential D-League franchise coming to Buffalo or is this just basically someones fantasy that is happening at this time? Let's Go Buffalo

Buffalo Super Fan
09-12-2010, 01:50 AM
SOS anyone out there on the D-League boards has anyone heard of Buffalo potential getting a D-League team or is this D-League board rumor nothing but a D-League board rumor with no concrete facts? Any information at all would be nice to hear since July there has been nothing. Because I still have heard nothing in Buffalo about it where I am from ever other then this D-League board. Let's Go Buffalo